10;

Dead and Gone

Some time has passed and Jiyong has barely been able to stay away from Korea. After living for a while in Sapporo, Japan, he went back to Korea, for a while at least. He felt a sense of longing he had never felt before, and it was very confusing for him. He never thought he would miss his homecountry like that or the very city of Seoul. It's a new concept for him.

He's in a familiar place again now, just trying to figure out where he should go next and where would be the perfect place for him to finally settle. He wishes he could stop thinking about Chaerin. Now that he's back in Korea, at least temporarily, he feels an even stronger longing and he feels a strong wish to see her. He knows he shouldn't, after the note and everything. Plus, he doesn't really think she wants to see him. Why would she? Who the hell is he in her life? Bloody nobody, really. They'd barely spent a few days together and that is all. It's ridiculous to even be thinking of this. She's probably forgotten about him altogether.

Changing his hair and the way he dresses seems to be enough of a disguise for Jiyong. A hat, a scarf and a pair of sunglasses, and he has no problems walking the streets of Seoul this afternoon. The sun is about to set, and he is smart enough not to risk it with main streets crowded with people. He's just going for a stroll through those not so popular streets, because he doesn't really care about that. He just needs to feel the veins of the city pumping again; he needs to breathe in its essence for perhaps the last time. His feet are carrying him by themselves.

He doesn't know what it is, but for some reason, it occurs to him that he should go see his grave. He wouldn't approach it, of course, he'd just observe from a distance. It will be evening in about 10 minutes anyways, he concludes. Yes, he's curious. Why not?

If it's good luck or bad luck or just life kicking him hard in the guts - he has no idea. But he sees Chaerin standing there. He blinks more than a few times and puts in the mental effort to see better. His mind is telling him he's imagining things, but his eyes say otherwise. She's there, right there. He is sure it's her and not just some fan - she's absolutely stunning. He muses about what life has been like for her these past few months. She looks good, really good. 

Her blond hair is longer as its dripping down her black sweater. She's lowering her body to place something at his grave, and after a few moments he realizes there is a medium-sized metal box lying next to it. He's very confused, and very surprised to see her there in the first place. What is she doing there? Hasn't she forgotten about him already? And... his grave? Really? She is one of the few who know he's alive. What does this all mean? He wants to approach her; he feels a strong wish. But he knows he can't. So he just waits for her to leave.

He waits a few moments more once she leaves, just making sure that no one else is coming. Luckily, there seems to be no one at all. It's already dark now. He needs to see what she left in that metal box.

When he steps closer he sees something written on the box. It says: ''Letters for Kwon Jiyong'' in big letters and then below there is ''A project by his loyal fans. Do not open.'' in smaller ones. He feels a strong pang in his chest and guilt beyond reason. He feels unworthy but those feelings evaporate very quickly, as a result of his burning desire to see what Chaerin left for him.

He opens the box, even though he knows he shouldn't; and he does it slowly and very carefully so as not to be seen or heard. He casts a quick glance and notices her letter right away - having been the last person to slip the letter in, it's right on top. It's a white envelope signed with nothing but a ''L. C.'' He takes it, closes the box, looks around, and walks away.

He reads the letter more than once, and he finds himself re-reading bits and pieces of it when he's sitting at home alone, not really having enything else to do. He wonders about all this. Does she really think about him, this much? But why? He wonders if this is something she will keep on doing. So he comes back every week and the same thing happens every week. 

He realizes he's staying in Korea longer than he had planned. And it's the fault of those damn letters.