The story of 'before'

Into The Past

Slowly, feet moving backwards, sweat trickling down her porcelain skin, she looked at the incoming target and systematically raising the racket. Making it look like she would give the opponent a smash. As it inched nearer, she knew she’d seize the game. She swayed the racket smoothly, hitting the ball? slickly with the ball only a few inches past the net and producing a soft touchdown against the sand. She sported a poker face but mentally high-fived herself.

“Kim, another points for your midterms.”

“Thanks, coach,” she said as she moved towards her duffel bag and got what she was looking for

“and still you won’t join the team. We need a strategist like you, kid. It’s a shame to keep your talent all to yourself”

Smiling apologetically at her p.e. professor, she moved her way to her defeated opponent all the while drinking her favorite Gatorade. She didn’t need another person reminding her of what she should do.  

‘This sport’, she thought, ‘it’s should be enjoyed, not something to be obsessed with’

“Aish, it is always unfair when I get to be against you.” She watched the girl amusingly.

“You have long legs that are perfect for badminton; you’re tall enough to strike a perfect serve. Tell me again, Sooyoung, why don’t you even try?” wiping off the sweat on her neck.

“Hello, as if I care. I’m just a normal girl with a great body, I mean, can you blame me? Ugh, I shouldn’t be this perfect.”

“Wow! Now I feel ashamed!” sarcasm, obviously the topic of their banter.

 “C’mon, Taeyeon, I’m dying to take a shower. You should, too. You reek.” They headed off to the girls’ shower room, both eager to wash away the traces and conspicuous signs of the sport from their bodies.

“Shut up! I may smell sweaty but guess who got extra points for midterms” Taeyeon shrugged her shoulders and they both laughed. Knowing that it should shut the other girl’s mouth.

---

On the way to their next class, they spotted Yuri walking towards them. She noticed that they just got out of PE class, with their rackets still with them. She suddenly made a hand gesture.

“Williams, up against Kim. The Match is set to be the most epic battle for this year’s French Open. Williams, did the opening serve” Throwing an invisible tennis ball up in the air, Yuri hit it with her invisible racket, directed to Taeyeon.

Taeyeon smiled and did a backward step, she raised her hand and hit the imaginary ball. Yuri reciprocated the action. They went on like that for a while with Soo Young continuing the commentary.

Taeyeon was about to take another turn when she bumped into someone on her left side. They were too absorbed in their own little world to notice students walking past them and she was startled when she heard a gasp followed by the loud bang of books falling on the ground.