SIX: EPILOGUE

Renewing Vows
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person.”

-Mignon McLaughlin

 

 

They finally started to get their life back on track. They began to put the puzzle pieces in its rightful place. She gave birth to a healthy baby boy who they named Jung Jonghoon. Little/Baby Hoonie became everyone’s bundle of joy. When he turned six months, they knew it was time they had to go back home.

 

Their papers were already fixed and there were no more excuses or reasons that held them back. Mr. Carter and Mrs. Anderson declined to go with them (their bodies wouldn’t be able to handle the stress of the travel), so Nicole took it as her responsibility to be the mediator between this long lost couple and their families. They don’t know how she did it, but Nicole managed to assemble all members of his and her families in one place.

 

Their parents nearly got a heart attack upon seeing the two set foot inside the room, a baby in tow. Instead, it was their elder siblings who passed out. The 10 minute silence was excruciatingly awkward. Nicole wanted to laugh but decided against it. Once the thought that this wasn’t a dream finally settled in everyone else’s minds, they rushed to the two and gathered them in a very emotional embrace.

 

The room was filled with laughter, cries, and of course, scolding from each and every one of them. Yunho and In Guk joined in the craze as soon as they regained consciousness. After what seemed like a lifetime of explanation (including the pressure, the problems, even the affairs, up to the accident, life as Hoon and Yonnie, the renewal of vows,  and the birth of Little Hoonie), everyone took turns in hugging them, asking forgiveness, and reassuring them that whatever it is they decide to do, they will back them up 100%.

 

They were reintroduced back to society and the media had a field day upon their return. Everyone wanted to know their story. They granted one interview to share what they’ve been through and how they found their way back to each other and that was that.

 

They stayed in Korea long enough to complete their respective degrees, practice for a few years, before informing everyone close to them their desire to move back to North Carolina as soon as their daughter, Jung Yeon Hee, turned 4 years of age.

 

A lot of people criticized them for “wasting” their potentials by choosing to live in a small town in a foreign country. Some even went as far as calling them traitors. They didn’t pay attention to this. It doesn’t matter what others say because the people who mean the most to them in the world have given their approval and blessing.

 

Besides, what do they know? Nothing. It’s not always about chasing success and making a name for themselves. They’ve been there, done that. It’s about the simple joys in life. It’s about choosing your family over your career, or perhaps, finding a balance for both.

 

They went back to Beaufort, bought a house, and established their own private law and clinic practice. They were content with how things turned out and they couldn’t ask for more than what they already have. Their families and friends would visit them from time to time. In return, they also did the same. They flew back to Seoul to celebrate the Holiday season and for other important events.

 

 

55 years has passed and a lot has happened since then. Mr. Carter and Mrs. Anderson passed away and though their deaths made them sad, they knew that

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter