Knockout

Breezing

In Kyungsoo's mind, Jongin and Lu Han were inseparable best friends. They grew up together as neighbors. Jongin's dad worked as a senior prosecutor in Seoul, and Lu Han's dad ran a small but prominent family business. Although not exactly chaebols, the two grew up in respectable upper middle class families and wanted for nothing. That they would end up friends seemed predestined.

And as far as Kyungsoo could remember, the two had never argued. While Lu Han rambled on in his pretty voice, Jongin listened stoically, not particularly agreeing, but never disagreeing. And if one faced trouble, and high school boys did invariably face trouble, the other always rushed to his defense. In Kyungsoo mind, that equated to some unbreakable brotherly bond.

But Lu Han and Jongin did fight; in fact, one of their fights was so violent that they faced expulsion. It happened the evening when Kyungsoo and Jongin broke up, which is to say the six month anniversary of their relationship.

Kyungsoo remembered things like that, special occasions that commemorated some momentous event. He felt that if he could always remember to celebrate the occasions, he could keep a grasp on whatever it commemorated, drag it out, nurture it, keep it alive.

That day, he had baked a cake. A dark chocolate cake that didn’t look all that pretty and didn’t taste exceptionally delicious, but he had tried his best and really, isn’t that all you needed to do? Try your best and ye shall succeed.

“So are you like actually dating him now?”

Kyungsoo was standing outside the door to the dance practice room with his platter of cake. Jongin and Lu Han were both on the school dance team and often stayed late to practice. Today was no different. Kyungsoo wondered if he should go in. He decided to wait.

“Wasn’t that part of the game plan?”

“Well, the game plan was just to get him to give it up to you.”

Through the small window in the door, Kyungsoo could see their reflections on the mirrors. They weren’t looking at each other. Lu Han’s face, usually smiling, was expressionless. Jongin looked irritated.

“Yeah well, I didn’t want to him. So yeah, I guess I dated him for awhile.”

“But it's different now, right?" Lu Han smirks, but it's not a pleasant look on his face. 

"What the do you mean?"

"He means more to you now, doesn't he? You have feelings for him now. Do you love him?

A terse pause. Kyungsoo had never felt his heart beat so quickly and loud. He held his breath--he couldn't breathe, he was so nervous. The hand holding cake shook--his entire body shook.

"I don't know what you're talking about," Jongin finally says. "It was just a game. Do I love him, ha." A disgusted scoff. "Have you seen how he looks? That's gross."

"You're lying, Jongin."

"Whatever. Look, I got him into bed, we ed, okay? Pay up."

Kyungsoo watched with large eyes as Lu Han chuckled and took out his wallet. How much was that? 50,000. 1, 2, 3, 4...10. So 500,000 won then. Just 500,000 won to make a joke out of him, his feelings, his body. 

The cake falls to the ground, with its metal pan container clattering against the tile. Jongin unwittingly meets Kyungsoo's eyes through the window. 

"Kyungsoo," Jongin whispers, eyes wide. Then louder, "Kyungsoo!" He jumps up from the cheap folding chair and bolts towards the door, where Kyungsoo is still standing motionlessly. 

"Kyungsoo, listen." Jongin reaches his hand out, intending to take Kyungsoo by the shoulder. But Kyungsoo flinches and backs away. His large eyes stare at Jongin's. They look helpless. Jongin's throat tightens. "Kyungsoo, it's not true. I didn't mean--" Jongin tries again to reach for the other boy, but this time Kyungsoo slaps his hand away. It wasn't a malicious slap, just one in self-defense, fighting for survival. 

"Kyungsoo..."

Lu Han is watching them, doe-like eyes first shocked, then unreadable. Neither notice him. 

"Kyungsoo, we need to talk. I didn't mean--"

"Sorry." Kyungsoo's voice comes out in a croak. "Sorry, I didn't know..."

"What?" Jongin looks panicked now. "No, I should be apologizing. Kyungsoo, I'm the one who's sorry--"

"--I thought you were okay with...but I..." Kyungsoo is beginning to walk away even as he reaches for the words. His large pupils are fixed on the ground--he couldn't bear to look at Jongin, not for another second. "I didn't know you would be so...repulsed. But I should have, of course. Who would want--want me?" Ha. Ha. He laughs self-deprecatingly. He wants to pick up his feet and run. Jongin is reaching for him again, but he screams "No, don't touch me! I'm stupid. I was the one who misunderstood. Don't touch me!

And finally, he does run. Jongin stares after him, frozen. 

 

 

Kyungsoo wasn't there to see what followed.

Lu Han sidled up to Jongin and tsked. "Well, looks like we're done with him. Two birds with one stone eh--"

"Shut up."

Lu Han ignores Jongin. "--Got my money and got rid of your ugly fake boytoy--"

"I said shut up," Jongin growled. 

"You don't get to tell me what to do. You bought into that game willingly. I gave you an out tonight--you could've just said you liked him--but you're the one who didn't want to admit it--"

" you Lu Han!" 

Jongin whipped around and threw the first punch. Not expecting it, Lu Han gets hit square in the face. A trickle of blood runs down his nose. Lu Han lets out a disbelieving bark of laughter. "You're the ing coward, Kim Jongin." 

"Shut the up! You're the one who came up with this disgusting bet. You're a piece of !"

"Me? I wouldn't have treated him like that. You know what? saw him first! I would've told him that I loved him!"

Jongin's eyes widened as understanding dawned upon him. "Oh my god. You knew he was coming. You knew he was coming tonight, you ! You wanted him to hear that, didn't you?"

"So what if I did?" Lu Han smirks cruelly. "It wouldn't have worked if you hadn't been a total douche. It wouldn't have--"

Jongin was no longer listening. Blind with rage, he throws another punch. But this time, Lu Han's ready to face him and just as angry. 

 

 

They're found soon enough by the school's security guard. And before they knew it, they were hauled into the principal's office and their parents were called in. 

Absolute ban on fighting. We don't tolerate that here. 

There will be disciplinary action, of course. They're not the best of students to begin with.

Suspension? Maybe suspension. At least suspension.

Of course it will be on their record.

Voluntary withdrawal? Maybe, we'll consider...

Then they were whisked away. Another school for a few months, then college abroad. 

The last scene Kyungsoo remembers of them will always be their conversation in the dance room on that cool summer night. 

 

***

 

 

When Jongin shows up at the office again the next day, he's sporting a black eye. 

"What happened to you?" Sehun asks with a note of disdain.

"Nothing," Jongin says coldly. 

Kyungsoo doesn't say anything, but he steals glances at Jongin's bruised eye, wondering the same as Sehun. Lu Han, surprisingly, says nothing and is typing away. 

Kyungsoo wants to ask Jongin where he was yesterday; he parts his lips several times to speak. But ultimately, it feels inappropriate. He keeps silent. 

 

 

"Lunch, Soo?" 

Kyungsoo blinks blankly at Lu Han. He's been staring at the computer for far too long. 

"We can grab lunch and eat on the rooftop," Lu Han repeats with a playful smile. 

Before Kyungsoo could answer, Jongin stands up abruptly, his chair scraping against the floor. He casts an icy stare at Lu Han--Kyungsoo doesn't know why--and he says tensely, "Kyungsoo's not going anywhere with you."

"Oh, stop being so petty Jongin," Lu Han responds with a smirk. "Soo and I've been bonding in your absence, haven't we?"

Kyungsoo's eyes dart nervously between Jongin and Lu Han. "Uh..." He finally lands his gaze on Sehun, pleading for help.

Sehun rolls his eyes, as per usual. "Well, this isn't awkward at all. And you guys are supposed to be the adults." He ends his sentence on a particularly disdainful note. "Let's just all eat together in the cafeteria, okay? Okay."

With that, he picks Kyungsoo up by the arm and begins to stroll out. Kyungsoo shrugs his shoulders helplessly at Lu Han and Jongin. Still tense, the two follow.

 

 

The cafeteria was crowded with company employees, but Kyungsoo and co find a table for themselves. They eat quietly at first, until Lu Han surreptiously transfers some beef from his plate to Kyungsoo's with a wide smile. 

"Beef's your favorite, right Soo?"

Jongin lips quirk downward for a fraction. He slowly picks up a piece of fried chicken from his plate and drops it into Kyungsoo's plate. "No, he likes fried chicken the best, obviously."

Both stare expectantly at Kyungsoo, who again has nowhere to turn but Sehun. Sehun sighs. "This is so childish it isn't even funny. Here hyung, just eat mine." He then directly switches his entire plate with Kyungsoo while Jongin and Lu Han watch with dropped jaws. 

"Ok, you can't just eat his food." Jongin says tightly through gritted teeth. Lu Han follows with a dangerous glint in his pretty eyes, "Yeah, and why should Soo eat your food?"

Sehun merely looks at them with his usual deadpan gaze as he digs into Kyungsoo's curry noodles, as if it say watch me. Kyungsoo hides a smile. It was a strange dynamic, strangely fun.

They're interrupted by a delicate female voice. 

"Jongin? You're back?" It's Krystal, one of the receptionist. Young and pretty, she glides over and plops down on the empty seat next to Jongin. "Oh gosh, what happened to your eye?"

Jongin shifts uncomfortably under the surveillance of Kyungsoo and Sehun. Lu Han smirks at him. "Nothing, it was just an accident."

