TWO: PERFECT STRANGERS

Renewing Vows
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“The reason it hurts so much to separate is because our souls are connected. Maybe they always have been and will be. Maybe we've lived a thousand lives before this one and in each of them we've found each other. And maybe each time, we've been forced apart for the same reasons. That means that this goodbye is both a goodbye for the past ten thousand years and a prelude to what will come.”

― Nicholas Sparks, The Notebook

 

 

1 year later…

 

Beaufort, North Carolina

 

 

“Hey, Hoon! Can you get that for me? My hands are full..as you can see.”

 

He gritted his teeth in annoyance as he slid out from under a car he was working on to go towards the front desk. This is why he dislikes having the same work shift with Brandon. That guy does nothing but bring in booze and women during working hours. Mr. Carter should stop being so lenient towards irresponsible employees.

 

He kept muttering his complaints and frustrations using his native tongue. He didn’t even bother toning down his voice because he thought that the customer wouldn’t understand him anyway.

 

HIS POV:

 

“Good afternoon. Carter Mechanics and Automobile Shop, this is Hoon at your service. How may I help you?” I recited the standard greeting as I was nearing my way towards the counter. I was prepared and equipped to flash the most convincing and “happy” smile, but I nearly lost my balance as soon as I saw the person standing on the opposite end.

 

My jaw immediately dropped to the ground and I was frozen in spot. It’s that pretty florist from across the street. What do I do? What do I say? My mind has kicked its gear into full-on panic mode.

 

“Hi.” She greeted me shyly.

 

Even the sound of her voice is too much for me to take. Why does she have this kind of effect on me? I tried to say so many things at the same time and I knew I wasn’t making any sense as I could see confusion and bewilderment etched all over her beautiful face.

 

I kept shuffling my foot here and there until I tripped on a wiring, and all those spare tires and other car accessories on display fell on me.

 

“Omo. Gwenchanayo? Can I help you?”

 

“NO!” I shouted and I knew she was taken aback by my response. This was the first time we’re having a conversation that did not merely comprised of hi and hellos. If she has this unfathomable effect on me just within a 5 feet distance, what more if she closes that in? I’m afraid I might lose my sanity.

 

“I..uh..I mean..I’m fine. I’m..adajdslkdjskld” I wasn’t able to finish my explanation as I slipped on the rug and landed on the ground in a very embarrassing position. Aish. The last thing I want is for her to think that I’m such a clumsy man.

 

As soon as I regained my balance, I stood up straight and stretched out my hand. I don’t even know why I did that. Why the hell am I offering her a handshake out of the blue?! She must’ve acted upon instinct as she took my hand in hers. I forgot that I still had grease in my hands, and now, I just soiled hers.

 

I wanted to get some tissue and alcohol/sanitizer but the minute our fingers touched, I swear, there was something....it’s not just a something. It’s everything. What?! What is happening to me? I knew I wasn’t the only one who felt it as we immediately withdrew from that simple physical contact and tried to even out our breaths.

 

There was a flashback. Of a girl and a boy smiling, holding hands, and so much more. It happened way too fast and the pictures were still obscure. I was beginning to feel the onslaught of a throbbing headache. Before it took over, I tried to shake it off and concentrate. Focus, Hoon. Focus. Stop fidgeting. You’re a man. What was the thing that Brandon kept saying? Act cool. Yes. That’s it. Act cool. I cleared my throat and began the customary “How may I help you/what can I do for you” speech:

 

“Uh…” Dammit. Why can’t I say something comprehensible?!

 

“Uhm….” Looks like I’m not the only one tongue tied.

 

“How..” just say the damn opening speech you pabo!

 

“I..?” She’s so pretty even when she’s shy…

 

“May.?” Stop looking at me with those eyes. It makes me forget what I’m about to say.

 

“Yes? No? Uh..” Aish! Why is she so cute?! I feel like a prepubescent teenage boy whose crush noticed him for the longest time. I couldn’t stand the awkward atmosphere any longer so I tried once more to say something but instead, I managed to let out an unmanly and high-pitched scream:

 

“HOW MAY I HELP YOU!!!!”

 

She was completely puzzled and shocked over such a violent response from me. Why did I have to do that? Why did I shout?! What happened to the “timid, shy, and soft-spoken young man” the elderly would usually refer to? What is this happening whenever she’s with me?

 

“I..uh…I’m just..I’m here to pick up Mrs. Anderson’s orders? She said she called over an hour ago..I..uh..uhm..”

