Meeting of the Minds

Breezing

When Kris finally comes out of the office to call Kyungsoo in, Kyungsoo had already been waiting for 20 minutes. Being a punctual person himself, Kyungsoo was understandably a little peeved as he waited for Kris to finish talking to the balding man in the expensive suit. 

 

"Who was that?" Kyungsoo asks as he settles into his usual chair facing the windows. 

 

"Just our guy in government," Kris mumbles absently as he rummages around his desk drawers. 

 

"We have a guy in government?" Kyungsoo asks skeptically. "What does he do?"

 

"Oh, everyone does. They're just...you know, around to smooth things over." Kris says dismissively. "Ah, found it. Here, for you."

 

Kris presents a small, wooden object to Kyungsoo, who blanches when he sees what it is. An owl. Another ing owl, ridiculously large eyes staring into his own. 

 

"I got it in Hong Kong when I was touring the factory this weekend," Kris says proudly, seemingly unaware of Kyungsoo's bubbling displeasure. "It reminded me of you."

 

I know, Kyungsoo wants to say, you told me the first five times you got me owls. But he keeps quiet and lets out a even-toned "thanks." Kris looks unsure, and asks if he likes it. "Sure. Of course I do."

 

"Well, good. It's cute right?"

 

"...Right. Okay, well, I have the industry reports ready--" Kris's face falls a little, not that Kyungsoo notices, his eyes already trained on his mountain of files, "--Here are the financial projections, and here are the government approval documents, and here are the physician reports, and . . ."

 

***

 

When Kyungsoo first graduated from his third rate college with an accounting degree, the world had been veering on the verge of financial collapse. No one found jobs, certainly not green college grads with no experience, no pedigree, and no connections. 

 

That day was reminiscent of so many others of that hopelessly long summer--another failed interview, another we'll be touch, which really just meant no, not you. Kyungsoo was walking down the boiling hot streets, sweating into his first, moderately priced suit, and agonizing over whether he should continue eating ramen to save money or whether he should eat something more nutritious so he doesn't die a premature death.

 

Ramen it is, he thinks as he rounds the corner. He never expected to be bulldozed over in the next instance by a man sprinting for his life. A giant of a man, whose menacing shadow hovered over his fallen body, eyes glinting like steel, no apology forthcoming. 

 

To be fair, Kris in his usual state was rather dashing, of a gentleman cut. But that day, with his sweat matted hair, his unshaved stubble, his bruised lip and his bleeding forearm, Kris looked like he had just run off the set of a retro mafia movie, ready to draw blood from his next adversary, or die trying. 

 

"Get out of the way," he growled. 

 

Kyungsoo stared at him, wide-eyed with fright. Lightly shell shocked from his fall, he sat there for a few seconds, feeling the need to move as he sensed Kris's frustration, yet strangely frozen. He could hear more footsteps thumping their way, like a stamped or something, and he could hear their shouts--Just you wait, you bastard; We're gonna get you. 

 

Kris could run around him, of course, but he was on unfamiliar terrain. Which path leads to escape and which leads to nowhere--Kris didn't know. Kyungsoo watched his calculating eyes dart this way and that, weighing the consequences. 

 

"It's a dead end that way," Kyungsoo whispered hesitantly when he saw that Kris was about to take off in the wrong direction. "You're on the run right? I know a better hide out."

 

Kris looked down him thoughtfully for a moment. Kyungsoo looked tiny, unthreatening, peering at him with large, round eyes, half expectant, half frightened. 

 

Like a small baby owl, Kris mused to himself with an internal chuckle, not that Kyungsoo would ever know. 

 

They ended up standing side by side in a narrow, semi-concealed alleyway where people threw trash. The chasers, whoever they were, were prowling nearby. Kyungsoo's heart thumped wildly as he listened to their footsteps and their angry shouts. Beside him, Kris tried stood stiffly, trying to stifle his labored breathing.

 

Kyungsoo wasn't sure why he had offered Kris an escape--maybe it was the heat, maybe it was the hunger, or maybe it was because he too knew what it felt like to be hunted. Whatever the reason, he regretted it now, now that he was stuck with the tall stranger who, despite his injuries, looked like he could kill with his bare hands. 

 

"Scared?" Kris asked, voice a whisper tinted with challenge.

 

"N-no. I'm f-fine," Kyungsoo replied shakily. It was a lie--he was terrified. Beside him, Kris's lips quirked upwards just slightly as he took in Kyungsoo's trembling body. They fell silent, waiting. 

 

An eternity later, the footsteps receded. Kyungsoo wiped the sweat off his forehead and breathed a sigh of relief when he was certain the chasers had moved on. He could feel Kris relaxing as well. They were out of danger's way.

 

"O-okay, well, I'm gonna get going. Good luck and all that," Kyungsoo said hurriedly, already beginning to walk away.

 

"Thanks."

 

"No problem, I guess." Kyungsoo turned to give Kris a weak smile. He was almost out of the alley.

 

"You aren't going to ask what just happened?"

 

Air conditioning. Ramen. "Er, no, no. I'd rather not, you know..." Chanyeol, TV, Job applications. Kyungsoo rounded the corner and felt free again. He didn't notice his nametag sticker from the prior interview flutter to the ground. 

 

Behind him, Kris picked up the fallen sticker and read it thoughtfully. "Number twenty-four. Do Kyungsoo." 

 

 

 

 

In all honesty, the incident, though frightening, quickly slipped Kyungsoo's mind. A month later, he received a call from Wu Di Group--we've received your resume and would like to offer an interview. Kyungsoo didn't remember ever applying, but then, he had applied to so many places, it was hard to remember them all. Sure, I'll be there.

 

He did his research quickly--a pharmaceutic company, newly created subsidiary of a Hong Kong corporation, specializes in over the counter drugs and diet supplements--a surprisingly successful interview--you're hired! please report to the 27th floor, the CEO would like to meet with you personally to go over the accounts.

 

The CEO? Kris Wu. Tall, handsome, smartly dressed, a recent transplant from southern China. He spoke with a deep, authortative voice, and was totally intimidating. 

 

"Nice to meet you," Kyungsoo had said on that first meeting in the office as he snuck a glance at the boss. He looked vaguely familiar, this Kris guy, but Kyungsoo had no recollection of when they had ever met.

 

***

 

By the time the meeting wrapped up and Kyungsoo had finished going over all the reports with Kris, it was almost noon. 

 

"So," Kris says. He's sitting on the corner of his desk, long legs stretched to the side, watching Kyungsoo pack up. "I haven't seen you for awhile. Have Lu Han or Jongin ... asked anything out of the ordinary?"

 

Kyungsoo pauses. 

 

I need you to quit your job.

 

"Uh, no. Not that I'm aware of."

 

Kris's eyes narrow, but he doesn't press. "Okay. Let me know if they do."

 

"Sure."

 

"By the way, I'm getting lunch with Tao, you wanna come? You guys are friends right?"

 

Kyungsoo smiles apologetically. "Sorry, I'm meeting a friend. Thanks for asking though. Maybe next time." He gives a quick bow and exits the office. Kyungsoo doesn't notice Kris watching him from his favorite windows on the 27th floor as he walks out of the building into the bright sunlight, where he meets up with Chanyeol.

 

***

 

"You...made this?" 

 

Kyungsoo stares at his lunchbox with some suspicion. The rice looks hard and undercooked, the egg is a little runny, but most disturbingly, he couldn't even identify the brown goopy substance that covered the whole box like a layer of muddy swamp water.

 

"It's curry," Chanyeol supplies helpfully.

 

"Curry." Kyungsoo deadpans.

 

Chanyeol smiles sheepishly. "Sorry, I know it looks nasty, but I think it tastes alright? I mean, I just thought I'd make something for you, you know. Last night seemed kind of rough."

 

It was Kyungsoo turn to look sheepish. "Yeah. Sorry about that. Thanks, though."

 

Actually, Chanyeol was understating things by quite a bit. Last night had been a disaster.

 

 

 

 

By the time Kyungsoo made it home in the pouring rain, he was drenched from head to toe and looked like a drowning cat. Chanyeol, who had heard the front door open, walked out of his room and found Kyungsoo huddled on the couch, looking even smaller than he usually did.

 

"Kyungsoo?" Chanyeol had asked hesistantly.

 

"Hey." Kyungsoo's voice sounded warped, as if something was lodged in his throat. Chanyeol took a few steps closer. "You okay there?"

 

"Yeah." Another muffled response. Chanyeol hovered at the edge of the sofa, uncertain about next steps. For as long as he had known him, Kyungsoo had always been "just fine" -- never like this, never so emotional, never so...vulnerable. Chanyeol's heart ached, but he didn't want to do. That is, what does anyone do when their grown man of a friend has a break down? Hell if Chanyeol knew. He sat down gingerly next to Kyungsoo, watchful and waiting.

 

Moments passed in dark silence as the two man sat side by side, Chanyeol grasping for elusive words of comfort, Kyungsoo trying to hang onto reality. Years of memories flashed before Kyungsoo's eyes unabated, like some horrific slide show on repeat.

 

Kyungsoo, you're so cute!

 

Kyungsoo, I want you. Do you think you're ready? Can I...?

 

Kyungsoo, I think...I love you.

 

Am I in love with him? Don't be stupid. That's gross, dude. Have you seen the way he looks?

 

Laughter. Cruel laughter.

 

Anyway, got him into bed, finally, pay up.

 

Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock. Kyungsoo just wanted to return to the present. He rested his face against Chanyeol's shoulder--finally, something real--"Dont' look," he pleaded softly in his muffled voice. 

 

"Okay." Chanyeol stared blankly in to the darkness as he felt Kyungsoo's tears seep through his cotton t-shirt, wishing he could hurt whoever it was that made his Kyungsoo cry.

 

 

 

 

The previous night seemed a blurry, unreal memory under the cheerful spring sun. They were sitting on the grass at the park nearby, digging into Chanyeol's curry goop, which tasted surprisingly alright.

 

"You don't have to work today?" Kyungsoo asks.

 

"Nope, just finished my last contract, so I get a break. But you know, I just signed for a new gig today--I'll be filming a commercial!" 

 

Kyungsoo paused to stare at Chanyeol in wide eyed wonder.

 

"You? An actor? Wow!"

 

"Ha, yeah. And actually, it's for that department store on the first floor of your office building, you know? They're starting a home shopping channel or something, so I'll be filming there in a couple weeks. I guess you'll be seeing me around more often," Chanyeol says with a cheeky smile.

 

"Wow, that's great."

 

"...Sarcasm?"

 

"No, actually." Kyungsoo grins at Chanyeol, who feels his heart swell with a burst of pride. "Then I can tell people I know a celebrity."

 

"Yup, you sure can."

 

When they finish the curry, Kyungsoo starts to pack methodically while Chanyeol lays back into the grass. A light breeze picks up, and Kyungsoo feels relaxed. More relaxed than he has been for the past few weeks.

 

"But what about you?" Chanyeol asks suddenly. 

 

"What do you mean?"

 

"You doing okay? It's just...well. You haven't exactly been yourself these past few weeks."

 

"Oh." Kyungsoo finishes packing the last tupperware and begins to fiddle with some grass. "Yeah. Everything's fine."

 

"Hmm."

 

"Yeah." A brief pause. "Okay, well, no. There are just some...some things. Or people. People I didn't expect to see again, but I'm working with them now. I used to know them, and I guess I just...in the past, we had some..."

 

Kyungsoo looks hesitantly at Chanyeol, who's waiting patiently with a kind smile, as if prompting him to go on. But could he tell him? Would that somehow link Chanyeol to his turbulent past, when Chanyeol had always so existed only in his present? Chanyeol, a mark of stability, of cheerfulness, of hope, hope for a future divorced from those dark memories he thought he had buried forever.

 

"I don't know," Kyungsoo finishes abruptly. "It's nothing, actually. Just office drama, you know."

 

Chanyeol frowns, but he doesn't push. "Sure. Happens to everyone," he says lightly. "But you know I'm here for you if you ever want to about it or anything."

 

Kyungsoo feels like Chanyeol's been saying that forever, and he feels guilty, because he's not sure he ever does want to talk about it. But he feels relieved nonetheless, relieved that Chanyeol doesn't know, but also relieved that Chanyeol would be there for him if he changes his mind. He lays back on the ground next to Chanyeol and his heart feels light.

 

"Also," Chanyeol continues nonchalantly, "you know that Chinese saying."

 

"You know Chinese sayings?"

 

"Yeah!" Chanyeol replies indignantly. "That one, you know. How there are thirty-six military strategems, but the best solution is sometimes to retreat."

 

"...Er, what?"

 

"Like, if you don't want to face them, those people in your office, you don't have to. It's not cowardly or anything. Sometimes you just don't want to see certain things or remember certain things, and that's okay. You don't have to force yourself to confront them."

 

"Oh..."

 

"Yeah. Sorry, that was kind of lame."

 

"No, not at all." Kyungsoo turns towards Chanyeol and smiles. "Thanks."

 

Chanyeol smiles back and reaches an arm over to gently ruffle Kyungsoo's hair. 

 

***

 

"You've been avoiding us."

 

It's two weeks later that Kyungsoo finds himself cornered in the men's room by Lu Han. He has, in fact, done a marvelous job of getting out of Jongin and Lu Han's way, hiding at his cubicle, or behind Sehun, or even finding protection in Kris. But today, it was just him.

 

He had just finished washing his hands and was staring at himself absently in the mirror when Lu Han ambled up from behind him--where did he even come from--wearing his usual, pleasant smile. Kyungsoo whipped around and stared at the slightly taller man in confusion. Strangely, out of all the guys Kyungsoo interacted with (Kris included), Lu Han, beautifully angelic Lu Han, had always intimidated him the most. He found himself taking a step backwards, until his hip touched the ledge of the sink.

 

"Oh, uh, hey." 

 

"Do you like what you see when you look into the mirror?"

 

"What?" Kyungsoo flinches when Lu Han lifts a hand and his cheek lightly. "You've lost so much weight, you almost look like a different person." Lu Han gives a forlorn smile, different from his usual. Kyungsoo's almost taken aback by the tenderness. Almost. He swats the hand away. 

 

"Did you need to find me?"

 

Lu Han shrugs. "No, I just missed seeing you around, that's all."

 

"Well, now you've seen me," Kyungsoo says in a tight voice. "I need to go, please move."

 

"And what if I don't?" Lu Han steps closer, places his hands on the sink and traps Kyungsoo in his arms. "What will you do now, Soo?" He smiles at Kyungsoo warmly, a smile tinged with nostalgia. 

 

Can I call you Soo? We're friends now too right? You're not just gonna take Jongin and leave me all by myself?

 

Oh, no of course not! I...I mean, I can't believe you would want to be friends with me. Really. 

 

Of course I do. Why wouldn't I, you're so...adorable. 

 

 

Kyungsoo stares at Lu Han, who chuckles lightly. 

 

"Your eyes will be the death of me."

 

Kyungsoo frowns. "Let go, Lu Han. I already told Jongin I'm not playing your games anymore."

 

Lu Han's smile fades a bit. "Jongin and I aren't the same person, you know."

 

"No, you're not. You're far worse."

 

The smile fades completely. 

 

A series of footsteps echo down the hall, and suddenly, it's as if God had extended Kyungsoo a lifeline. 

 

"Kyungsoo?" It's Chanyeol, voice uncertain as he peers in. "Uh. I...I was waiting downstairs, because I just finished filming and wanted to check if you wanted to walk home together, or you know..." Chanyeol's voice trails off as he catches Lu Han staring at him with barely concealed animosity. He stares back with a frown as he slowly realized the compromising position Kyungsoo is put in. He's about to take a step foward when Kyungsoo shoves Lu Han aside and sprints over. 

 

"Yeah, let's go, Chanyeol. I'm ready." Kyungsoo tugs at Chanyeol's arm urgently to catch his attention. "Let's go." 

 

Chanyeol stares at Lu Han a moment longer before allowing Kyungsoo to drag him away.

 

Lu Han leans back against the sink and observes their departure expressionlessly. 

 

***

 

"Come out. I know you're in there."

 

"Of course you do." 

 

Jongin walks out of a stall and joins Lu Han by the sink. Lu Han rolls his eyes. "Only Kyungsoo would be absent minded enough not to notice that there's another human being in here."

 

"Yeah, I guess so." Jongin says tiredly. "You shouldn't have done that."

 

"What?"

 

"Cornered him like that. He's right, you know. He's not a toy that we can play with."

 

"Of course. He was a never a toy. But you know I always go after what I want," Lu Han pauses briefly before casting a smirk at Jongin. "Or would you prefer that he move on with his life and live happily ever after with that cute boy who lives with him now?"

 

Jongin's eyes narrow and there's a flash of anger, but it goes quickly.

 

"Whatever, Han, but I'm not letting you hurt him this time."

 

"hurt him?"

 

"...Kris is out of the office early tomorrow, and I got a hold of his keys."

 

"Ah, finally." Lu Han begins walking out. "I guess this is the beginning of the end." 

 

***TBC***