The Pianist

The Pianist

    “I’m sorry, Yixing. I can’t be your friend.” Was the text Ae Chu sent to Yixing the night Chen told her to stay away from him.

 

    All day, Yixing stared at the text. Finally, he closed his phone and roamed around his house for a bit. He sat on his couch arm rest and fell back on the cushioning. He sighed as memories flowed through his mind.

 

    “Yixing! I love the song! I’ll keep it close to my heart forever!”

 

    “I’m glad you like it.”

 

    Two children played together in the music room playing with the piano keys. The parents of the girl called to her to leave. As the girl was about to leave the room, she turned back and said,

 

    “I love you, Yixing! Don’t forget about me, okay?”

 

    “I won’t forget about you, either. Don’t forget me too!” He shouted back.

 

    The girl nodded her head and then she left.

 

    Yixing tossed his body around the couch and threw himself off the couch. He stood up, hand in pockets, as he walked back and forth in his kitchen.

 

    “I’m so sorry, Yixing...” His mother said, “She... She doesn’t remember who you are.”

 

    “What?! But mom! We promised not to forget about each other!” Yixing, 17 year old boy shouted.

 

    “Yixing,” His friend Chen, 18 years old, walked to him laying his hand on his shoulder, “I’m sorry...”

 

    “You need to stay away from her, okay? If you don’t she might be hurt forever,” The doctor warned, “Chen is going to watch other her.”

 

    Yixing looked over at his friend who had a stern face. He couldn’t accept the fact this is best friend could spend time with the person he loved, while he couldn’t ever see her anymore. Years had passed since the accident and Yixing would always ask Chen who she was doing.

 

    “She’s doing just fine,” Chen said.

 

    “Great... I’m sorry for always making you tell me how she’s doing... I’m just worried about her,” Yixing responded letting out a sigh.

 

    “... Yixing... I love her.”

 

    “What?!” Yixings voice rose.

 

    “She told me she liked me a few days ago and I told her I felt the same way. I’m sorry,” Chen bowed to his friend who was furious.

 

    “But you know I love her, Chen! Why are you doing this to me?!”

 

    “I loved her for a while, Yixing. I loved Ae Chu for so long, I told you that, yet you come in and start hanging out with her making her fall for you! Do you know how hurtful that was for me?!”

 

    Yixing punched the wall with the side of his fist. He remembered the accident that Ae Chu got into, making her parent’s die and then having her memories erased. He remembered having to move away from her after a few weeks from the accident. And he remembered Chen telling him he loved Ae Chu the day he was moving away.