"Aww, poor thing," Krystal coos. She reaches a hand out as if to touch and sooth the bruised skin, but Jongin ducks away. Sehun lets out a muffled chuckle, which earns him a glare from the receptionist. He shrugs innocently and returns to eating. 

Kyungsoo takes this all in silently. 

"So," Krystal continues in a chirpy voice. "I actually wanted to catch you because I got special VIP tickets to Justin Beiber's concert, and--"

"--Wait, Justin Beiber?" Sehun asks, perking up. "You have tickets to Justin Beiber?" 

Krystal rolls her eyes, "Yeah, but not for you, obviously." She turns back to Jongin with a flirty smile. "So, wanna come? This Friday night."

"Friday?" Jongin peers imploringly at Kyungsoo. "Maybe..."

Kyungsoo quietly picks up his tray and gets up from his seat. 

"I'm done. I think I have something to do, so I'll see you guys back at the office."

"Kyungsoo, wait--"

He's already walking away, unhurried but quick.

 

 

 

"Kyungsoo!

Kyungsoo pauses momentarily to wait for Jongin to catch up. They're in the middle of the empty hallway that leads to their office. Jongin grabs him by the arm.

"Kyungsoo, wait," Jongin says, slightly breathless. "We need to talk."

"About what?" Kyungsoo ask emotionlessly. 

"I was serious, about what I said."

"These are working hours, I don't think we should be having this conversation--"

"I've never forgotten you." Jongin stares straight into Kyungsoo's eyes. It's different from his usual, droopy-eyed gaze. Kyungsoo had never seen him look so serious. 

Kyungsoo sighs. "Look, we dated for six months. Well, if you can call it that even. This isn't some soap opera--I mean sure, it seemed like the end of the world at the time, but we're adults now, and I can deal--"

"--You haven't forgotten me either," Jongin states as a matter-of-fact, taking a step closer toward Kyungsoo, nearly backing him into the wall. 

"Ok, you need to stop," Kyungsoo says, frowning. "I'm telling you that I don't want to have this conversation at work and you're in my personal space right now."

Jongin shrugs expressionlessly and leans closer. His eyes are still burning with a strange intensity as he stares into Kyungsoo's face. 

"--And anyway, you're about to date Krystal right? Stop bothering me." Kyungsoo says sullenly as he tries unsuccessfully to push Jongin away. 

Finally, Jongin cracks a small smile. "I knew that bothered you. Krystal's nothing to me."

"It doesn't bother me," Kyungsoo retorts. "But if she's nothing to you, why'd you agree to go to the concert?"

"Need some information from her. She knows all the going-ons in the office."

Kyungsoo's eyes narrow. "Wait, so you're using her."

Jongin pauses and frowns. "Well, you could say she's getting something out of this too--"

"Like you used me."

"No, it's not the same!" Jongin protests quickly, sensing the conversation was about to go awry. "You're different. You were always different. I told you, I love you! Even after all these years, I've never stopped thinking about you. I tried dating other people, but they weren't you and I now that I finally meet you again, I can't bear the thought that...Look, I was never using you. Believe me, it was an understanding. Please believe me."

"You haven't changed at all." Kyungsoo says icily. What a joke, he wants to say. And like that, he's closed himself off again. 

"No," Jongin whispers. "Don't say that. Don't hate me."

As if all the strengh had left him, Jongin slumps over Kyungsoo's tense body, hugging it and resting his head in the crook between Kyungsoo's neck and shoulders. "Please believe me."

Kyungsoo wavers for a split second. Then, finding his resolve again, he firmly pushes Jongin away and walks on.

 

 

 

Around the corner, Chanyeol watched the scene unfold with a frown. He thinks about taking after Kyungsoo, but ultimately decides to turn around.

 

 

***

 

"Chanyeol, you're dripping everywhere again!" Kyungsoo says with profound exasperation. Chanyeol shrugs innocently, "Don't worry about it. It's fine."

"No, it's really not," Kyungsoo insists with a frown. He grabs over Chanyeol's towel, forces him onto the couch, and, standing in front of him, begins to tousle his hair dry. Standing, Kyungsoo is just the perfect height for this task. "I just don't understand why you can't dry your hair after you shower, like a responsible human being," he mutters.

Beneath the towel, Chanyeol hides his triumphant smile. 

Kyungsoo finishes drying a few minutes later and is about to walk away when Chanyeol tugs him hard and he falls in to Chanyeol's lap. With awkward sputters, he tries to extract himself, but he's no match for Chanyeol's long limbs. 

"Chanyeol, what are you doing? Let goo," Kyungsoo whines, pushing away at Chanyeol's chest. Chanyeol only smiles and holds him tighter. Eventually, Kyungsoo gives up and resigns himself to sitting uncomfortably in Chanyeol's arms. He stares at Chanyeol with a question mark on his face. Chanyeol stares back, serious. 

