Acceleration (Ft. Myungsoo of Infinite)

Variety - One shot collection

Breathe in. Breathe out. I'm standing outside, looking at the tall building right in front of me. I think it has about 76 floors. It was built very sophisticated like. Fancy looking.

I try to gather some courage before going inside the said building. It was my first day at work. It has been 2 weeks since I got the call that I had been qualified and accepted for the job that I was applying for which was an accountant for this large food company called yum.

After I calmed down my heart, and convinced myself that I should get my inside the company, because If I keep standing outside I might get sunburned because of the hot scortching sun, or worse be late and get fired due to tardiness on the first day.

Before going through the entrance, I take one last look on the glass window and fixed my hair and gave out a tiny smile.

 

I got inside the building. It's interior is very classy and chic, as expected from a very big company.  I walked straight towards the counter.

"May I help you sir? " the receptionist asked kindly with a smile pasted on her face.

"Hi, umm  I'm Kim Myungsoo, the new accountant, where can I find the financial department? " I replied giving her a shy smile.

 

I followed the receptionist's directions and ended up at the place that I wanted to be. I went  inside and saw a guy who wore a light blue dress shirt with a black vest, topping of with a red ribbon, with black pants to finish his nerd get up. He has his hair styled too flat and has glasses that didn't complement his egg shaped face. The guy was instructing one of the people that was infront of a computer working.

I figured that he might be the boss so I approached him and lightly tapped his shoulder.

The guy turned around with a confused look but his face soon masked with remembrance and warmly smiled at me.  "Oh! You must be the new accountant Kim Myungsoo!" I nodded and rubbed the back of my neck, a habit of mine when I get shy or embarrassed.

"I'm Kwon Jiyong your new boss. Nice to meet you" he held out and offered his hands.

"Please take care of me" I asked kindly as I shook his hand and bowed respectfully.

My first day was nice. Jiyong was such a great boss. A very humble man with a kind heart. He was such a true leader, you can't help but look up to him.

 

Anyways, Jiyong said that after work they were going to have a welcoming party for me. He said it was a custom in their department  company that they would go out and have drinks to get to know each other better. Of course I agreed since my boss asked me to and I have nothing to do at home.

The welcoming party is being held at a karaoke place  near the company. I wonder why did Jiyong rented out a  large room if the financial department has only 5 people in it excluding Jiyong since his the boss. I think the rooms maximum coverage is up to 20 people.

While watching some of my co-workers singing, the door opens diverting my attention  to it. That's when I realized the reason why they'd get a big room. They invited other people from the other departments.

"Oh! It's the people from the marketing department!" My co worker and a financial specialist, Song Minho exclaimed. He was seated right beside me.

"Of course! Jiyong has to invite them! His girlfriend is in that department! " Sitting righ in front of me,  Jung Yong Hwa a senior accountant snickered.

I nodded with amusement. Wow. A nerdy guy like him has a girlfriend. I wonder who it is. I scanned the room. I saw a girl who was very cute and had nerdy glasses on, talking to Jiyong cheerfully. Aha! Maybe it's Jiyong's girlfriend.

Jiyong clapped his hands together, calling the attention of the people inside the room. "Okay. Okay. As we all know, we gathered here to know the new addition to the finance department,  our two new accountants, Kim Myungsoo and Cha Sun Woo--"

"Or Baro!" A man added.

Jiyong gave out a chuckle. "or Baro. You might wonder why I also invited the marketing department. Not just because of what Yong Hwa said--" He playfully glared at Yong Hwa. Yong Hwa replied by raising his two hands up. "--but also because we often deal work with the marketing department. The financial and marketing department are like two peas in a pod that's why I hope that the both of you, Myungsoo and Baro, would get along with them." Jiyong continued, giving out a gentle smile.

 

Jiyong then gathered all of the members of the marketing department. He said one was missing, given 'the-workaholic' by Jiyong himself. They're a slightly bigger department than us. They had 3 more people.

I learned later that the girl's name that I assumed who was Jiyong's girlfriend was Kim Taeyeon.  She was the assistant of the head of the marketing department. Jiyong and her would make cute nerdy babies.

 

I looked at my watch and I remembered that I have to do something at home. I went to where Jiyong was to say goodbye.

"But! You're only here for an hour. You haven't even met--"Jiyong reasoned trying to make me stay. "I'm so sorry Jiyong but I really need to go right now. Sorry." I apologized.

