Chapter 18

Say You'll Mean It

Luhan fixes his hair and looks at the mirror in front of him and sighs.  He can hear the steady beeps of Minseok’s heart monitor in the background, telling him that everything was okay, at the very least.  He steps out of the bathroom and is greeted by the opening of the door as Victoria walks in carrying a blanket and a book.

“Hey, so uhm… Dr. McMahon asked me to do a favor a while ago.  I’m here to watch over Minseok while you’re at the party.”  Victoria says, smiling at Luhan.

“Seriously?  You don’t have anything to do for tonight?  It’s Christmas Eve, isn’t it?”  Luhan asks, stunned.

“Nah, I usually just work during holidays because I can’t go home.  I just use my vacation time when my family and I can actually meet.”  Victoria replies, earning a questioning gaze from Luhan.

“My dad’s a surgeon at Germany and my mom’s a professor at Tokyo U that’s why we rarely see each other in person.  The last time we did was just a few months ago so it’s okay.”  Victoria replies.

“Oh, well, thanks, I guess.  Did Jinki leave already?”  Luhan asks, taking his coat from the chair beside Minseok’s bed.

“He’s downstairs in his office; he’s still finishing some reports for tomorrow so it’s okay if you stay here a little more.”  Victoria replies.

“I’ll do just that.”  Luhan replies, sitting beside Minseok on the bed and playing with the other’s hair.

“You really love him, don’t you?”  Victoria suddenly asks and Luhan looks up at him in surprise.  “!  I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have said that.  I reall have trouble controlling my curiosity sometimes.”

“It’s okay.”  Luhan replies, raising a hand to stop Victoria’s rant.  “And yeah, I really do, even though I was too stupid to see it at first.”

“Hey, everything’s going to be okay, don’t worry.  I know that we always say that to the family of our patients but, this time I have the feeling that everything will really be okay.” Victoria says before flipping open her book.  “For by this light, whereby I see thy beauty.  Thy beauty that doth make me like thee well, thou must be married to no man but me.”

“Was that Shakespeare?”  Luhan replies, looking pointedly at the nurse’s book.

“Taming of the Shrew.”  Victoria replies, raising the hand holding the book and showing Luhan the cover.  Just then, Jinki walks in, carrying his own winter coat and a bag of gifts.

“Oh, hi Santa!”  Luhan greets and Victoria smiles at the doctor.

“Looks like you two are getting along pretty well.”  Jinki replies, stepping in.  “And please don’t tell me you’re reading Shakespeare to my nephew.”

 “I’m leaving Minseok to him so—what’s wrong with Shakespeare?”  Luhan asks his uncle with a raised eyebrow.

“Ha!”  Victoria exclaims, raising a fist.

“You’re destroying Santa’s Christmas Eve.”  Jinki tells the two.  “Minseok, kick Luhan’s when you wake up, would you?”

“I’d prefer that he do other things to my .”  Luhan says and Victoria just laughs harder.

“Goodness.”  Minho says as he enters the room.  “I hope I did not just hear what  thought I heard.”

“Let’s go Luhan, before you turn Minseok’s completely pure mind green.”  Jinki says and Luhan gets off the bed.  Luhan grabs his coat and kisses Minseok on the lips.  He makes his way to the door where Jinki’s waiting.

“Thanks!”  He tells Victoria before he leaves, closing the door behind him.

~O~

To say that the party is a success is an understatement—it’s ing huge success.  The decorations—care of Joonmyeon, Sehun, Chanyeol, Minho, Jongin, and Taemin—are beautiful.  It’s just right, it’s not unnoticeable but it doesn’t overpower the original design of the house too.  The music, courtesy of Yunho, is not too loud but not too soft to be drowned by the visitors’ chatter, either.  The drinks—care of Baekhyun, Jongdae, Yoona, Sooyoung, and Yifan—are awesome, their different blends of coffee that keep the guests warm being the most wanted.  Then, there’s the food—courtesy of Kyungsoo, Changmin, Henry, and Amber—is excellent.  No one can say anything bad about the food, especially the pastries.

Luhan takes two cups of Peppermint Mocha before he leaves the kitchen, handing the other cup to Joonmyeon.  Joonmyeon then hands Luhan a slice of Chocolate Cheesecake before they make their way to where the others are.  They’re all seated in a circle in front of the fireplace, drinks and food in the center so it’s a free for all.

“I suggest spin the bottle.”  Baekhyun says, before downing a bottle of beer.

