Love Someone Like You’re Eighty & Never Stop.

Love Stages.

Tucked up in bed nicely, Luhan is laughing as he flips his ‘Wedding Book’. Sehun enters their room at that exact moment and smiles warmly at his husband.

“What’s so funny?” the old man asks, slowly making his way to their bed and then sits on the edge. Sehun tries to smile; Luhan has been on their bed for weeks now and Sehun knows he has to be strong for Luhan.

Luhan looks up with a cheeky smile. Ah, that smile, 74 years and Sehun is still not tired of seeing that smile. “It’s our first picture, Sehun-ah, look!” Luhan turns the book around, his hands shaking a little, and points at what he’s talking about. Sehun looks at it and nods. He remembers. His mother took that picture. “You were so adorable! Look at that tiny hands and feet!”

Sehun chuckles. “You always tease me about my height.”

“And look at you now,” Luhan smiles and reaches out to tap below Sehun’s chin. “The tallest grandpa in the neighborhood, how do you feel?”

“Like a giant.” They both laugh and Luhan starts coughing after a few seconds, making Sehun more worried. “Hey…” he reaches out to touch Luhan’s face but the smaller man manages to grab Sehun’s hand.

Luhan shakes his head and he guides Sehun’s hand to his chest slowly. “I’m fine. We’re 80, Sehun-ah, we—“

“I love you,” Sehun cuts Luhan and Luhan stares at him, slightly taken aback but the sudden confession. “I will never stop loving you.”

Luhan smiles that smile Sehun loves the most; the smile that’s only for Sehun. “I love you too,” Luhan tells Sehun and cups his wrinkled cheek, caressing his face softly. “Forever,” he says in a soft whisper. “Forever.”

Sehun smiles, a smile that doesn’t reach his eyes, hot tears sliding down his cheek.

 

 

 

 

Sehun stands behind a lectern. All eyes are on him when he clears his throat into the microphone, bending down slightly due to his height. “I had my eulogy written on a piece of paper but my great grandson ate it.” There are laughter and Sehun smiles dumbly to himself, dropping his head a little, clutching onto the sides. “You might think I need it,” Sehun says weakly, “my memory is deteriorating ever since—“ he stops himself, ignoring the worried look from his daughter, Hana. “But even if I forget the whole world, I will never forget my Luhan.”

Sehun lifts his head and he first catches sight of Chanyeol hugging Hana tightly. She’s trembling from holding her tears back and Sehun suddenly feel like he can’t hold it in any longer.

“Luhan is—“ he chokes and Hana bursts out crying, hiding her face into Chanyeol’s chest. The old man sniffs and continues, “Luhan is a great husband, a great father, a great grandfather—he’s just a great person. I’m sure everyone will agree to that.” Some nod and Sehun tries not to get affected by Hana’s soft cries. Baekhyun blows his nose into a tissue very loudly. “When Luhan was announced dead, I felt like God didn’t give me the chance to love Luhan longer and then I realized, you don’t need someone to be next to you in order to love them. When we were 12, he was away in another country yet I still loved him. When we were 16, he was busy with all those dumb activities after school while I was waiting for him at home yet I still loved him. When we were 30, he was working his off and I had to take care of Hana alone most of the time yet, I. Still. Loved. Him.”

Sehun sighs and bows his head. There is silence and Sehun takes a moment to breathe deeply. “I will never stop loving him. I have no talent, I at sweet-talking and I whine all the time but the only thing I’m good at, at least I think so, is loving Luhan.” He looks up with a small smile. “No one can beat me at that.”

 

 

 

 

Some thinks Sehun will not live long after Luhan’s death. They might be right but that’s just because for most days, Sehun sits on his old armchair, the one he bought with Luhan when they first moved in together, and stares out the window. He doesn’t talk, just stares and occasionally, a tear or two will slide down his dry cheek. No one talks to him because they’re afraid to. Sometimes, they try but Sehun just doesn’t reply.

“Grandfather,” his granddaughter calls softly, her voice is so sweet it reminds Sehun of Luhan. This time, he smiles slightly and upon seeing that, Wendy smiles as well. “Lets play a game.”

Sehun blinks, his smile still plastered across his face. “Game?” he says weakly.

Normally, others will be surprised since Sehun actually answers but not Wendy. It seems like she’s the only one Sehun ever responds to.

Wendy nods. “It’s called—“

“Boy.”

Wendy pouts. “Grandfather! You’re no fun!”

Sehun chuckles but he stops before he goes into a coughing fit. “And I think…” he pauses, tapping his fingers against the old leather of his armchair, “Luhan is a nice name.”

Wendy laughs. “Grandfather, I’ve already named my first son after Ye ye. If I name all my sons ‘Luhan’, we’re going to have a problem.”

“Honey, call him honey.”

Wendy burst out laughing and Sehun laughs along, but softly. “Or baby?” Wendy suggests, recalling the names Sehun used to call Luhan. Sehun gives her a thumbs up. “Alright,” Wendy pats the armchair twice before walking away to grab Sehun’s cane. “You know what day is today?”

Sehun nods, staring out the window again. “I will never forget.”

 

 

 

 

The path to Luhan’s grave is not easy, it’s a long way and for an old man like Sehun, it’s probably a nightmare. Hana wanted it to be somewhere else but Sehun insisted to have Luhan buried on top of the hill, where you can see the sunrise and sunset. It’s a beautiful place with a magnificent view. And Sehun thinks that a beautiful person like Luhan deserves all the beauty this place has to give.

By the time they reach the top, Wendy is already panting, one hand clutching onto Sehun so he won’t fall and another holding her back. Sehun is tired but he smiles brighter than ever when his eyes land on Luhan’s grave.

Wendy helps Sehun settle down and places the picnic basket on the concrete ground. “I’ll be leaving now so take care, alright?”

Sehun nods, looking at Luhan’s picture instead of his granddaughter. When Wendy is about to turn around, Sehun speaks suddenly. “Can we have more time together today?”

Wendy smiles. “Sure. I’ll pick you up at 5 then?”

“That’ll be great,” Sehun replies as he caresses the marble side of Luhan’s grave.

Wendy walks away in silence and Sehun continues to examine the structure in front of him. Then, he looks away and grabs the picnic basket.

“I have a lot to tell you,” he speaks many words when he’s alone with Luhan, “well, both good and bad,” Sehun says as he flips the lid of the basket open.

As if he hears Luhan asking him to continue, Sehun nods. “Lets begin with the good news? You always choose to hear about the good news first. Well, our granddaughter, Wendy, she’s having her fourth child. A boy and I have a feeling he’s going to be a beautiful one.” Sehun takes out a few plastic containers, all containing food prepared by their daughter, Hana. “But then again, all her children are beautiful, don’t you think?”

Sehun waits for a reply as he takes out two wine glasses. “I’m not being biased! I love all our grandchildren,” Sehun huffs suddenly, putting the wine glasses down, careful enough to not break them. “Wendy is just… the sweetest, that’s all.”

Sehun peeks inside the picnic basket and grins before looking back up at the picture of Luhan on his grave. “Guess what? I brought something,” Sehun chuckles and puts his hand into the basket but never pulling out to add suspense. Sehun is being playful and he knows Luhan hates that. “Ta-dah!” he exclaims suddenly and starts coughing soon after. He puts the wine bottle down and pats his chest. Then, he laughs at himself. “You’re getting old, Sehun-ah. But I’m still romantic, aren’t I?”

After pouring some wine into his glass and Luhan’s, Sehun opens all the containers and even set a bowl with a pair of chopstick right next to him.

“Remember our first picnic date? The one where I blindfolded you and made you trip many times because I was too nervous and didn’t notice the roots peeking from the ground?” Sehun asks, picking up his chopsticks. “You said it was romantic, the entire idea, but I knew you were just being nice.” Sehun nods and grabs a piece of meat. “And I forgot to bring the picnic basket so I blamed myself for being dumb and forgetful but you told me it was okay. You always tell me everything is okay, everything will be fine, as long as we’re together. Do you remember, Luhan?”

Sehun smiles sadly, looking down at that piece of meat. “We’re still together, right? You never left me… right?”

Tears begin to form and Sehun quickly wipes them away before Luhan sees them. “Of course, you didn’t. You’re just waiting for me, aren’t you?” Sehun chuckles and shoves the meat into his mouth. He chews slowly. “I can already imagine our beautiful house in the future, not too big and it has a pond. We can have a dog too if you want. Name him fluffy, what do you think?” Sehun asks and turns to his right, looking at Luhan’s picture again. Luhan is smiling back and he looks very young in that picture.

“I don’t get why you want a picture of you when you’re 20 to be displayed, you look just as fine when you’re 80. Beautiful.”

