Coffee (Ft. Xiumin of EXO)

Variety - One shot collection

Looking  down, unto my wrist watch, checking what time it might be. It's 6:50 in the morning, and ten minutes left till the shop opens.

I was still in the process of grinding the whole  coffee beans, making sure it's been chopped to small and identical sizes. After grinding, I took a handful and started to feel them between my fingers to know if it was the size that I want.

I took a glance again at my watch and let out a breath. "It's time, Chen! Open the shop! It's already seven!" I shouted directed at the back, where the storage room was located. He was probably checking if our supply are still up.

"Yes hyung, I'm coming" I heard his voice getting louder because of the proximity getting closer. "You know hyung, I don't get it why I need to be the one to open the shop when you're much more near than me."

I stopped checking the beans and glanced up, seeing Chen in his uniform, white polo shirt and brown slacks with black apron, then continuing to check the quality of the beans, ignoring Chen's statement.

"Oh that's right! It's because you want her to see you first. You sly little baozi!" Chen the troll teased causing me roll my eyes.

"Just open the door." it's true. I really do want to be the first one who will she sets her eyes on, the one to take her orders and make her favorite strawberries and cream.

Chen finally digs in his pockets, fishing out the keys and unlocking the front door, turning the sign from brewing to serving. "Stop denying Xiumin-hyung. I know what is the truth"

"Who said anything about denying?"

 


 

Hearing the bells ring with that voice makes my heart shiver. "Good morning"

"Oh. You're early like always" Chen said as he wipes the coffee table, making it shine.

I sneak a peek my wrist watch. "Good morning to you too. Chaerin-ssi" I replied, giving her my best employee smile.

Lee Chaerin. Our most earliest customer. At exactly 7:05 am, she would arrive with her cheeks so flushed, her long blonde hair flowing down her shoulder, and a big smile painted at her face.

"Yah. Kim Minseok.--" I cringe at the usage of my real name. "I thought we have agreed that we need to stop with the formalities. Being your loyal customer for 4 months, I think I can be upgraded to be your friend already" she glared,  pouting, one of her distinct characteristics she does when she's getting irritated, one of the facial expression that I just want to poke her puffed cheeks until the air comes out.

So I did.

She slap my hand away, making my hand retreat. "Yah! Oppa! Stop doing that!"

Cute

Sometimes, I think I'm a masochist. 

I playfully rubbed my hand as if it hurt like hell. "Since you've hurt me, as compensation I will drink your strawberries and cream" I went to back to the work area and added some finishing touches to the said drink. Her drink is really easy to make. It's not like I made it in advance.

I went to the counter again, where she was on the other side, to make her see the drink I made for her. I stuck the straw on the drink, teasing her, drawing the straw near my mouth, as I was going to sip the strawberry goodness.

"Noooo!!" She screamed, reaching over the counter, trying to get the drink away from me.

I laughed.

Hard.

My laughter filled the silent cafe. I was clutching my stomach. Good thing it was still early. There were no other customers except her. 

After laughing, I wiped my non-existing tears away. "That was a good laugh"

"Ha. Ha. Very funny now give it to me" Chaerin rolled her eyes.

"Ma'am yes, ma'am" I salute, holding the drink towards her. 

"Thank you" Giving me her famous eye smile, Chaerin reaches out to get her drink.

I didn't gave it away, instead I wrap my other hand on her delicate ones, making the drink tilt towards me, as I took a sip on her strawberries and cream. "Finally, an indirect kiss" I winked.

Her face became redder, She abruptly swatted my head. "Ugh. You're so unbelievable!" She  took of tissue paper lying on the side of the counter and tried to swipe my saliva off.

This time she hit me with full force. "Ah! That hurt." I rubbed my head again to ease the pain. 

She stick out her tongue."Serves you right!" She slammed her money on the counter as she stomped her way to her favorite seat which was beside the window at the corner.

I chuckled fondly. I'm definitely a masochist.

