Chapter One

Inexplicable Melancholy

Kim Minseok liked to think he was a happy person. Not obscenely so.  But still, generally a happy person. An ordinary, happy person.

Kim Minseok was not amazingly smart, but he worked hard and as a result was able to be considered one of the better students at his school.

Kim Minseok was not incredibly popular, in fact, more often than not, he wouldn't even recognize the face of a fellow student outside of school, and it was unlikely another student would recognize him, but still, he did have a group of friends that he could rely on, and that was enough for him.

And Kim Minseok was not especially talented, though he had a variety of interests, it seemed he was just one of those unfortunate people that, regardless of what skill they pursue, they would always be capped off at "pretty good", never being able to excel beyond that into the realm of "excellence". He didn't mind though, because the things that he enjoyed doing he did for himself, and not for others, whether it be singing, dancing, playing piano, or writing; he was good enough for himself, so it was okay. 

One thing Kim Minseok was, however, was highly perceptive and sensitive. Not sensitive in the way of being over-emotional, but rather, he was highly in-tuned with his and other people's emotions.

Early on in his life, Minseok often wondered why it was that there were times where a sudden wave of sadness would overwhelm him, bringing him to the verge of tears.  There was no explanation, and for a time he feared that he was slipping into the clutches of depression, and yet, every time, he would somehow emerge from these sudden bouts of sadness feeling almost enlightened. 

It was when Minseok was in middle school that he experienced the death of his father, something that hit him hard and shook his entire world to its core.  There was a time where Minseok became so depressed he barely slept or ate, however, after weeks of grieving, he suddenly experienced a burst of relief. Though he knew he would always miss his father, there came a time when he accepted that perhaps this was just the way his life was meant to be, and upon this acceptance came the notion that his father truly was 'in a better place' now.  Such a revelation struck a chord with him, reminding Minseok of all the times he had felt so depressed for seemingly no reason.

What if these feelings of sadness was his body's way of telling him a loved one had died?

It was clear that these lost loved ones were not people he knew, but rather, those he was meant to know later on in life.

Upon this revelation, Minseok was able to cope with his occasional bouts of melancholy, instead viewing them as a gift, a way of being able to say goodbye.

March 17th, 2014

Minseok's POV:

Life continued on as normal for Minseok, and eventually his 'depression' seemingly faded during his middle school years, rarely ever making itself present.  It wasn't until about halfway through his junior year of high school that he once again broke down during school. 

It was during his lunch break that, like a crashing wave, he could feel all of his former emotions being crushed and washed away, leaving him with an overwhelming feeling of emptiness that far surpassed the intensity of any other instance in his life. 

Throwing out the remainder of his lunch, Minseok ran out of the school, thankful for the fresh air as the light breeze drifted across his face.  He shut his eyes, letting the sun beat against the outside of his eyelids and the wind blow through his hair, tears falling down his cheeks.

He took out his cell phone, texting his Luhan and Chen, his two friends that shared the rest of his classes, letting them know he was going home sick, and he began walking home.

March 18th, 2014

It wasn't until the next morning that Minseok came back downstairs.  He walked into the kitchen and poured himself a bowl of cereal.  He had woken up earlier than usual and was taking his time moving about the kitchen before finally settling down at the counter.  The morning newspaper laid at the corner of the counter, next to an empty plate and lukewarm cup of half drunken tea.  Minseok smirked to himself, easily recognizing the signs that his mother had overslept and rushed out the door moments ago in order to get to work. 

Minseok picked up the newspaper and began fumbling through the pages, unsure what else to do with so much time before school started.  He flipped through the pages, mostly reading the headlines and looking at the pictures before stopping at the obituaries page. 

His eyes met a picture of a boy who couldn't be much older than he was.  The name listed was Wu Yifan and as he continued reading the obituary, Minseok could feel his heart sinking lower and lower.  Wu Yifan was a senior at the same school he went to and he had only recently turned nineteen.  He died yesterday, March 17th at 12:19pm.

There was nothing else listed in the obituary; nothing about the cause of death, nothing about any kind of funeral.

Minseok could feel his eyes watering as they kept gravitating to stare back at the picture of this person he had probably walked by on multiple occasions, now reduced to a grainy black and white photo in the back of a newspaper. 

He knew right then and there, as he stared at that picture, that Wu Yifan was meant to have a profound impact on his life, and now that could never happen. 

It was in that moment that Minseok vowed to discover everything he could about Wu Yifan.

 

Author's note: Hey there everyone! Thanks for reading ^^ I don't know when I'll next be updating this, but hopefully soon. Next chapter should hopefully be from Kris's POV