19. Complications

A chance encounter

“Music is always changing and the changes are unpredictable.” -Billy Sheehan

 

Youngjae

 

As dinner went on, Youngjae knew there was more to her than he thought she was, in a way she gave off a presence he couldn’t really put finger on it. They talked about different subjects things like jobs, dating life, odd bits and ends. She didn’t seem to mind talking about anything with him.

 

He wanted to prod about something else but it seemed best not to overwhelm her with the thought and stay nonchalant with the conversation. “So you don’t have a boyfriend?” Youngjae said, he decided to stay on a topic that didn’t seem too suspicious.

 

“Haha no, almost everyone asks me that question maybe they do want me to get married but I don’t think it’d suit me.”

 

“Oh why not?”

 

“Well I mean, I just feel like I’ll get stuck to one place and stay like that for the rest of my life. Of course I don’t mean its exactly like that but its a commitment right? I don’t want to have that sort of commitment.” Youngjae laughed a little and leaned back into the couch comfortably.

 

“Interesting, I mean I guess you’re not one of those typical women who want to get married, have kids, and live happily ever after.” He had a sarcastic tone to his voice that made Hwa young laugh with surprise.

 

“What I meant to say is that I wouldn’t want to get married but having a boyfriend would be fine. As long as he isn’t clingy, ignorant, snobbish, and all that then I’m fine.”

 

“You have some standards there missy.”

 

“I’d like to call them a reality check list of a real person.” She swished her glass of wine around and Youngjae noticed she had a necklace around her. It was a treble clef and sparkled prettily against the light of the room.

 

“Your necklace is pretty, where’d you get it.”

 

“Ah this.” She looked down at the necklace “I had gotten it from my dad, my mom gave me his box of personal belongings and I was allowed to keep everything in it. He noticed how consciously she held onto the necklace.

 

“You must miss your dad at times like this.” He locked eyes with her and she sighed and gave a smile “Not always but sometimes when I’m alone and my thoughts trail off he just comes to mind.”

 

The atmosphere felt completely different so Youngjae coughed and stood up, “I think its time for me to go, its pretty late already and I already called to have them me picked up.”

 

“Already, well I guess I don’t want you walking out alone in the streets then.”

 

“You make me sound like I’m a child.” He chuckled as Hwa young giggled a little “Well I mean just because you’re used to it doesn’t mean you won’t be expect it. I’ll walk you down then.” She stood up and put the glass back in the sink and washed her hands and grabbed a sweater sitting on the chair.

 

They both took the elevator down and from there it was silence the doors dinged and as they got out she passed by a hooded figure in a long black trench. Youngjae noticed the figure nearly ran into Hwa young and as she apologized the person said nothing and continued to walk into the elevator doors they had come out off.

 

“I’m sure that person was in a bad mood, come on.” He notice her frowning from the person as they walked towards the front and saw a car approaching the entrance. Youngjae turned to her and bowed “Thank you for the meal, I should bring the other members over next time if you’d like.” She smiled “Oh no, the pleasure’s all mine Youngjae, glad that you could come and tell Himchan that I’ll be hearing from him next time.

 

He nodded and opened the car door, once the car had gone out of view she turned back to go inside the apartment. Youngjae watched from the rearview mirror and turned facing the front.

 

“I don’t see why we have to keep an eye on her, this doesn’t seem necessary.”

 

“It is, after all Mr Yoo had us personally tell us I don’t think he’d ask for favours like that unless he’s desperate.” Himchan was gripping on the steering wheel as he explained to Youngjae.

 

“There’s something not right ever since that woman came to the funeral.” Himchan gritted his teeth and Youngjae knew that right now and then Himchan could have asked her who exactly she was.

 

From the description she sounded normal at least in his mind, whatever they saw would have totally been different. “I’ll say this, Mr Yoo was right about her she’s digging into the company’s past history and even looking into the scandal. "

 

“I know that we should have his soul resting, but when her daughter could be in potential danger I don’t if I can just idly stand back.” Youngjae noticed his now tense grip on the steering wheel.

 

“If it makes you feel any better she can cook just as good as you can, maybe better.” He smirked which caused Himchan to cluck his tongue and shake his head smiling.

 

“Youngjae I can pull you over and leave you here, you know.”

 

“Hyung, I don’t think you could, besides you have a heart.” This caused Youngjae to get a slap from the head followed by a painful ow and curses.

 

“Yah punk, if it wasn’t for you I don’t think you could even do all the chores even if I told you to.” Himchan huffed satisfyingly and continued to drive, with Youngjae who was rubbing his head

 

“Hyung, are you sure that these two aren’t connected somehow?” He stopped rubbing his head and tried to focus on Himchan’s facial expression. He could tell if he was in deep thought or was tired from his slight movements in his face. He couldn’t see any which indicated that he was in deep thought, really deep thought.

 

“I made a promise to myself Youngjae, that I would find a good and honest girl that I could be with when I’m ready.” Youngjae sat and listened intently to his hyung’s words and he continued “I found that person, but maybe she’s needed for someone else that needs that her more.” He finished and had that straight face on him that was only used if he was being serious, and he was.

 

“Well why can’t you have her, since you also needed that person.” Youngjae asked curiously at how he would respond.

 

“Its simple, she has to realize which of the two she needs the most.”

 

    Hwa Young

 

As soon as he left she went back inside her room, while in the elevator she felt a sort of uneasy sensation; that something was going to happen. She shook it off, thinking that its probably just her over exhaustion from work and that she needed to sleep earlier tonight.

 

Once she got off from the elevator she decided to take a nice shower and go to sleep, but as soon as she was about to unlock the door she stopped.

 

The door was slightly opened.

 

She looked around and found no one in the empty corridor, she took out her phone and dialed 119* she poked her head inside and found the room empty. She didn’t take her chances and stepped inside cautiously; on the side she found an umbrella and used it for a weapon. The ringing of the phone made her nervous as she didn’t want anything to pop out, she wasn’t ready.

 

“Hello what is your emergency.” She breathed a sigh of relief and quietly whispered in the phone “I think there may have been someone that has broken into my home, I don’t know if they’re still here.” She wanted to back out but stayed around the entrance and looked back and forth, hoping that she’ll be alert if anything is moving.

 

“Ma’am where are you right now.”

 

“I’m at Hana apartments 104th building 4th floor 304th room, my name is Eung hwa Young .”

 

“Okay, Miss Eung we need you to keep the line open.” Hwa Young nodded as she remained still, but still it wasn’t safe to be even in the room. All of a sudden she heard a rustle of noise nearby and her heart quickened. Before she could even react or back out of the room she felt something heavy land on her back and instantly fell to the ground.

 

She turned around and thanks to her quick reflexes she stopped a knife that the intruder was holding in their hand. Whoever this person was they were really strong, they were dressed in all black clothing and Hwa young grunted with effort to not have the knife being plunged into her neck.

 

Sirens were wailing in the distance and Hwa young could assume that they were on their way. The person in front of her immediately pulled away, but not before Hwa young tried to grab onto them. She struggled and pulled the sleeve of the person revealing a dragon tattoo.

 

Then all she could feel was a heavy thud on her head followed by a sharp pain and then

everything turned black around her.




 

“She’s still unconscious, check her pulse.”

 

“Her heart rate is 150, it looks like the cut just missed the jugular vein."

 

“Okay, lets get her on the stretcher, get me the first aid kit and stabilize her.”

 

Hwa young could hear the faint dialogue from people but her mind was in a blur as she struggled to open her eyes. Minutes later she could feel being wheeled into some sort of transportation, an ambulance and the sirens wailing. Additonally she could feel some sort of liquid down and couldn't place it on what it was.

 

After a few minutes she could hear more talking and the feeling of being wheeled onto the ground as she heard even more people around her.

