The Start of a Struggle

Practice Liking Each Other

One Month Later

“Okay, guys, good start. Keep practicing like this and then I’ll have evaluations posted at the end of the week.” Lay tried to keep his face even as he clapped with the dancers.

Today’s practice was good, any mistakes made were minor and Lay was feeling confident in his choice of students. The teacher left first, his back aching and twisting in pain, leaving the students to relax and file out to their dorms, though relaxation didn’t come easily.

There were two solos in the showcase. Two. Lay encourages people standing out within the performance and making each person their own spotlight, but a solo is a solo and everyone wanted it. Needed it. The soloists get front and center, all attention on them. The attention of the dance company representatives was what they mostly craved, the opportunity to go big, global. To share their talent and skills with everyone and make a living off of it.

They lived for that chance. They craved it.

 

 

Kai could barely keep his composure as he stared at those who surrounded him, though. At those who were below him but thought they were above. They didn’t know what pain was, they didn’t know what it was like to struggle through life, to have nothing. They thought that this chance was a “once-in-a-lifetime opportunity” for them, but they didn’t know what’s it’s like to not have another chance. That’s all Kai could think as he shoved his hoodie into his draw-string bag, a snarl sneaking his way onto his face.

He didn’t remember when he started to become so angry, he didn’t know how. Kai just knew that he couldn’t get rid of it. It was like venom sitting in the pit of his stomach, boiling and churning furiously, infecting him from the inside out. He turned around and tried to keep himself calm as his gaze fell on the one person who got under his skin the most.

Oh Sehun.

The kid was one of the youngest, though only younger than Kai himself by a few months. Before Sehun had arrived at the school Kai was the target of bullying, him the maknae at the time. But when Sehun showed up, the attention left, which was good for the time being. But then…

Oh Sehun became the popular kid. The shining student with all the glory and praise. It disgusted Kai. Sehun went from the lowest of the low to the class favorite. The fact that Kai was surrounded by people so shallow to a point where they’d hate someone one minute and then hold that person above everyone else the next made him sick. Kai rolled his eyes and started for the door that was currently blocked by the blonde.

 

 

Sehun smiled at the new friends he’d made and stretched his arms out. The list for the solos in their upcoming showcase was going to be posted next week and once it was… there was nothing to keep him from his dream. Nothing.

He looked around at the team they’d become. Only 16 of the dancers were left, the harsh schedule weeding out those who didn’t have the drive and motivation to keep up. But those that were left had become somewhat of a family to Sehun. He turned to grab his backpack but stumbled back when a figure slammed into him.

“Watch it.” A voice growled. Sehun shook his head as the antisocial boy pushed past.

Sehun didn’t know what his problem was and, frankly, he didn’t care to find out. Kai wanted nothing to do with everyone else and it was only a matter of time before he, too, left like all the others. They’d be better without him, Sehun thought. The performers were supposed to be a team, a family, and if Kai couldn’t be that, then he was of no use.

“Hunnie! A few of us are going to go out drinking! Want to come?”

“Yeah, yeah.” He stared at Kai’s retreating form for a second longer before turning back to his new family. “The sounds like fun.” In the back of his mind Sehun thought that he should practice more, but what would one night of drinking hurt?

~*~*~

“Oooh, man.” Sehun could barely keep on his feet as he made his way out of the bar, a few of his friends still cheering behind him. Shots… So many shots…

“Sehun!” He turned and saw one of the female bartenders strutting towards him, a flirtatious smile on her face. Her named escaped the boy but she had a pleasant face that Sehun probably wouldn’t forget, regardless of his drunken state. Her hair was died a red color and short, how he liked it. It made her look fresh and framed her face beautifully, making her skin look golden. Tris. He thought hard. Was that her name? No. No, no. T… Taylor?

The girl took his arm and helped him out the bar, though once the cold night air hit Sehun bright flashes followed afterwards. His vision went white and he stumbled a few feet, his shoe soaking as he stepped in a puddle. He blinked hard and squinted at the lights for a moment before he realized he was being photographed by ‘paparazzi’.

He himself wasn’t that important, but the fact that Lay, the Lay, had started teaching dancer after his accident was something that flew over the news and stuck. Over the past month Lay had also taken to bringing some of the dancers with him for variety shows and schedules as well.

Before he had any time to react the bartenders lips were on top his, the slick gloss rubbing off around his mouth and on his own lips. The strong smell of her perfume made him choke a little, but that just let her deepen the kiss. Sehun didn’t know what else to do so he placed his hands on her waist for a second before he was jerked back, more blinding flashes disorientating him.

The younger looked up into the angry eyes of one of his fellow dancers, Leo.

“Let’s get out of here, yah?” His hand stayed firmly on Sehun’s shoulder as Ken, Baro, and B-Bomb came up on his back, pushing him through the crowd. He nodded uneasily and let the others guide him, knowing that when the headlines of the magazines came out, he’d be dead.

His stomach dropped at the thought. He was supposed to represent Lay with a pretty smile and respectful intentions, but what has he done tonight? He’s ruined it. It’s only been a month and it’s ruined. All ruined. His mom… His dad. Sehun thought it might’ve been the alcohol taking control but he cried a little. He couldn’t go home. Not because of this. Not now. He can’t. What would he say to his mother? “Sorry” ? And his father? Would he have to concede to him that he was right? That a career as a dancer was useless? Impossible, even? No… He couldn’t do that. He refused to.

But he might not have a choice anymore.

“It’s was just a few drinks…” He muttered to himself, though no one was paying attention as the paparazzi followed them through the streets.

 

 

Kai looked at himself in the mirror, his form barely visible in the low lighting.

He wanted that solo in the showcase. He needed it.

His phone was in his pocket and headphones securely in his ears as the beat boomed into his head. Nothing else was audible and it was just him and the music, him and the movements.

He needed the solo.

It was his only hope of getting picked up by a dance company and living his dream. He didn’t know how long he’d have to practice until he got the choreography right, but he didn’t care. He’d spend as much time as he has to.

First Kai went over the basic chunks of the dance, and then dissected it, getting every placement of feet correct and then even down to the movements of his hands and fingers. He started slow, with the music at half speed, and then went to normal and then even twice the speed. He had to know the dance inside out. He had to—

Kai fell to the ground and grabbed his knee, wincing and trying not to yell. His headphones fell out of his ear and he pulled his knee into his chest, the joint screaming in pain. He winced and started breathing hard, sweat pooling at the base of his neck.

His knee had been giving him troubles for the past few weeks after he managed to twist his leg badly during practice, but he didn’t bother telling anyone. Nobody cared anyway. He shook his head bitterly at the thought but then his face morphed into a wince, the pain growing. They’d think of him as weak, useless. They already think they’re better than him. An injury like this would only make it worse, confirm their beliefs that Kai couldn’t make it in the world of dance. The dancer finally let out a low yell and then laid back on the cold tile, trying to ignore the tears that pooled in his eyes. This can’t happen to him now. He’s so close to his dream. He can taste it.

Kai tried to breathe for a few moments, but the sounds of laughter caught his attention. He looked up just in time to see the doorknob to the practice room twist. He rolled onto his hands and knees and felt tears burn down his face as he slid the injured knee across the wood, scrambling to hide behind the stereo system.

No one can see him like this. Can’t see him weak. They already see him as a loner, a freak, what more do they need to ostracize him for?

Kai peaked around the corner of the stereo and watched as two of the dancers, one from China, Jackson, and one from Thailand, BamBam, emerge into the dark room, BamBam pulling on Jackson’s hand.

“C’monnn.” BamBam sang with a grin, looking up at his hyung.

Kai couldn’t stop himself from rolling his eyes at the two. It was nothing against them personally, though. It was all of them. Every single one of them. He’d found, though, that if he had to pick one, he’d choose BamBam to give him company over anyone else. He was friendly enough and had his funny moments, but what stood out to Kai was the fact that he didn’t pick on him as much as the others, he hardly did it at all.

BamBam was easily one of the shortest of the dancers here, and the youngest at 16. At first Kai thought that that would put the Thai boy as the target for picking on, and deflect from himself… But Jackson made it his job to have his back, the two being inseparable. The youngest had a round face and flat nose, his black hair casted in a fringe with a purple stripe.

Jackson, on the other hand, looked the oldest. He was tall and had hard angular features and dark eyebrows. His hair was in a unique style, one half short and the other long, the back tending to stick up a little. His lips were naturally a little pink and were now pulled into a smile as he looked down at his dongsaeng.

“What now, Bam?” He grinned, watching as the younger looked around.

Kai saw a spark in Jackson’s eyes and envied that with fervor. Kai wanted that. He wanted someone in his life who he cared for more than his own. He wanted someone else’s laughter to have the capability to make him feel alive. He couldn’t remember someone in his life who did that. He couldn’t remember the last time he felt like that, couldn’t even describe the feeling. He got sparks of it while dancing, he thought, but he always felt empty, broken.
He craved to feel whole again, but at the same time he was protective of himself. He didn’t want his emptiness to worsen—he didn’t want to be let down.

BamBam’s eyes caught onto the stereo system and Kai ducked back as the two approached.

