Home

Fathom These Constellations

Myungsoo was flat on his back. His mattress made being at home feel almost...right. That was saying something, considering Myungsoo hated being in this filthy house. It was full of memories and death. The smell of Sunggyu's food didn't help either. 

He shut his eyes and thought of Mrs.Jihyun. He didn't know why she would randomly pop into his head sometimes. Maybe it was because of how mesmerizing her eyes were. They were dark brown; nothing special, but every time he spoke to her, he felt the need to just hold her and stare into her eyes. Maybe it was her hands; how she delicately held everything. It made Myungsoo wonder how it would feel to have her wrap her arms around him. Or maybe it was her lips. How she softly enunciate every word. Myungsoo just wanted to trace her lips with his fingers and softly place his lips on hers. It was a crazy thought but he couldn't stop thinking about it.

His fantasies were suddenly interrupted when the sound of the doorbell rang through the house. He looked at the copy of 'Scattering the Stars' in his hand. He had started reading right when he got home...because of Mrs.Jihyun. He walked over to his desk and placed the book down. He jogged downstairs and approached the front door. 

He was hesitant on opening the door. This wasn't the first time. He remembered when he opened the door last year. There were police officers standing there. They told him they had found his brother. Myungsoo was lost. He didn't have a brother, but the police officers brought the man in the house. They told Myungsoo to take care of him and left. The man stated his name; Sunggyu.

All hesistations and such thoughts disappeared when Myungsoo twisted the knob and the door flung open. Myungsoo felt a hitch in his breath. In situations like this, he didn't know what to say; he didn't want to say anything. It was one of those moments where he just wanted to savour everything.

There, standing right in front of him, was the prettiest girl Myungsoo's ever seen. She was shorter than him by a couple of inches, with her light brown hair stopping at her chest. Her eyes were the shade of beautiful. And he didn't mean that in the cheesiest way. Her eyes were beautiful. He could tell they were normally almond-shaped but when she smiled like how she was at that moment, her eyes were like the waxing crescent moon.

He looked down at her hands. They were holding onto a bag of cookies. The scent quickly filled his nostrils and he suddenly remembered that he hadn't eat anything since a couple of hours ago, at Mrs.Jihyun's house.

"Who are you?" Right when Myungsoo asked that, he wanted to punch himself in the face. Had he just really said the stupidest thing ever to her? 

"Your new neighbor." She was still smiling and he wondered if her cheeks were sore yet. Aside from that, he didn't even know he had a new neighbor. Just like he didn't know Sunggyu was his brother.

"Here." She stuck her arms out to offer him the bag of cookies. Now, Myungsoo didn't know much about greeting new neighbors but wasn't he the one that should be giving her the cookies?

He grabbed the bag and gave her a slight nod. "Thank you." What was he doing? Acting like a fool in front of this stranger. 

"Sorry." Myungsoo was afraid that she wouldn't know what he was apologizing for. He just wanted her to know that he didn't mean to act so uncomfortable.

"You're weird." She gave a slight laugh. "And I'm Suzy."

Myungsoo shut his eyes and  slowly exhaled. She sounded just like home.