Chapter 13

Punch

Chapter 13

Four weeks later, Amanda was in for a surprise. The boys were off working on their comeback, allowing Amanda to gather her wits with work and going to school. Occasionally, she'd receive a bunch of courtesy texts and phone calls from the guys checking up on her. Wanting to get her mind off Ryan, she even agreed to go out with some coworkers and had the best time of her life.

 

Ryan and Sue eventually broke up and Sue quit working for the gym altogether. In turn, Amanda found herself sticking by Ryan's side as a friend. She decided from then on that she couldn't sacrifice her friendship with Ryan all for some ridiculous feelings. Of course, not all of the guys were okay with it. “Are you sure it's a good idea?” Youngjae had asked.

 

“It's really not what you think,” Amanda assured him.

 

The guys glanced at one another before turning to face her. “We wouldn't want you to be his rebound girl,” Himchan added.

 

Amanda grinned. “Guys, who said anything about being his rebound?” she glanced around at the group. “I'm not stupid. I know what I'm doing. And believe it or not, Ryan was my friend even before he started dating Sue so you have nothing to worry about. I'll be fine.”

 

“Are you sure about that?” Daehyun asked worriedly.

 

“Yes, I'm sure,” she nodded. “Just focus on your comeback and forget about me for now. You guys have bigger things to worry about.”

 

“You're our friend, noona, and we're all just trying to look out for you,” Zelo said.

 

Amanda beamed at the tall one, placing a hand on his shoulder. “You guys are all so sweet,” she chuckled. “But seriously, I'll be fine. Now go work on that album before Bang snaps at all of you.” She said. “And I expect a signed copy as soon as it gets released!” She exclaimed, playfully shoving them out the door.

 

So two weeks later, the agency decided to mail Amanda a copy of First Sensibility along with front row tickets as well as backstage passes to Show Champion. Excitedly, she decided to ask Ryan to tag along with her. “Gee, thanks,” Ryan awkwardly said, looking down at the ticket and lanyard in his hand. “But why me?” He looked back up at her.

 

“Because you look like you could use a little vacation,” Amanda suggested. “If not you, then I would ask someone else but honestly, no one can be as fun as you, Ryan.” She grinned.

 

Ryan chuckled, “Me? Fun? Please...”

 

“And the boys will be there so you won't feel left out!” Amanda assured him. “Ever since the release of their new album as well as their new song, I haven't gotten the chance to see them. So what's better than seeing them live and backstage for all that matters?! And besides, I'm pretty sure there are pretty girls.”

 

Ryan shot her a look. “I don't know about this, Amanda...”

 

“Ryan,” Amanda firmly stated. “Remember that birthday wish you promised you'd grant for me?”

 

“What birthday wish?” he furrowed his brows in confusion.

 

“My point exactly!” Amanda exclaimed. “Consider this a very late birthday present for me!” She finally said before walking off.

 

“Hey!” he called out to her. “I never even said yes!”

 

Amanda waved to him from over her shoulder, choosing to ignore him. She was doing the right thing, she thought. The boys have no right to judge her. Ryan is just a friend. Nothing else.


 

“Isn't this exciting?!” Amanda exclaimed as they waited to get inside the venue for the boys' performance. She managed to get him to come with her after a lot of urging. She did promise to return to the gym once again as well as watching over his Siberian husky Sasha for free in return.

 

She frowned upon facing him. Throughout the flight as well as their arrival, he had been on his phone that whole time, which was starting to become annoying. What could possibly be so important for you to constantly be on your phone, Ryan? Please give me a reason to prove everyone wrong. I want to believe you want to be here with me.

 

Eventually, he looked back at her, glancing around wearily. “Uh, yeah...” he nodded. Amanda could tell he felt a bit uneasy at the number of fans showing up for the boys.

 

Instinctively, she placed a comforting hand on his shoulder. “Relax,” she told him, glancing around as well. “This is completely normal. It just takes some getting used to...”

 

“And I thought those girls waiting outside the gym was creepy...” he mumbled to himself, shaking his head.

 

“You'd be surprised at where else you could find them,” Amanda chimed in, shaking her head wearily. “Besides, you've got me.” She said with an assuring smile.

 

He chuckled. “Thanks Amanda, but I think I'll be fine,” he said, frowning.

 

Soon, the doors flew opened. “Come on,” she took his hand, proceeding to lead him inside.

 

As soon as the crowd settled in, the room grew dimmer and dimmer. “Cool glow sticks,” remarked Ryan as he browsed around the room.

 

Amanda frowned. They were the only ones without a Matoki light stick as every other Baby in the venue held up their light stick and fan signs. She was starting to feel a little left out but then decided she was wasting her time since she was clearly here to enjoy the show for her friends.

 

Just then, the whole venue grew pitch black and soon the boys entered the stage, opening their performance with their song “With You.” Amanda beamed in astonishment as she watched her friends belt out the ballad, looking as handsome as ever. Even though the song was longer, she knew that for broadcasting purposes, they had to cut off some of it much to her dismay because she really liked the song. Once the song ended, she along with the rest of the other fans screamed at the top of their lungs.

 

She chuckled at herself before turning to Ryan, who wore a slightly uncomfortable grin on his place. He looked miserable, she thought. Soon, he reached into his pocket for his phone once again. She tried her best to hide her disappointment. Obliviously, he remained distracted by his phone since the person he was texting was supposedly more important than Amanda and her friends. She should have known better than to bring him along had she’d known it before.

 

Instinctively, she leaned in to whisper into his ear. “I'm sorry,” she said, giving him a sad smile.

 

“For what?” he asked, furrowing his brows in confusion.

 

“You're not enjoying yourself,” she said, looking away. “I just thought it would be fun, that's all.”

 

He sighed. “Amanda...” he began.

 

“No,” she shook her head, blinking back her tears. “I completely understand. I should have known better than to bring you along to a place you don't want to be.”

 

“Amanda, it's not what you--”

 

“It's fine, Ryan,” she said. “If you don't want to be here, you can always go back to the hotel room and play with your phone since that’s what you’d rather be doing than to be here with me.” She bitterly stated. “I'll see you later.” she turned to face the stage. “They need me here. And I'm gonna stay just for them.”

 

He looked back at her for a long moment before sighing heavily. “Alright,” he said, standing up. “I'll see you back at the hotel room. Call me when you're done so that I can come get you.”

 

“Don't bother,” she declined, turning to face him. “I'll just have them drop me off.”

 

He knew better than to argue, raising his hands in defeat. “If you say so,” he finally said, turning to leave without another word.

 

Amanda's lips quivered, trying her best not to break down right then and there. I really am stupid for having an ounce of hope with him. The guys were right.

 

The whole room soon grew dark once again with one spotlight pointing towards the stage, snapping Amanda out of her thoughts. She needed to cast her feelings aside for her friends since it was their night. Soon, the familiar acoustic guitar instrumental of “1004 (Angel)” proceeded to play and the figure of a dancer took center stage.

 

The crowd screamed when they all saw that it was Jongup starting his dance break. And then Daehyun swooped in with his own opening lines with Yongguk stepping in to say “I need you,” in the deep and husky voice that seemed to win over all the ladies.

 

Right after, Zelo and Jongup began their dance break and soon, Youngjae stepped in to start his lines followed by Jongup. Daehyun stepped in to vocalize with Youngjae before Himchan stepped in to sing his line. Himchan was looking extra handsome in this concept, she thought as she watched on. Youngjae hit his high note before Daehyun proceeded to start the chorus followed by impressive choreography.

 

The whole crowd roared with fanchants throughout the performance brining a smile to Amanda's face. She smiled through her tears when Yongguk rapped his part followed by Zelo, who made a major show by tipping his hat on the stage with his foot. Youngjae soon chimed in with his vocals with Himchan doing his part then finally Daehyun wrapped up the verse. Daehyun led the vocals in the chorus with Youngjae chiming in during his parts.

 

Yongguk rapped passionately on his part followed by Zelo. Soon, Himchan stepped in to sing the bridge part with his own deep set voice which amazed Amanda every time he sang. The chorus proceeded to play again with Daehyun belting out his high note, which gave Amanda goosebumps every time she heard him sing. With Zelo's lines wrapping up the song, the song finally ended, earning the group a standing ovation once again.

 

Amanda stood up to cheer as well, feeling a little better after having watched her friends give a stellar performance as expected. A part of wondered what Ryan was up to after their falling out from earlier. He could be enjoying himself with her but some things never go as planned. She sighed heavily to herself before focusing her attention back to the stage where it was soon emptied of the props that were present.

 

The boys were the last to perform so they remained onstage as the MCs were preparing to announce the winners. Amanda crossed her fingers, tapping her foot impatiently against the ground in anticipation. The suspense itself was killing her as the MCs were naming the digital sales and record sales, etc. For Christ's sake! Get to the freaking point! I don't care about the sales! I just want to know who won!

 

For some reason, she was reminded of the past fights she attended whenever she went with her sister to support her boyfriend. The suspense usually killed her whenever the decision went to the judges. This was almost similar but different in so many ways. The crowd was bigger and louder than those fights. Amanda found herself wondering how Ryan would have reacted if she instead took him to a fight instead of a broadcast to support her friends. He'd probably feel more at ease.

 

Dazed, she was soon startled by the squealing from the crowd before realizing what was going on. Staring at the stage, she saw her friends stepping forward to accept their trophy. Her eyes widened. “No freaking way,” she uttered, her lips curling into a smile.

 

She stood up to applaud and cheer, screaming at the top of her lungs about how proud she was of her best friends. They had come so far since their debut that it brought a tear to her eye—well not really but you guys get the point—as she beamed proudly. Yongguk stepped forward as the MC handed him the microphone to give his acceptance speech on the group's behalf.

 

She could have sworn she saw their eyes glisten under the lighting. They appeared as if they were about to cry, she realized, grinning to herself. Reaching into her pocket, she took out her phone to snap pictures to use as blackmail.

 

As soon as Yongguk finished his speech, the stage emptied as the song proceeded to play again. This time, the guys all free styled with each guy singing a different part in the song that was not theirs. It was amusing to see Youngjae rapping to Zelo's part. Before she knew it, the guys soon spotted her in the crowd, smiling and waving at her.

 

Amanda stiffened, swallowing hard. She was not willing to draw unwanted attention to herself so she gave them a slight wave, allowing them to enjoy their fifteen minutes of newfound glory.

 

Once the broadcast ended, the crowd emptied out the venue allowing Amanda to present the backstage passes to the security guards and the stage crew before being led to the boys' waiting room. She waited a brief moment before knocking. “Who is it?” Daehyun's voice sang out from behind.

 

“Your mother,” Amanda replied, deadpan.

 

The door soon flew opened with Daehyun greeting her wearing a tightly fitted wifebeater. She could make out the outlines of his abs and before she knew it, he pulled her inside, twirling her around. “Ack!!!” she screamed.

 

“WE WON! I CAN'T BELIEVE WE WON!!!” he exclaimed at the top of his lungs.

 

“Put me down, !” she demanded.

 

“Dae, put her down,” Youngjae reasoned.

 

“Yeah, hurry it up before she screams again,” Himchan added. “I've heard enough screaming for today.”

 

“Shut up, Himchan!” Amanda snapped, glaring at him.

 

“I never said anything about your scream being annoying!” he shot back. “I could be referring to anyone!”

 

Before an argument could ensue, Yongguk cleared his throat loudly. “Alright, that's enough!” he sternly said, silencing everyone in the room. Amanda looked at him expectantly. He eventually softened before spreading his arms, waving her over. “Come here.”

 

Amanda immediately ran over to hug him tightly. “I'm so proud of you guys,” she beamed into his chest. Pulling away, she looked around at the other guys, smiling proudly at them. “Seriously. You guys nearly made me cry today. I really am so proud of you.”

 

“Nearly cried?” Youngjae said, stepping forward, studying her. “Because you look like you've been crying. Are you okay, Manda?”

 

Her thoughts soon wandered over to Ryan. “No! Not at all!” she lied, shaking her head emphatically. “I'm just so happy for you guys! That's all!”

 

“Bull,” Himchan said dryly. “Spill it, sister.” He narrowed his eyes suspiciously.

 

“Nothing!” she exclaimed defiantly.

 

“Is it because of Ryan?” Zelo blurted out. “I thought I saw him earlier after we finished the first song.”

 

Amanda turned to glare at the younger guy. He shrugged innocently.

 

“It is, isn't it?” Yongguk demanded.

 

Amanda looked away from him, refusing to answer.

 

“You brought him with you?!” Daehyun exclaimed, outraged. “After what he did to you, you brought him?! And to our broadcast of all places!”

 

Tears glossed over her eyes as she tried to blink them away. “You guys were right,” she said, sniffling. “I was really stupid into thinking he tagged along simply because he wanted to come. Simply because he might start liking me after I waited for him. But you guys were right. He only came along out of pity and not because he liked me.” she said wiping away her tears with her hand.

 

“Honestly,” Youngjae spoke up. “You deserve so much better.” He said, glancing pointedly at Yongguk.

 

Amanda simply nodded in return, oblivious to their interaction. “Thanks guys,” she said before grinning widely. “We should go celebrate your win with some dinner!” she announced. “My treat!”

 

The guys all glanced at one another. “Sounds good to me,” Daehyun shrugged casually, grabbing his shirt from a nearby chair before putting it on.

 

“Of course,” Amanda muttered to herself rolling her eyes.

 

“Alright, sounds good,” Yongguk announced, grinning at Amanda.

 

“Oh, if you guys could give me a ride to my hotel later on, that will be great,” she said as the guys all gathered to head out.

 

“Of course,” Yongguk agreed.