Chapter Two

Inexplicable Melancholy

September 18th,  2014

Kris's POV:

I hate it here. Ever since moving to Korea, I haven't found anywhere where I can just fit in and get on with life. In a way, it's always been like this though. My English sounds too Chinese and my Chinese sounds too English. And now in Korea, I just sound too foreign.

Every time I go to school, other students stare at me. I'm probably the only new student this year, it's such a small school. And then when I speak and I have an accent, they start saying things about me.

Sometimes I just want to shout at them, I still know Korean, and I hear everything you're saying!

But that's not going to happen.

I'd rather just tune them out and focus on getting through the day.

I check my phone as I walk into the school.

!

I didn't realize I had left so late. I had to be in homeroom in 2 minutes.

I started walking quicker, taking long strides. This was one of the few times I felt so thankful for being as tall as I am.

I weaved between people, the hallways crowded with students making their way to homeroom.

I hurried to my locker, cursing under my breath as I fumble with the lock.

After finally opening my locker, throwing in some of my books, and grabbing the stuff I need, I turn on my heels and begin to walk again, only to end up on the ground a moment later. 

It doesn't take long for me to realize, as I look at the person on the ground across from me, that the reason for my being on the ground was none other than my own stupidity as I ran right into another student.

"Duìbùqǐ." I mutter, before realizing my mistake. "I mean, sorry! I'm sorry about that. I wasn't paying attention."

Just then, the late bell goes off, and without waiting for a response, I run over towards the student, and pick up the notebook that he dropped a couple of feet away, handing it to the dazed student, before turning from him, intending to run off to class.

"You...speak Chinese?"

The soft and deliberate way he spoke somehow managed to catch my attention, and I turned back to face him.

"Uh...yeah. I was born in China."

His face, before expressionless, lights up into a kind smile.

"So was I! Are you new here?"

"Yeah, this is my first year."

I want to talk to him more, but I also know I'm already late, and I'd rather not have to be lectured to in front of my homeroom class. I shifting my weight from one foot to the other, looking in the direction of my homeroom class.

"Ah, I see. Well, I know you're probably in a rush, and I really should be going too. I'd love to talk to you later though. Would you want to meet up for lunch later on?"

"Oh, sure, yeah. Do you have lunch during 5th period?"

He smiled, nodding. I noticed that he had a single dimple on the right side of his face.

"Great, I can meet you outside of the cafeteria if you want then."

"I'll look forward to it, then." He paused. "My name is Zhang Yixing, by the way."

Even just hearing another Chinese name took me back for a moment.

"And I'm Wu Yifan." It felt weird saying my Chinese name. I had gotten so used to telling people to just call me Kris. It was nice.

"Well, it's been nice meeting you, Wu Yifan, but it's probably best for both of us if we head to class."

I chuckle, nodding and quickly turning around. Just the relief of talking to someone, not having to worry about what they think of me, made being late completely worth it.

 

Author's note:

Sorry this is so short! Hopefully I'll be adding more soon. I just wanted to be able to upload what I had so far since I really intended to update this a lot sooner x.x I probably shouldn't try to write 3 stories at once, but we shall see what happens with that xD