“Well…” The small Thai boy said, a smile in his voice, “The twins are in the dorm and everyone else went out drinking, so I thought we’d have a little fun of our own.” He hit a few buttons and a soft song played over the speakers.

“Oh… I see.” Jackson laughed a little and Kai felt his heart rate go up.

What was he going to do now? He’s basically trapped! They couldn’t find him here, that’d be the worst case scenario. But then what? What else could he do? He flattened himself against the stereo and took a few silent breaths. He heard low laughing and decided that he needed to get out. Now.

Whatever was happening on the other side of the stereo was something he didn’t want to see. Or hear.

Kai pulled his shoe off and looked towards the darkest corner of the practice room. His only chance. He looked down at his other shoe.

Okay, maybe one of two chances.

He shook his head and looked back up, silently counting to three before throwing the shoe as hard as he could. Jackson and BamBam let out a yell as the projectile let out a loud thud. The boy’s heart felt like it was going to burst in that moment. There was silence for a couple beat of silence before the youngest spoke.

“What was that?” He whispered, so soft to the point where Kai could barely hear.

“I’ll go see.” Jackson tried to sound confident but his voice shook, his sneakers softly squeaking across the room.

Kai grumbled a little and took off his other shoe, looking towards the opposite corner. Maybe he could scare Bam out and Jackson would follow… He bit his lip and did as he planned, throwing his other shoe. This time it sounded like it hit… something. A loud crash sounded and BamBam screamed, immediately bolting out of the room.

“Bam? Hey, wait!” Jackson’s loud footsteps soon followed him outside the room and Kai let out a soft breath of relief.

He stood up and was about to look for his shoes, but the sound of what seemed like a stampede made him bolt out of the room immediately. He didn’t want to be stuck inside again. The sneaking boy peaked around the corner of the doorway before entering the hallway and walking briskly back toward his room, acting as nonchalant as possible. When he made the last turn down the hall where his dorm was he saw the source of the stampede, as well as smelled it.

The scent of alcohol burned Kai’s nose and eyes as he glanced at what he thought was the source of all of his problems…

Oh Sehun.

Of course.

Kai shook his head and tried to sneak by Ken, Leo and Baro, who were trying to help a clumsy Sehun into his room. Their room. Kai also had the pleasantry of rooming with Mr. Popularity, along with Baro and one of the other dancers, CNU.  Kai barely made it a few steps towards the group before B-Bomb appeared out of nowhere, a small smile on his face.

“…” Kai ducked back and turned to escape, but ran face first into something. Or someone. He took a step back and his head spun when his eyes and brain registered the figure in front of him.

Dead. They’re all dead.

“Lay.” Kai choked on the name and tried to keep his face straight. Oh no.

“To your room.” Lay said softly, not even looking at the younger. Instead, his attention was on Sehun and the drunken students before him.

Kai nodded and turned back around, jogging past B-Bomb and the others and into his room. CNU was laying on the bed as he entered and rolled his eyes at the boy before rolling on his side, a book in his hands. Kai ignored him and went to his own bed, glad that he wouldn’t get the scolding that the others definitely did.

 

 

“To your dorms.” Lay sighed uneasily and griped his phone in his hand, his twitter feed exploding with the adventures of his brightest students. “Except you.” His gaze narrowed on Sehun and the boy froze, biting his lip. He looked pitiful in the shadow of his teacher but managed to stop from swaying side to side, his vision cloudy.

Lay stared at him for a moment more before shaking his head. Sehun was in no conditioned to talk sensibly. He was out of his mind.

Lay’s own mind was fogged at the moment and he changed gears, shaking his head softly. “You can go. Sleep it off. But you’re still on for practice tomorrow.” He nodded to the boy and watched him walk back to the door. As he turned the doorknob Lay spoke up again, “And a talk.” Sehun didn’t respond, but paused in acknowledgement before disappearing into the room.

The teacher didn’t know what to do with himself. His principle dancer was slacking off, attracting bad publicity, and the other? Kai? He hated every soul in this building except for Lay. The tired man gripped his phone tighter and turned briskly back towards his office. He has calls to make and plans to devise. Lay had no doubt in his mind that Kai would be one of the two soloists, and if that was to happen, he’ll need to befriend the team, sooner rather than later.

_______________________________________________________

Words: 2955

.......

Hi 

Hope you liked it

Comment and subscribe if you did!

Some serious shiznit will be going on later.
It may get a little tense.

Though I have a lot of cute little things planned as well. 

Not sure who of Exo I'll introduce next...
But we have some Bamson from Got7 going on, which is beautiful. 

But yeah.
BuhBai
c:

xx RosePose