“No, Baekhyun.  We all know you turn into a caveman when you get drunk.”  Zitao replies, rolling his eyes.  “Hey, could you hand me the Cranberry Bread?”

“Yeah, I don’t want to lose another phone to the pool, Baekhyun.”  Joonmyeon says, handing Zitao the bread before sitting down beside Luhan.  “Where are Changmin and Yunho?”

“Getting laid.”  Jongdae replies and they all look at him.  “Just kidding.”  He says after a few moments of silence and shock.

“I guess I could live with that.”  Luhan says, sipping from his cup.

“You actually agreed to Changmin’s undying love for Yunho?  Wow, Luhan, are you drunk or what?”  Henry replies.

“It’s probably the Christmas spirit in here; I think it’s taken over my body.  Not to mention Jinki just admitted to being Santa Claus a while ago.”  Luhan replies.  “Where are Yifan and Chanyeol, anyway?”

“Definitely getting laid.”  Jongin says and everyone agrees to that.

“Not quite.  Nice try, though.”  Someone says and they realize that it’s Yifan, Chanyeol following closely behind.

“Special delivery from Misters Do Kyungsoo and Kim Ryeowook straight from the kitchen.”  Chanyeol replies, before he lays down a plate of Yule Log.  Yifan follows suit, laying down a plate of Turkey Crepes with Tarragon.

“I don’t really think they have a lot of leftover turkey or chicken in the kitchen.”  Luhan says, surveying the dish.  “It looks tasty, though.”

“It should, Kyungsoo made it after all.”  Baekhyun says and everyone just look at him, causing him to blush.

“Closet lovers?”  Jongdae asks Joonmyeon in a low voice.

“Shut up.”  Joonmyeon replies, sticking a tongue out at Jongdae.  Jongdae does the same and all of a sudden, a bright light catches their attention.

“Perfect shot!”  Yifan says, lowering the DSLR he’s holding.  “Now I just have to get this to Yoona and I’ll get my 50 bucks!”

“Thank you, Yifan.  It’s nice to know that you’re making a lot of money out of the two of us.”  Jongdae replies.

“Don’t blame me, blame Yoona.”  Yifan replies, showing the photo to Luhan who just smiles his little evil smile.  Joonmyeon just gives Luhan the Kim Joonmyeon Puppy Face©.

“Please, that’s not going to work on me.”  Luhan replies, looking smug.

“I hate you.”  Joonmyeon replies, his Puppy Face© now replaced with an annoyed look.

“Merry Christmas.”  Luhan replies, still looking smug.  Joonmyeon stays silent after that, not knowing what to reply.  “Hah, I win.  Now pass me that slice of Tiramisu.”  Luhan says, making grabby hands at the dessert.

Joonmyeon passes Luhan the slice when they hear whistling and cheers coming from near the door.  “Someone probably just arrived and kissed.”  Sehun says, looking at Zitao.  “Your mistletoe idea on the front door is a complete success.”

“What can I say, I’m a genius.”  Zitao replies, smirking.

“That’s just his way of hiding his evil plan to kiss you again, Ohdult.”  Chanyeol says.

“Hah.  Not gonna work.”  Sehun says, pointing a finger at Zitao.

“Why is everyone who’s passing looking at me?”  Luhan asks, noticing that all the people coming back from near the door are stealing glances at him.

“Maybe it’s because of your face.”  Joonmyeon says, shrugging.

“Shut up, my manly charms are handsome.”  Luhan says, punching Joonmyeon lightly on the shoulder.

“Yeah right.”  Baekhyun replies, rolling his eyes.

“Luhan’s actually much more presentable now.  People don’t think you’re with a clown when you go out with him or something.”  Zitao says. 

“Shut up.”  Luhan replies, giving Zitao the Glare©.

“He hasn’t dropped the hats, though.  But it’s okay; at least it’s just hats.”  Joonmyeon replies.

“Okay, now they’re pointing and whispering too.  What’s going on?!”  Luhan asks, noticing his surroundings.

“Well, you’re not wearing a hat…”  Joonmyeon begins.

“… and you’re not drunk so it’s definitely the face.”  Zitao finishes and everyone in the circle laughs.

“That’s just unfair!  How come you don’t make fun of Suho’s shoes?”  Luhan asks Zitao.

“Because they’re actually reasonable shoes.  They don’t look like someone consulted on fashion designers with conflicting fashion styles for today’s outfit.”  Zitao replies, trying his best to keep his face straight.  Everyone else erupts into laughter and after a few seconds, Luhan does too.

“Okay, okay.  I’ll go get some Eggnog.”  Joonmyeon says, excusing himself.

“So Jongdae…”  Yifan begins, looking playfully at Jongdae.

“Shut up.”  Jongdae replies.

“I was about to ask you what you about your cat but okay, I’ll shut up.”  Yifan replies, looking anywhere except Jongdae.

“Hey!  I was just kidding…”  Jongdae begins but Luhan cuts him off.

“Jongdae, you guys have some mulled cider, right?”  Luhan asks, beginning to stand up.

“Yup, it’s in the kitchen.”  Jongdae replies and Luhan thanks him before he leaves for the kitchen.  He makes his past the other visitors, some greeting him so he has to greet back, still thinking of that perfect gift for Minseok.  He enters the kitchen, and the smell of cranberries and turkey greet him.

“Woah, what’s cooking?”  Luhan asks as he spots Kyungsoo by the stove.

“Hey, did you want something?  I’m making Cranberry Stuffed Turkey s.”  Kyungsoo replies.

“I was wondering where the mulled ciders are.”  Luhan replies.

“Oh, it’s in the adjoining kitchen.  Yoona’s there, go ask.”  Kyungsoo replies and Luhan thanks him before he leaves for the adjoining kitchen, mentally making a note to try out the turkey s later.

He goes through the door and bumps into Minho who’s holding a chocolate truffle and a glass of mulled cider.  “Hey, Han.”

“Hey Minho.”  Luhan greets, then his eyes widen as he sees the glass of mulled cider.  “Mulled cider!  Where did you get it?!”

“By the counter, from Yoona.”  Minho replies and Luhan thanks him as he heads straight for the counter.

“Yoona!  Mulled cider, please.”  Luhan asks once he reaches the counter.  Joonmyeon suddenly appears beside him, grinning like an idiot.

“One mulled cider coming up!”  Yoona replies and goes to make the drink.  Luhan looks at Joonmyeon questioningly.

“Sugar high.”  Joonmyeon replies, still grinning like a drunken idiot.

“Oh no, what did you eat?”  Luhan asks.  His experiences with a sugar high Joonmyeon are just few, and with good reason.  They always end up in stupid dares that shoot down each other’s dignities.

“Pavlova.”  Joonmyeon replies and Luhan just groans.

“Go drink some milk, it’ll calm you down… I think.”  Luhan replies, focusing his attention back to the counter when Yoona appears with his drink.

“Does Joonmyeon want anything?”  Yoona asks Luhan once the other had taken his drink.

“Milk.”  Luhan replies and Joonmyeon pouts.  “Nuh-uh, no coffee for you when you’re already sugar high.”

Yoona gives a low whistle.  “I’ll go get a glass of milk for you.”

“Make it a carton.”  Luhan replies before taking a sip of the cider.  “Aaah… now that’s awesome.”

“Hey Luhan.”  A familiar voice says and Luhan turns around after Joonmyeon’s face becomes serious.

“Yixing.”  Luhan replies, breathless.  It’s the first time he’s seen Yixing since their conversation in Minseok’s bedroom back in the penthouse and he doesn’t know how to react.

“What’re you doing here?”  Joonmyeon asks, glaring at Yixing.

“I… uhm… I just…”  Yixing says, trying to form the right words.

“Who even invited you here?”  Joonmyeon asks, stepping forward.

“Suho.”  Luhan calls as he puts a hand on Joonmyeon’s arm, stopping his childhood friend.

“No, Luhan.  This guy cheats on you and then turns up in here?”  Joonmyeon asks, then they see Kim Kibum approaching them.  “And you even brought him?!” 

“Joonmyeon, seriously…”

“No, Luhan.  It’s okay.  I mean, he does have every right to be angry.”  Yixing says.

“Good to know that you know.”  Joonmyeon replies, eyes narrowing at Yixing.

“Luhan, listen.”  Yixing huffs, “I don’t really know how to say this…”

“Then don’t.”  Luhan replies.  “What more should we talk about, Zhang Yixng?  What’s done is done; can we please just get on with our lives?”

“The thing is, I heard about Minseok…”  Yixing begins and Luhan puts down his now empty glass on the counter with a loud thud.  No one aside from them is in the kitchen; except for Yoona who’s now back with Joonmyeon’s carton and glass of milk.

“Don’t.”  Luhan says, voice shaking with anger.  “Don’t go there.  Don’t even think about it.  You don’t get to say you’re sorry about what happened to Minseok because you’re not, for all I know!”

