3;

Dead and Gone

When Kwon Jiyong next wakes up, he finds himself in a room he's sure he's never stepped foot in before. The first surge of his headache hits him like a thousand hammers against his skull. At first it almost hurts to open up his eyes, and the sunlight reaching through almost stings at his irises. He blinks and squints and he cannot understand why the curtains aren't pulled together. The moment his eyes get slightly used to the torturous light, he looks around. Beside the bed that he's lying in, there is a closet over-flowing with clothes, and a mannequin next to a sewing machine. There are some pieces of different fabrics scattered around on the floor; and he can see a few drawings plastered on the wall - excellent drawings, as he notes, as well as the designs they depict.

But before he can observe anything else, a woman walks in with a mug of coffee in her hand. The smell reaches him and it almost revives him. She, on the other hand, jumps at the sight of him.

''Oh thank God'' she breathes out before she sits on the end of the bed, feeling almost like fainting, ''Oh thank goodness.''

He looks at her - she's put the mug down on the floor and now she has both her hands on her forehead. She's wearing sweats and a lose cardigan. Her blonde hair is loosely tied in a ponytail and she's wearing no makeup. She looks terribly tired. He doesn't really know what to say, mostly because he's not sure if he remembers everything about how he ended up here. No, actually, he's pretty sure he doesn't remember.

''How...'' he starts, his voice hoarse; and then he pauses. ''What-''

''What happened? You tell me, Mr. GD.''

''No... I mean, what happened after... you found me?''

She stops for a moment to look at him, and then she traces back events. Doing this upsets her more than she thought it would. She can feel herself getting slightly dizzy again just thinking about everything she's gone through since last night. She takes a deep breath.

''I found you bleeding and you didn't let me call help. So I did the stupidest thing ever and took you here, by cab, and I stitched your wound, probably rather poorly, but it was all I could do. You lost a lot of blood and I had to clean your wound and close it before you lose any more. You better pray I did it correctly. It'll be your fault if you get infected or something.''

''Oh'' is all he can say. Chaerin expected a ''thank you'' but then she realized how foolish of her that was. The GD doesn't say ''thank you''.

She shrugs it off and gets to checking on his condition. She touches his forehead and sees that his temperature is now lower, thankfully. She looks at his head and sees that the patches over the stitches haven't moved and no blood has come through, which meant good work. 

''I took care of your head but I'm not sure if I've overlooked any injuries in your body. Does anything hurt in particular?''

''No'' he says. All he can feel is the unimaginable headache. For a moment he wishes he was dead.

She doesn't rely on his sense of pain and gets to checking his body once again - the first time since she did it in the alley. She does the thing all over again - she touches his ribcage and his collarbones and his stomach and all she's given in return are winces of pain. If there were any internal bleeding or broken bones, he'd surely cry out.

''You're lucky'' she says.

He looks at her with curiosity. She can feel his gaze on her and it makes her feel slightly uncomfortable. He's doing it again - he's ''reading'' her; playing God. He's being his usual arrogant narcissistic self. 

''Don't do that,'' she says as she now reaches for her coffee, ''Don't think for a second you can read me like an open book.''

''I know your face. We've met.''

''We worked together once. I'm surprised you remember'' she says before she walks out of the room.

Yes, he can remember her clearly; and she's a designer just like he guessed when he first met her. He was right and now he takes a sort of pride in that fact. He loves being right, which is most of the time, according to him.

Moments later she's back with a tray carrying some delicious-smelling breakfast food. When she places it before him he can see that there's some kimchi and rice with beans and a vegetable omelette. But even though it all smells super nice, he's not sure he can eat anything without throwing it right up.

''I'm not hungry'' he says and Chaerin thinks he's behaving like a child.

''You will eat'' she says, emphasizing the right words. ''You lost a lot of blood and you need strength. Eat.''

He looks at the food and makes a face that makes Chaerin think he's about to start whining. But oddly enough he doesn't - he starts eating.

''Good. You have water on your cupboard. Call me if you need anything. And eat all of that. We'll talk when you've regained your strength. You owe me answers.''

''Just one thing'' he says, stopping her before she makes her exit.

''What?''

''My name is Jiyong.''

''I know'' she says.

''Don't... don't call me GD, alright? GD's dead. He jumped off a building.''

Chaerin gives him a confused look before making her way out.

Jiyong eats his food slowly, because of the pain in almost every single bit of his body, and he finds that it's not vomit-inducing after all. He drinks his water to quench his thirst, and it soothes him the way he didn't expect it would. The feeling of dryness in his throat is gone. After a while of fidgeting with his fingers he realizes just how he looks - he's lying in nothing but his boxers and a t-shirt he thinks either belongs or belonged to one of Chaerin's boyfriends or she bought it for the comfortableness. After a short while of boredom he falls back asleep, but this time more peacefully - he's not bleeding and his fever is not raging as much, and he's thankful, even if he doesn't say it.