Jiyong sighed and finally letting me go. He really is such an understanding boss. I'm so lucky.

 

Once I get the green light, I rushed out. I was finally outside until I bumped into someone. A girl. A very beautiful blonde girl.

"Noo! My white blouse!" She shrieked while wiping the stain off with her napkin. . There's a big brown stain on her expensive looking white button up blouse. She was carry a now half full cup of coffee. I must have bumped into too hard.

"I'm so sorry!" I said sincerely while anxiously biting my lower lip. She stops wiping the stain which I think won't come off, and then takes a  look towards me. . Such a beauty. Those feline eyes.

"No it's okay. Don't worry about it. I know it was an accident. Plus I have a blazer in my car. I could go back and use it to cover the stain." She smiled, her two cute eyes disappearing.

I was kinda shocked. I kinda mentally prepared myself for the verbal abuse. "Still, I'm truly sorry" I apologized again, bowing with a perfect 90 degrees.

"Like I said, it's okay. Stop apologizing." She reassured me again. I can't help but blush. She's just too perfect.

"By the way, why were you in a hurry?" She asked curiously.

"Damn! I almost forgot! Thank you for reminding me!" I was about to go but then I asked "What's your name?"

She stared at first with confusion but answered anyway "Lee Chaerin".

"Lee Chaerin" I repeated. I like how it rolls down my tongue. "Okay. I'll remember that! Kim Mungsoo will definitely pay you back" I smiled, finally going.

As I go, I can't help but smile after hearing her reply "I'll be waiting Kim Myungsoo-ssi!"

 

Since today was Yonghwa-sunbae's Day off, Nichkhun something I don't forgot his last name since it's too hard to pronounce -sunbae, the other senior accountant, taught Baro and I the basics, what should we compute for and what formula should we use.

 

Since I was able to grasp it faster than Baro, Nichkhun-sunbae told me to go to the marketing department to get some files so that he could test us if we are ready to compute the taxes on our own while he repeats the techniques to Baro.

 

As I stepped inside of the marketing department, Taeyeon came to me and asked what I was doing here.

"Nichkhun-sunbae told me to go here and ask if we could borrow some receipts" I replied.

She made an O shape as a sign of understandment. "Testing your abilities?" I nodded "Well good luck! But first you have to ask the head first of course".

I just froze and stared at her.I got really uneasy. Why wouldn't I be? I'm still 2 days old and meeting someone who is way above the rank. The marketing head?  The one that I haven't met in the party last night right? Jiyong said that person was a workaholic. What if he or she didn't like me? What if I made a mistake and got fired?

I just continued my train of negative thoughts until Taeyeon lightly pat my shoulder.

"Follow me. I'll lead you there." She gave me a sincere smile.

 

I was tailing behind Taeyeon when she stopped abruptly in front of a room that was made of glass, though it was not see-through, silhouettes still can be seen.

She knocked on the glass door three times but before opening she cheered " Don't worry! She's nice".

 

With that statement, My heart started beating a little bit faster than usual. I was getting really nervous. Oh. So, she's a girl. That just made things worse than before. A woman boss is much more scarier than a man.

When the door was opened, I gathered all of my courage and let out a big sigh before going inside. Taeyeon just gave me a smile before leaving.

Once getting inside, I started wondering, amazed how her office looks like. It was very neat and well-organized. I shudder again to the thought what kind of control freak would the marketing head be.

"Oh unnie what can I help you wi- Kim Myungsoo-ssi? " A very familiar voice made me turn my head swiftly to it's owner.

My eyes widened. My heart rate increased drastically as I say the girl's name whom blouse's I ruined "Lee Chaerin-ssi?!"

 

Apparently, Lee Chaerin was the head of the marketing department. I was kinda considering to leave the financial department and be her boyfriend new subordinate but I don't know anything about marketing or advertising.

Chaerin gave me what I went here for the first place, the receipts but before I go, I asked her that we should go on a date get lunch so I can pay her back for the the blouse that I ruined last night. She pondered for a little while. Fortunately, she said yes and then we exchanged numbers.

I left with a big smile on my face.

 

Jiyong wasn't kidding when he said that she's a workaholic. Chaerin texted me that she can't make it to lunch because work came up but dinner was fine if I wanted to.

Without wasting anytime I texted 'as long as I'm with you' but since I think it was too cheesy I texted again 'since you're the one who'll I pay back, but if you don't want too...'

I wanted to face palm myself. Nice save.

I waited anxiously and heard my phone's text alert tone.


From: Blousie

Hah. Very funny. I'll definitely be picking the most expensive one in the menu. Prepare your wallet.  :)


That made me giggle like a 14 year old girl, which made Baro look at me with his eyebrow raised "Girlfriend?"

"Soon to be. I hope"

 

I was planning to go to a 5 star restaurant to treat Chaerin but she said she would feel bad since I just got a job. So instead,

 she picked a restaurant that was that far from the company.

Dinner was a nice way for getting to know each other. I got to find out things like she has a younger sister or that she can speak 5 different languages.

I also picked up some small details like how her eyes light up when we talk about her family or when we talk about work.

Because of this dinner, I came to realize that I already like her.  I don't know when it started. is it during the dinner? Or is it when I saw her for the second time at the office? Maybe when I bump it into her and saw her for the first time. But one thing is for sure, I was falling for her. Fast.

 

"I think we should go." Chaerin sighed as she looked on her wrist watch to know what time it must be. We decided to stop the formalities since we both think we are now in the friends stage even though I want to be something more.

I nodded and asked for the bill. Even though the main purpose of our dinner was to pay for the damage I caused for her clothing, Chaerin still insisted to split the bill.

When she was looking for her wallet inside her bag, I already gave my credit card to the waiter.

"You sly little- Fine! Next time we'll definitely split the cash" She said while glaring at me.

My heart stopped. "Next time?"

She nodded and innocently asked. " Yeah. Why?"

I tried to fight the smile slowly forming on my face, biting my lower lip. "Next time, I would be the one who's picking"

 

Chaerin and I did had lunch-that-had-been-made-to-dinner dates after that. Those dates made me get to know her better more. I think I had been upgraded in Chaerin's social pyramid from 'the one who ruined her clothes' to 'the one whom I had friendly lunch dates with'

I think this is the hardest part in wanting to know someone. Sometimes the 'one-who-you want-to-get-to-know' gets too comfortable around you and gets a you a free ticket to friendzoned land which is bad.

That's why I need to step up my game.

Only the sound of clicking can be heard in the room. It's going to be our deadline soon and we have 10 more files to compute. We are only half way through.

"Hey Baro, can I ask you something?" I asked to my co-trainee, while still looking at the monitor of the computer, typing.

"What is it?" Baro answered lazily, still computing for ledgers. LEDGERS MAN FREAKING LEDGERS.

"It's just-" I cough a little, clearing my throat since I'm getting a little embarrased. "-um. How-How can you make someone, see you in special one?" I still tried to focus on the taxes that I was trying to find.

The clicking of the keyboard suddenly stopped. I turned to the left to face Baro who also looked at me with sudden interest. "Trying to get out of the friendzone?" He teased, raising one of his eyebrows.

I glared at him. He let out a chuckle. "Poor Myungie."He reached out to pat my head but I swatted his hands before he touched my head. " Hmm. Try touching her? Hugging her or holding her hand? Physical contact can be a sign of affection and attraction."

The click of the keyboard became less. "Or just confess to her!" Mino the eavesdropper suddenly yelled. We looked behind to see Mino looking at us.

Another one stopped his work."Ha! I agree with Hugeboy mino here!" Yonghwa the eavesdropper number 2 who was seated beside Mino turned around to face the three of us. They both shared a very excited hive five.

"Yeah. I agree with those two idiots over there." Nichkhun suddenly appeared beside my table, sipping his coffee. "So what if your friendship breaks. As long it's not me, it's fine" he shrugged.

 

The others laughed, well except me of course. WHO WOULD LAUGH AT THEIR OWN CRACKING HEART.

Nichkhun just cleared his throat seeing I was getting uneasy. "You know, it's better to not be her friend, hurting bigtime and then moving on than staying friends, continously aching" As he gave me a friendly pat on my back.

 

"Who's the lucky girl?" Baro whispered to me secretly so that our satellite co-workers can't hear.

"Chaerin" I whispered back.

Baro's eyes became wide. He looked shock. Very shock. Is that really that bizzare for me to like someone who is so workaholic, hot-tempered, caring, kind, beau-- okay I got to stop before I make this a chaptered fic.

"You can't." Baro sternly said. "What? Why?" I asked. Confused. Why can't I like her?

