Chapter 6

Say You'll Mean It

“Hey, Yixing.  What are you going to do this vacation?”  Luhan asks his boyfriend as they walk hand-in-hand to the library.

“Not much, just going to spend it with the family, I guess.”  Yixing replies, smiling at Luhan.  “You?”

“That’s the problem, I still don’t know.  Changmin might throw the usual parties, but aside from that, I have no idea.”  Luhan replies, thinking of the big difference between last year’s party and this year’s.  Minseok won’t be there anymore, so will Chanyeol and Sehun, and Luhan thinks that it might just be the most boring party he’ll ever be to.

“I’m really sorry, I really want to spend it with you but my family really wants to see me.”  Yixing replies while checking his phone, and Luhan notices something different.  It seems like it doesn’t really affect him that much, did I do something wrong?

“Nah, it’s okay.  You need to spend time with your family too.”  Luhan replies, before they spot Kim Kibum, a senior film student, walking towards the opposite direction.  Kibum greets them, and they both greet back.

“Wow, that’s new.  He never really talked to us before.”  Luhan muses, watching Kibum as the film student walks away from them.

“Maybe he knows us from a mutual friend.”  Yixing replies, looking at the bulletin board on the wall.

“Yeah, maybe.”  Luhan replies, wondering what he did wrong.

~O~

“Hey, Yeol!  What can I do for you today?”  Yifan greets as Chanyeol enters Starbucks to buy coffee for his co-workers who are still in the music store.

“Uhm… just the usual.”  Chanyeol replies, looking around the place.  Something’s amiss, he thinks as Yifan works on his order.  He continues to look around until he realizes what—or who—is missing: Jongdae.  “Hey, Yifan, where’s Jongdae?”

“I dunno.  He received a phone call a while ago and then he said that he has some important matters to attend to.”  Yifan replies, and then Byun Baekhyun appears from the back, stopping ever so slightly once he sees Chanyeol.

“Hey, Park.  Being a caffeine addict today?”  Baekhyun asks, leaning against the counter, eyes widening at the amount of coffee Yifan is preparing.

“It’s not just for me, but for everyone in Cassiopeia as well.”  Chanyeol replies, counting his money to make sure that he still has enough.  “I wonder where Jongdae went to.  He didn’t join us for lunch today, too.”

“Really?  Well, that’s weird.  Joonmyeon didn’t join us for lunch too.  Do you think someone’s stealing our friends from us during lunch, Park?”  Baekhyun asks.

“Really?  Joonmyeon too?  Well that is weird.  Did you hear anything from the phone call, Yifan?”  Chanyeol asks Yifan, and sees a bouquet of red and yellow tulips somewhere in the counter.  Huh?  Someone’s sending Yifan flowers, too?

“Nothing much.  I did hear Jongdae ask the person where he is, though.”  Yifan replies, putting the last of the order on the counter and calculating the price.

“And…?”  Baekhyun and Chanyeol both ask, anticipation in their voices.

“All I heard was the word ‘XOXO’.  Does that ring a bell to any of you?”  Yifan asks, feigning innocence.  When he heard the word a while ago, he just thought that it had something to do with his flowers.  But the tulips arrived some time later when Jongdae was already gone, and with the new information regarding Joonmyeon’s whereabouts, Yifan is beginning to doubt his own theories.

“What?  Are they…?”  Baekhyun asks then turns to Chanyeol, before gesturing for the other to follow him.  Chanyeol grabs the coffee and follows Baekhyun out into his car in the parking lot, and they drive off to the said flower shop.

“What the hell is happening?”  Yifan asks no one in particular, willing for an answer, but still getting none.

~O~

“Jongdae.”

“Joonmyeon.  What can I do for you today?”

“We need to talk.”  Joonmyeon replies as he opens to door to XOXO’s office, gesturing for Jongdae to enter.  Jongdae takes up the offer and enters, looking back a little just to make sure that the coast is clear.

“So, what do we need to talk about?”  Jongdae asks once Joonmyeon’s comfortably settled on his chair.

“Luhan and Minseok.  Something’s off; I hope you’ve noticed that already.”  Joonmyeon replies, eyeing him cautiously.

“Yeah.  More like, something’s off with Luhan’s brain.  I think it’s pretty much common knowledge in our group that Minseok likes Luhan so Luhan’s probably the one with the problem.”

“Okay, so it’s Luhan.  What else aside from that?”

“Uhm… the fact that Minseok’s not with Luhan right now, and well, just about everything else that has something to do with their relationship.”  Jongdae replies, shrugging.  A couple of moments of silence pass, and Jongdae notices Joonmyeon’s reaction shifting from cautious to trusting.

“I trust you, Kim Jongdae, because I think you’re the sanest guy in the group.  I think you’re the one that can help me fix this; I mean, I’m used to Minseok fixing things for Luhan but this time, Minseok’s also a part of the problem.  It’s up to us to find a solution for this before things go way out of control.”  Joonmyeon replies, looking at his surroundings. 

“There’s something you’re not telling me, Joonmyeon.”  Jongdae replies, staring at the other’s eyes.

“All in good time, I just think mentioning it is not important right now.”  Joonmyeon replies before he takes a flower from his table and hands it to Jongdae.  “In the mean time, this is for you.”

It was a thorn less rose, and Jongdae does not get it.  At all.

“Uhm… thanks, I guess?  What does this mean, anyway?”  Jongdae replies, twirling the rose with his fingers.

“Go ask Minseok or Chanyeol, they probably know.”  Joonmyeon replies while smiling at him with that million-dollar smile.  “In the meantime, I recommend that you sit down, or do you have to go back to work?”

“Yeah, actually I have to go back to work… but…” Jongdae replies, weighing his options.  He could either be a good barista or try to find out the things that this Mr. Kim knows about Luhan and Minseok.

“There’s a but?”  Joonmyeon replies, smirking now.

“Yeah.  I just dunno if I should go with the but.”  Jongdae replies.  “But I guess curiosity kills the cat after all.”

“Well, I don’t really know if that’s a good idea or what, but I appreciate the company.  Managing a flower shop with two older men who act like ten year-olds isn’t really that exciting, after all. ”  Joonmyeon replies, relaxing onto the chair.  “So, what convinced you to go with the but?”

“Luhan and Minseok.  What do you know about them?  I mean, about their relationship, because I honestly can’t understand it at all.”  Jongdae confesses.  He’s coming clean now because he has to do this to help Minseok.  He’s seen just how much Minseok sacrificed so that Luhan would be happy, and he knows that Minseok really loves the guy.  It just makes Jongdae want to help him until he’s back on his own two feet, not having to work after hours anymore.

“It all started when Changmin found Minseok on the streets years back.  He was kicked out of his home for some reason and ended up homeless.  I dunno what made Changmin do it, but he just asked Minseok if he wanted to work for him once he saw him.  Minseok, needing a job desperately, agreed almost immediately.  That’s when he was given to the Lu family to be Luhan’s servant.  The first few weeks were hard, according to Minseok, because Luhan wouldn’t let him in.  But I guess Luhan warmed up to him after that, and they eventually became best friends.”  Joonmyeon replies.

“Just that?  What led you to believe that Luhan has feelings for Minseok then?” 

“It happened sometime after Luhan’s parents died.  It was a month after the funeral, and they were going to visit his grandparents in China when Min was rushed to the hospital because he collapsed.  I remember receiving the call from Luhan, and rushing to the hospital.  I remember entering Minseok’s room and seeing Luhan asleep, his head on Minseok’s chest.”

~O~

“Han. Luhan, wake up.”  Joonmyeon says as he tries to nudge Luhan awake.

“Wha—oh, Joonmyeon!”  Luhan replies, shushing his voice so as to not wake the sleeping Minseok.

“How is he?”  Joonmyeon asks, taking in Minseok’s sleeping form.  The other boy was very pale and thin, but there was a hint of pink tainting his cheeks. His breathing is labored, and it just pains Joonmyeon to see him like that.  His forehead is glistening with sweat, and his damp hair is clinging to it, making him look like he just had a shower.

“He’s really bad, Suho.  The doctors said that his fever is really high, and must’ve been going on for a couple of days now, if you consider its severity.  I didn’t even notice it, Suho.  I was so busy trying to manage myself after everything that’s happened that I didn’t even notice that I’m driving him sick.  This is my entire fault, god, if something bad happens…”

“Luhan, nothing bad is going to happen.  He’ll be okay, don’t worry.”  Joonmyeon replies, trying his best to comfort his childhood friend.

“But what am I supposed to do?  I can’t help him at all.”  Luhan says, as he brushes back some hair from Minseok’s forehead.  His fingers graze the other’s forehead slightly, and Minseok shivers from the touch.  The action makes Joonmyeon realize how bad the fever really is, and makes Luhan want to cry all over again.

“I can’t lose him, Suho.  It’s just weird sometimes, I can’t explain it.”  Luhan says, softly cupping Minseok’s cheek and placing his head near the other boy’s.  Minseok sighs and leans in to the touch, moving his head ever so slightly so that he and Luhan are nearly facing each other.  Even in sleep, Joonmyeon realizes, Minseok is still able to find Luhan.  He really loves the boy and it kills Joonmyeon to see him like this.  “Sometimes, I just want to hold him and keep him close like this; sometimes, I want to push him away.   I’m scared that I might hurt him someday, and I don’t want to do that.”  Luhan says, now gently Minseok’s cheek.

Wait, did Luhan just admit that he has feelings for Minseok?  Or… does Luhan even know that he has feelings for Minseok?  Joonmyeon thinks, and tries to get more out of Luhan.

“I’m pretty sure you won’t, you care too much about him.”  Joonmyeon replies.

 “But I always screw up, Suho.  I mean, look at him!  If only I’d noticed… I can’t lose him, I just can’t.  He’s the only person that I know would be there for me no matter what, and I don’t want to drive him away.”  Minseok whimpers in his sleep, and Luhan tries his best to hush him.  “Sssh, I’m here, Min.  Don’t worry, it’s okay; you’ll be okay.”  Luhan tells Minseok softly and, Minseok just whimpers again in reply, causing Luhan to try and calm him down some more.  “I just want him to wake up and get better; I can’t stand watching him like this.”  Luhan finally says as Minseok settles back to sleep.

Joonmyeon decides he’s gotten enough evidence and decides to leave the two alone, feeling like he’s destroying such an intimate moment.  Joonmyeon takes Minseok’s other hand in his, taking in how hot it is, and leans in to plant a kiss on the sleeping boy’s forehead.  Joonmyeon chances to take a look at Luhan’s reaction and sees the confirmation of his theory.  Luhan’s eyebrows are knitted together; not in confusion but in a killer glare, and Joonmyeon also notices that Luhan’s hand which is resting on Minseok’s hip (it somehow managed to find its way there without Joonmyeon noticing) unconsciously tightens its hold on Minseok.  Luhan, to Joonmyeon, looked like an over-protective lion to its cub and, it just makes Joonmyeon smile softly.

“Joonmyeon—“ Luhan begins but is cut by Joonmyeon ruffling his hair.

“Don’t worry, Han.  No one’s going to take him away from you.”  Joonmyeon says, and he sees Luhan’s face relax and, takes it as his cue to leave the room.

~O~

“Wow… no one ever told me about that.”  Jongdae says after Joonmyeon has finished his story.

“Minseok can get pretty reckless sometimes.  He just doesn’t care that much about his own wellbeing so it scares me that he’s living all alone.  No one knows if he’s really doing well or if it’s just a lie that he says so that we won’t worry.  Hell, even Luhan is worried!  But I honestly can’t blame him.”  Joonmyeon replies, running a hand through his hair.

“If Luhan really has feelings for Min, then why is he together with Yixing?”  Jongdae asks.

“Luhan tends to get weird sometimes.  Honestly, I also don’t know.  Maybe he doesn’t really realize that he loves Minseok, maybe he thinks that it’s just need.  He did say that he’s afraid to hurt him, you know.”

“But he’s being with Yixing hurts Minseok.  Doesn’t he realize that?”

Before Joonmyeon can reply, they hear footsteps coming in and, a couple of seconds after; the door opens, revealing Baekhyun and Chanyeol.

“Hey, Baekhyun.”  Joonmyeon greets.

“Hey, Yeol.”  Jongdae greets, twirling the rose with his fingers once again.

“What the hell is happening here?”  Baekhyun and Chanyeol exclaim.

“Uhm… we were just talking.”  Joonmyeon replies, eyeing the two fearfully.  Joonmyeon knows better than to get Baekhyun angry, based on past experiences with the other’s temper.

“Riiiiight.”  Chanyeol replies, making sure to drag the ‘I’ while staring at the flower in Jongdae’s hand.  “And I suppose Jongdae just thought that a thorn less rose is very beautiful and decided to pick one out and you just let him?”

“Well, it is beautiful.”  Jongdae protests and Chanyeol eyes him, eyebrows raised.

“Right, Chen, right.  Wait ‘til Minseok hears about this.”  Chanyeol replies with a smirk.

“Just what the hell does a thorn less rose mean anyway?!”  Jongdae exclaims, now completely frustrated.

“Dude.  It means ‘love at first sight’.”  Chanyeol replies, eyeing Joonmyeon curiously.

~O~

“How the hell was I supposed to know, okay?!  It’s not like I’m a flower expert like the two of you!”  Jongdae replies, pointing at Minseok and Chanyeol.

Yifan, Jongdae, and, Baekhyun are currently closing Starbucks for the day and Chanyeol, Minseok, and Sehun decided to wait for them.  Minseok and Chanyeol are standing beside each other near the counter, teasing Jongdae as he wipes the blender clean.  Yifan is busting some tables, and Baekhyun and Sehun are working on the day’s finances on one of the clean tables.  Yifan just snorts in reply while wiping down the last table.

“No, seriously, I had no idea!”  Jongdae exclaims, but his face is as red as a tomato.

“Aww… that’s cute.  Our little Chen Chen’s in love!”  Baekhyun says in a singsong voice.

“Well, that’s great!  Sehun and Zitao are dating, Chanyeol’s got a creepy flower stalker, and Jongdae is being given flowers by Joonmyeon!  Looks like everyone’s got somebody to love this Christmas aside from me.”  Minseok says, looking at Jongdae and sticking his tongue out.

“And me.”  Baekhyun replies.  “Wait, Sehun, those papers go in here…” He says as he tells Sehun what to do next.

“And me.”  Yifan replies with a sigh. 

“Huh?  I thought you have a creepy flower stalker too.”  Chanyeol suddenly says and Jongdae, Sehun, and, Minseok stop what they’re doing a little to look at Yifan.

“Huh?”  Yifan just replies.  What the hell?!  I’m your creepy flower stalker!

“I saw the flowers by the counter a while ago.  Someone’s giving you flowers too?” 

“Uhm… yeah, I guess.  I never really knew who they came from.”  Yifan replies, and Chanyeol feels defeated.  For some reason he hoped that no one was actually giving Yifan flowers, that the tulips that he saw were actually from Joonmyeon for Jongdae.  But apparently, that’s not how life works.

~O~

“Urgh, I !”  Yifan exclaims as he delivers Minseok’s, Jongdae’s, Sehun’s, and Chanyeol’s coffee to their spot in the music room.  Fortunately, Chanyeol’s still in the cafeteria buying his own lunch when Yifan arrived.  It’s the last day of classes before their vacation and it feels really good to have this, a private lunch complete with coffee, to end this year.

“Don’t worry, Fan Fan, it’s not like that diminishes your chances.  It could’ve increased, for all I know.”  Jongdae replies, giving Yifan a knowing smile.

“Do you know something that I don’t, Kim?”  Yifan replies, pointing a finger to Jongdae and eyeing him carefully.  “The Galaxy orders you to tell us what you know.”

“What the ?  What the hell is The Galaxy?”  Minseok asks, looking at Sehun who is also looking at him.

“The Galaxy is the supreme being who knows everything in the ing universe.  Now tell me or The Galaxy’ll get mad.”  Yifan replies, his finger unwavering.

“Well then I guess The Galaxy isn’t so supreme then.  After all, he knows it, I don’t.”  Jongdae replies, pointing to the upright piano behind him.

“She.”  Minseok corrects.  “That’s actually Amanda.”

“What the ?  Do you name your instruments?”  Yifan asks incredulously.

“Yeah, he does.  Each instrument at the shop actually has a name.”  Sehun replies and, Yifan just stares at them, mouth agape.  Chanyeol chooses that moment to appear, causing him to see Yifan with a really weird facial expression.  Yifan tries to do his best to make his face look normal again in horror, but Chanyeol just giggles.  Aww… he’s embarrassed.  He’s just too cute to be legal.

“What’s up?”  Chanyeol asks as he settles his tray down.

“Nothing much, just that the piano knows something we don’t.”  Jongdae replies.

 

 

A/N: Yes, that is a Panic At The Disco reference.  Did anyone notice?? (>‿◠)✌

Also, here have a Minseok.