Chapter 13

Say You'll Mean It

“Sehun!”  Luhan exclaims from Minseok’s bedside once the younger boy comes into the room.

“Hey, Luhan.  How is he?”  Sehun asks, sitting on the couch.

“Still the same.  You sure this is okay?  Don’t you have a job?”  Luhan asks.  He’s going to help with the bakery today, but he still needs someone to watch over Minseok.  He called Sehun this morning to ask if he’s available, and luckily the boy accepted the offer.

“Sure, I wanna spend some time with Minseok, too.  I miss my best friend.”  Sehun says.

“Thank you, really.  I gotta go now; Changmin’s going insane in there.  I’ll bring some pastries when I come back, okay?  Oh, and don’t hesitate to call if you need anything.”  Luhan reminds Sehun.

“Sure, sure.  Good luck, man.  And be careful.”  Sehun says, taking Luhan’s previous seat.

“Sure, bye!”  Luhan says before he dashes down the hall.  Sehun chuckles, before taking Minseok’s hand in his own.

“You’re boyfriend’s really a funny guy, you know.”  He begins, staring at Minseok’s face, willing his eyes to open.  “I still remember what you told me about my words when it comes to Zitao; I’ve tried, but it ended up all wrong.  When Luhan did whatever to you that day in the staff room, I went to see him to ask for help but I ended up telling him that I don’t want to see him anymore.  It’s stupid, isn’t it?”  Sehun says and then laughs, running a hand through Minseok’s hair. 

Sehun leans back into the chair and stares out the window.  The snow is still falling, making everything white.  I’ve always wanted a white Christmas before, but now I’m getting tired of it.

~O~

Zitao looks at Jongin’s swollen eyes and feels that he knows exactly what happened.

“Someone broke up with you?”  Zitao asks, eyes imploring.

“Nope.”  Jongin replies and Zitao suddenly feels stupid.

“No?!”

“Yes, no.  Taemin called me about Minseok.”  Jongin replies and, oh.

“Don’t worry, I’m sure he’ll be okay.”  Zitao assures the guy.

“Is Luhan okay?”

“We don’t know.  I think he’s distracting himself by working at the bakery.  I feel really bad for him.  He finally realized that he loves Minseok and then this happens.  Talk about wrong timing.”  Zitao says.

“Yeah, anyway, what can I do for you today?”  Jongin asks.

“I need some flowers.  White violets, lots of them.”  Zitao replies.

“For whom?”

“Sehun.”

“I’m pretty sure he’ll take on the offer.  He loves you, you know, despite what he might say.  That boy just has some issues when it comes to saying the right words.”  Jongin replies, taking the order.  “Are you going to wait up for the flowers, or what?”

“I’ll be back later, I just need to go get some coffee.  You want some?”  Zitao offers.

“Yeah, sure.  Thanks.”  Jongin says as Zitao walks out of XOXO and makes his way to Starbucks, passing Cassiopeia in the process.  He has an internal debate on whether he should go in or not, and ends up going in after five minutes of standing outside the doors.  He enters, and Jinri greets him with a smile.

“Hello, what can we do for you today?”

“Uhm… is Sehun here?”  Zitao asks.

“Nope.”  A voice to his right answers, and he turns towards it and is greeted by Chanyeol leaning against the doorframe.  “He’s in the hospital today.  He’s watching over Minseok while Luhan’s at work.”

“Oh, do you know how long he’ll be there?”

“Not really.  I mean, it all depends on Luhan.”  Chanyeol replies, giving him a suggestive smirk.

“Okay.  Thanks.”  Zitao says before going out and finally heading to Starbucks.  He enters and the place is full, a contrast to the previous times he’s been in the shop the past few weeks.

“Hey, Zitao.  What do you want today?”  Jongdae asks.  Yifan is making something behind the other barista and didn’t even notice his presence.

“Uhm… just some plain black coffee.  Two.”  Zitao replies.

“So, how’ve you been?  Have you been to the hospital again?”  Jongdae asks.  “I was planning on going back there, but Yifan and I can’t find time to do so because of the Christmas rush.”