“What?!  That’s…”

“Shut up.”  Luhan says, not shouting anymore.  Everyone knows that Luhan’s really, really angry when he’s gone past the shouting phase.  Kibum appears and puts a hand on Yixing’s arm, looking at Luhan and Joonmyeon.  “ you.”  Luhan finishes and then he’s out; out the kitchen and out the house, probably, if he didn’t bump into Changmin while on his way to the back door.

“Luhan?  Where are you going, the party isn’t even halfway done yet!”  Changmin says after they’ve both regained balance.

“Out.  I need… I…”  Luhan says, fumbling with his words.  Tears are forming in his eyes and he just wants to be with Minseok, whether the other boy is awake or not.

“Luhan?  Are you okay?  What do you need?”  Changmin asks, worry etched in his voice and features.

“Minseok.  I just need Minseok.”  Luhan replies before running away and out of the back door.  He goes to his SUV and just climbs into the back seat before he calls Minho and asks him to go to the car.  Luhan just stays there while waiting for Minho, hugging his knees and close to tears.  Finally, the door to the driver’s seat opens and Minho goes in and starts the car.

“Where to?”  Minho asks Luhan.

“Minseok.”  Luhan replies and Minho nods, knowing fully where to go.

~O~

It’s half an hour before midnight when Victoria finishes the book, putting it down and letting Shakespeare’s words wash over her brain.  The characters names—Lucentio, Vincentio—are still floating in her head when the door opens, revealing a panting and crying Luhan.

“Luhan?  What happened?”  Victoria asks, panic washing over her.  Luhan doesn’t reply, but looks at Victoria and then at Minseok’s bed instead.  He looks caught up in between talking to Victoria and just joining Minseok, and apparently chooses the latter.  Luhan climbs on the bed, slipping under the covers and hugging Minseok, burying his face on the crook of Minseok’s neck.

“Luhan…” Victoria says, not knowing what to do.

“Victoria, please, I need this.  I need Minseok, so please.”  Luhan pleads, his voice almost incomprehensible because of the tears.

“Okay.”  Victoria replies because she really understands.  She’s seen how important Minseok is to Luhan and he knows that this point will come—the point where Luhan won’t be able to hold back anymore.  “Do you want me to tell Jinki?”

“No, there’s no need.  Thanks, Victoria.  Really, thanks.”  Luhan replies and Victoria just smiles before she leaves the two alone, closing the door as gently as she can.

Luhan watches the door close and waits for a few minutes before he seats up and leans on his elbows.  Minseok’s face is illuminated by the soft light coming from the lamp beside them, and it looks as peaceful as the last time Luhan had seen it.  Luhan runs a hand on Minseok’s hair, taking in the soft locks.  Then, he brings the hand to the other’s face, caressing it as he did so.  He thumbs his cheeks, runs a finger through the lips, and just touches because he can, because Minseok loves him and he loves Minseok and they’re meant to be together.  Minseok sighs and Luhan lies back down, his face mere inches from Minseok’s.  He puts a hand atop Minseok’s, clutching it tightly, and nuzzles his nose against Minseok’s cheek.

“Min, it’s almost Christmas.  Please, I, I know I’m being selfish but I need you.  I really do.  I love you.  So please, come back to me.  You’re the only one I want for Christmas so please, please, just…. God, I don’t even know what to do anymore.”  Luhan says, his ability to form complete sentences seemingly gone at the moment.  “Just… just be okay and wake up.  I’m going crazy here; I don’t think I can go on like this.”  Luhan says, crying more and nuzzling his face against Minseok’s cheek once again.

The snow is falling outside Changmin’s mansion, just like anywhere else, including the hospital.  People who will look outside their windows will see soft snow falling from the sky, adding to the layer of white slush on the ground.  People will celebrate, have fun, and enjoy themselves on this night of merriment just as Luhan falls asleep beside Minseok, exhaustion finally catching up with him.

He dreams of snow, of coffee, of pastries, of Bambi, of his parents, of his friends, and most of all… he dreams of Minseok.

 

 

A/N: Sorry for not updating for so long, exams and papers were killing me!

Once again, I would like to thank everyone for sticking with this story.  I'm still sad that Luhan left, but it's completely understandable.  I just really hope that he and Minseok stay friends even though he's not in EXO anymore.  Let's all keep supporting EXO and Luhan in their future endeavours!

Anyway, happy halloween (even though it's Christmas in the story lol)! :3