Chapter FIVE

Love, Hope & Other Wishes

chapter FIVE.

The time it takes to pick up one almost-six-year-old from kindergarden and one almost-five-year-old from preschool is only slightly schorter than the time it took modern man to put someone on the moon. After three return trips ( the first to retrieve one mitten, the second because Hyoyeon did have to go to the bathroom after all, and the third because Minseok forgot that it was his week to take home Chi the Chinchilla ), we finally manage to make it down the sidewalk and to the bus stop. We stand shivering behind the windscreen, waiting for the bus that will take us to my mom's shop. It's walkable from school on a good day, but that day isn't today. Today, the wind is biting at us, making it scary cold, especially since this is Seoul. Here, you can bake cookies in your car in summer (yes, we've tried it), and you can sometimes wear flip flops in the winter.

"Soo Rin, I'm cold," Hyoyeon says for the seventh time. I look down and her teeth are actually chattering. I give up my scarf, twisting it around her neck and tucking the ends into the collar of her coat. Minseok refuses to zip up his coat, claiming he isn't cold.

"I'm hot," he says. Minseok would argue that the sky is actually pink with yellow polka dots if you let him. Finally the bus rounds the corner and heads our way. I dig out our bus passes out of my coat pocket and shift the three backpacks I am shouldering to try and make them stop cutting into my neck. The doors open and several people spill out. I have to grab onto Minseok's hood tokeep him from knocking into everyone as they walk past. Once aboard, Minseok and Hyoyeon shoot all the way to their favourite spot at the back, leaving me to juggle the passes, the backpacks, and Chi Chi's cage.

"Only service animals are allowed on the bus," the driver says, pointing to a sign posted on the front. I think quickly. The last thing I want is to have to walk on the dozen blocks into the wind, dragging Hyoyeon and Minseok along behind me.

"This animal is being trained to retrive objects for people." The driver peers into the cage. "Small objects," I say. He looks at my face, which is already flushed. I can see he doesn't believe me. I mean, I wouldn't believe me.

"Go sit down," he says, waving his hand towards the back.

"Thank you," I say. I start making my way toward the back, where Hyoyeon and Minseok are on their knees looking out the windows. When I'm halfway up the aisle, the bus lurches forward, sending me and Chi Chi sprawling to the floor. I push myself back to standing and peer into the cage. Chi Chi looks mad but unhurt. I wish I could say the same for me. Now, in addition to the run that wouldn't quite stay shoved into my boot, my tights sport matching holes in the knees. I sigh and sink into the nearest seat. I set Chi Chi's cage on my lap. Unfortunately I figure out too late that the dampness that is slowly leaking onto my legs through the air vents in the cage is not from the water tube. When the smell hits me, I realize that the spill scared Chi Chi more than he let on. And for the record, chinchilla pee is one of the worst smells you can imagine.

My mother's shop is called Royal's Flowers. It's by far the nicest florist in Seoul, mostly because my mom is a flower freak. A floraphilic. I hold the door open for Minseok and Hyoyeon as they race into the shop. My mother raises her eyebrows at me when she sees me. Not a good sign. Minseok and Hyoyeon run to the back, looking for the snack my mother always has laid out for them. I follow, letting our backpacks fall to the floor near the big walk-in refrigerator. I set Chi Chi's cage on the floor. Once my mother finishes waiting on a woman wearing an enormous red hat that has purple feathers hanging off of it in every direction, she joins us.

"Look what the cat dragged in," she says, smiling slightly. My mother is definitely amusing. She tilts her head at me when I don't smile back. "Hard day?" I nod and lean against the wall. I feel like I've run seven marathons. "Hungry?" she asks. I nod again. I"m beyond speech at the moment, something that seems to be disturbing her. I file that away for the future. Nothing like having a little ammunition at your disposal when your parent is driving you nuts. My mother goes into the walk-in and comes out with a couple of apples and a bag of Changmin's granola. My mother seems jittery and keeps fiddling with her earrings. She's also wearing make-up. That can only mean one thing.

"What time is Yunho coming by?" I ask.

"Four," she says. The clock over the desk reads ten after.

I look at Minseok and Hyoyeon who are using their straws to blow bubbles in their milk.

"You sure he's coming?" I ask softly. Yunho is not exactly Mr Dependable.

"He said for sure this week." I bite my apple in frustration. Even though he moved out of our house over a year ago and almost directly into another woman's apartment, Mom still gets taken in by his charm. Just another example of the iness of love. Mom's cell buzzes and she pulls it from her pocket. She flips it open.

"Yunho?" I ask. She nods and reads the message. Apparently, Yunho has also realized the benefit of texting.

"He has some business to take care of," Mom says.

"This is the third week in a row he's bailed on you."

"He's just busy, Soo Rin," Mom says.

"And you're not?" She takes off her glasses and rubs the bridge of her nose. "You have to stand up to him," I say.

"You don't understand," she says. I frown at my apple. I do understand. I understand that he's just using her feelings for him to take advantage of her. "Can you take them home with you?" she asks. I nod, frowning. I had hoped to have a little peace at home, but obviously that's not going to happen. I don't say anything though. I know whatever I might say, I'll regretI sigh and start pulling my coat on again.