"You are so whipped" Chen teased, whispering in my ear. When did he get inside the counter? Those ninja troll skills.

I smirked."I know. I like being whipped. It's one of the reasons why I'm an M" I wiggled my eyebrows.

 


 

 

I like teasing her. A lot. It's my way of flirting, showing my affection for her in a playful way.

Sometimes I would try to drops some hints, some signs, that I like her.  

For example, there was a time that I would just go up to her and ask for what time is it even though I already have my own watches. She would tell me but I would try to get her hand and intertwined our fingers together. She'd later would see that I have my watch on and I'd reply that it was just an excuse to hold her hand. 

I'm upfront. But the thing is, she's too dense, I think or maybe she just has someone in her heart.

You'd ask me, how would I know?

How wouldn't I?

He's the reason why she's here in the first place. The coffee shop was their meeting place, their hangout. The guy Dong Youngbae who Chaerin introduced to me is the one who she is waiting for. Double meaning intended.

Yes. We both have this horrible one-sided virus, like a weird love triangle, actually more like a straight line chain since Youngbae doesn't like me. 

Speaking of the devil, look who just arrived.

"Oh! Xiumin-hyung. Looking good as always" Dong Youngbae bowed at me politely.

I rolled my eyes. "You don't have to state the obvious." 

Chaerin came to his side and slap his arm. "Youngbae! Stop lying! His head is already big"

"Yah, Lee Chaerin" I was about to pinch her cheeks when a certain troll would like to show up.

"Youngbae-ah!" Chen greeted Youngbae. They did their friendship is forever handshake.

Chen! How could you?! You betrayer! Sniff. 

I clap my hands together. "Okay. Enough of this weird reunion by the counter. The old lady on the line can't order her drink" I pointed to the old lady behind Youngbae and Chaerin.

"Hi" The old lady said out of the blue. Maybe because all of our eyes were on hers.

"Oh sorry grandmother, please" Youngbae gestured the old lady politely to go first.

The old lady swooned "Thank you, son. You're a good boy" (A/N: pun#2)

I can very much agree with her. I can't even hate the guy because he's kind.

"No problem madam" Youngbae smiled.

"Can you help me? I'm actually overwhelmed with all those drinks in the menu" The old lady asked, even doing a weird aegyo.

"Uh. I can he--" I try to offer since it's my job

The old lady tugged Youngbae's sleeve " I want him" She pouted.

Even the old lady prefers Youngbae than me. Poor Xiumin. There there. I mentally pat myself at the back.

As Youngbae help the old cougar, I took a glance at Chaerin just to find out that she was doing the same thing to him. I can feel my heart squeezing at the moment.

The biggest indication is the way Chaerin looks at Youngbae, how her eyes twinkle like she was looking at the sun (A/N: pun intended), like looking at the most priceless thing in the world. It's like looking at a mirror, reflecting how about of our loves can't be reach to the other side.

 


 

There are also days when Chaerin just comes here for relaxation. Reading her horror books in daylight while eating her favorite strawberry shortcake as the light coming from the window gives her daily dosage of vitamin D.

Those days are my favorite. Like this day. Because it means my heart gets to take a rest and I can hog her as long as I can.

Since there weren't many customers, I let Chen take over. Looking at her table, seeing her reading silently makes me want to disturb her silence.  I went to her table and sat down.

Chaerin heard me sat down. She gently put down her book and glared at me. "What do you want?"

I stood off my chair, slowly bending down towards her face. Our faces are close to each other, stopping only when I can feel her nose touch mine. Feeling her gaze makes my heart beat fast.

"You” I teasingly smiled.

I can see her eye enlarges and her face becomes red, I don't know if it's because of she's angry or she's conscious of me.

I hope it's the latter.

. Now it's my turn for my face to become red.

We were having our own precious moment when Chen intruded the sparkling atmosphere."Hey, isn't that Youngbae?" He points out the window.

Beyond the glass, there was Youngbae, looking very tired maybe because he just finished his work but even though he looked tired he was still smiling. Smiling at the girl besides him. I never saw that smile.