 

“Notify any of her closest relatives and get me prepped to go into surgery.”

 

“Right away Doctor Choi.”

 

“Surgery? Did I cut myself?” Hwa young thought but then she remembered the sharp pain followed by the blackout from the person. “The intruder probably injured me really bad then and knocked me out for good.”

 

Soon after she felt a mask being inserted on her face and the anesthetic kicking in, once again she out.

 


 

“She won’t mind this will she?”

 

“You know I think that’s going to scare her more than make her feel comforted.”

 

“Well, where were you when I picked out this?”

 

“Shh all of you guys! You're going to wake her up, the doctor said that she needs a good solid rest, not all of you yapping together.”

 

“Fine then, I didn’t start this anyways.”

 

Familiar voices began to swirl in her head and groggily tried to wake up, working her eyes to function again. Slowly she opened them, the figures surrounding her bed weren’t clear but she blinked a few times slowly and finally saw clarity.

 

“Oh she’s waking up.”

 

She turned her head and focused on the person talking right now.

 

“Y-Youngjae?”

 

“Hey, welcome back to the living -ow what was that for?!” Youngjae yelped as his head had gotten whacked on the head by Yongguk who wasn’t amused with the greeting.

 

“You guys are a-all here?” She exclaimed more clearly with a slight stutter, as she tried to sit up properly but could feel the aching in her back followed by a hand supporting her.

 

“L-Lilly?” She turned to the woman that smiled. “Hey Skyler, I didn’t think you’d wake up any later, doc said that he was estimating you’d still need some rest but I think you seem fine waking up now.”

 

Hwa young stood up straight (with the help of Lilly) and her vision finally cleared seeing each one of the guys; Yongguk, Himchan, Daehyun, Youngjae, Jongup and Zelo. She could still feel her body aching but didn’t want to show it.

 

“Don’t tell me I suffered a fatal accident and ended up getting some sort of replacement.” She felt anxious but caused everyone else to laugh by her statement.

 

“No Hwa young nothing that serious, you just suffered a mild concussion and laceration  near your neck. Well I guess it can be considered serious but luckily they found in time and rushed you to the hospital.” Lilly gently reassured Hwa young and brought a stool to sit on.

 

“I thought I’d hop on a plane and come here, seeing as I was really worried. So did your mother, luckily I was able to board with her.” She coaxed Hwa young and added on “She’s in the hospital getting a coffee with Mr Yoo. They weren’t gone that long ago.”

 

“W-wait what about my apartment? Is it safe? I mean someone broke in right?” Hwa young felt a bit perplexed at how her apartment hadn’t suffered any damage from the intruder (other than the scratch on the door).

 

“Ah the apartment, don’t worry it’s alright they searched the place and found that the intruder didn’t take anything worth of value but its still closed down because its a crime scene now.”

 

Hwa young huffed, since her apartment isn’t available to stay in she’ll need to find someplace else to sleep.

 

“It’s okay Hwa young, don’t be such a worry rat, your mom actually knew a place where you could stay with her for the time being.” Lilly smiled encouragingly as Hwa young made an effort to smile.

 

“Well at least I’m not in a cast or anything, when can I go.”

 

“The doctor said that you’ll be able to come home as soon as tomorrow.” Lilly said excitingly “You should show me around in Seoul once you feel better.”

 

Hwa young laughed “Alright, I promise at least I hope that I won’t be getting any suspicious intruders from now on.” Everyone laughed but she couldn’t shake the feeling off that something about that intruder was odd.

 

 

[A/N] I hope that this was a satisfying in the story^^ Let me know if the pace should quicken or anything else every little bit helps :) Also I put a * beside the 119, in South Korea when you dial the emergency line its not in most countries where you'd dial 911 (i.e. North America) just a cultural note. Thanks for sticking with me guys with the story I'll actually be releasing a new one sometime soon so stay tuned!