Heterochromia iridum 6

Heterochromia iridum

“Li Na? What are you doing here?” You take a couple quick steps to cross the cafe to Li Na. She was sitting alone at a high table, absent-mindedly stirring a cafe du lait. Sensing something wrong, you pull out the chair across from her, snapping your fingers under her nose. Startled, she knocks over her cup, spilling some of her drink before deftly catching the cup’s ear. Handing her some napkins, you watch as she dabs at her clothes. “Is something wrong?”

“Huh? No, no,” she says hastily. “Have you eaten? Should we go grab a bite? There’s a great hot pot spot near here—ow!” That, because you’d just reached over the table to pinch her arm.

“You look like you need ice cream, not hot pot,” you say, giving her a measuring look. “What’s wrong?”

Li Na sighs, resuming her stirring. “It was my birthday yesterday.”

“Oh? Happy birthday.”

“Thanks . . .”

“But?”

She sighed again. “He forgot,” she says bitterly. “And he came home late after promising he’d be home by nine. He came in tipsy at eleven—which is better than usual, since he’s usually stupid drunk at twelve or one—and had the balls to ask why I was so angry with him when he didn’t do anything. Then he just fell asleep on the couch—his sleep talking and teeth grinding would put military tanks to shame-- while I was trying to talk to him about the baby. And the candle wax all melted into the cake I bought for us to celebrate, so I couldn’t eat it.”

“Oh.” You bite your lips, knowing that you really shouldn’t laugh, since you knew he was like that. Honestly, it was nice to know that he still hadn’t changed in the least.

“And that’s not the worst of it.”

“Oh?” You lean in, waiting patiently to hear what you knew was coming next while fighting down the ticklish urges of laughter.

“He left the toilet seat up. Again. I would use crazy glue to keep it down, but then I’d have to clean it every time he walks out!” She gives her braided hair a hard tug, as if trying to uproot all her problems with him. “Seriously, Lihua. We should both just ditch the guys and marry each other.” Seeing you choke on your latte, she narrows her eyes, eying your belly. “Don’t tell me you and Yixing got—“

Pounding out the coughs and trying to look a little dignified while wiping the small droplet of latte that found its way out of your nose with a napkin, you wave a hand. “No, no! We’re not like that! We haven’t . . . I mean, we’re not pregnant! Er, well, I’m not, since he can’t, but . . . He hasn’t asked to—“ you sputter, completely flustered. Then you breathe and fan your face, slumping in your seat as you stared at the ceiling. You think back to last week’s good night kiss and your cheeks start flaming again. And something about all this was amusing Li Na, because she was giving you that look.

“Ah, I see,” she says, nodding while thoughtfully her chin.

“What? There’s nothing, really!”

“You busy today?”

“Huh?”

Let’s go lingerie shopping today, just a girls’ date, OK?”

“Wait, Li Na—“ And Li Na, despite her dainty looks, is very strong as she hauls you out of the cafe and onto a shopping spree with her.

 

Sitting in a McDonald’s, you stuff the lingerie shop packages into the large, logo-less bags from another store while Li Na happily scarfs down a parfait and some ice cream. Covering your reddened face, you slump over in your seat.

“I can’t believe I just bought . . .” your voice trails off, thinking about the pretty underwear Li Na talked you into purchasing. Did you even have the guts and balls to wear it? Well, balls, you definitely didn’t have, but . . .

Pausing with another spoonful of ice cream in her hand, Li Na manages to weasel it into your mouth. “Didn’t you ever go shopping with your mom? These things are a necessity for a woman—“ She stops at the weird expression on your face. “Lihua?”

“Mom left dad and me when I was little,” you say softly, wringing your hands in your lap. Seeing your friend about to apologize, you put up both hands and smile. “But hey, that’s the past, you know? Might as well try to live happily.”

Li Na eats another mouthful of ice cream, her lips as she pondered something. “What did you wear for Yifan, then?”

Feeling your jaw drop, you just stared at her. Dude. The two of you were at McDonald’s. Just how did this conversation even start? How did you get yourself into this mess? And don’t exes and current boos usually try to dodge these topics (and each other)?

“What . . . else is there to wear other than skin?” You finally managed to say in a strangled voice. “And really, let’s not talk about this . . . I don’t—“

Your friend just shrugs, inspecting her nails before taking a huge sip of strawberry milkshake. “The two of us—Fan and I—decided not to keep any secrets, so I know everything. He’s an , and I can’t change that or the fact that he’s my baby’s dad. So might as well embrace all of him and try to live happily together, because despite his stupidness, I love him.” She takes another sip, studying you. “You and Yixing are cute together . . . you guys should get busy, don’t you think the kids will look so cute playing together?”

Shaking your head, you began to pick at the fries for something to do. You loved Yixing, but . . . You were still adjusting to your life without Yifan, and even though it wasn’t fair to Yixing . . .

Digging through her purse, Li Na takes out various vitamins and health items, pushing them across the table to you.

“These are for men—“ you began, reading the labels.

“Fan told me to give those to you to give to Yixing.”

“Why?” And that apprehension you felt that day you went hiking with Yixing rises again. Yixing’s medicine—

“You didn’t know? Yixing is a hemophiliac.”

 

END// Heterochromia iridum 6

20160126 - building up to the =) yet another bridge chapter, I suppose ._. 2 chapters left after this . . . Jaedelle is trying to make up for the long hiatus by wrapping this arc up T_T

Recap: You go on a shopping spree with Li Na (Kris' fiancee), and she's a little surprised/unhappy with how slow things are going with you and Lay, so she helps you pick up something "special." You find out that Lay is a hemophiliac.