"Kyungsoo, you said we're best friends right?"

"Uh, yeah...but I don't know if I meant I wanted to like sit on you like this and all," Kyungsoo gesticulates to their position with an air of exasperation. "So if you could let go--"

"--So you won't leave me, right?"

Finally catching onto the solemnity of the conversation, Kyungsoo lightly ruffles Chanyeol's hair. "Is something wrong, Yeol?"

"Just answer me."

"Of course I won't leave you! We've been together for so long, I couldn't imagine leaving you." Kyungsoo smiles in what he hopes is in a comforting way. "Did something happen with Dara?" he ventures tentatively.

Chanyeol frowns at this. "There's nothing going on with Dara, I already told you that!"

"Oh... what's the problem then?"

"Nothing. I just...feel like I'm losing you sometimes. Promise me you'll stay. I don't know what I'd do if you tried to leave. Probably something crazy." A pained, forlorn smile on an usually cheerful face. Kyungsoo feels it tugging at his heartstrings. He wraps his arms around Chanyeol's body in a loose hug. "I promise you."

Chanyeol hugs him back, but tighter. They sit like that for a few moments, absorbing each other's body heat, finding respite from man's natural state of loneliness. 

"...Ok, can you let go now. This is really awkward."

 

 

They're sitting on the couch side by side now. Chanyeol's working on a new composition of his, strumming at his guitar one moment and jotting notes down the next. Kyungsoo's halfheartedly trying to read a book--he'd always want to be better-read, but with age, his focus flagged. The TV blarred in the background.

Investigations of the recent spate of pregnancy complications appear to have resulted from a new and evidently defective over-the-counter pregnancy dietary enhancement pill known as BDT. It is manufactured by Wu Di Group, a Chinese company that recently opened a subsidiary in Korea--

Chanyeol, the only one paying any attention to the TV at the moment, stares at it in shock and quickly nudges Kyungsoo. "Hey, isn't BDT and Wu Di Group...your company?"

"...What?"

Wu Di Group is now recalling its products, but it may be too late. Victims are already filing suits as we speak. We may, in fact, be looking at a multi-million dollar class action suit. 

But civil law suits are just the tip of the ice berg. Unlike other drug recalls, government officials have revealed that they harbor suspicious regarding how the drug was approved in the first place. They are now undertaking serious investigations of potential backroom deals that might have facilitated illegal market entry for BDT. If found true, the company may face criminal sanctions. 

Kyungsoo's blinked his large eyes at the TV. The announcer continued speaking in her cold, rational voice, but her voice translated into a disjointed mess in his mind. Investigation. Illegal. Criminal Sanction

He couldn't comprehend.

 

***

 

When Kyungsoo walked into the company, the place seemed enshrouded under a layer of nervous energy. No one spoke of the recalls or the lawsuit with words, but their eyes communicated a very real fear and uncertainty. What would happen to their jobs? Who would take responsibility? 

Kyungsoo couldn't stand it. Instead of heading to his office, he made a beeline for the staircase and began climbing. He wanted to climb until he was out of breath and wheezing and could no longer think about anything.

He pauses when he hears footsteps behind him.

"Kyungsoo!" 

Kyungsoo turns around to see Jongin running up behind him, two stairs at a time until he's on the same step. There, he takes Kyungsoo by the shoulder and lightly but frantically shakes him out of his trance.

"Hey, are you okay?"

Kyungsoo only stares at him with large, unblinking eyes.

"Kyungsoo, talk to me. It's going to be okay!"

Kyungsoo shakes his head slowly at this and pastes on a humorless smile. "No, it's not. Nothing's okay when your corporation's pills kill babies."

"No, you'll be okay, I promise! Look, Lu Han and Sehun and I will make sure you're okay. We're the ones investigating this from the government side."

Kyungsoo's eyes widen a fraction more as he stares at Jongin in wonder. "What? But Kris said--"

"Kris lied. Can you cooperate with us?"

Kyungsoo begins to nod, then he shakes his head again. Tears begin to pool at the corner of his eyes and he rubs them away in frustration. This is ridiculous. He doesn't know who to trust anymore. 

"Kyungsoo," Jongin whispers as he tentatively wraps Kyungsoo into his arms. "Kyungsoo, trust me."

The hug feels familiar. A familiar scent, a familiar warmth, familiar arms, familiar comfort, familiar safety. Against the rhythmic thumps of Jongin's heart, Kyungsoo lets tears fall. 

 

 

I'll trust him one last time.

 

 

***TBC***

 

 

Okay guys, THREE CHAPTERS LEFT! Thanks for reading~we're in the home stretch~~