Exhausted

Fathom These Constellations

"You have a therapy session today." Sunggyu reminded Myungsoo and he rolled around in bed. He heard Sunggyu's footsteps grow faint downstairs. He rolled out of bed and landed on the floor. Myungsoo stared at the ceiling and thought of how nice it would be to have a friend who would call him every day and night to ask about whereabouts and how he was living. Unfortunately, he knew that wouldn't happen soon.

He got up and picked out a random outfit and threw it on his bed. After he quickly dressed, he picked up his backpack and ran downstairs.

"Eat before you leave." Sunggyu was standing in the kitchen, frying eggs for breakfast. Myungsoo gave him a small smile.

"No thanks. It's not like I'm going to take a hike." Myungsoo said. Sunggyu looked confused for a moment.

"Breakfast is important. Your therapist told me that you never eat breakfast every time you have an appointment." Sunggyu place the egg on a plate. He set the plate on the table in front of Myungsoo, who just stared at it.

He remembered when his mother made him breakfast. It was the same every morning. He never got bored of it, but he had forgotten how it tasted. Myungsoo blinked before he wakled out the door, with out breakfast.

He checked his watch on his wrist, to find that his appointment was in five minutes and that he should hurry. Then again, there were a lot of things he should do...

 

"You're late." Mrs.Jihyun said as Myungsoo jumped onto her couch.

"Aren't I always..." Myungsoo mumbled as he let his eyes shut. Mrs.Jihyun seemed to be cooking something. Anyone could smell it miles away and be drooling, and that was exactly what Myungsoo did. Drool. She placed the plate of food next to Myungsoo, on the mini kitchen table.

While Myungsoo devoured his food ravenously, Mrs.Jihyun pulled out a chair and sat, facing him.

"I'm fine." Myungsoo said through a mouth full of food, without looking up at her. He didn't want her to keep talking, wasting her time on him. All the time in the world invested on him would do her no good. He would never be healed.

"You're still hurting." He heard her say. She seem to have hesistated those words. He wasn't surprised. He knew she didn't want to sound like she was pitying him but trying to be a cool person about it.

"Living is exhausting." Myungsoo was staring at his food and immediately lost his appetite. He placed the plate back on the table. He sat in silence with Mrs.Jihyun. She was a kind-hearted person.  He would never want to hurt her. She treated him like a son, but he could never see her as a mother.

"Do you need help on homework?" She quickly changed the subject. He gave her a little nod and ped his backpack. His hand fumbled with it for a bit and it dropped on the floor, with all its contents spilling out of it. He quickly kneeled down to clean it up. Mrs.Jihyun kneeled down next to him.

Suddenly, they both picked up the same item. A book.

"You read this book?" She asked him, smiling. She flipped through the pages.

"Not yet. Teacher gave it to me." Myungsoo briefly thought of how his teacher placed it on his desk the day before.

"Scattering the Stars..." Mrs.Jihyun mumbled the title. "I've read this when I was younger. Strange book." She gave him a smile. She had just given him the urge to open that book and start reading when he got home.

And that's what he did.