Mom manages to get Hyoyeon and Minseok cleaned up and out the door in about a third of the time it would have taken me."Thank you Soo Rin," my mother says, holding the door for us. I just nod, still not trusting myself to say anything.

Even though Minseok and Hyoyeon didn't mention their dad once on the walk home, it must be on their minds, because neither of them says anything at all. If there is anything worse than their constant bickering, it's this. I'm sure there's something in the big sister handbook about helping my younger brother and sister deal with life's pitfalls better than I'm doing. I just don't know what to say other than what I told Sehun. Divorce stinks.

 


 

I've just settled into the couch with my jar of peanut butter and a spoon when my cell buzzes. I look at the screen before answering. Sulli.

"Hey," I say around a mouthful of peanut butter. I pray she's feeling a little better.

"He's been cheating on me for months."

Okay. Deep breath. "How do you know this?" I ask.

"Luna overheard Yoona talking to Yuri in the locker room after gym."' There seem to be two more layers of names, but I can't keep up. HSM has to be the center of gossip universe. Really, the adminstration should make it one of our electives. She overheard Seohyun talking to Suzy."

"Wait," I say. "Which Suzy?" There are four.

"Baek Suzy."

"Oh," I say.

"Anyways, Suzy was telling Seohyun about the present Daehyun gave her for Christmas." Sulli sniffs hard again. "Christmas!" Ouch.

"Jerk," I say dutifully. I may not be familiar with the big sister handbook, but I'm a little clearer on the best friend one.

"That's not the worst part," Sulli says. "Do you know what he gave her?" I stay silent. I have no idea where this is going. "He gave her a locket." A fresh wave of sobs pours through the phone. I sigh and close my eyes. Daehyun just sealed my nomination for world's worst boyfriend. Sulli had been hinting around for months that she wanted this locket she had seen in Jump!, the secondhand store where we always shop. It even had a S engraved on it, which I guess is why it worked for Suzy too.

"He's a moron, Sulli," I say, taking a page from Taeyeon's book. "You don't need him. We are going to find you someone better," I say.

"You mean it?" Sulli asks.

"Yes," I assure. And I realize I do because my heart rate stays normal and my hands stay non-sweaty. Of course, I was totally willing to bust out a lie if I needed to. White lies are in chapter two of the best friend handbook. They are to be used sparingly and only under extreme circumstances. I'm pretty sure finding out your boyfriend of more than a year is a total jerk qualifies.

"Listen," I say. "Spend Friday night at my house." I really should ask my mom first before I invite friends to stay over, but I think I can play the jilted love sympathy card with her. "I'll call Taeyeon right now." Sulli offers a watery thank you before hanging up.  I leave a message on Taeyeon's cell, telling her about our planning meeting. I hang up just before I hear the sound of laughter followed by a big thud from upstairs. So much for dinner, I think, screwing the top back on the jar of peanut butter.

 


 

"How were they?" Mom asks, poking her head into my room.

"Good," I say. And it's the truth. For Minseok and Hyoyeon, they weren't terrible. I was able to clean most of the toothpaste in their hair before I got them to back into bed. Anything I miss will just give them that minty, freshly brushed scent.

"How are you?" she asks.

"I'm good," I say. My mother frowns and titls her head at me. "Really." If I can just squeeze another half hour out, I'm pretty sure I can finish my paper, the one I begged an extension for.

"Don't stay up too late," my mother says, pulling my door shut behind her.

I sigh and rub my eyes. Literary criticism is so confusing. It seems like everything is symbolic. Nothing is just what it is. How am I supposed to know that a gray scarf is supposed to symbolize unrequited love? I manage to pull together something that should earn me at least a B, then take out our next novel, Emma. It seems that even my Brit Lit teacher is conspiring against me in matters of the heart. I can only make it through a dozen pages before I have to admit that I'm just too tired.

I put down the novel and slide under my quilt. I think about one of the ten random questions that Minseok asked me earlier. He wanted to know if I thought the sun got lonely. I told him I hadn't really thought about it, but I imagined he did. It was the wrong answer. Minseok got pretty quiet for the rest of the night. I turn off the light beside my bed, wondering if I should have told him something else. Something a little more upbeat. But, when I think about it, I'm pretty sure the sun does get sad sometimes. He just sits up there, shining on everyone and keeping everyone rotating the way they're supposed to. But what about him? I wonder if sometimes he just looks around and says "Hey! What about me? Who's keeping the lights on for me? Who's making sure I'm not going to fall out from the sky?" I shake my head. Too much literary symbolism.

It's not until I'm almost asleep that I remember my promise to Sulli. I try to come up with a plan—anything— but I've got nothing. I'm praying that Taeyeon has at least some idea of how to find Sulli a boyfriend. I'm praying just as hard that she won't try to snag someone for me in the process. If there is one wish I have for Valentine's Day and my birthday, it's this: I'd like a little peace and quiet. A little fun maybe, and no drama.

 

 

author's note. 

Yes yes yes. I'm counting down to the last 8 hours before freaking April 9th comes and SM decides to release the video teasers. Hue Hue Hue.

 

And a little shoutout for EXO, Congratulations on passing the 2 year mark! Oh my gosh, I can't believe its been so long since I was with them since the teasers. My boys have grown up so much.>< But still, I'll stick with you till the ends of earth and you better give me some kick comeback.