"You mean, you don't know?" Baro throws me another question instead of answering me. With that statement, it made me taken back.

"Hey! Hey! No whispering! Share it with us too! " Mino whined.

Baro grabbed the collar of my suit and made me look at him directly into his eyes. "Listen here Lee ing Chaerin is---"

 

Jiyong suddenly bursts out of the door interupting Baro's important whisper. Jiyong looks very tired. His hair and clothes were very disheveled. Dark eye bugs were sitting below his eyes. Even his eyeglasses were crooked. Heh. Crooked.

"Myungsoo!" He angrily said, making me jump out of my seat.

"Yes sir! " I abruptly answered. An angry Jiyong is very much like an angry dragon. Jiyong seldom gets angry. I think it's just the stress accumulating.

"You go to Chaerin's office. Get the new files. We can't finish these without it" Jiyong said leaving the perimeter, going back to his own office, closing the door muttering bitterly about something 'being so busy' and 'not seeing his girlfriend for so long'

 

"Here" Chaerin sighed, giving me the files Jiyong wanted.

"Why the long face?" I asked worriedly. She seems so stressed. I wonder what had happen to her.

Chaerin let out a sigh again and she messes her beautiful blonde hair out of frustration. "It's just that. I don't know. Work? and recently I had a fight with-"

She looks like she's about to cry. I don't to hear her shaky voice anymore, I pulled her in for a hug. "It's okay. Don't worry. Just take a deep breathe. Don't think too much for a moment." I said, as I pat her back.

She stayed for a moment in my arms, I think she's trying to do what I said, as I remembered what Baro said to me.

"Hmm. Try touching her? Physical contact can be a sign of affection and attraction."

My heart started beating erratically. I felt Chaerin's head rise up, so I look down to meet her sight.

"Thank you, that made me feel a lot better." She smiled sincerely, making her two eyes appear as two crescent moons, shooting two love arrow straight to my heart. I felt the blood rush into my face. Well that back fired.

 

 

I'm now outside of my boss Jiyong's apartment.  I am here to pass my finished part of the project and also I wanted to ask him about my love problem since he's the most 'experienced'.

I ring the door bell that was beside the black door. It opens and I was greeted by a shirtless Jiyong who has his boxer briefs on with matching bed hair.

"Oh! Myungsoo! Did you came by to give me your portion?" Jiyong said, yawning at the end of his sentence. I nodded.

"You do know you can pass it through mail" Jiyong said suspiciously, as he raised his eyebrow.

"I kinda want to ask your advice on something" I admitted.

 Jiyong hummed in understanding. " I see, come on in" as he held the door open for me to get in.

 

Jiyong led me into his living room and then left me because he said he was going to get us something to drink.

I sat down on his black sofa. Looking around, I notice how sophisticated his things were, remembering even how geeky he was, he was still my boss.

Speaking of how Jiyong looked right now, it is way better with his everyday normal look. I wonder why hide his good looks. It suddenly clicked in my mind. Wow. Taeyeon must be the possessive kind.

Still looking around, I noticed his place was messy. I wondered why since Jiyong was a neat freak. His clothes was- wait. IS THAT A SKIRT ON TOP OF A LAMP?! I looked down the floor and saw a familiar white blouse.

My heart started speeding up.

"Myungsoo?" I heard my name called using that sweet familiar voice.

Crack.

My heart stopped. I turned to see Lee Chaerin, wearing only a T-shirt whose I suppose is Jiyong's.

"What are you doing here?" Her voice filled with confusion. I think I want to cry. Can I runaway.

I see Jiyong walking toward Chaerin, smiling towards her and kissing her temples. "Good morning, Hunchae"

She replied by giving a peck on his lips. "Good morning my Jingyo"

Crack.

"Oh! I haven't really officially introduced you to each other since Myungie right here left the party earlier" Jiyong said as he wraps her arms around Chaerin. "And I know you too know each other, more like really good friends actually with all those lunch dates Chaerin been telling me."

Crack.

A lump has been forming around my throat, as I tried to gulp it down. The sweat glands on my hands have been activated. , I don't think I can handle this.

"Myungsoo, my soon to be junior accountant, to officially meet the head of the marketing department, Lee Chaerin, my girlfriend"

 

Did you  hear that ?

 

 

 

Yes

 

 

 

That's the sound of my heart BREAKING.

 


Omg. I'm so sorry Myungsoo

ChaeSoo? MyungRin?