CHAPTER 8 THE COLD HEARTED DAMSEL & THE DESPERATE KNIGHT

The Nice Guy and the Damsel: A Jongtae Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

HER POV:

 

            True to my word, I gave him the cold shoulder treatment. He has been following me around like a lost puppy and every time that he did, I ignored him. I don’t understand why everyone else, including my sisters (SNSD) are even helping him out. Aren’t they supposed to be on my side? Am I missing something here? Was I not clear enough when I told him that I didn’t want to be friends anymore?

            On one of my day offs, I decided to go and visit our relatives in Jeonju with my mom and my two siblings. I didn’t inform anyone where I was going so imagine my surprise when I saw Lee Jonghyun standing outside the gate and asking to meet up with me. My aunts, uncles, and cousins (including their nosey wives and husbands plus their children) kept telling me to go out and meet him.

I threatened that the moment they let him in, I’m going to run away, (I can walk again! Yey! I hated those crutches so much!) disappear and never come back. I know, I know. That was super dramatic and I never really meant it. However, I just recovered from an accident. They all think I’m still suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder, depression, and might be suicidal. I can’t even stand those injections. What makes them think I’d try to mutilate myself?

            “Taeyeon-ah, the boy’s been standing outside for the past 2 hours. Why don’t you invite him in? The rain is going to pour down any time soon. He kept begging me when we spoke on the phone. I didn’t expect him to follow us here on the same day.”

            Aha! So it was my umma who told him where I am. I used up those acting skills again and repeated the same “threats,” but this time, I had the advantage of tears. No one else bothered me after that. I spent the next 2 hours in peace (although I knew that some of them would occasionally go out to talk to him). The rain started and I honestly thought he was gone.

When everyone else was busy watching, I sneaked to the corner and peeked at the window. He’s still there. Drenched. Soaked. Shivering. I didn’t get time to hide because he saw me at once. He tore a box’s flap and started writing on it. I assumed he’s got a marker in his bag. After a few seconds, he raised it up so I could see.

 

 

I frowned at him and left. He’s going to get tired of waiting out there. Is he..? After 15 minutes, I checked up on him. Every time he spotted me on the window, he’d hold up that sign and every single time, I’d turn my back and walk away. It was past six-thirty and it’s getting dark.

 The rain hasn’t shown any signs of slowing down. He’s been waiting outside for 4 hours (the last 2 being drenched under the rain). I’m not completely heartless and I was beginning to get worried. I don’t want him to get sick. I know. I should’ve thought of that since the first minute the rain began to pour but he has refused my cousins’ offer of umbrellas and he didn’t exactly make an effort to find shelter. It’s his fault.

I keep checking whether he’s still there every 2 minutes and just like before, he’d flash that signboard. I can’t take this. My conscience is killing me. I took out my cell and dialled a number. I gathered some spare shirt, jogging pants, clean boxers (my cousins have new ones as spare stock; I don’t know if it fits him and I’m not exactly one to analyze a guy’s you know) slippers, a towel, and a blanket. I wore my hoodie and brought an extra umbrella.

            “Taeyeon-ah. You finally came outside for me.”

            He looked so overjoyed amidst the shivering. His lips have turned blue.

            “Don’t flatter yourself. I just don’t want to be responsible for you catching pneumonia or whatever. Here. Take this.”

            “You’re not going to invite me in?” he asked me like a lost little puppy.

Stop looking at me like that Jonghyun-ah! AISH! STOP IT!

            “NO.” At this point, the cab arrived. “The driver will take you to the hospital. One of my cousins work there. He’ll take care of everything. Look for a Dr. Kim Jaejoong. Don’t worry about the bills. I’ll send in a check or maybe drop by tomorrow to pay it off. Now go!”

            I shoved him inside the cab and immediately shut the door. I ran back to my room and hid myself under the thick bed covers. I don’t want anyone else to see me cry. I know I could’ve just invited him in but my pride overruled my judgment. I sent him to the hospital just to make sure his health is taken care of.

I knew he felt hurt by what I did. Granted, I still showed “concern” over his well-being, but I knew he was hurt with the way I treated him – as if he was a nuisance. I thought that seeing him like that would ease the pain (that’s not even really his fault in the first place), but it only ended up hurting me more. I’m stupid. I’m heartless.

 

HIS POV:

 

I was released from the hospital the following morning. Just as she said, everything has been paid for. I rushed back to their family home only to find that she got on the earliest trip back to Seoul an hour ago. This went on for a couple more days. She keeps running away from me, avoiding me, trying to push me away with her harsh words, and so on and so forth. None of it deterred me. It only made me want to do better. I know I should pursue her more, but the thing is, I can’t do it on my own. I need help.

 

 

 

If stares could kill, I’d be dead by now. I felt my hands shaking but I know that I have to face their wrath sooner or later. Or maybe, now.

            “I’m sorry.”

            That was the only thing I could think of. I wanted to say a lot of things but it’ll only sound as an excuse. I waited for the screaming, the multiple scolding, and curses to be thrown at me. Instead, they formed a line and slapped me one by one, alternating each side of my face. By the time all 13 of them were done, my entire face was swollen red. Joon hyung handed me an ice pack as the rest of them returned to their seats.

            I still stood there and waited for the scolding, but there was nothing. They just sat there, looking bored and sleepy.

            “Just say why you gathered us here in the first place.” (ALL)

            “But aren’t you going to scold me? Aren’t you mad at me? Even you girls?” I asked them worriedly.

            “We already slapped you. That’s more than enough. To be honest, we don’t even want to do that but we feel like it’s the least we could to “avenge” Taeyeon-ah. What were you expecting? That we’d come right at you with pitchforks and shotguns?

Lee Jonghyun, we’re all adults here. That thing is for kids. We slapped you and that’s it. We know you meant it when you said you’re sorry. We’re not keen on giving boring lectures at the moment. We just want the two of you to be happy. Now, speak up and tell us why you called us over.” (Jessica)

            I told them everything that happened, including that incident in Jeonju. I was expecting to gain some sympathy but they ended up laughing.

            “Guys, did you not hear what I said? I stood under the rain for almost 3 hours and when she finally came out of the house, she sent me off to a hospital!”

            “Wah. I didn’t know Taeyeon unnie was fierce. That was just..mianheyo, oppa, but I never really imagined Taeyeon unnie is capable of doing that. Hahaha! You must’ve hurt her really bad. Tsk.” (Seohyun)

            “You must’ve rubbed in some of that attitude of yours.” Yonghwa hyung told Seohyun.

            “Huh. And you’re saying that like it’s a bad thing?!” (Seohyun)

            “Aniya. It’s one of the things I love about you. But, don’t get me wrong. Even if every other woman develops the same attitude as yours, I’d never even look their way. How can I when you stole not only my attention but also my heart?” (Yonghwa)

            “I didn’t steal your heart oppa. You gave it to me, just as I have given you mine.” (Seohyun)

            “EWWWW! Stop it you two! Too much cheese! I need something spicy in here! Anybody g

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter