Chapter One

Daydreamer

Star Café. She had been coming to this nook for a little over a month now. At first, it was to get peace and quiet while working on essays. But now, it was specific people that kept bringing her back.

Kim Jaejoong. Almost everyone in town knew this young man because of his connections. His father is the mayor while his mother works as a public speaker. Girls practically followed him wherever he went. From his Audi to his apartment, they demanded to know everything about the handsome creature.

However, these things weren’t the reason Yeonhee continued to come back to the café. It was simply because of his character. Yes, his perfect jawline, black locks of hair, and muscular arms were very attractive, but it wasn’t what she fell for.

Goo Hye Sun was two years older than him. But he loved her with all of the love he had to spare, and even displayed it in public. Ever since Yeonhee had begun coming to this café, she had never seen Jaejoong come without her. He never failed to hold her hand, or look into her eyes while talking. He always seemed so happy when he was with her, with his animated conversations.

While she sat in the very back corner, hiding behind her laptop.

“Noona, who are you looking at?” Taemin asked, blurring her gaze at the couple. She blinked a few times before looking at the junior. Jaejoong had Hye Sun while I had Taemin. It’s not that he wasn’t attractive. It just so happened there was a five year age difference between them and he was in love with her.

Lee Taemin had his first encounter with Yeonhee at the market a few blocks down from her apartment. While Yeonhee was checking out the noodles her mother had wanted her to purchase, the bag busted open. Taemin had helped her at that moment, and a few weeks later discovered her hideout at Star café. So now he can’t seem to leave her alone.

Yeonhee ran her fingers through her hair, sighing. It had been so hard to talk to him lately. He came every day with his backpack as soon as school was over, with a 3D story to tell. These past few days, he had really expressed his liking towards her. ‘Your black hair looks so pretty today’ and ‘You’re perfect’ were a few of his personal favorites.

“Hi Taemin,” she finally greeted, pushing her laptop aside. Although her full attention was directed at Taemin, her eyes couldn’t help but waver past to the bar stools behind him that were occupied by two passionate lovers. At this point, Jaejoong’s toned arm was s around Hye Sun’s waist as they casually chatted while drinking beer. “You don’t have any homework?”

“I do..” he drifted off, looking at the neglected backpack sitting beside him. “But I have something I want to tell you.”

Yeonhee couldn’t stand the way his onyx eyes glinted with such passion, such hope that she would return the same feelings. Taemin came to her every day and told every secret he held in like she was his hero. He always looked so happy to see her, even on his bad days. Yeonhee didn’t want to reject such a happy, childish face. But she had to. She was too old. And he was just wasting his time.

“So what happened at school today?” She asked, looking anywhere just to avoid his gaze. It was going to come soon.

“I love you noona,” Taemin blurted before covering his mouth, ashamed.

Yeonhee breathed deeply for a few moments, composing herself. Opening to say something, but shuttting it just as quickly. But then, she found precisely what to say.

“Thank you, Taemin,” she started. “I’m grateful that you feel that way towards me. But at the same time…it worries me.”

“Are you afraid of what people would think?” he questioned, bringing his voice down.

Shaking her head she replied, “No. It’s just that there’s too many differences between us. And we have the same last name.”

“Noona, we can work everything out,” he quickly said, almost in a pleading tone.

“No,” Yeonhee said, a little more harsh than intended. “I’m not ready for a relationship like this.”

“Only because there’s a five year age difference,” he mumbled to himself as he sat back, folding his arms across his chest.

“Taemin, you have to understand,” Yeon Hee said, her voice slightly raised. “It doesn’t matter what the circumstances are. I still would not date you. You always say that you want me to be happy. I won’t be happy anymore if we start a relationship. Understand?”

“Yes, I understand,” he said, not meeting her as he put on his backpack. “I’ll talk to you soon,” he added before taking off.

Yeonhee’s hand came in contact with her forehead as she sighed in frustration. Once she opened her eyes, she noticed two things.

Both Jaejoong and Hye Sun were staring at her. And this was the first time Jaejoong has ever laid eyes on her.