CHAPTER 6 THE POSSIBILITY THAT WE AREN’T EACH OTHER’S “MAYBE”

The Nice Guy and the Damsel: A Jongtae Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

HIS POV:

 

It’s been 4 days since the accident. Fortunately, she only suffered minor injuries aside from her fractured leg. She had to remain in the ICU for about 2 days because she was unconscious when the medics brought her in. It took her 48 hours to regain consciousness. As soon as the other test results were cleared, she was transferred to the regular ward (or the private suite room). I wanted to see her but no one would let me.

            “Where is she?! Why are you blocking my way! Step aside!”

            Yonghwa hyung and Lee Joon hyung held me back as the rest of them blocked the entrance to her room.

            “Now is not a good time, Jonghyun-ah. We have to let her recover first.”

            “THEN WHEN IS THAT TIME?!  DIDN’T SHE WAKE UP A FEW DAYS AGO?! You all had the chance to speak to her! I NEED TO SEE HER NOW! GET OUT!”

            “LEE JONGHYUN!” Tiffany shouted as she got out of the room. “I’m sorry. But she said she doesn’t want to see you.”

            I stopped struggling. She hates me. I made her hate me. I was too busy trying to figure out what I feel that I failed to notice I’ve been hurting her with my uncertainty. They let go of me and I walked away without looking back.

 

HER POV:

 

            “He’s gone. He left the hospital building. You can stop trying to hide under the covers or in the bathroom, Kim Taeyeon-sshi.” Tiffany announced as soon as she got inside and shut the door.

            All 9 of them eyed me curiously. I know this look. It’s the one that says, spill the beans while we’re being nice. I pretended that my medication is making me feel drowsy but then, the genius maknae of SNSD had to explain how that’s impossible. She even made a complete drug study of every single medicine that was prescribed to me.

Oh why does she have to be such a nerd!!!! Is this payback from all the times I played the part of a dedicated YongSeo shipper? Karma got a new name. Yep, It’s Seohyun. Thank you, Seohyun-ah. Thank you for keeping me in the hot seat. Sickness or not, broken leg or not, when it comes to these topics, there are no excuses.

            “OK OK I’ll tell you guys everything! I know how it’s impossible for all of you to keep your mouths shut before I even finish a sentence…” I started. As if on cue, the barrage of questions began:

            “So why are you avoiding him, unnie?” (Seohyun & Krystal)

            “Is Jonghyun the guy you’ve been talking about lately? I knew it! It wasn’t just a “friend’s story” but yours!” (Yuri)

            “Have mercy on the poor guy! I was beginning to be worried he’d tear down these doors just to get to talk to you!”(Jessica)

            “Do you know how long he stayed up just to wait for you, unnie to wake up? He looked like a zombie!” (Yoona)

            “Jonghyun and Taeyeon kissing on a tree. K-I-S-S-I-N-G! Hahaha!” (Hyoyeon & Sooyoung)

“Yah, is that even important right now?’’ I scowled at that annoying pair.

“Sure, might help your recovery! Jonghyun & Taeyeon kissing on a tree. K-I-S-S-I-N-G!!! Hahaha!’’

“KIM HYOYEON!! You better feel blessed because I can’t chase you!’’ she wasn’t even affected at all. To make matters worse, Sooyoung decided to re-join her in singing that childish song! Aish! These two!

            “JongTae lives!” (Sunny)

            They rest of them kept talking all at once that I had to shout just to silence them and regain the attention.

            “YAH! That’s what I’m talking about!” three of them attempted to speak again but I glared and held up my hand. “Unless all of you let me finish telling you everything without any interruptions, you are never going to know anything!”

They immediately sat up straight and paid attention.  I told them everything that happened from Day 1 up to the last thing I remembered. Even if it was embarrassing to include that last conversation we had, I knew I had to be honest with them.

It’s been 5 minutes since I finished recounting the events and so far, the room was filled with nothing but silence. The way they stared at me blankly made me want to crawl under the sheets or somewhere else I could hide. I know what happens after this and it’s nothing but the storm, aka, the teasing. I slowly started to lift the blankets but I was startled when all of them squealed,

            “KYAAAAAA! JONGTAE FOREVER! KYAAAAAA!”

            All of them took turns hugging, kissing my cheeks, and congratulating me. What the hell?! This isn’t the reaction I expected at all! The teasing, yes, but I did expect them to be solemn and comfort me. Not the exaggerated congratulations!

            “YA! What’s up with the congratulations? Didn’t you hear the rest of what I said?!”

            They ignored my confusion and started going into their “shipper mode.” How long has it been since I was one of the crowd too? Now Seohyunnie took my place and spazzed along with them as I became ½ of the “couple” they are currently enamored in. Mwoyah?! Karma. You can’t escape it.

            They started nudging my elbows playfully, pinching my cheeks and so on. What is up with these girls? Did their minds automatically shut down when I told them the part about crying and all?

            “Ya! Was my “confession” the only thing that made it in your head?! Are you forgetting the fact that I also got “rejected” by the guy?!” I asked them. They just laughed and dismissed me with a wave of their hand.

            “Did he really reject you, unnie? Did you hear him say the actual words? Like, the “I’m sorry but I don’t love you” or something like “I’m sorry but I don’t feel the same way and only see you as a friend?” Did he really say that?” Seohyun questioned me. This maknae! Just because she’s so in love right now she’s made it her life mission to get the rest of the single ladies in SNSD all paired up!

Imagine!!! Seohyun. Seo Joohyun. High school valedictorian. Former antisocial. The girl who ran away and proposed the dating ban to avoid boy troubles, aka Jung Yonghwa. Now, sitting across the room from me, with hearts practically shooting out of her eyes. Is this what love does to people? Is this the result of the thing she affectionately termed as The JYH effect? I could laugh at her right now. Except I don’t feel like laughing. I wanna crawl inside the covers and sleep. And also, my backside hurts real bad.

            “Uh..not really…” I stuttered.

            “SEE! You didn’t even give him a chance to reply to anything! You didn’t even listen to his explanations!” Sunny said.

            “But I don’t want to hear what he has to say! I know he’s uncertain and I don’t want to hear the words out loud. That’s almost the same thing as rejection…” I cried out in defense.

            “Yeah well, what about the rest of his explanation?” (Jessica)

            “He didn’t attend my concert! He said he’d be there but he never showed up!” I pointed out.

            “HE WAS THERE FROM BEGINNING TO END YOU PABO!” (All)

What? He was? But how come I never saw him? I didn’t have to ask the questions out loud because they all seemed to figure it out from my facial expressions alone.

“His drama filming ended later than expected. His ticket also got accidentally shredded so he had no choice but to beg the security guard, who still wouldn’t believe his identity despite him showing proofs. There were too much people and we got separated in line. The rest of us made it earlier and we tried to call Jonghyun but he got caught with the crowd and I think he ended up in the farthest corner of the audience area.” (Tiffany)

“Before you ask, Shindong oppa also said that Jonghyun’s phone must’ve run out of battery because their call got cut when they were trying to solve the ticket issue.” (Yuri)

“He didn’t meet you backstage because he rushed to that restaurant to check if everything was ok for that party to celebrate your concert! Did you know how long he’s been bugging us to prepare for that event? I never knew Mr. Nice Guy can be such a nagger too.” (Sooyoung)

A party..? For me? Him nagging the rest of our friends just to prepare for that? I wanted to believe that they’re all lying just to make me feel better but I’ve spent a lifetime with these girls to know that they’re all telling the truth right now.

Oh no! Mental slap number one.

“But…what about..i saw him..talking..smiling..with Yoona..” I trailed off. This only elicited groans and then boisterous laughters soon after that.

“KIM TAEYEON IS JEALOUS!!!! HAHAHAHAHA!” (ALL)

“Omg I can’t believe it! I never knew it’d be possible to see uri kid leader look so jealous! Hahahaa!” (Sunny)

“Make no mistake, everyone! Taeyeon unnie’s jealousy is really daebak. Jinja!” (Krystal)

“I know right. The rain argument scenario was just so dramatic. I swear I thought you two were filming some angsty scene in a romc

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter