1;

Dead and Gone

It's early in the morning and Chaerin walks past a newspaper stand on her way to work, as she does every day; and she doesn't pay much attention to the headlines at all. She catches a glimpse of a face she sees every day everywhere she turns - on TV, on billboards, on magazines. It's GD, of course. 

She doesn't understand why people like that man so much. In her eyes he is nothing but a boastful spoiled rich boy in a body of a grown man who often made crappy music and was worshiped for it. It is a phenomenon beyond her - what do they see in him? He is not talentless, she will give him that - he is rather intelligent and has a sense of style proved by the way he dresses, which further proves his posession of a sharp sense of aesthetics. But the use of his intelligence and sense of aesthetics is rather poor. To Chaerin, everything he makes seems mediocre at best. Why is he all over the news, charts, on every single TV channel and every piece of newspaper under the sun? The man seems a joke to her even without him opening his mouth - but when he does, oh boy, it's a different story. Everything that comes out of his mouth is a bunch of utter crap. He has the vocabulary of a pompous and he doesn't restrain himself from using it. He acts as if he were above everyone else. He was probably that boy who never got a ''no'' from his parents.

Chaerin remembers to stop for ''Vogue''. Yes, she hasn't bought the latest issue yet, she has just been so so busy with work. It's the one thing that gets her passions going, you know - the fashion magazines. She buys them all, but ''Vogue'' is her favorite for all the obvious reasons of a fashionista. When life gets hectic and she gets consumed by her work, the one thing that can bring her back to her true passions is a quick glance at the pages of her favorite fashion magazines. She doesn't hate her job - not at all actually; she enjoys being a translator and studying different languages, to a large extent. But nothing will ever substitute her biggest passion, and that is fashion. Languages were her second choice, the second best thing, and she likes that too. She will, however, forever feel a sting in her heart every time she thinks about what she could've been and what she could've done. She was never a rich kid, and studying fashion would've never ensured a job for her. This way she makes her living by doing something else, all the while keeping her hobby in her life. She creates pieces of clothing whenever she has the time and means. She loves it and it makes her happy and relaxes her. It is something she cannot afford to stop doing.

Reaching for the magazine she wanted, she could not help but notice a headline on a newspaper next to it. ''KOREA'S NUMBER 1 SUPERSTAR COMMITS SUICIDE'' it says. She blinks twice before reaching out for it; and pulling it out she can see a picture of GD. Impossible, she thinks. She looks everywhere around her, and each and every front page has similar attention-grabbing headlines. ''GD THROWS HIMSELF OFF HIS VILLA, THE NATION IS DEVASTATED'' one of them says. She gulps and feels goosebumps down her back. She never liked the man, but hearing of a suicide is never pleasant. This is terrible, terrible news. How in the world did she not hear of it? She puts the newspapers back where they were, and buys ''Vogue'' in a matter of moments. She's late to work, and she cannot ponder over this right now.

On her way to work, she remembers her one and only encounter with said superstar. She was hired to translate for him during some interviews, as he was being questioned by both english and french journalists. He didn't speak either language and Chaerin excelled in both, and she wondered if that made him feel any sort of negative emotion during that day. The man is known to think himself better than everyone else, after all. He was quite rude on several occasions during work. For one, he asked her to bring him ''coffee with creamer but no sugar in it'', and she obeyed like a fool even though that wasn't her job. He didn't even thank her when she placed the cup before him. He simply waved her off. She huffed and strutted away angrily, but he paid no heed to it. When he ordered another coffee after a few hours, she still delivered it; but this time she placed the coffee bumping it so hard against the table, it almost spilled over. He only smirked and said: ''Chaemin?''

''Chaerin'' she answered, unsure if her anger was obvious.

''Fashion designer'' he said before she could turn to leave and it took her a moment to realize his statement. She blinked twice.

''I beg your pardon?''

''You're a fashion designer'' he said.

''No... I'm a translator.''

''I don't mean your job,'' he retorted and made a face of utter annoyance, ''You design clothes. It's what you do.''

''How did you know?'' Chaerin asked reluctantly.

''I can see. You have an undeniable sense of style and I would've recognized any piece of clothing you could possibly wear in existence. Those were handmade. I can see it in the stitches, if nothing else.''

She just stared at him for a few moments with half-open, before she glanced at her skirt and the stitches on her sides. Then she looked up at him again and tilted her head. He must have thought he had her all figured out. It was outrageous. He just sat there with a smug smile thinking he could figure anyone out, because compared to him everyone was just so ordinary. What an unbelievable , she thought.

Once at work, she fills her favorite mug with coffee and gathers all the documents that she needs to translate. Placing them all on her desk, she decides to switch through the channels on the small TV she has in her office before she starts doing anything. In a few quick moments she sees that news of Korea's favorite superstar's death are on every channel. She turns the TV off and sighs. What a lost soul he was, she thinks. I truly hope he'll find peace.