“Not yet, but maybe later I’ll go there.  Chanyeol said that Sehun is watching over Minseok while Luhan’s on the job so…” 

“Oh, you plan to talk to him?”  Yifan replies, placing the coffee on a tray and calling the customer’s name.

“Yeah, to both of them.  Even if Minseok probably will not hear me, I still have to thank him, though.”  Zitao replies and Yifan laughs.

“I’m sorry, it’s just really funny.  I mean, why is everyone seizing the chance to go and talk to Minseok to thank him or whatsoever just now?   Couldn’t we do it when he’s awake?  Does something like this really have to happen for us to realize that he’s been right all along and we’ve totally been stupid?”  Yifan says, looking down at his feet.

“It’s sad, isn’t it?  I hope Luhan’s okay.”  Jongdae says, handing Zitao his order.

“We really do hope so.”  Zitao replies, staring at the coffee cups in his hands.

~O~

“I never really knew what Zitao and I were doing before.  We were both unsure, so it looked like it was just a game.  It was like a gamble involving desire, but we both didn’t make any bets.  We were playing safe, trying to make it a win-win situation, but in the end, we both lost.”  Sehun says, telling the comatose Minseok everything that’s happened to him and Zitao.

“I always did think that it was too easy, one minute we were enemies then the next we’re lovers.  That’s probably the reason why it didn’t make sense; we took a shortcut to make things easy but we still ended up making things more complicated.”  Sehun says before sighing and leaning back.  He takes his notebook from his back and flips it open to the page where they’re writing “Angel”.

He sees Minseok’s handwriting; the words that he so desperately wants to tell Luhan written on the page of his notebook.  Sehun grabs his pen and writes, the words he so desperately wants to tell Zitao spilling on the paper in the form of ink.  After he writes, he examines his work.  It may not be that much yet—Minseok’s share is still larger—but still, it’s something.  He smiles as he puts the pen and notebook down before he pets Minseok’s head.

“You did well, Minnie.  I guess I owe you, then.  You’ve written your part, now it’s my turn.”  Sehun says before he starts to write once again.

~O~

The door of the bakery opens and Luhan leans back on his seat from the office to check out who it is.  Changmin left an hour ago, leaving him to manage the bakery.  Henry Lau and Amber Liu, the two in charge of the bakery, went to get some coffee so Luhan was left to man the place all by himself.

“Hello?  Is anybody there?”  The person asks and Luhan immediately freezes.  He’s stuck between going and meeting this person and just ignoring him, getting back at him with little ways, but Changmin would be furious if he finds out that Luhan turned down a customer just for fun.

Luhan stands up and goes out of the office.  “Yeah, sorry, I was busy.”  He replies and the person looks at him in shock.

“Oh, hi Luhan.” 

“Hi, Kim Kibum.”  Luhan replies as cold as possible.

“What are you doing in here?”  Kibum replies.

“Working, obviously.  I actually own this business, but my uncle’s taking care of this for me while I’m still in school.  I just decided to help him out since the Christmas rush is hard to manage.  Did you want something?”

“Yeah, actually.  Just some cinnamon rolls.  Four.”  Kibum replies, and Luhan remembers Yixing telling him how much he loves cinnamon rolls and the thought just makes Luhan want to puke.  He goes to the area containing the freshly baked bread and takes out four cinnamon rolls.  He puts them in a paper bag that has Christmas designs all over it and his heart suddenly clenches.  There’s a chance that Minseok won’t be with me this Christmas.  He comes back to Kibum and hands him the paper bag.  Kibum pays but stays a little longer, fidgeting like some guilty lunatic.

“Listen, Luhan, I heard about Minseok—“ Kibum starts but Luhan cuts him off.

“Don’t.  You don’t get to do this, Kibum.”  Luhan begins, glaring at the older boy.  “You don’t get to have with Yixing while we’re still together and act like it’s nothing.”

“Luhan, I’m sorry, I—“ Kibum starts once again, but Luhan just cuts him off again.

“Also, you don’t get to be sorry because I’m pretty sure you wanted it too!  You ing enjoyed it too!  Not that it matters anymore but still, Yixing and I were together for god’s sake!  Oh, and you don’t get to talk about Minseok because you don’t know him, hear that?  You don’t know a single thing about him, that’s why you should just shut up your Yixing- mouth and leave!”  Luhan screams, pointing to the door.  Kibum just nods before turning back and finally leaving.

Luhan takes a deep breath, calming himself down, and looks at the pumpkin bread near him.  He sighs, remembering how much Minseok was addicted to that last Christmas.  He goes back to the office and sits down once again, head in his hands.

~O~

Sehun enters Minseok’s room, coming back from the small restaurant near the hospital.  He’s carrying a bag of pumpkin gingerbread in his right hand, thinking of how much Minseok was addicted to any bread recipe with pumpkin in it last Christmas.  He used to give us a different recipe each week.  It was so funny but he was so enthusiastic that we couldn’t help but go with it.  He enters, expecting to see the room empty except for Minseok, but is surprised to see someone sitting on the chair near the bed.

“Sehun.”  The someone says, causing Sehun to freeze in shock at the doorway.

“Zitao?  What are you doing in here?”  Sehun replies, entering the room.  He places the bag on the table near the couch before he stands beside bed.  He pulls out another chair near the couch and sits on it, placing a hand on Minseok’s forehead and brushing his brow.  “Hey, I’m back.  Sorry for the wait.”  He tells Minseok softly.

“I wanted to see both of you.”  Zitao replies, returning Minseok’s hand, which he had been holding, on its place on Minseok’s stomach, together with his other hand.

“Well, that’s nice of you.”  Sehun replies.  It shouldn’t be this way.  God, Minseok, just wake up so you can help me, damnit!

“Sehun, can we talk about what happened the last time?” 

“I’m really sorry about that, Zitao.  I really am.”

“Me too.  I just wish I could’ve done something to prevent Luhan from doing that.”

“It was harsh, but at least he now realized what he really feels towards Minseok, even if he has wrong timing.”  Sehun replies, pouting.

Zitao chuckles slightly, causing Sehun to look at him weirdly.  “Isn’t it weird that we’re talking like this?  Two of us on opposite sides of Minseok’s bed, and we’re talking about Luhan’s stupidity.  There’s a chance that he could hear us, you know.”

“All the better then.  Luhan’s been telling him how much he loves him ever since they found him lying near the apartment.  I think it’s already pretty clear to Minseok that Luhan loves him if that’s the case.”  Sehun replies, taking his hand off his best friend’s forehead and placing it on top of one of Minseok’s hands.  Zitao does the same, and both could feel their fingers brushing against each other.

“Oh, I brought this for you.”  Zitao says, handing Sehun a bundle of white violets.  Sehun takes them and looks at them curiously, before looking at Minseok’s peaceful face.  Minseok would immediately know what Zitao means by this.

“Thanks, they’re beautiful.  I don’t really know what they mean but, still, thanks.”  Sehun replies, smiling slightly at Zitao.  Zitao frowns slightly, and Sehun begins to panic.  “But don’t worry, I’ll call Yeol later and ask him what they mean.”

Zitao smiles slightly before petting Minseok’s head.  “Thanks buddy, I owe you.  Wake up soon, okay?  I’ll treat you with some candies from the shop as soon as you do.”  

Zitao stands and Sehun inwardly groans.  Gosh, I at this.  “Bye, Sehun.  Bye, Minseok.”  Zitao says.

“Bye, Zitao.  Take care and see you soon, okay?”  Sehun replies with a hopeful smile.

“Definitely.”  Zitao replies before he finally leaves, opening and closing the door silently as if not doing so would wake up Minseok.  Sehun is wishing it really would.  He runs a hand through his hair before squeezing Minseok’s hand with the other.

“Gosh, did you hear that?”  Sehun asks, hoping for an answer.  Nothing comes, and he just continues.  “I .  Seriously, I did.  Now he’s disappointed in me.  What the hell am I supposed to do now?”  Sehun asks, putting his face on his hands.  He stays like that for some time until he hears the door open behind him.  He turns around and sees Luhan standing at the doorway, smiling at him.

“Hey, Sehun.”  Luhan asks, closing the door behind him.  “I brought some pumpkin cranberry bread for you.”

Sehun chuckles.  “I brought some pumpkin gingerbread for you.”  They both laugh as they exchanged paper bags.

“Thanks for everything, Sehun.”  Luhan says, sitting on the chair opposite Sehun and taking Minseok’s hand, kissing his fingertips.

“My pleasure.  I should go now, my dad said he’s help me with one of the songs that I’m writing.”  Sehun replies, taking his stuff after standing up.

“Sure.  Be careful, okay?  Thanks again for everything.”  Luhan replies just as Sehun opens the door.

“No, Luhan, thanks.  For the chance to be with my best friend and for taking care of him.  You’ve done and is still doing so much for him and I’m pretty sure he appreciates it.”  Sehun says, smiling, before stepping out and closing the door.

Luhan places Minseok’s hand to his cheek, and cups Minseok’s face with the other.  Minseok is slightly facing him, giving him better access to check his condition.  He’s improving, really.  The color is returning to his face, he’s warm now unlike before when he was so cold, and he looks so much healthier and better than before.  Luhan’s now caressing Minseok’s cheek, feeling the baby soft skin underneath his fingers.

“So, I’m back.  I hope Sehun was good company for you.”  Luhan begins and scans his memory for anything worth mentioning to Minseok.  “Oh!  I had my first day at helping Changmin with the bakery today.  It was really fun, well, if you don’t take into account my brief and very unpleasant encounter with Kim Kibum but let’s not go there.  Let’s just focus on the good things.”  Luhan says, climbing onto the bed and sitting, before putting an arm behind Minseok’s shoulders and settling his hand atop Minseok’s head, petting it.  His other hand grips Minseok’s hand that his other hand was holding a while ago, and he’s now slightly playing with the younger boy’s beautiful fingers.

“Henry Lau and Amber Liu both bake really well; if Kyungsoo is to gourmet then they’re to baked goods.  They’re both art students at the university and you should meet them, I’m sure the three of you would click.  They would like to extend their greetings to you, by the way, and hope that you wake up soon so that you can taste their pumpkin pie bread because apparently, Henry bakes some killer pumpkin flavored pastries.”

Luhan pauses and takes a deep breath.  “Oh, before I forget…”  He says, whipping out his phone and dialing Changmin’s number.

Hey, Luhan!  Thanks for the help a while ago!

“Sure but, I don’t think I can make it tomorrow.  I wanna stay with Min, they’re going to do something according to Jinki.”

Sure, sure.  Take care of the two of you, okay?  I’ll visit once I can, okay?  Bye!

Luhan chuckles before putting his phone back in his pocket.  He plays with Minseok’s hair for some time before continuing.  “So, I bumped into Jinki a while ago when I’m on my way here to you room and he told me something.  Apparently, you’re doing a really good job and your temp’s going back to normal.  He said they’re going to remove the catheters supplying you with the liquids to your bladder and chest since they think it’s not needed anymore.  They’re doing that tomorrow that’s why I’m going to stay here with you.  Hear that?  You’re doing great, Min, and that’s wonderful!  Just a little more and everything’s going to be okay again, so don’t give up.  I’m here with you every step of the way.”  Luhan says before he kisses the top of Minseok’s head.

“Go and rest now, okay?  I’ll be sleeping on the couch, okay?  Good night, Seokkie.”  Luhan says, smiling softly at the nickname before he slips off the bed and goes straight to the couch, getting his book out of his bag in the process.  He lies on the couch, his head cushioned by the pillow the nurses gave him last night and puts the blanket on top of him before he goes to read, eventually falling asleep some time later.

 

 

A/N: The Starbucks was full this time. (>)