 

Great. Now the last thing I need is to scare her and make her want to leave as soon as possible. A part of me is afraid that she’d just say some random excuse and walk out the door, and perhaps, avoid me for the rest of our lives, but a part of me is in awe of the beauty that’s standing right in front of me.

 

How can this woman have such a perfect balance of every contradiction? Beautiful, sweet, innocent as well as y, seductive, and witty. I just stood there and admired her. There’s something about her that’s so different and familiar at the same time. I was too engrossed in the moment and my wishful thoughts until she waved her hand in front of my face to bring me back down to reality.

 

“Yes yes, I’ll, uh, I’ll just go get it.” I hurriedly ran off to the storage room where I placed the neat package I prepared (which was supposed to be Brandon’s task!! Aish!!) an hour ago. I washed my hands thoroughly and did a quick inspection on the mirror just to see if I looked presentable enough.

 

I handed over some clean cloth and a sanitizer to her so she could wipe off the grease in her hands before I gave her the package.

 

“Thank you.”

 

How can two words have such an impact on me? She’s doing it again. There are these flashbacks once more. Before I could digest the random glimpses of my past, a new picture played in my mind, and then another. It’s like a race and I’m the last one to reach the finish line.

 

I blinked my eyes several times, and tried to take a few deep breaths. No. Not now. I can’t handle this headache or panic attack. I can’t afford to let her see me this way. I’m a mess.

 

“Hey yo! What’s taking you so long, man?!” this was the first time I felt grateful for Brandon’s distraction.

 

“Oh…hey..hi, Honey. How’s it going?” his tone immediately shifted to that of a flirtatious and disgusting one – the kind he uses to hit on women. I felt my blood starting to reach its boiling point. He was making his way towards her but I immediately blocked his path and gave him such a murderous glare. I regret that part about being grateful for his distraction. I spoke too soon.

 

“Her name is Yeon Hee, not Honey. But if that’s too hard for you to pronounce, you can call her Yonnie as everyone else does.” I snapped at him.

 

Brandon raised his hands as if there’s an act of surrender while he chuckled and gave off a teasing smirk.

 

“Whoa, whoa! Chill man. I wasn’t hitting on her or something, geez. Can you lay low on trying to stake your claim? I get your message loud and clear: YONNIE IS OFF-LIMITS or YONNIE IS STRICTLY RESERVED FOR HOONIE. HAHAHA!”

 

“YAH!!!!”

 

“Ya? Aren’t you supposed to say ‘YEAH?!”

 

I pulled my hair out of frustration as Brandon continued to be oblivious and went on with his teasing remarks.

 

“Stop it. You’re making her feel uncomfortable.” I managed to say out loud despite the million other curses running in my head.

 

“Ohhhhh. Alright, if that’s what you say…” he turned around to leave and I was about to feel relaxed, but then he just had to run back to the counter just to add up to my embarrassment:

 

“You know, you two should just get it over and done with. You’re clearly attracted to each other. I swear I could sense your libido a mile from here! The both of you! The F**** man. You’re both adults. Just go ahead and shag each other to get it out of your system. It’s painfully frustrating to watch you two struggle with all the ual chemistry..”

 

“BRANDON!!!! GET OUT AND GO BACK TO YOUR WORK!!!!”

 

“See! That’s what I’m talking about. Tsk3. You really need to get laid, dude!. What’s stopping the both of you anyway? You’re Korean, she’s Korean. You’re single, and so is she. You like her, she likes you. You’ve known each other for what? Six months? Seven?You’ve got the basic formula done. It’s the 21st century, yo! This is America! Be young and wild and free! Woohooo!”

 

“GET OUT!”

 

Even if Brandon was twice my size, I still tried my best to push him back to the garage or anywhere as long as he isn’t near us. Before I successfully shut the door, he was able to yell.

 

“YONNIE!!! JUST GO OUT WITH OUR HOONIE!! He’s madly in love with you it’s so sickeningly disgusting! Try and think about my suggestion, ok?! Annyeong!”

 

I walked back to the counter and I could see how her face still has a faint tint of a blush. Cute.

 

“Uh..I’m sorry about Brandon. You know how he is. I apologize for his rude behavior. Don’t mind him. He’s not really serious. Just ignore everything he said.” I said as quickly as I could.

 

“Everything?”

 

“Yeah…or no..uh..i mean, the thing about aksdjkaualfrustationorchemistryjdasjdaljkld..but not the part about me liking you and you liking me or vice versa. What am I saying? Uh, what I meant is. He’s just..he doesn’t know what he’s saying. I just..I..”

 

I kept sputtering nonsense and she cut me off midway with a question as simple and complex such as:

 

“Do you like me?”

 

“YES!” she looked surprised. I couldn’t read her expression and I don’t want her to start distancing herself from me so I tried to retract my word and said, “NO!” is that disappointment I see? What do I do?!

 

“I mean yes! No! Yes! YES! Yes. I definitely like you and I think you like me too, so would you want to go grab some coffee with me sometime?”

 

I said that in one breath and I braced myself for a slap and a rejection. I once swore that I’ll never use those tactics or “tips” that Brandon would lecture me about but I ended up eating my own words. I like you and you like me so let’s go grab some coffee?! What the?! What are you saying, SHIN JONGHOON?!! YOU PABO!

 

“Yes.”

 

“I mean you’re not really obligated to and if you’re not comfortable, it’s ok. I’d understand…”

 

“Yes.”

 

“It’s not like we’re really friends. Yeah we live in the same town, came from the same ethnical background, see each other often..work across the street…”

 

“Yes.”

 

“But we never really knew each other aside from our mutual acquaintances and..”

 

“Yes.”

 

“So, I just I don’t want to burden you or anything..it’s ok and I’d understand if you say no.”

 

“Yes.”

 

“I think and I would be fine even if..”

 

“YES! I already said yes, oppa! What are you blabbering about?”

 

Oppa? Did she just call me oppa?

 

“Oppa?” I sound like some love sick teenage boy! Sh*t. She’s going to be turned off and take that yes back….

 

“I..how old are you? I just assumed you were probably a few years older than me..i can call you, oppa, right? But if it makes you feel uncomfortable and if I happen to be the older one then I..”

 

“It’s ok. Oppa sounds great.” I reassured her and she blushed again. There goes my heart. Save me.

 

“How old are you?” she asked me curiously. The age thing must be a really big deal to her.

 

“25?” It sounded more like a question than an answer.

 

“You don’t know how old you are?” there wasn’t a hint of doubt or accusation in her voice. Just pure, undiluted concern (?) and curiosity.

 

I shrugged my shoulder and just revealed a scar at the back of my head. I think she got the message and she asked no more. She took a pen and wrote down something on a paper and handed it over to me before running back across the street to her workplace.

 

I read the thing that she wrote and a smile made it onto my lips. She wrote down her address and contact number. I silently pumped my fists in the air. She agreed to go out on a date with me!

 

“Somebody’s gonna get laid! Hahahaha! I told you man, my suggestion is such a genius. Now, go get it!”

 

Brandon. This punk has to ruin my joy with such erse remarks. Aish. Never mind. What matters now is I finally have the chance of a lifetime to possibly be with her…

 

 

HER POV:

 

“But Mrs. Anderson, please…can Nicole be the one to pick up those orders? I can stay and help with the flower arrangements..” I begged.

 

“These arrangements are almost done and you have nothing to do. What are you so afraid of Yonnie? It’s just across the street. If anything happens, which I’m sure nothing will, then just run back here.”

 

“She’s just chickening out because she’s too shy to talk with Hoon. Grandma, how can you still not notice that this girl over here is so crazy about that guy? I swear the only reason she volunteers to water the flowers or put up those displays or pretend to do an inventory check with the suppliers is because she wants to make a good impression on him. She’s been obsessed with that guy since the first time she laid eyes on him. Hahaha!”

 

“NICOLE!!!!” this girl would be the death of me! If she wasn’t my best friend, I would’ve strangled her this instant.

 

Mrs. Anderson laughed heartily and joined her granddaughter with this teasing scheme. The situation isn’t turning into my favor as my blushing face and brainless excuses are just dead giveaways. Am I really that obvious? And here I thought I was doing good at concealing my emotions for the past five-six months. Right now would be a confirmation that I’ve got no talent for acting and neither am I good at lying.

 

I didn’t have any excuse left so I decided to just go ahead and get this over with. I rang the customer bell and waited. Please don’t let it be him…please…I can handle Brandon (no matter how much of a flirt he is). Hoon is a different story. There’s a reason I never really tried to talk to him, and that reason is none other than the fear that I might embarrass myself as well as experiencing those flashbacks again.

 

“Good afternoon. Carter Mechanics and Automobile Shop, this is Hoon at your service. How may I help you?”

