Chapter 2: Same Place, Same Time

What I've Just Realized

"Okay, one last practice for your final song and we're done!" The manager said, signaling the committee assigned for the sounds to play the background once more.

The song started, so loud that the stage shook and the speakers rattle.

Everyone was tired already, after almost two and a half hours of practicing and preparing for the concert and taking only short breaks to rest. Ever since Sulli and her group arrived here, they've witnessed everyone moving everywhere non-stop; people assembling the speakers throughout the arena, stage crews carrying chairs, mic stands, and small platforms for those who will perform tomorrow, including the group she's in to. It was already 1:25 pm and none of them are still taking their lunch. Sulli never felt so exhausted in her life.

"My legs feel numb. I hate this." Krystal whispered and rolled her eyes.

Sulli smiled faintly and wiped the sweat trickling down her temples with the back of her hands. "Me either." She replied.

A middle-aged man--who has been conducting their practices--came out of the backstage and faced them at the bottom of the elevated platform. "Okay, I guess that's enough for now girls! Enjoy the rest of the day! And," he added, "good luck on your performance tomorrow." He said while smiling, and left.

"Kamsahamnida!" They all replied cheerfully and released a sigh of relief, and made their way to retrieve their things.

Victoria took her jug and gulped three mouthfuls of water. "Hey, you girls, where do you want to eat lunch?" She inquired. "Don't worry, my treat." She added and grinned.

They all thought for a second, thinking of those familiar restaurants they've visited the last time they had a tour in New York.

It was Luna who spoke first. "Um, is there any Asian restaurant here? I'm getting a bit homesick and that's the least thing that could go to to make me feel at home."

Amber smiled. "Well that sounds like a good idea. I know a Ramen shop somewhere near here." She said.

 

 

 

The streets of New York has been filled with snow by the time Sulli, together with Victoria, Amber, Luna and Krystal, went out of the stadium to eat their lunch. As they've reached the store, they immediately took the chairs near the glass pane wall, where you can look through and see children throwing snow balls at one another at the sidewalks. After waiting for a short time, finally their orders have arrived and they were able to finish it in less than ten minutes.

"Unnie, I'm so full! Thanks for treating us!" Luna said gratefully.

Victoria grinned and said, "You're welcome."

Sulli gazed at the glass pane beside her, hoping to get a glimpse of the view outside, but was disappointed to see that it was obscured by the moist the weather has created on the panes. She sighed and instead played with the Hello Kitty keychain that was hanged on her small purse.

Suddenly, she remembered something.

Krystal must have noticed Sulli's change of expression and asked, "Sulliyah, is there something wrong?"

She stared at Krystal for a second before she replied. "Ah, no, nothing." She waved her hands in the air. "I just remembered something. I almost forgot oppa's birthday is near."

"Oh." The other girl said and after a few seconds, smirked at her.

Sulli scoffed. "What?"

"Did I say anything?" Krystal chuckled.

Just then, she realized that everyone has been listening to her and Soo Jung, and they were all staring at her, giggling. She knew why. They've been doing this to her every time she would bring up a topic involving him.

"Come on guys. I told you he is just like my older brother. Nothing more." She explained for the millionth time.

Amber waved her hand, as if shoving the issue away. "Fine, fine. Anyway, are you planning anything for him? We could help you, you know."

She though for a moment. "Well, nothing big. Maybe I'll just buy something for him then I'll visit his place." Sulli leaned on her hand and averted her eyes away, which eventually landed first on a man holding a tray with a bowl of ramen.

"Guys, I'll just buy something. I'll be right back." She stood up and passed by Victoria and Luna, who were sitting beside her on the bench. She felt them staring at her as she made her way to the counter, and followed the line in front of her.

The restaurant doesn't have any display that looks interesting, so instead, she observed the two men before her. Surprisingly, both of them are speaking in Korean, and their voices are so loud that she clearly heard them arguing about what food they should take. In the end, they've agreed to order Chicken Curry.

The woman at the back of the counter was smiling at them widely, and told them the total bill. One of them reached for his back pocket and snatched his wallet from it. Just then, it accidentally slipped from his hand and it fell on the ground. Sulli instinctively reached for it and handed it to the man.

"Ah, thank you." He said and bowed.

Before she could even return the bow to him, her eyes landed on the man's face, and she felt as shocked as he appeared to be too.

"Taemin oppa!" She exclaimed. She looked at the other man beside him. "Onew oppa!"

Taemin laughed. "Sulli, it's been a while since we've seen each other. What's up?" He asked.

She raised her thumbs up and grinned. "Good! I'm actually with Vic unnie and others too." She gestured toward the benches where they are seated.

Taemin seemed so happy to see her that he couldn't stop himself from asking questions about her and her whole group. And even the things she did this past fall. Meanwhile, Onew started eating his food on the nearest seat from the counter.

"Here's your order, miss." The lady on the cashier said and handed her a paper bag.

"Thank you."

By the time they approached the table where the other members stayed, Onew had already joined the girls and was sitting beside Luna.

"By the way, where are the others? Where's Minho oppa?" Sulli inquired.

Taemin raised his eyebrows. " Oh, them? Jonghyun and Key hyung stayed at the apartment to rest, but unfortunately, I have no idea where Minho hyung go."

At that, Sulli felt somehow disappointed. She didn't realize that it would be a big deal for her not to see him. She immediately shook the thought away.

"Anyway, I just remembered that his birthday is near so, I thought I could give him this." She lifted the paper bag on her hand. "But, he's somewhere I don't know where." She looked at Taemin. "Can I ask you a favor?" She bit her lip.

Did I offend him, she thought. The brightness from his face suddenly seemed to drain out of him.

He smiled slightly. "I'll see what I can do."

" Can you please give this to him when he comes home?" She asked.

He nodded and took the bag.

She sighed. "I guess there's nothing to do, so, do you want some hot chocolate, oppa?"

Taemin's seemed to light up to this. He chuckled. "Okay, but I should pay for it, okay?"

"No, I'll do it! And that's not that expensive." She protested.

"But--"

"I'll pay for it, no buts." She said tersely.

He scratched his head and sighed. "Tch, I know you wouldn't stop bothering me about paying for it, so if you insist, fine." He said and smiled. "But," he added, "I will treat you next time and I'm going to pay for it. No arguing."

She sticked her tongue out. "Okayyy."