Chapter 2

She is a Machine, but I Love Her
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kris

“Heather, we need to go now. We’ll be late otherwise,” I called. Heather came out from the bathroom and put on her jacket lazily. I took her hand and we made our way down to my car, got in and I drove off to the hospital where Heather would do the regular check-up to make sure that she ate the way she should, that the medication was working and then we’d have a small therapy session while waiting for the results. I didn’t have to drag Heather with me this time, which felt rather amazing since the last time I’d brought her to the doctor she’d refused.

“Morning, Heather,” the doctor greeted us. “How are you feeling today?”

“Fine,” Heather replied.                                    

“All right. Do you want Kris to wait outside or come in?” I glanced at Heather who discreetly moved her hand, taking mine in hers; it made me very happy. We went inside the doctor’s office and sat down in front of her desk. Doctor Johnson smiled at us. “So, Heather, tell me how you’re feeling. Do you feel any difference with the medication?” Doctor Johnson asked.

“There’s no difference,” Heather mumbled. “I’m still having nightmares even though I’m taking the pills every day before I go to sleep.”

“Are you eating the way you should?” Heather looked out the window.

“She hasn’t eaten a proper meal in over a week,” I interjected. The doctor nodded and made some notes in her file. I could see Heather’s glare towards me, and I understood that we’d have a fight about this later.

“All right, Heather. We’ll do some tests to check your blood count and then we’ll take some more. I’ll call in Ms Evans and she’ll talk to you some more about the medication. First I’ll take some blood from you, okay?” Even though she’d done it many times already, Heather’s fear of needles hadn’t gotten better. She reached for my hand and squeezed it hard. The doctor fixed the test and asked Heather to bring out her arm, which she did, rather reluctantly.

“Don’t be scared. I’m here, baby,” I told her. Heather’s eyes were stuck at the needle the Doctor had brought out. “Heather, don’t look at it.” I put my hand under her chin, turning her head towards me. “Concentrate on me,” I told her firmly. Heather tried to look into my eyes but I soon noticed that she’d felt the Doctor take her arm. She held my arm with her other hand and buried her face in my neck; it was obvious that she was scared. I didn’t know whether I should be happy or frustrated, because I knew this loving way of acting on Heather’s part was temporal. Heather whimpered at the slight pain in her arm when the needle went in. The moment the Doctor pulled the needle out, Heather let go of me completely and went back to sitting on the chair stiffly. The Doctor walked out to get the therapist, leaving us alone in the room. “Are you okay?” I asked.

“I’m fine. Why did you tell her I haven’t eaten? I told you I wasn’t hungry! It’s not like I have anorexia or anything. I’m depressed! It’s not the same damn thing, Kris!”

“I was only trying to help. Lying isn’t going to make the situation better, Heather. It’s important that Ms Johnson knows everything that’s going on in our home. I’m planning on telling Ms Evans that we’ve been fighting rather much as well, unless you tell her that of course, although I doubt you will,” I replied.

“Tell her that we’ve been fighting and I’ll break up with you! You cannot keep putting me in these situations! You’re not my father! You’re my boyfriend!”

“And I care about you! Besides, your father would be here telling the doctors the truth if he could. But since he can’t, I have to take his place.”

“No one asked you to do it. And you know why my father isn’t here!”

“Yes, I do! But it’s not my fault that he’s got alcohol problems!” I snapped at her. Heather glared at me and then turned away, crossing her arms over her chest. I sighed, rubbing my forehead. “I don’t understand why we’re fighting like this, we haven’t fought before.”

Heather didn’t have time to reply, because the door opened. Ms Johnson and Ms Evans entered the room, both smiling. “Hi, Heather. Nice to see you again,” Ms Evans greeted. I waited for Heather to snap at her, but instead she stayed quiet next to me. “Ms Johnson told me the medication isn’t working for you. Is it the sleeping pills or the anti-depressive ones?”

“Both. I can’t sleep and I don’t feel happier,” Heather answered.

“Okay. Did you take my advice from last time?” Ms Evans wondered. I could see Heather stiffen up, she looked a bit annoyed. I realised that I hadn’t been present the last time due to work problems, so I decided to catch up on some information.

“Uh, excuse me, Ms Evans. What was that advice?” I asked. Ms Evans turned to me with a surprised look in her eyes. What have I missed?

“Oh, Heather didn’t tell you? I told her that with an improved life, since it has come to my attention that you haven’t had in several months now, she might feel better. I’m astonished Heather hasn’t told you that. Why haven’t you told Kris that, Heather?” I rolled my eyes at my girlfriend. If I’d thought there would be a lot of fighting before, then it would now be an ‘all hell breaking loose’ moment. Heather shrugged at Ms Evans’ question. “Okay, you don’t have to tell me but it would be really good if I knew,” Ms Evans said with a smile. I held back a scoff. Yeah, it would be amazing if she knew. Though I feel it would be more amazing if I knew. Do you not agree, baby?

-

Jongin

I waited outside Mi Na’s therapy session. I felt almost excited to see if there had been any change or improved about Mi Na after this therapy session. For me, who wasn’t present during the session, it was important that it worked and Mi Na felt like it was helping her. It had gone a little over half an hour now, and everything was calm in the corridor where I sat, there weren’t that many people around. Suddenly, I noticed something on the wall in front of me; a flyer. I got up from the chair and walked up to the flyer to read what it said. It was advertisement for a forum. “Healthagain.com? A chat forum for you who have someone near that is either depressed or in some way traumatised. Huh, sounds like something for me.” I reached to grab one of the pieces of paper where the address said when suddenly the door behind me burst open and I could see Mi Na run out of the room. “Mi Na! Wait!” I ripped the piece of paper and ran after her. Mi Na made it out on the street until I managed to catch up

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter