Wanderer

Fathom These Constellations

"Kim Myungsoo." Myungsoo quickly shot his eyes up at the teacher. "What did I just ask?" She tapped her foot on the ground, expecting an answer. Myungsoo ruffled his hair and sighed.

"See me after class, Mr.Kim." With that, she continued her lesson.

Myungsoo stared outside the window for the remaining class time. He could see the playground of the elementary across the street. Even though he couldn't hear them, he knew the kids were all laughing and having fun. They all had friends to eat lunch with, play with, and laugh with. It was hard to believe that Myungsoo was in that parallel universe to those kindergarteners just years ago. 

He was happy, content, and pleased with his life. The change was so sudden that he didn't know what to do or how to act. He just broke down. Myungsoo never forgot how she died. He never forgot how broken and empty he felt. In fact, he felt more alone now than ever.

The bell rang soon enough and Myungsoo was still glued to his seat. His mind was still rummaging through the past and it made him simply exhausted. He let out a long sigh that made the teacher stare at him.

"Myungsoo." She took her glasses off and set it on her desk. "It's been a while since it happened."

Myungsoo slowly nodded, "I still haven't forgotten." He shut his eyes and tried to block out everything that entered his mind. Myungsoo sat in silence, along with his teacher, for about five minutes until he heard something drop in front of him. He opened his eyes again to see that she had placed a book on his desk. He looked up at her.

"I enjoyed this book when I was younger. I hope that it will get you out of your misery station, too." She gave Myungsoo a small smile and sat down behind her desk. He shoved the book in his backpack, slung his pack over his shoulder, and walked out of the classroom.

It wasn't until Myungsoo returned home that he heard another voice directed at him. He dropped his backpack on his bed and saw Sunggyu leaning against his door frame. Myungsoo never knew what to say when Sunggyu was just staring at him like that. It just made him feel small, and that he wasn't worthy of speaking to Sunggyu.

"You're home." Sunggyu said, barely audible.

"Apparently." Myungsoo shoved his hands inside his pockets and stared at Sunggyu. He tried fixing this silence between them for a long time, but he could never do it. He could never break the barrier between them. He probably could, he just didn't know what that barrier was. 

"I'll go prepare dinner now." Sunggyu gave him a pat on the back and walked out, shutting the door behind him. 

At that moment, Myungsoo was alone. Alone as Sunggyu shut that door. He stared at the piece of paper stuck on the door and felt his heart break all over again. When will his heart finally be at rest?