Chapter Two

Daydreamer

It had been two weeks. Two solid weeks that Jaejoong didn’t appear at the café. Neither did Hye Sun. Yeonhee had even stayed longer than usual the first few days just to see if he would come in.

Jaejoong and Hye Sun didn’t come in, but Taemin eventually came back. Right after day one.

Yeonhee had sat slightly closer that day, to have a better look at who was coming through the door. Then, she heard the familiar sound of a backpack slapping against someone’s thigh. She had already pushed her laptop aside, ready.

“I’m sorry,” he said, sitting down across from her like he always did. But today, only the ghost of his smile was left.

Yeonhee leaned forward, speaking slowly so that he would understand the meaning of her words. “I love you. But it’s only a family type of love. My heart belongs to someone else. You can still come and talk to me every day, but I want you to see other people.”

“Really?” he asked, the sparkling in his eyes now returning. Yeonhee gave a slow nod. “That’s great! Because I have so much to tell you…”

 

But because today was a rainy day, she was behind schedule by almost forty-five minutes.

Stumbling towards the café, she saw that Jaejoong was sitting on the bench in front of the café. Her heart instantly fluttered at the sighting of him after two long weeks. But then the realization came. Jaejoong was sitting there in the pouring rain, soaking wet while only wearing a thin sweater. Without Hye Sun.

Slowly approaching him, she felt like a teenager that just received two-thousand dollars. What was she going to say, she thought to herself.

When she sat down on the small loveseat, he didn’t even flinch. He just sat, smelling like rained down cologne. His black hair was pressed against his forehead and drops of water stained his face. She hadn’t been able to tell he was crying. But the red rims around his eyes made it obvious.

“You should go inside before you get sick,” she said calmly, staring straight ahead.

“Do you think that I’m oblivious to your actions?” he asked, turning his large black eyes on her. They were beautiful. It’s like they gave the entire world’s attention. It was flattering, but made her feel pressured.

“W-What are you talking about?” her voice accidentally cracking. Dammit, she thought. His powerful gaze caused her to let down her guard.

“Do you think that I don’t see you in the café every day?” he asked, his gaze unmoved. He was beginning to get angry.

She ran her fingers through her now soaked black hair. “I don’t come for your benefit.”

“Don’t be stupid,” he shot back. “I can see you peering over your computer like some crazy fan girl.”

“I’m not crazy,” Yeonhee said, looking down. This conversation wasn’t going the way she had planned. She assumed he was a nice person.

“Really. Then what are you?” he asked, sarcasm pushed over the edge.

“Lee Yeon Hee,” she replied strongly. The only thing she was able to say with an attitude. “I’m a Psychology major.”

“So it’s part of your major to watch people for a living,” he said, acting as if he understood.

“I don’t watch you all the time,” she said quietly. “It’s only because I love you.”

“I knew it,” he said, rising. “You’re just like everyone else.”

“Why did you break up with Hye Sun?” she asked, looking up at the back of his head. It was obvious that they had stopped seeing each other. And Boa mentioned it yesterday.

His back stiffened at the name. Slowly turning around, he looked deep into her eyes. “We were never together.”

“Don’t lie to me,” Yeonhee knew she was being mean and harsh. But that’s how he approached her. Two can play at that game.

“How is that lying? You don’t even know me,” he spat back.

“I don’t know you?” Yeonhee repeated, incredulous as she stood up as well. “Okay fine, I don’t know you. But here’s a word of advice. Don’t take your anger out at someone that did nothing wrong.”

“Whatever,” he said, beginning to walk off. But Yeonhee caught his hand, which sent electricity throughout her body. He must have felt it too because he flinched away.

“Here’s my card.” All aspiring Psychologists carried business information in their pocket, hoping for a client. But this wasn’t the case. “Just in case you want to talk.”

He held the card between his hands for a few seconds before shoving it in his pocket and walking away.

“Noona!” Taemin shouted, running to give me a hug. The moment his arms circled around her was when she realized she had been crying.

And it was still pouring rain.