Colour my life with the colours of music

Skoolboy Luv

Yoongi liked music. Actually that was a vicious understatement, Yoongi loved music. He loved how the thumping bass made his ears pound. He’d probably have hearing loss, but he didn’t care. He loved different voices filtering through his headphones. He loved hearing the feelings. He loved the lyrics. He loved melodies. He loved harmonies. He loved instruments. He loved everything there was to love about music. In his mind, there was no bad music. 

He also had, what he believed to be a unique ability. He heard colours when he listened to music. He’d hear electric blue in upbeat songs, he’d hear red in love songs, he’d hear black and white in rap songs. He’d hear purple in sensual, deep feeling songs. Sometimes Yoongi would lose himself in the music, and when he finally regained his senses, all he could see were colours flashing before his eyes. 

 

Yoongi felt like a painter in those moments. When all the colours of the music splashed together in his mind. It was messy, but it was beautiful. He had never once not heard colours when he was listening to music, so he was sure he wasn’t crazy. The only time it was different, was when he was creating his own music. He never saw colours then. Maybe it’s because was too busy actually using his brain, instead of letting it focus on the music. 

 

All of this dawned on Yoongi as a scrawled messy lyrics in his notebook. He was writing a song. He didn’t know what it was about, or what it would sound like. All he knew is that he had phrases, lines, words in his head hat he needed to write down. Yoongi would probably never actually use them. He seldom did, but it was nice to write them down. 

He stopped abruptly when a boy plopped down in the seat next to him. It was the orange haired boy Jimin had introduced him to earlier. Yoongi wracked his brain trying to remember the boys name, before a hand was shoved in his face.

 

“Kim Taehyung. You look like you forgot, so I figured I’d help you out.”

 

Yoongi didn’t know whether to be grateful to the boy for reminding him, or offended that he thought he had forgotten. You had forgotten. His mind seemed to be full of unhelpful thoughts today.

Yoongi extended his hand, and it was shook enthusiastically. 

 

“Min Yoongi, but you can call me Suga.” 

 

“Thanks! I’ll do that. Suga sounds more fun than Yoongi anyway.” 

 

Yoongi gaped at the boy in front of him. The nerve of some people. Just as Yoongi was about the scold the boy for having rude manners, Taehyung blurted out, “You and Jimin make a cute couple!”

 

Yoongi felt himself choke on his own spit. He coughed violently; his eyes bugging out of his head.

He had no doubt that he looked ridiculous, and was sure that if he’d seen this happen to someone else he’d be laughing. Taehyung slapped Yoongi’s back hard, trying to clear his airways. It clearly wasn’t working. Each slap made Yoongi cough more. Is he trying to kill me? He thought darkly.

“Don’t worry Suga! I’ll save you!” The orange haired boy called out triumphantly.

Yoongi sputtered a bit before finally feeling his breathing to return to normal. He pushed Taehyung’s hand away from his back, glad the violent attack was over. 

 

“What the hell is wrong with you” Yoongi rounded on the boy with fury in his eyes. First he had insulted him, then insinuated that him and Jimin were together, before finally trying to murder him. 

Something was definitely wrong with this kid.

Taehyung just smiled, “I’m glad you’re alright. Perhaps you should learn how swallowing works.” 

Yoongi could have strangled him; if he didn’t think he’d go to jail for it. 

 

“I…what…I…-“ Taehyung cut Yoongi off before he could think of a good comeback.

 

“Like I was saying before, you choked. You and Jimin are cute together. I knew from the minute I saw him dragging you down the halls that you were special. Jimin hardly has to drag people down the halls. Quite the contrary. I mean you’ve seen them. They basically fly just to be near him. Now here he is dragging a cute boy down the hallway. Obviously that would piss them off, but he’s not going to let that stop him. No way! If he’s into someone he’s not afraid to let everyone know and- uh Suga are you even listening to me?” 

 

Taehyung looked pointedly at Yoongi, who had clearly stopped listening to the boys rant. Yoongi didn’t want to entertain the hope that maybe Taehyung was right. That maybe Jimin did like him. That maybe the moment in the bathroom had been- 

He shook his head, not wanting to think about it anymore. The mere thought made his whole body on edge. 

 

“Look Taehyung I-“ 

 

“Don’t worry. I know you like him too. Don’t even try and deny it. I know the truth. You’re clearly crushing on him. I see the way you look at him. You get this goofy smile on your face-“

 

“Yah! I do not!”

 

Taehyung carried on as if Yoongi had never even spoken, “-when you think he’s not looking. It’s okay though because he does it to you as well. He watches your every movement. It’s cute. So you can drop the tough guy act, I know you’re really just a big bowl of Suga!” 

 

Taehyung laughed at his own joke; standing up quickly. “Well it’s been nice. But I’ve got to run. I’ll see you at lunch. Bye Suga!” With that, as quickly as he’d appeared; he was gone. 

 

Why do they keep doing that?

 

Yoongi closed his eyes, and let out a deep breath. He let his mind think back to the moment, they’d had in the bathroom. Why had Jimin jumped away so fast? Oh yeah. Jungkook. Yoongi angrily let himself think back to the attractive boy in their Biology class. He’d completely forgotten about him. He’d wanted to believe so bad that Taehyung was telling the truth, but when he remembered seeing the two boys in biology his heart clenched painfully. Yoongi felt the anger and jealousy swirl around uncomfortably in his stomach; he wanted to hit something. Grabbing his notebook, he looked down at his messy writing before ripping out the pages 2 at a time. He mentally berated himself for behaving like a love-sick teenager. He always laughed at how foolish they were in movies; never once thinking he himself would become one. I’m not in love with Jimin! But one day, you could be. Shutup! Yoongi was too busy arguing with himself, that he didn’t hear the bell ring. It wasn’t until Yoongi felt a tap on his shoulder, that he looked up. He saw Jimin’s bright eyes shining down at him. 

 

“Did you not hear the bell? It rang five minutes ago”

 

Yoongi shook his head

 

“Silly Yoongi. Are you still distressed over having to do 100 push ups?”

 

Yoongi couldn’t believe he was acting so casually. Hadn’t they almost kissed in the bathroom before class? Well, if Jimin wasn’t going to act like it happened then Yoongi wouldn’t either.

 

“I’m not distressed. I was concentrating. There is a difference, you know.” Yoongi said snidely.

 

Jimin laughed, “Alright then princess, no need to be so hostile. Clean up your mess, and lets go to lunch.”

 

“I’m not a princess!” Yoongi felt like he’d been saying ‘he wasn’t’ or ‘he didn’t’ an awful lot today. But nevertheless, he grabbed the scrunched up paper and notebook and shoved them both in his bag. 

 

“Will you buy me lunch?” Jimin asked cutely.

Yoongi was tempted to say yes. Friends bought each other lunch right? But decided against it.

 

“Actually, I feel like you should buy me lunch. Since I’ve been made to endure your cheesy one-liners all day. I think it’s only fair.” 

 

“What?! I thought they were good!”

 

“That’s clearly the problem.”


Their banter was light-hearted; it made Yoongi feel better. If they could keep this up, maybe he wouldn’t mind just being friends with Jimin. 

Then Jimin just had to ruin it.

 

“But Yoongi, if you don’t pay for my lunch today, how is it going to be fair when I take you on a date and pay? You want our relationship to be fair, don’t you?” Jimin pouted.

 

Yoongi looked at Jimin like a deer in headlights. He knew Jimin was expecting an answer, but how could he give one? Just when he had thought things were going to be okay…

 

“Uh…”

 


Authors Note:

Hello everyone! Firstly, I want to thank everyone from the bottom of my heart for reading this. I know it's not the best piece of literature, and there are some inconsistencies, but I really do appreciate you sticking around. I feel like I can only get better from here. I have a few more chapters to go before I end this story, but I'm already looking at writing a new one. I'd love an ideas or feedback that anyone has. You're all amazing, and I can't wait to get to know some of you. Thank again. Hope you enjoyed chapter 4 ♥♥♥