Chapter One

The Mask of The Full Moon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Mine - Kim Jaejoong

Dark clouds hovered in the sky. There was no source of light except for the flickering light posts and the bright full moon. Trees rustled rowdily as the strong wind blew and the white snow crunched under several footsteps.

One of the many men looked up from the dark red liquid and took a deep breath. He glanced at his colleagues once before taking out a lighter and a cigarette.

“Chief Inspector Lee,” another man called out.

The chief inspector puffed his cigarette. “Jongin’s not here again?”

The younger and lower positioned male confirmed the question with a shake of his head. “What’s his excuse this time?” Chief Inspector Lee questioned.

“It’s unknown. No one can get in touch with him.”

With a nasty snarl, he threw his almost-full cigarette onto the concrete with irritation and grounded on it with the sole of his foot. The flame extinguished from the cold white substance that spread on the ground. The man slowly made his way to the crime scene and bent down once again to inspect the blood stained snow. A deep frown appeared on his face. One of the lower ranks had collected a sample of the blood, even though it wouldn’t be any good because it was mixed with another element, and took pictures for evidence as well.

The detectives treasured data like this because it was one of the rare moments where there was something more than a mere paw print of an unidentified living thing.

The scent of dirt and rotting flowers covered the fragrance of the blood. Chief Inspector Lee had his crew get rid of everything at the crime scene before any citizens could notice.

These mysterious attacks happened for a couple of weeks now and it was a vaguely familiar, yet mystifying thing for everyone. Despite the reoccurrence of disappearing citizens, the investigation crew couldn’t help but to be shaken up about the ‘Beast of Seoul’. No one knew who or what it was but it was enough to have people crawling back in fear.

People questioned about their neighbors that had vanished out of the blue. No matter how hard they tried to get something out of the government workers, they would always reply by claiming that they moved, went on vacation, or some other poorly made up excuse.

No citizen knew about the case of the creature that was attacking innocent people at certain times. The founder of the Department of Authority (DOA), the company that filled with detectives and investigators, argued that the town would turn chaotic and everything would be too disorganized.

Chief Inspector Lee was one of two inspectors that were in charge of this case. His stress level increased every time they failed to make progress. The grey haired man rubbed his chin in thought, this has only been happening for two weeks, who or what is doing this and why?

The pictures taken from the crime scene stared back at him and his eyes traced every inch of the paper repeatedly. This was the only other evidence they had other than a paw print that didn’t even seem to help.

It was a dead end. The kidnapper was either really good at covering its own tracks or this was beyond humanly possible.

A sudden knock intruded the chief’s thoughts as the door clicked open. A handsome male with thick, full lips and dark skin tone entered the room. His lips curved into the smallest smirk as he opened his mouth to speak, “I heard you were looking for me, chief.”

The older male stared at him with no sign of amusement in his eyes. He pointed to the pictures once, and then crossed his arms sternly. “This is not a practical joke, Kim Jongin. Where were you?”

Jongin’s face darkened when he heard his full name. Even if he was only an inspector, he didn’t like it when people addressed him with his whole birth name. He preferred Inspector Jongin. He deserved that title. “I had an emergency.”

“Something’s that’s more important than this?”

“Something I couldn’t skip--“

“Kim Jongin,” the chief inspector stressed every syllable. He looked at Jongin with a stern look. “We all expect you to fulfill your duties and that includes showing up at every case. There’s no excuse for skipping it.”

Jongin had to bite his tongue to prevent himself from lashing out. Why does he assume that he’s in charge just because he’s older? He took a seat next to Chief Inspector Lee to work on the case since they were both in charge of it.

“This happened around 11 at night yesterday.” Chief Inspector Lee informed

His fingers danced over the high quality pictures and pursed his lips. “There were no other traces?”

Jongin got nothing except a nod from the higher ranked man. He was still ticked off about Jongin’s absence yesterday, yet he still had to act in a professional way. “This information is very valuable.”

It’s still not adequate, Jongin thought but didn’t say aloud.

It bothered him to no end, but he was determined to find out what was causing all this chaos and for what reason. “It’ll probably stop soon. It can’t possibly happen every week.” Chief Inspector Lee commented.

If only he knew that something l

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter