Him

Post-Its

Youngjae was at the rooftop of the hospital, enjoying the silent night in Seoul and the magnificent view of the bustling city. After living here for two years, he still found himself lingering out of his ward, coming up here just to feel the cool night breeze in solitude. In his hands was his precious clear file that holds the memories he had from his used to be hometown, Busan.

“Promises are meant to be broken…” Youngjae whispered to himself, draped in the dull white hospital clothes as he looked up at the stars shining brightly in the sky.

“Even when my world seems so dark, I can’t get myself to just give up on you.” He held onto his file, smiling at the blue post-its inside the clear file. Images of his smiling special friend flashed in his mind.

 “Never give up Youngjae, I am there for you! You can ask me if you need any help.^^”

“All these…” Youngjae chuckled bitterly. “You never got to know how much they meant to me”

 

“After two years, I still couldn’t keep to my promise” He looked up at the stars above and sighed, feeling tears welling up in his eyes.

“Just like the shining stars I see every night, it’s like you are always there with me in my darkest time…”

 

You, I can’t see you, I can’t hear you

But I’m okay

Goodbyes are sad, my heart aches

But if you are happy, if you can smile, then I…

 

 

 

Four Years Ago,

 

 “Youngjae…”

“Yeah Dad?”

“We have been discussing…”

“We?”

“Yeah, we….” Mr Yoo chuckled softly to himself, patting his son’s hair gently.” After they announced where you go in a few months’ time, you would be staying with me alright?”

“O-Okay Dad….” Youngjae grinned up at his father, watching him make his way to the kitchen. His smile disappeared seeing his father taking his phone out, making a call to someone.

“He is fine” Youngjae sat beside his father, watching him blew out smoke from his mouth and pulled his cigarette away. He covered his nose, waving his hand around hoping to get rif of the smell of cigar away. He could faintly see his father’s glassy eyes, softly whispering to the phone.

“Please forgive me”

 

 

~~~

 

 

“Youngjae?”

“Yes dad?”

“Be careful in school alright?” Youngjae nodded, smiling at his father who was ruffling his hair.

“Sure dad” He mumbled a small ‘you too’, genuinely worried for his father who had been coughing and chest pains for the past week. He was able to give him a huge grin, happy to see his father finally giving him a big smile-he knew his father was undergoing a terrible ordeal already after being fired from his job.

He thought it was a good thing he was fired- that way he can spend more time with his father.

“Bye dad!” His father watched his bubbly son walk out of the door, in his hand holding tightly onto a cigarette that he later discarded away.

“For my son” The father spoke to himself as he looked on at the dustbin. He took out his packet of cigarettes and reluctantly throwing them away in the dustbin. He walked away and sat in his couch, thinking of his precious son.

“It’s for my son”

 

 

 

“I am ready for my duty!” The teacher librarian shook her head at Youngjae, chuckling softly to herself. Youngjae was the only student who was ever enthusiastic about being on duty and helping her in the library. Even though he wasn’t so punctual to come for his duties, he was always doing his best in everything he does here. Like stacking the books neatly and correctly, being polite to anyone who wanted him to scan the books they wanted to borrow and also helping out students to find their desired books if they appeared lost in the library. Other students who were on duty were not as friendly and hardworking as Youngjae. She even caught some of them sleeping on their duty.

“You just have to patrol around the library, make sure no one is doing anything…suspicious alright?” Youngjae gave her a thumbs up before he went marching off to do his duty. He looked around at the shelves, making sure no books were misplaced and were in their designated places. He was shaking his head disapprovingly when he spotted a mistake, pulling the brown book out and looked around for the book’s rightfully place.

“Hmm…section G…” Youngjae mumbled to himself as he walked towards the section. Just as he was about to place the book back at where it belonged, he noticed a student busy studying at one of the tables nearby.

He blinked as the dark-haired student looked up from his book, revealing his charismatic and handsome face. Youngjae scanned his face, from his pretty eyes down to his thick red lips. He looked cute, tilting his head at him so innocently making Youngjae secretly wishing he could just pinch his squishy cheeks and squeezed the life out of him.

“Hey” The librarian snapped out of his trance, taking a few steps seeing the student waving at him. He panicked afterwards seeing the golden badge on his collar indicating he was from the student council- he was very infamous among them due to his latecoming and his likeliness to get into troubles with his teachers. He bowed down at the student before running away to the next row of shelves. He peered through the empty place between the books, biting his lips that were inching to smile, watching the student looking around with furrowed eyebrows.

“Jung...Dae…hyun…” Youngjae managed to read his nametag before getting startled by a hand on his back. To his dismay, it was the fierce-looking teacher librarian.

“Yoo Youngjae, what did I tell you-“

“I am so sorry!!!!” Youngjae bowed at her, scratching his head sheepishly as the librarian glowered at him.

“Yah, go back to work.” Youngjae saluted her before slowly walking away from the section. He gave her a huge smile as he moved, turning away once seeing the teacher shaking her head at him with a weak smile.

Coincidentally he made a turn, catching a glance of the student he was looking at earlier smiling at him. Youngjae was very sure that the student, the one called Jung Dae Hyun, was able to see him blush, feeling that his cheeks were turning hot from being so flustered and nervous. He didn’t even know why he was so anxious being near Dae Hyun but he managed to give him a tight smile. After seeing the huge smile Dae hyun gave him in return, Youngjae suddenly felt a rush of adrenaline in his legs. He quickly hid behind the bookshelf nearest to him and tried to calm himself down.

He could feeling his heart beating so quickly, his legs slowly feeling jelly and his heart melting thinking of the student he saw earlier. He bit his lips as he peeked over, only to quickly retreat into safety catching the student’s eyes on him.

Youngjae felt his heart beating fast and secretly smiled to himself.

 

He looked at me.

 

Youngjae peeked over again, this time wishing that he would be able to see more of the student.

But later did he knew, the student, Jung Daehyun never fail to appear in the library studying all by himself.

Or the student would become the vice president of the student council of the school.

 

 

 

Just an introduction, hope you like it^^