"Is that... his girlfriend?" Chen's voice was full of amusement.

I swiftly looked at Chaerin. From the looks of it, Chaerin knew about Youngbae's little love. Seeing her hurt pierces my heart.

"I.. I don't know. I don't think so. He--He hasn't told me anything about this. I-- I-- He's my best friend. So if that's his girlfriend he should tell me... right? " I can hear Chaerin's voice trembling. Her eyes were cloudy. Sad. Broken. Hurt.

That was the first time I wanted to punch Youngbae.

 


 

Chen and I are getting ready to close the shop. 30 minutes left before the closing time. We are cleaning the counter and was about to start to wash the dishes when she came, Chaerin came.

I'm shocked to see her. It was the first time to see her late at night, to see her so disarranged, tears were streaming down to her face, her beautiful blonde hair was all over the place.

My heart ached at the sight.

"Chaerin? Are you okay? What happened?" Chen asked worried.

Chaerin goes to the counter with a very slow pace. “Can you please give me the strongest coffee that you have?" Finishing her order with a sad smile.

 


 

I just finished boiling the hot water. Putting around 2 tablespoons of the coffee that I grinded earlier on the gold-plated filter. I placed the filter on top of a mug and poured hot water, gently swirling it around. I waited until all of the water goes down the filter.

Finished making the coffee, I went to the table were Chen and Chaerin were sitting. Chaerin's head was in a low bow while Chen was beside her, patting her back comfortingly.

I place the cup in front of her and sat on the chair that was directly proportional to her. "It's black coffee. Are you su--"

I didn't even get to finish asking her, as she drank the coffee in on go. Good thing I waited for it to cool down for the best drinking temperature before giving it to her.

"Ahhhh. So bitter" Scrunching her nose at the taste.

"Stupid. You don't like coffee. That's why you order only sweet drinks. What happened? Is it that bad enough for you to drink black coffee?"  My eyebrows knitted together, worried for her.

Chaerin mumbled something. Too silent for Chen and I to hear. I asked her repeat.

"He's got a girlfriend" Chaerin choked out.

"He? Who's he?" Chen the stupid asked.

"Y-youngbae. Youngbae has a girlfriend."  Chaerin stuttered. Her voice cracked. Maybe because she cried too much.

"Wow! That's great! Youngbae is the man" Chen merrily said, obviously proud of his friend.

"You insensitive bastard!" I smacked his head.

"Ouch! Hyung!" He exclaimed.

I looked at Chaerin again. "Is it the girl we saw last two weeks ago?"

Chaerin nods her head. She bites her lower lip to stop them from quivering. "He confessed earlier this day. The girl- the girl accepted. Well who wouldn't? It's Youngbae!! He said that he courted the girl for a month. A month already! I asked why he didn't tell me? He said that it's because they weren't official yet."

I can see her tears pooling in her eyes. I can feel her broken heart. I want to pick up the fragments of her heart and glue it back up together. I want to hug her, kiss her and tell her that I'm here. But it's still not the right time. She needs time first, support and I'm willing to give her that.

I reached out to hold both of her hands and squeezed them gently, just enough to make her calm. I gave her a gentle smile. "It's okay. You can go through this. You're a strong girl. Also I'll be here to help you in any way that I can"

I can feel her grip my hand and gave me her eye smile. "Thank you oppa"

I can feel my heart beat fast. My face flushed with red. My surroundings gets hot. I cough awkwardly, trying to get the lump out of my throat, which didn't work by the way. "Y-you're welcome"

"Wait. Chaerin is in love with Youngbae?! When? How? What?!!" Chen ruining the mood.

I, Kim Minseok, would like to reward, Kim Jongdae or Chen, the best clueless troll er award.

 


 

It's been 2 months since Youngbae and his girlfriend started dating. Chaerin was coping up really well with her heart break. I don't see her eyes red early in the morning anymore due to crying. Youngbae doesn't go too much to the coffee shop, Chaerin still comes and order but now she changed her new favorite, black coffee.

His girlfriend Hyorin was nice. She was very beautiful not beautiful as my Chaerin though. Even though they don't come often because they want their 'alone time together' Youngbae stated proudly, Hyorin became one of our coffee shop circle, more like pentagon since we are five people in it.

Today is one of the days when Youngbae also goes to the shop with his girlfriend. Chaerin was waiting for the couples to arrive, while Chen and I anticipated both of their faces to show up through the glass door any time now.

So I was shocked to find Youngbae behind the glass door without his girlfriend clinging on his arm.

 


"But Hyuuung~ I also wanted to listen to Youngbae's story." Chen whined, trying to convince me to let him leave the counter unattended.

I flicked his forehead. " Stop being unreasonable." I picked up the wooden tray containing two newly brewed black coffees and left the pouting troll behind the counter.

I went to closer to Youngbae and Chaerin's table as I hear his sad voice. " We broke up"

I stop from my steps. I was at least 3 feet away from them.

"You broke up? How?" I heard Chaerin asking him.

"We- we got into a really big misunderstanding. She got really mad and ended up dumping my . It's my entire fault. Chaerin-ah I don't know what to do" Youngbae choking up with his words.

I gripped the tray hard, as I can feel my anxiety building up. They broke up. Chaerin. Chaerin. . I let out a sigh. No, it's fine even if they end up together. As long as Chaerin is happy I'm happy. I can feel my heart clench.

Chaerin gave Youngbae a gentle smile. "You--" I can feel my heart beat accelerate "stupid whiny little "

Wait. What?

"Chaerin-ah?" Youngbae asked, voicing also my bewilderedment.

"Stop being a pansy and go to her. I don't think she meant the break up. She loves you so much. I bet she was just carried by the emotions. I can see the way she looks at you since I also look at you like that" Her gaze becoming very soft.

"Rinnie..." Youngbae looks at Chaerin, he was suprised to know her feelings for him.

"Also I'm a girl! So I know how girls feel!"

I snorted.

Chaerin glared at me.

Youngbae just stared at Chaerin, still processing on her words of wisdom.

"What are you waiting for? Go to her already and win her back! Don't make my sacrifice go to waste you idiot!" Chaerin stood up from her seat as she pulled Youngbae up.

Youngbae is standing. "Thank you Chaerin, for everything." He hugged her tightly, as my heart also tightly grips at the sight.

"Go. Go. Fighting!" Chaerin pushed Youngbae's chest softly. He smiled at her and ran off to get back the love of his love.

When Youngbae was gone, Chaerin broke down to tears. This time I was the one who  hugged her tightly in my arms. "You did great Chaerin. That's my girl." I pat her head gently.

"Goodbye Youngbae" I can hear her whisper quietly, enough for me to hear.

 


 

It was near closing time. Chaerin stayed. She said that she still want to be here. I didn't really get intro farther since I was glad I was going to be with her longer

Since it was closing time, there weren't any customers around. We were the only two people left in the store. Chen went home early because he said he has something to do. I don't know what and I don't care because finally he won't be here to Chaerin and I.

I'm sitting in front of her. I was sipping my coffee while contemplating the meaning of life while Chaerin reads her beloved horror books.

"For me, coffee is like love" I said while taking another sip of my coffee.

Chaerin puts her book down. "Why is that?"

I was about to answer but she beats me into it. "Wait! Wait let me guess! Is it because it's bittersweet? Or no! No! Wait! Is it because it makes you feel warm in the inside. But since you're a erted oppa, is it because it makes you hot and bothered???"

I chuckled because of her cuteness. "Ennng" I tried imitating the sound at the tv shows when the answer is wrong. 

"Then what is it?"

I stared directly to her eyes. I can feel her breath stopped. I brushed her blonde locks that was blocking her gorgeous face. 

"You know why? Because it reminds me of you"


y boazi on the house.