Sehun looks away and takes another piece of meat. “Oh, right, good news!” Sehun recalls suddenly, tapping the tip of the chopsticks against his bowl. “Our other granddaughter, Irene, you remember her, don’t you? She graduated yesterday and I was there to see her in her cap and gown. We took a family photo and I really did try to smile, ya know? Guess my facial muscles failed me.”

"Also!" Sehun snaps his fingers. "Your Wedding Book is with Jessica right now. She's probably drawing her 3rd husband."

Sehun sits in silence for the next few minutes and after the 5th piece of meat, he swallows hard and sets his bowl down. “Right, bad news. Well, Chanyeol found out—we found out about him having cancer. But he should be doing fine, he’s a tough guy, that one. I mean, if he survived me back then, he should be fine with this petty problem, right?” Sehun laughs. It slowly comes to a bitter stop. “Right. He’ll be fine. You’ll protect him, won’t you?”

“Our great grandson,” Sehun moves on, “Henry, he… broke up with his girlfriend of 5 years. Found out that she’s pregnant with another man’s child. I was so mad. How could anyone treat love so lightly, right?” Sehun looks over to Luhan’s grave with glassy eyes. “They were a lovely couple, they—“ Sehun sighs, “I don’t know Luhan. I’d never do that to you.”

He sits quietly for a few seconds before saying, “Well, I mean, I won’t get another girl pregnant, not me getting pregnant and breaking your heart, you know?” Sehun stares at Luhan’s picture and he frowns. “Stop laughing at me, I’m just worried that you’ll get the wrong idea.”

“But you’re right, if anyone’s getting pregnant in this relationship, it’s you.” Sehun laughs and stops instantly when he feels Luhan glaring at him.

Sehun clears his throat. “Krystal had a break up too. Her 8th boyfriend, I heard. Unlike Henry’s case, since his partner is a girl, I couldn’t do anything. Since Krystal’s partner is a guy, I beat the out of that fella,” Sehun growls, holding his fist up but he soon deflates and sighs before rolling his eyes. “Fine, babe, I didn’t beat him up. But you know I would,” Sehun says and even when he knows Luhan isn’t there, he can imagine Luhan giggling. “At least I threw my cane at him? That will show him something. Do not mess with my family. Yeah?”

There is a long pause. “What’s with young people and love nowadays? They don’t cherish each other anymore, they go on dates for fun, they sleep around. We were serious about our relationship but we had fun too, right?” Sehun waits for Luhan’s reply and then, he nods. “Right. You’re right, we are special.”

Sehun turns to his right and smiles. “You’re always right, Luhan.”

Looking away, Sehun then picks up the wine glass, placing one in front of Luhan and holds one up for himself. “Here’s to our 60th anniversary! These 5 years have been lonely without you but I’ll do fine. You told me once that I’m a strong man, right?” Sehun nods to himself again. “Cheers,” Sehun clinks his glass with Luhan’s and takes a sip of the wine.

Sehun stays by Luhan’s side for a few more hours, almost emptying the wine bottle. He lies against the marble surface, staring and smiling at the beautiful sky.

“The sun is about to set, Luhan-ah,” he blinks weakly, not able to look away from the lavender sky with orange glow. “I wish you’re here to hold my hand.”

Sehun curls his fingers in and notices how cold his hand is.

“Soon,” he says, blinking once. “Soon,” he repeats.

As the sun begins to set, Sehun smirks, his eyes threatening to close. “I love you, Luhan.”

When the sun disappears, Sehun’s vision goes dark as well, his lids fluttering close.

Maybe it’s just Sehun but he hears a soft whisper and he knows the voice too well. “I love you too, Sehun.”

 

 

 

Ye ye or 爷爷 means grandfather in Chinese. Well, on your dad’s side.

You can choose to believe Sehun has gone crazy but I’d love to think that Luhan is still by Sehun’s side. Whichever way, I’ll leave that to you.

Some of you might want it a little longer, I personally like it the way it is. I want to keep the last chapter simple, and believe me, I had a hard time writing. I don't know how many times I stopped writing just to curl up in bed and cry before watching Jessica-Krystal's show and then getting my back to finish this. I hate writing.... bittersweet moments, or angst but... this is life... we can't expect everything to be beautiful and happy and you know, those fluffy endings.

Also, I enjoyed writing this fanfic, it's something new. I think this is way better than my other parents!selu drabbles collection (also known as Parenting Guide by Oh Sehun now). Anyways, I'll be working on my other fic, link here

Thanks for all the support (comments, tips, likes, upvote, messages). I love ya'll and I'll end here so I can go click the dumb 'resend confirmation email' on EXO L's website. Bye!