CHAPTER 4 NEON NAEGE BANHAESSO ?

The Nice Guy and the Damsel: A Jongtae Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Previously…

Then why don’t YOU and I try to work this out?” she suggested.

“WHAT?!”               

 

 

HIS POV:

“You and I. For a month.”

“A month?!”

“Ok, fine. Then how about 29 days? Because the number 30 is just too mainstream.”

“29 days?! 30 is mainstream?!”

“Lee Jong, are you just going to keep repeating what I say? I asked your suggestion but you gave me none. I offered to just pick a stranger, but you said I shouldn’t. Now I’m running out of options. Besides, I think this is a perfect opportunity to prove to everyone else that a boy and a girl, aka you and me, can be JUST FRIENDS! If we manage to make it through the 29 days without either of us falling for each other, then we have the final laugh and bragging rights. Wooh! I think this idea is a genius.” She squealed.

“I think it’s not! Kim Taeyeon!”

“Lee Jonghyun!” she imitated me again and laughed.

“Ya! This is a bad idea. I don’t think this will work. Why would you pick me? I thought the goal was to help you experience falling in love for real. If we are out to prove to everyone that we are indeed “just friends” then this 29 days idea you came up with isn’t necessary!”

“Hey, I’m not the one who planted this idea in my head. It’s all you. Don’t you remember what you told me that night on the rooftop?” she cleared and mimicked me. “Taeyeon-ah, what if…what if we were each other’s ‘maybe?’ Look, Lee Jong. We don’t even have to go on dates or buy couple stuffs. We won’t even do anything at all. Now is the perfect time to know whether we are or we aren’t each other’s “maybe.””

“Then how is this going to work if we aren’t going to do anything? What do you propose? That we just sit here and talk to each other?”

I don’t even know why I’m so moody right now. I’ve never been like this to anyone, most especially girls. But something about wanting to get this over quickly as if it didn’t really matter irks me the wrong way.

“I don’t know. You’re the love expert. You tell me.”

I sighed and scratched my nape. How do you explain and help someone experience love? Especially someone as stubborn as her? One who despises men a lot even if she says otherwise.

“I think we should spend more time together. Go out. Eat. Watch a movie. Just be there for one another. I know we’ve always been there for each other but this time, it doesn’t have to be on just the loneliest occasions. No pressure. We’re just going to hang out like we always do. But 29 days….is a time frame necessary?”

“Yes! That time frame adds up to the thrill and helps us look forward to the end. Yey!” She said excitedly.

“Taeyeon-ah, how many times do I have to insist that you can’t put love on a schedule?!”

“As many times as necessary. So 29 days it is! Bye! See you tomorrow! I have to leave for my Sketchbook recording. Andy oppa (her manager) is here now. Take care, Jong!”

12 steps…29 days…how will this end?

 

HER POV:

 

            “You suggested what?!” All 8 of them yelled as soon as I finished telling them about everything.

            “Taeyeon-ah, are you out of your mind?! This could either end good or bad and from the looks of it, the latter part is most likely to happen. One of you is going to get hurt. You think love is a game? Look, we’re sorry. We won’t tease you anymore. We won’t even “force” you two to be together. Just drop this and let it go.” (Tiffany)

            “We admit we went too far. We’re sorry. Just drop this thing altogether. We don’t want to see any of you getting hurt.” (Yuri)

            “Why are you guys being so serious all of a sudden? It’s just 29 days and it doesn’t necessarily mean just the two of us. Who knows? Maybe I’ll find a different guy within that period. In the meantime, he’ll serve as the sub.”

            “Different guy? Sub? Kim Taeyeon, can you even hear yourself right now?!” (Jessica)

            “I don’t understand why all of you are so against this. I’ve had relationships before, remember? And I survived all breakups just fine. This is just going to be a walk in the park.” I confidently stated.

            “Unnie. Please. We love both of you and we don’t want either of you to get hurt.” Seohyun pleaded.

            “I understand your concern, Seohyunnie, but I can assure you no one is going to get hurt in this. The longest time I ever cried for an ex, was what? 20 minutes? An hour? This isn’t different. Lee Jong is a nice guy. He won’t do anything to “break my heart” or something.”

            “There’s no such thing as ‘nice guys’ when it comes to love and relationships, especially one that has a deadline or an expiry date!” (Sunny)

            “Calm down, Lee Soonkyu. Haha!” I joked, but I was the only one who found it amusing.

            They stood up and had a meeting on one corner. After 10 minutes of arguing/agreeing they all came back to face me.

            “Ok.” (ALL)

            “Ok?”

            “We respect your decision – these 29 days to fulfill your promise to Lee Jonghyun. We promise we won’t stop or discourage you. We won’t even tease you just as much as we did.” (Tiffany)

            “And you don’t have to worry about us “stalking” your dates. We will give you two your privacy.” (Sooyoung)

            I laughed. Privacy? No stalking? Are they for real?

            “Ey. Chincha? You really won’t follow us around? Are you sure about that?”

            “Yah, Kim Taeyeon. You better accept this offer before we change our minds.” (Hyoyeon)

            “Ok then. I accept. Anything else?”

            “We won’t judge you or scold you, unnie. If you need any of us, we’ll be here. All you have to do is ask.” (Yoona)

            They had to leave for their respective schedules so they got their bags and prepared to leave.

            “One last advice to our beloved leader: your exes don’t and never did know you just as well as Lee Jonghyun does.” (Jessica)

“You’re best friends. He knows you inside and out. He knows a lot about you, probably just as much as we do. You’re one step closer to falling for him for real. Bye!” (Tiffany)

 

 

            From Day 1, things began to change. I saw him differently. I tried to convince myself that my high school crush on him is just resurfacing and nothing more. However, I also knew that deep down, that’s a lie. We sat side by side on this picturesque location.

            “There’s only half an hour left before the 29 days are up, Taenggoo and I think I’m going to fail this one.” He said. His voice filled with sadness and regret.

            “A lot can happen in 30 minutes, Lee Jong. Don’t give up hope.” I .

            “Can I be honest?”

            “Why? Have you been lying to me all this time?” I joked.

            “That’s not what I meant, Taenggoo. I never lied to you. What I mean is, you should stop holding yourself back. Don’t let the men in your life hold you back from experiencing one of the greatest things in the world – love. Not every guy is like your father.” He said seriously.

            “Which father are you talking about? The donor or the dead one?”

            “Kim Taeyeon! How

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter