Chapter 11: The Present

What I've Just Realized

You can't continue being like this. Choi Minho, get a grip.

Minho stared blankly at the gifts from his fans, which were all gathered in a pile at the corner of his room. By the time he got in his room, he went straight for his bed and flopped down on it, and rested his back at the wall. Good thing his keys were always inside his pocket, that's why he didn't have to knock and answer all the member's questions. Of all times, this is the definitely not the best time to piss him off.

"Are you okay?"

His head slowly turned to his door and saw his hyung watching him with curious and concerned eyes.

"I've been checking on you a while ago, but you weren't here yet. Good thing you're finally back."

"Hyung..." He cleared his throat. "Yeah, I'm okay. I'm sorry, okay I'll be out in a while to treat you all soju. Just give me a minute."

"Is there something wrong? Really..." Jinki continued to ask, though his voice remained the same soothing and gentle voice Minho would always associate with this clumsy yet, a very caring hyung of his.

He sighed. He felt like he would just explode anytime soon if he wouldn't talk to anyone now.

"Well... not really. But kinda, yes... I dunno. I'm sorry, I know I don't make any sense."

"Want to spill it out?" Jinki came closer and sat at the corner of his bed.

Minho bit his lip, hesitation holding him back. But what can he lose if he'd say what's bugging him to someone he'd grown with for years? Especially his Onew hyung?

"Well... I can't really say exactly what's wrong. S-something's just up with me, and I don't even know if I'm happy or not."

"Tell me. Is there someone who caused this? Because I'm pretty sure there is." Onew said.

The younger boy noticed something in the older boy's hands--a rectangular-shaped item, looking like an envelope, was designed with a ribbon at its opening. Well it does look like a present, he thought, but didn't mind asking for who and what it is. He felt so occupied his usual curiousity just left him all of a sudden.

"It's noona." His voice cracked.

"Oh." The older boy nodded, enlightened, though he didn't looked shocked at all.

"Aren't you going to ask who she is?" Minho asked in a mild tone.

"Well I'm betting it's Yuri you're talking about. She's basically the only girl older than you who speaks and approaches you... a lot." Jinki raised his eyebrows. "So... do you, still like her?"

This sudden question made his heartbeat race.

Oh right, a small smile appeared on his lips as memories began to dawn back at him. He remembered confessing it to his hyungs before that he liked her back then, and he'd occasionally sneak to watch her as she'd attend rehearsals for their upcoming comeback.

But then...

"I don't know anymore." He said blandly. "I'm not sure if what I'm feeling right now tells me that I love her as an older girl-friend of mine, or way beyond that." Minho smirked at himself.

"Back when I started liking her, I remembered when I used to think I stand no chance for her to even notice me. Who wouldn't? She's almost perfect. She's pretty, kind and a lot of boys are ready to fight just to get to her. She was on the same building as I am, but it seems that she's still out of my reach. I'm younger. I'm probably just a younger brother to her. And she's for sure looking for someone matured and older than her, even though people would often say that my maturity is unusual for a male to have at my age that time."

Jinki considered the thought. "But then, how about now?" He asked.

"Now?" He sniffed. "Well, I guess we've become closer than ever. And I don't feel the same distance that was separating me away from her. This would probably be the best time to confess--"

"If ever there is something to confess." The other male moved closer to him, sliding himself backward towards the wall and settled his back on it.

"Look. Minho, you just can't leave her hanging. If you're wondering why I'm saying this, it's because I know that she's waiting for something more. You know what it is."

Minho bit his lip. "Heechul hyung..."

Jinki eyed him. "Hmm, he must have told you something, didn't he? Well, just save it though." He tapped his dongsaeng's shoulder. "Just be careful, okay? Hopefully, you'd get to clear things up before it's too late. It's terrible if your fallback would end up hurting those two pretty girls, you know..."

"What?" This made him jump out of his gloomy state. "Who are you talking about?"

Jinki gave him his rare smirk. "Pabo. Stand up and cheer up! Save that for tomorrow and let your birthday past first!" He smiled. "Well, I'm kidding. I'm going first, okay?"

He turned and strode for the door.

"Oh right. Almost forgot..." Jinki halted from his steps and placed the wrapped item Minho noticed his hyung had been clutching a while back on the foot of his bed. "Happy Birthday."

"Hyung! What's this?"

"That's not from me, that's all I can say." He stuck his tongue out and left his room.

 

 

                                                                                                               *                         *                           *

 

 

The air outside was still as soon as twilight overtook the sky, and Sulli felt grateful for this. She's been longing to breathe in fresh air, and when she attempted to go out and have some time by herself outside several times before, harsh breeze would always hit her, making her return back to their dorm and stay inside for the whole day instead.

"Jinri, what's wrong with you..." She asked herself as she stared blankly at the snow-covered pavement.

She's been bothered this past week, not knowing exactly why she's been so lost in her thoughts always. And Krystal's cold behaviour towards her left an even heavier weight inside her chest.

But you aren't like this unless Minho's involved, a part of her mind told her.

Her heart contracted.

Why is he always involved? She protested.

She bit her lip.

Now Jinri, think how he can't be involved... her thought challenged her.

She shrugged.

No matter how much she struggle to figure it out, she can't deny it, nor think of any excuses for her mind not to think of it.

I've always admired him, yes, she thought to herself. Ever since we have gone close to each other. Not his beautiful face captured me, but more of his smile... his way of caring for kids... his love for his fans... and even with his passion in everything he does.

She smiled.

He even took care of my brother and saved him when his life was in danger...

This thought hit her the most.

But I've never realized I would reached this state, thinking that it's been almost four years now.

 

 

Four years of having feelings for him...

 

 

 

 

 

and I only realized it now.

She felt her eyes sting as tears began to roll down her cheeks and she hastily wiped it away.

That time... that time, when she asked if he was liking someone... it wasn't just pure curiousity...

And when he started giving hints, all she could think was her.

 

 

Always her...

 

 

Yuri.

She used to observe him before... and she knew there was something more with the way he'd stare at Yuri. The way he used to blush whenever Yuri would smile at him, wave and acknowledge him, and when she saw him dance with her several times, there would always be a dull throbbing pain inside her chest... which she continuously ignored, thinking it was just nervousness taking over her...

Nervous for him to make a mistake? She didn't know.

"But I guess it's too late. I always knew he'll never liked me. From the way he used to gaze at Yuri unnie, I knew I was nothing compared to her." She dried her tears with the back of her gloved hand.

"I bet he'll even invite her to come with him." This thought hit her as she remembered the gift she bought for him, and smiled at herself, despite the tears that was spilling out of her eyes.

"Sulli?" A familiar voice called out.

Everything seemed to stop in motion as soon as she heard him pronounce her name.

With a sigh, she dried her face again and fanned herself, before she looked over her shoulder and look at the person behind her. "O-oppa?"

He can't know I cried, she thought, panicked building up inside her chest.

"Sulli..." He repeated.

"Oppa, I'll be back. I'll just use the washroom okay? Stay here." She got to her feet and hid her face with her hair, preventing him to see her face clearly. She gave him a light squeeze on his forearm.

And in a swift movement, Minho pulled her towards him, and tightly cuddled her against his chest.

Sulli's breathe was suddenly caught in her lungs. "Minho oppa... is there... something wrong?" Confusion was clear in her tone.

"No. Nothing." His voice cracked. "Just-- can we just stay like this for a while?"

Her heart has started beating twice as fast from the normal rate, but she forced herself to reply. "O-okay..."

And for a minute they stayed like that, in each others' arms. Sulli find it hard somehow hard to breathe, but she can't waste this.

Not when it's him.

"Hey." He started, still holding onto her.

"N-neh?"

"Thank you." He muttered.

"Huh? W-what for?" She asked, her voice trembling, which was caused by her previous outburst, and her shaking emotions is not even helping her to calm down. She suppressed the lingering smile on her lips.

Slowly, Minho pulled himself from her, creating a small space between them.

"This." He then pulled something out of his pocket, and to Sulli's surprise, it was the present she asked Onew to hand to Minho instead, thinking that it would be impossible for her to have some time with him for her to hand it personally.

"Oh." She smiled at him. "No worries. Happy Birthday by the way..." She said.

"Gee... Thanks." He replied with a smile. "But you don't have to give me anything, you know..."

Sulli made a gesture to dismiss his comment. "So... have you decided who to invite?" She asked, gazing at the soccer game tickets on his hand.

He shook his head and gazed at her.

He smirked. "Ahh... Are you waiting for me to invite you?" He waved the tickets in the air. "Well, you bought two. What will I do with the other one?" He asked in a tone of someone who is playing dumb.

Her cheeks suddenly flared and she was thankful it was getting dark. "W-why would I wait for that?" She glared at him. "Your confidence, Choi Minho... Really..." She shook her head.

He continued to stare at her and smirked again.

"What? Well I bought two because I was thinking, i-it would be boring if you'd j-just watch alone. It's no fun." She explained, hoping he'd turn away his gaze at her. "You could invite Onew or Taemin oppa, or even... even Yuri unnie, you know..." The last name made a stabbing pain in her heart.

"Then... can you? Can you, have fun with me?" He blurted out all of a sudden.

"Huh?" Sulli was taken aback.

"Go with me." Minho said, his voice calm but serious. "Please?"

Is he joking? She thought to herself.

"I'm serious Sulli..." He announced, as if he knew what she was thinking. He looked down at his feet. "Well you could say no if you don't want to--"

"Okay." She said before he could finish his statement.

He raised his eyes towards her again. "Really?" He looked like an idiot who's starting to grin from ear to ear.

"I'll just compensate with the amount of the other ticket and buy something you like." Sulli said.

"Well you actually gave me a lot already. See? I have two tickets for a soccer game, and a company to have fun with." He chuckled.

"Hey... would you like to stroll off for a while?" He asked.

"Where?" She asked, baffled at his sudden inquiry.

He rolled his eyes. "Just stop asking. Don't worry, I'll keep you safe. Come with me... please?" He pouted.

Can I even resist you when you're like that? She thought to herself and she felt her heart flutter.

Just give me this night.

This night to be with him...

"Fine." She finally said.

He then took her gloved hand with his and entwined his fingers with hers, as he dragged her with him away from all their worries.

 


 

Another update! Did you like this bit of MinSul interaction? TT_TT

Please tell me what you think :"3

 

You can find me on twitter:

@triciaaami (my fangirl account)

@CIAdowhunter (my personal account)

 

Kamsamnida!