Day 7

In Heaven

Jaejoong. He was all I could think of as soon as I open my eyes. I quickly get up from my bed and run to his room. When I didn't find him there, I proceed to the nurse's station. But everyone is busy that no one bothers to answer my question about his whereabouts. I run to the garden and was relieved to see him there.

"JAEJOONG!" I shout repeatedly while catching my breath.

He turns to face me and with that I rush towards his arms. I hug him tightly as tears of joy stream down my face

"Told you, I will still be here." He pats my head, full of comfort.

"I thought you were gone. I was so scared." I cry out louder.

"Hush now. You need to relax. Your operation will be in the next few hours. Better get ready." He says softly and kisses my forehead gently.

"I want you to be there. Hold my hand during the operation." I look at him in the eyes and he looks back at mine.

And right at that moment, time seems to stop. We were about to share a kiss, when I hear a familiar voice calling out my name. I was surprised to see my mother walking towards me.

"Why didn't you tell me you were admitted here? I was dead worried when I found out that you were discharged from the hospital already." She squeezes her way between me and Jaejoong, then she hugs me tightly.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to. I just don't want to burden you anymore." I reply with my head bowed down.

"I'm your mother. Stop saying stupid things like that." She lifts my chin then smiles at me. An affectionate smile that takes me back to the past, back when I belong to a happy family.

My parents got divorced when I was in high school. My father became an alcoholic and died from liver cirrhosis. On the other hand, my mother was remarried to a rich businessman who has kids of his own. My stepfather encouraged me to live with them, but I refused. It just hurts me seeing my mother happy with another man, so I lived on my own since then. Feeling guilty and responsible about the turn of events in my life, my mother insisted on shouldering my every financial need which I have no choice but to accept.

"Is he your boyfriend?" My mother asks me as he noticed Jaejoong, so my painful reminiscence stops.

"Mom!" I whine at her nosiness.

"I'm sorry for interrupting your romance with my daughter, but the doctor told me that she needs to go and prepare now." She explains to him.

"No problem, madam." He bows politely to her.

"Oh, just call me mom. We'll be going there soon, right?" She taps his arm gently.

He laughs his hilarious syllabicated laugh once again.

"Let's go mom." I push my mother away from Jaejoong as I watch him control his laughter.

"Don't mind her, she's just joking. See you later." I smile at him before following my mother.

"Hyojoo." I was taken aback when he held my hand. His grip is tight. So tight, like he doesn't want me to go.

I face him then look at his eyes. He looks at me for a while. I can feel that he is trying to say something but he is hesitating.

"Happy birthday." He smiles.

"Thanks." I smile back.

I try to pull my hand back but he holds it tighter. I look at him with puzzled eyes. He just stares back at me intently, that I see my reflection on his eyes. I anticipate his next words.

"I love you." He says softly but sincerely.

"I love you, too." I smile sweetly at him.

He smiles back as he slowly releases my hand. But before I could even take a single step away from him, he suddenly pulls me into a delicate kiss. His lips gently molds against mine, but I can still feel the great depth of his love regardless.

My mother calls out my name which makes me pull away from the kiss, though I never have the intention of doing so at the first place. I open my eyes and see Jaejoong's smiling face. I badly want to kiss him again but my mother calls out to me again, this time louder.

"Coming!" I run to her, then look back at Jaejoong.

He waves his hand while smiling happily at me. I smile back as my heart flutters.
-

"Jaejoong." I smile as I see him holding my hand.

We are now inside the operating room. Though I can only see his eyes because of the mask that he is wearing, I see those eyes smiling back at me. The anesthesiologist cues the start of the operation as he puts a face mask over my nose and mouth. I hold tighter to Jaejoong's hand as my eyes get heavy and my vision of his face gets hazy.

"I'll meet you in your dreams. Don't forget to wake up though, or you won't get my other gift for you." Jaejoong's voice was supposed to be muffled by the mask he is wearing but I clearly heard his every word.

I smile at him before closing my eyes and dive my way towards unconsciousness. Darkness welcomes me and the final sound that I heard was the wheels of gurney turning, being pushed.