Chapter Two

The Mask of The Full Moon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

We Are Bulletproof Pt. 2 - BTS (Bangtan Boys)

After only a few hours of sleep, Jongin went to work with evident dark circles around his eyes. Chief Inspector Lee had no excuse to nag at him since Jongin had arrived to work on time. He was even five minutes early.

Jongin yawned rather loudly and ran his fingers through his uncombed hair. Chief Inspector Lee discretely shot him a dirty look but Jongin didn’t care. He was too tired to care.

Since it was early in the morning, there wasn’t much to do. There would be more mysteries to solve once the sun went down and darkness took over. No criminal would commit a crime in broad daylight with people around unless they had no common sense.

Jongin had many reports to look at but laziness took over his body. He collapsed against the back of his chair and sighed. I better get started otherwise I’ll have to work overtime again, he thought.

Just when he picked up a file, someone called for him. “Inspector Jongin!”

Jongin lifted his head and looked at his hoobae. “Yes?”

The slightly intimidated male respectfully handed over a pile of papers to Jongin, claiming that it was from the boss.

Jongin accepted the papers with a thank you. He opened the folder and there were a bunch of pictures. All the pictures were dark and blurry. The only thing that was evident was a mysterious blob. It seems like a figure, he thought.

Under all the photos, there was a handwritten letter from his boss. Jongin’s face contorted into confusion as he read on. Undercover? Part time job?

Chief Inspector Lee watched Jongin from his desk and smirked to himself. He pushed himself off the chair, walking over to the confused inspector. With a heavy hand rested on the younger one’s shoulder, Chief Inspector Lee cleared his throat. “I thought it would be helpful if one of us kept a close eye on the areas around us. It would help the investigation, wouldn’t it?”

Jongin could hear a hint of mockery in his voice. It was obvious enough that he was only trying to get Jongin to work overtime but he would receive all the credit. Jongin could hear his mind telling him to shut his mouth and accept it but his lips opened subconsciously. “Why do I have to do it?”

Chief Inspector Lee chortled gruffly, “Would it make sense for an old guy to be working part time at a convenience store?”

Jongin had no response. The chief continued, “We already handed in a fake resume. You, of course, were accepted.”

Jongin sighed and tossed the files onto his desk. “When do I start?”

“Now.”

-----

“Are you the new part timer?”

Jongin, who was now dressed in casual clothing, nodded hesitantly. The middle-aged man clapped his hands together, “Great! Now let me show you the basics.”

After a brief explanation, he went back to the back office; probably to doze off while letting his workers do all the work. A small sigh escaped Jongin’s lips as he put the uniform on. The bell on the door rang just as he sat down. Jongin got up and bowed, “Welcome-- Oh?”

Jongin stopped his sentence as he came face to face with a semi-familiar face. It’s her. The girl from yesterday, he thought as he remembered knocking her over.

If she recognized him from yesterday, her face didn’t show it. Ae Sook merely brushed past him and grabbed the other uniform that was hanging on the hook. Jongin realized that she was the other worker in the convenience store. He cleared his throat and held out his hand, “I’m Jongin, the new worker.”

Ae Sook shook his hand once, “Ae Sook.”

Jongin frowned at her cold behavior but didn’t say anything. Nonetheless, Jongin attempted a conversation with her. “What time does your shift end?”

Ae Sook glanced at him before looking away, “Midnight.”

Another frown covered Jongin’s face. He wasn’t amused with her short words. Jongin covered up his displeasure with a bright smile, “Ah, really? That’s when I end, too!”

Ae Sook grunted in response. Jongin’s face fell. He walked towards the other side of the counter and sat down. It was no use trying to converse with someone that didn’t appreciate his efforts.

They both heard the phone ring in the back room followed by a grunt and assumed that their boss woke up from his nap. After barking some orders, he came out while scratching his messy bed hair. “I need you two to run some errands for me. I’ll watch the store.”

Stepping out from the convenience store, Ae Sook shoved her hands in the pockets of her jackets and walked off without waiting for Jongin. The latter opened his mouth to call out to her but quickly decided against it, knowing that she would probably ignore it.

Their boss had ordered them to pick up some boxes from a nearby factory. Jongin didn’t want to go with Ae Sook but he had no choice.

It was an empty neighborhood with a lot of closed down businesses. Jongin made sure to take notice of his surroundings in case he noticed something strange. There weren’t many people on the streets. Even if there was, they were mostly people that were fooling around.

After a long 15 minutes of walking, they finally arrived at the factory. Most of the workers were occupied with something, which was odd because it didn’t seem like they would receive much business in a neighborhood like this.

Ae Sook approached a worker that didn’t appear to be doing anything. “We’re here to pick up some boxes for the convenience store.” The worker reluctantly got up from his seat and went to look for their boxes.

Jongin peered at Ae Sook to see if she was having any trouble with the awkward atmosphere, but she was just standing there with a blank expression. His face fell, why is she so conservative?

The w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter