chapter one

My Giant Will Survive

It was a fateful fall day in 03’ when Baekhyun came across a homeless boy with unruly hair and big eyes. The homeless boy stared at Baekhyun’s silk scarf and admired the contrast between the scarf and his milky white skin. Simply based on the aura, the boy knew this observer was of money.

 

“Do you have a home?” 9 year old Baekhyun asked as he bent down and smiled cautiously, staring directly into the boy’s chocolate eyes. It was one hundred by chance he stumbled across this boy, but he didn’t regret a single second of it.

 

“No.”

 

Baekhyun grinned then clapped his hands. He had always wanted a friend and this boy looks nice.

 

“Great, you will live with me from now on!” he clapped as he whistled over a man in a black suit. “Minseok, he is my new friend.”

 

The man bit his lip and glanced at the homeless boy. He can’t say no. How could he? Whatever Byun Baekhyun wants, he gets.  

 

“Yes, master.”

 

Baekhyun smiled once again and pulled on the boy’s hand. “Do you have a name?”

 

For once, the homeless boy looked content. No one ever asked his name. “Chanyeol. Park Chanyeol.”

 

Baekhyun giggled and repeated the name over and over. “I can tell we are going to be great friends!”

 

 



 

“Master!”

 

“Minseok, go away!”

 

“Baekhyun, I r-really think we should listen to Minseok-hyung...”

 

12 year old Baekhyun gawked at Chanyeol as they were both currently laying on a mattress at the top of the staircase that was inclined at a dangerous angle.

 

With a hmph, Baekhyun lunged forward and smiled as he felt the adrenaline rush through his body. Beside him, Chanyeol was screaming his lungs out.

 

Halfway through, Chanyeol felt his hand slip from the corner he was holding on. “No no no no!” he pleaded but it worked to no avail. As Baekhyun finally made it to the bottom of the staircase safe, Chanyeol struck his head against the stair rail.

 

Minseok yelped and ran to the unconscious boy. Baekhyun, who finally noticed his friend’s absence, turned. His heart twice in two as he witnessed Minseok calling 911 and a blood of pool around his best friend’s head.

 

Baekhyun swore as he held Chanyeol’s hand in a cold hospital room that never again would he risk his life. He placed light kisses on the back of Chanyeol’s hand.

 

“I will protect you. You will survive...my giant.”

 

 




 

“Yah, are you really going out with Yoona?” Baekhyun frowned as his best friend currently stood in front of the mirror and combed his hair. It was their freshman year and Baekhyun couldn’t help but notice what puberty did to Chanyeol.

 

His baby fat was gone, he grew a gazillion feet taller, his voice was deep as hell, and his eyes were as big as Baekhyun remembered them. In short words, Chanyeol was hot.

 

Baekhyun pouted as he thought about his own changes: three inches taller. He mentally cursed the unfairness of puberty.

 

“No, she’s not my type.”

 

Baekhyun felt happier as he heard Chanyeol. “R-really? Then who do you like?”

 

Chanyeol chuckled and placed his comb in the dresser. He walked over and sat beside Baekhyun. “Let’s just say... I go for the other team.”

 

Baekhyun’s eyes grew as he understood the meaning behind his words. Chanyeol awkwardly coughed and stared at Baekhyun with his puppy eyes.

 

“You’re okay with that... right?”

 

“Of course!” Baekhyun beamed. For some odd reason, he felt lighter than usual. “Of course, I have to accept my giant!”

 

Chanyeol grinned. “Your giant.”

 

 

 

 


 

“Minseok, I think I like Chanyeol...”

 

“Master! It’s about time! This is amazing!”

 

“No! It’s not!” Baekhyun exclaimed as he pulled his hair. He saw Minseok’s confused face and explained. “He’s the only friend I have. I don’t want to ruin that.”

 

“Plus, he asked Kyungsoo out to prom...” he added.

 

Minseok frowned at Baekhyun’s lack of confidence. Usually, the boy was snarky and didn’t hesitate to say how he felt. Now, he was a puddle of goo over Chanyeol. Were 18 year olds like that?

 

“Then make him jealous!” Minseok stated confidently. In all honesty, Minseok had never dated a soul in his life but he had read manga.

 

With a new found confidence, Baekhyun took out his phone. He abruptly stopped typing and suddenly stared at Minseok. “I wasn’t lying when I said Chanyeol is my only friend.”

 

Minseok advised him to make friends. Baekhyun followed.

 

In less than two weeks, Baekhyun had secured a prom date with Kim Jongin.

 

Once Baekhyun returned home, he was surprised to see a furious Chanyeol. He was currently pacing the living room’s floor as he cursed silently. The moment he noticed Baekhyun, he began shouting.

 

“You ruined the plan!”

 

Baekhyun’s face fell. “W-what are you talking about?”

 

“Kyungsoo was going to ask out Jongin to prom!”

 

Baekhyun frowned as he began to feel anger boil within in. “Well sorry for asking a rather handsome guy out to prom!”

 

Chanyeol looked away and bit his lip. “There’s more than one guy...”

 

 

Baekhyun didn’t notice the hurt in Chanyeol’s voice and kept on going. “Plus, Kyungsoo and you are going to prom together!”

 

Chanyeol shut his eyes and shook his head. “It was a set up to get Jongin jealous and fess up!”

 

Baekhyun rolled his eyes. “Well did it work?”

 

Finally, Chanyeol was left speechless. He pointed his finger at Baekhyun then quickly placed it down.

 

“I was going to ask you.”

 

And just like that, Baekhyun’s anger hit a new extreme. “Then ask me!!!”

 

“Do you want to go to prom with me?” Chanyeol asked with tired eyes and a small smile.

 

Baekhyun felt his heart skip a beat once again. Only Chanyeol did that to him. “Wh-why do you want to go with me?”

 

Chanyeol chuckled, as if the answer was obvious. “You saved my life, Baekhyun. I would have died on those streets if it were not for you. I owe you my life.”

 

Baekhyun sighed. “That’s all!?”

 

“You don’t get me?!” Chanyeol exclaimed as he looked at Baekhyun with questioning eyes.

 

Baekhyun shook his head and frowned. “No.”

 

“I’m trying to say I love you! I can’t picture my life if you are not there, Baekhyun. I want to kiss you, hug you, make love to you-gah! I know you don’t feel the same-”

 

“Shut up.”

 

 

Chanyeol could already feel the burn of rejection. Now, Baekhyun was going to kick him out and-

 

“Stop thinking those thoughts. You are going to still live here...”

 

Chanyeol sighed. At least they could remain friends.

 

Baekhyun smiled internally when he noticed Chanyeol’s worried face gone. He continued, “You are going to still live here but with me, in my bedroom. You will call me beautiful and wake me up with a kiss every morning. I expect breakfast on weekends. You can never leave my side ever again. And I expect you to be dressed in a tux on May 8 with a rose at the bottom of those stairs.”

 

Chanyeol gaped as he processed Baekhyun’s words. Baekhyun smiled shyly as he saw Chanyeol blush.

 

“Oh, I can do that,” Chanyeol smirked. In less than two seconds, Baekhyun and Chanyeol’s lips came together as a promise of their future to come.

 

 

 

 


 

“Don’t look!”

 

“Aww, you look beautiful though! I want to see my y little boyfriend,” Chanyeol cooed as he tried to peek at Baekhyun who was hiding behind the bathroom’s door.

 

Of course, Chanyeol eventually opened the door completely and almost fainted on the spot right then and there. Baekhyun blushed as he covered his tail.

 

“H-happy 20th birthday, Giant!” he managed to exclaim.

 

Chanyeol’s eyes darkened as he eyed Baekhyun. He growled lowly before dragging Baekhyun to the bed.

 

“Best birthday present ever.”

 

 

 

 



 

“Your eyes has been twitching a lot lately.”

 

Baekhyun groaned as he noticed Chanyeol zone out once again. “Did you say something?”

 

“You are too clumsy!” Baekhyun stated slowly. Chanyeol chuckled and wrapped his tiny boyfriend with his arms.

 

“I’m just getting old.”

 

Baekhyun rolled his eyes. He was older--by a few months but he was still older and he wasn’t developing these issues.

 

“Maybe you have something wrong with your foot,” Baekhyun said after thinking about it for a while. Chanyeol nodded. “I’ll visit Dr. Choi tomorrow, okay?”

 

Baekhyun gleamed and placed a chaste kiss on Chanyeol’s lips.

 

“Good. While you are it, get a MRI. I’m still worried about the time I made you hit yourself... What if the crack opened?”

 

Chanyeol noticed the sadness in Baekhyun’s voice and snuggled even closer to him.

 

“Okay, but I’m perfectly healthy. Don’t worry, my head is too hard to break. Just wait and see!”

 

Baekhyun nodded and hugged his giant. “I believe you...”


 

 

 


 

Baekhyun hummed as he flipped the latest newspaper. He frowned as he saw the decreasing stock prices. Luckily for him, his family’s business dated back to colonial times. Even if the company were to collapse, the amount that was saved in the family bank would suffice for over fifty generations to live in luxury.

 

Plus, the Byun name itself was worth millions.

 

So Baekhyun simply hired professionals to run the company, despite Minseok’s strong advice.

 

“It’s a family business, master!”

 

“I’m not interested.”

 

“Master!”

 

 

“Chanyeol seems interested in taking it over though. He was always better at business anyway.”

 

“Do you know what those words mean, master?”

 

“Of course. I plan on proposing to Chanyeol this weekend.”

 

Minseok broke out into screams of happiness. He noticed Baekhyun’s smile and chuckled.

 

“Well he should be home any minute now...” Baekhyun mumbled as he glanced at his phone. He chuckled as he pictured Chanyeol coming home with a pout and a cast around his ankles.

 

“He probably sprained his ankle. I told him not to try that position,” he smiled. Minseo coughed and excused himself. He did not need to know about his master’s life. Hearing it is enough. Baekhyun kept at looking at his phone with a small grin on his face as he waited for his giant to return.

 

Chanyeol didn’t return home that night.