 

The second I heard him say Good afternoon, I was on the verge of a panic attack. It’s Hoon. Oh no! How do I look?! What do I say?! Help meee!

 

“Hi.” I greeted him shyly. He looked extremely shocked and I don’t know what to make of his expression.

 

It didn’t help that he started to trip, fall, and experience minor accidents (the tires and other display falling on him). I tried to offer my assistance but I was shocked that he refused me vehemently. Does he not like me? Why do I feel sad?

 

As soon as he regained his balance, he stood up straight and stretched out his hand. Upon instinct, I took his hand in mine to shake it. It’s ok for me to get my hands dirty or soiled, but grease is a completely different story. I wanted to reprimand him but the minute our fingers touched, there’s a sudden pull that’s difficult to explain. I could feel the deadly headaches threatening to take complete control of my sanity. Oh no. Not now. Please.

 

There was a flashback. Of a girl and a boy smiling, holding hands, and so much more. It happened way too fast and the pictures were still obscure. I knew I wasn’t the only one who felt that strange phenomena because I could see that he too, was trying to recover from the impact. He excused himself as he went to take the package. I never felt so relieved.

 

I felt so touched when he handed me over a cloth and a sanitizer to clean my hands. I knew it. Chivalry isn’t dead. Stop doing this to me, Hoon. I don’t think I’m prepared for this. I’m just one step close to falling and frankly enough, I really don’t think this would end nicely. I thanked him and was expecting him to say goodbye and this awkwardness would end.

 

However, he just stood there and looked at me. This isn’t the first time I’ve been stared at, but this one’s totally different. There’s just something with the look in his eyes..something that I can’t explain. A feeling of pain, sadness, and longing struck me all at once. Why?

 

I could feel tears forming in my eyes and it frustrates me how I can’t come up with a logical and valid explanation to everything that I feel whenever I’m with him. For the first time, I felt grateful that Brandon chose this moment to interrupt.

 

“Oh…hey..hi, Honey. How’s it going?” he’s at it again. I was so tempted to roll my eyes and ward off his advances but before I could do so, Hoon spoke up first.

 

“Her name is Yeon Hee, not Honey. But if that’s too hard for you to pronounce, you can call her Yonnie as everyone else does.”

 

He knows my real name? But..omo..is he…is he jealous? Am I right to assume that he is? Oh whatever. Even if I’m wrong, I’d still believe this assumption of mine!

 

 “Whoa, whoa! Chill man. I wasn’t hitting on her or something, geez. Can you lay low on trying to stake your claim? I get your message loud and clear: YONNIE IS OFF-LIMITS or YONNIE IS STRICTLY RESERVED FOR HOONIE. HAHAHA!”

 

“YAH!!!!”

 

Did he just…blush? Why is he so defensive and all that? Could it be..? No. Get a hold of yourself, Jin Yeon Hee. Stop assuming things! Brandon went on with those embarrassing “suggestions” and I could feel my face is on fire. I silently and mentally cursed Nicole for sending me out here.

 

“Uh..I’m sorry about Brandon. You know how he is. I apologize for his rude behavior. Don’t mind him. He’s not really serious. Just ignore everything he said.” He said quickly.

 

“Everything?” I asked him, my voice full of hope, sadness, and curiosity.

 

“Yeah…or no..uh..i mean, the thing about aksdjkaualfrustationorchemistryjdasjdaljkld..but not the part about me liking you and you liking me or vice versa. What am I saying? Uh, what I meant is. He’s just..he doesn’t know what he’s saying. I just..I..”

 

This is my first time to see the soft-spoken and calm man stutter and lose his cool. He’s just so cute and irresistible when he does that. No. Stop it. Don’t do this, Yeon Hee. Don’t entertain such thoughts about him. You have no right to involve such a good man like him to your already messed up and complicated life. I was about to say goodbye but my subconscious must’ve pushed the other words out of my head as the thing that came out from my mouth was,

 

“Do you like me?”

 

WHAT?! What did I just ask him?!! You shameless pabo, Jin Yeon Hee!!! He’s going to think you’re a crazy, obsessed, foolish and easy girl! Arggghh! I was going to take back what I said but he immediately replied,

 

“YES!” Yes? He likes me?

 

“NO!” my face fell when he uttered that denial.

 

“I mean yes! No! Yes! YES! Yes. I definitely like you and I think you like me too, so would you want to go grab some coffee with me sometime?”

 

I felt like my emotions were having a Yo-yo effect. One second he’d make me happy and pull my hopes back up, only to push it down, and then pull it

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter