Unconditional Light

Unconditional Soul Mates

Baekhyun was woken up for the second time that night by a burning pain in his arm. He tried to sit up, but was met with more pain in his side. Groaning, he flopped back down, his eyes screwed shut, trying to ignore the burning sensation. In front of his mother, he'd put up a brave front, pretending that he wasn't in immense pain. When he was alone though, pretending did him no good; he still would not allow himself to scream though.

Baekhyun’s thoughts drifted back to his mother, he couldn’t help but feel sad every time he thought about her. She definitely knew that he'd been lying about the bullying then, and she would most likely take him out of school, again, and Baekhyun couldn't let that happen. Kyungsoo had been the first friend he'd made in a long time, and even though he wasn't around as much, Baekhyun was happy to have him. Yixing had become as big a part of his life as his own parents; he couldn't just leave Yixing, he needed Yixing.

And Chanyeol… Baekhyun was very confused about Chanyeol, or more specifically how he felt about the other. Baekhyun was sure that he liked Chanyeol, but was that all it was? This feeling was something he'd never felt before though, he knew that much. Chanyeol, however, insisted that he wasn’t good for him, and Baekhyun couldn't figure out how, or why for the life of him. Ever since he'd met Chanyeol, he'd never felt safer; Chanyeol was always there for him, always protecting him, doing everything he could to make sure he was happy… so why wouldn't he be good for him? Baekhyun thought back then, to the strange way that Chanyeol had been acting after Baekhyun had told him of his father's death. At the time, Baekhyun had chalked it up to sympathy, a natural way to react to such news, but what if it hadn't been? Could it have been something like guilt? That's impossible, though, unless, Chanyeol was somehow involved in Baekhyun's father's death.

Baekhyun shook his head, trying to get rid of the ridiculous thoughts. How could Chanyeol possibly be connected? He wasn't a pyromaniac, an arsonist. A laugh was forced out of his throat; Chanyeol wouldn't lie to him, right? He bit his lip to keep from crying out, the pain flaring up in his arm again. It occurred to him to maybe ask for some painkillers, but he dismissed the thought immediately; he'd had enough of painkillers for a lifetime. He closed his eyes, hoping to go back to sleep, but the discomfort from his arm and side were too much to be simply ignored. Groaning in frustration, Baekhyun turned so that he was lying on his right side, but that made no difference. He sighed and to his back again, his eyes finding their way up to the stark white hospital ceiling, and just stayed there; it was going to be a very long night.

 

"You have to believe me, Baekhyun-ah!" Yixing was yelling, his voice high and squeaky. "I swear that I saw Park Chanyeol setting that building on fire!"

Baekhyun had been home all of two hours before Yixing barged into his apartment, yelling like a madman.

"Don't be ridiculous, Yixing hyung," Baekhyun replied, dismissing Yixing's accusations. "I know you don't like Chanyeol, but you don’t have to make him out to be the bad guy.."

"…When did you start distrusting me?" Baekhyun froze at the words, turning to look at Yixing, noticing how sad the other’s eyes looked. "When have I ever lied to you?"

"I… of course I trust you…" Baekhyun whispered, his heart clinching at the words. "I trust you with my life…"

"Really?" Yixing's voice was low. "Because I certainly trust you with mine."

"I swear…" Baekhyun trailed off though, trying to figure out if his feelings towards Yixing had changed, "Really…" Except at this point, he was no longer sure if he was trying to convince Yixing or himself.

"You never even told me your father died." Baekhyun swallowed audibly, suddenly feeling rather uncomfortable. “You also never told me you were the hospital! Your mother had to tell me. Why didn’t you tell me?

Baekhyun opened his mouth to reply, but then closed it again because he couldn’t find the right words.

"When did you start keeping secrets from me, Baekhyun?" Yixing asked. "When did I start meaning so little to you? This is all because of Chanyeol, isn't it?"

"I…" Baekhyun was at a complete loss. “I’m sorry…”

"You know what? Never mind." Yixing stood up, a frown on his face. "It's good to know that I'm not as important to you as you are to me."

"Yixing hyung, wait!" Baekhyun reached out with his right hand, grabbing Yixing's wrist, trying to ignore the pain he felt when he stretched it. "Please… I need to tell you something…"

"…Fine," Yixing stayed standing, not even turning to look at him. "Just say it…"

"I… I think I like Chanyeol," Baekhyun blurted out. "In that way…"

"You… what?" That got Yixing's attention as he finally turned back around to face him. "Are you sure?"

"I'm not, but he makes me feel that way that you had described when I had asked you about love…" Baekhyun let his arm drop back to his side; it was aching already. "He makes me feel… special."

Yixing looked concerned as he kneeled down in front of Baekhyun, like the earlier conversation hadn't happen. "How much do you really know about him?"

"He's kind to me," Baekhyun said, pursing his lips. "I know that he makes me feel safe, wanted, loved. I don't know that much about his past yet, but I'm sure it won't change anything."

"Even if he's the one setting those fires, the one who killed your father?"

"…I," Baekhyun hesitated, unsure, yet so completely certain. "Maybe not even that would change my mind…"

"I think you need to talk to him…" Yixing looked five years older all of a sudden, and Baekhyun felt guilty. "At least before you fall in love, before it's too late."

Maybe it already is… Baekhyun thought, but physically, he could only nod, before giving Yixing's hands a reassuring squeeze. I think I’m already in love.

 

The next day, he tore his stitches open from overexertion. At least, that's what the doctor said, but really Baekhyun had just been trying to do things by himself again, to not burden his mother. That obviously hadn't worked out though, all that had led to was another trip to the hospital, and strict instructions to not move around too much; Baekhyun felt useless.

 

"Baekhyun-ah," Baekhyun looked at his mother as she sat down next to him on the couch, her face serious. "Can I talk to you?"

"Of course," Worried, Baekhyun turned the TV off, focusing his attention on her. "Something wrong?"

"I want to pull you out of school," His mother began, raising a hand when Baekhyun opened his mouth to protest. "After this last incident, with your arm, and the fact that you almost bled to death… I just don't want you to be in harm's way any longer. I'm so worried about you, Baekhyun-ah."

"Mom, I understand your concern…" Baekhyun began slowly, trying to form some sort of coherent argument in his head. "I finally have friends, though, and I've never felt safer. I just need to be careful…"

"Friends?" His mother raised an eyebrow and frowned. "Like that Chanyeol?"

"Mom…" He trailed off, not liking where this was going.

"I met him the other day," She sounded almost angry as she crossed her arms in front of her chest. "He came into your room, covered in blood, messy hair, torn clothes, not at all respectable. I bet he's a troublemaker, and I want you to stay away from him. If he's the only reason that you want to stay in school, then you better come up with something better."

"Mom, I-"

"Don't argue with me!" Baekhyun had no idea his mother was so opposed to the idea of Chanyeol. "I am your mother and I know what's best for you."

"You don't know him at all!" Baekhyun exclaimed, feeling the need to defend Chanyeol. "Park Chanyeol is the kindest person I have ever met, and he makes me feel so safe… he's my friend, mom, but at the same time… he's almost more than that."

Baekhyun froze, covering his mouth with his hands, hoping his mom wouldn't be able to figure out what he meant by that.

"He is your friend," His mother's voice was softer now, but her eyes were still hard. "And I could see that he deeply cares for you, but I can't allow this. He'll just hurt you, I know it."

"Why does everyone say that?" Baekhyun yelled, standing up. "Does no one have any faith in him but me?"

"And what do you think?"

Baekhyun sighed. "I believe in him, I believe that he's a good person, but Yixing, and now you keep trying to convince me he's the bad guy, and I just don't see it… I don't know what to think anymore, to be honest."

"…Darling," His mother stood up as well, placing a comforting hand on his shoulder. "Maybe you just need some time to organize your thoughts. We can talk about you staying in school later."

So he went out for a walk, his arm aching, his side throbbing, and his mind reeling.

Baekhyun had never felt so alone. He didn't think he could face Chanyeol after that not quite thought out confession, and Yixing was most likely busy… that left Kyungsoo, but he hadn't spoken to Kyungsoo in awhile. Maybe he should try calling him. Pulling his phone out of his pocket, he dialed Kyungsoo's number before pressing it to his ear. It rang, once, twice, three times, and went to voice mail.

"Hey, Soo, it's Baek," He said, when prompted to leave a message. "Um, just haven't seen you in awhile and wondering how you are. Call me back when you have time, I guess. Bye."

Baekhyun continued to walk, and eventually finding himself in that same alleyway. Walking to the end, he found that it was still stained with blood. It took a second for him to really process the sight, and then he felt sick, flashbacks flooding his still fragile mind. Collapsing against the wall, he threw up everything in his stomach. That was his blood on the ground, and he could still see so much of it. Subconsciously, his left hand moved to gently run over his right, thinking about the scaring that cut was going to leave. He'd needed over two hundred stitches, and he'd lost the use of his pinky… It was just uselessly dangling there now; he might as well just cut it off. Of course, he wasn't going to do that, he was much too cowardly.

Pushing himself back into a standing position, he forced himself to move, and stumbled out of the alleyway. Having been bullied so much, Baekhyun thought he would be numb to this by now, the sight of his own blood, the memories, the name calling, the beatings; he had been for awhile, but all of a sudden, he was extremely sensitive to all of it again. He didn't understand. His fingers skimmed over his phone as he continued to walk, trying to think of somewhere, anywhere he could go besides his own apartment. He just wasn't ready to go back yet. So Baekhyun called Chanyeol, his fingers dialing the number like it was the most natural thing in the world.

"Chanyeol-ah," Baekhyun spoke softly, after Chanyeol had answered, leaning back against the nearest wall. "Hi…"

"Hey…" Chanyeol sounded hesitant, and Baekhyun couldn't blame him. "Everything okay?"

"I… had a minor argument with my mother," Baekhyun replied, staring at his feet. "And I have nowhere to go…"

"You… want to come stay with me?" Chanyeol's voice betrayed a hint of eagerness, but also panic. "I mean, you're welcome to, I live alone…"

"Would you mind? I mean I know what I said to you last time was a bit out of the blue, and I'm sorry… I can help you with chores, and I'm sorry if I made things awkward between us. You're so-"

"Shh, Baekhyun-ah, it's okay," Chanyeol assured him. "You can come stay with me, I don't mind. Where are you? I'll pick you up."

 

"I apologise for the mess," Chanyeol yelled over his shoulder as he tossed the keys aside. "I wasn't expecting guests so…"

"It's fine," Baekhyun smiled, taking in the small but cozy apartment. "It feels… comfortable."

Chanyeol didn't have much. There was an old couch, a small TV, a desk with a computer, papers and clothes strewn everywhere, and a light above his head that kept flickering on and off; Baekhyun found it all rather homely and endearing.

"Make yourself at home," Chanyeol told him, as he picked up some clothing off the floor. "I'll just be a bit…"

Baekhyun simply nodded before sitting down on the couch, and was surprised to find that it was quite comfortable.

"Chanyeol-ah… how long have you been living alone?" Baekhyun asked, struck by just how little he knew about the one he claimed to be falling in love with.

There was silence for a while as Chanyeol continued to pick up his clothes, and Baekhyun was afraid that Chanyeol hadn't heard him, when he finally replied. "About… two years now…"

"Oh," Baekhyun nodded, not finding this too surprising. "Um… what about your parents?"

"Hey, are you hungry?" Chanyeol changed the subject all of a sudden, and Baekhyun was surprised, to say the least. "I can make us something, or we can order takeout…"

"Chanyeol-ah," Baekhyun stood up and placed a gentle hand upon Chanyeol's shoulder. "Are they…?" He trailed off, more than sure Chanyeol knew what he was asking.

More awkward silence as Chanyeol just stood there, his arms full of clothes, his eyes looking anywhere but at Baekhyun. And Baekhyun almost didn't expect an answer; Chanyeol’s silence was already answer enough. Eventually, though, he nodded, a very stiff and subtle nod that Baekhyun almost missed.

"I'm so sorry…" Baekhyun said softly, giving Chanyeol’s shoulder a reassuring squeeze. "I'm sorry for asking."

"It's been four years… I'm okay now, for the most part," Chanyeol offered a somewhat forced smile, and Baekhyun smiled back. “And it’s fine, you didn’t know.”

He watched as Chanyeol left the room again before moving back to his seat, trying not to think about his father.

"Hey, maybe you should call your mom and let her know you're safe." Chanyeol suggested as he reentered the room. "She's probably worried."

Baekhyun gave a mute nod as he pulled his phone out of his pocket; he had no idea what to tell her.

"I'm going to go take a quick shower."

Watching Chanyeol's retreating figure, Baekhyun was suddenly all too aware of the muscles on his back that were quite visible even through his shirt; he’d never noticed how attractive Chanyeol was. He tore his gaze away before finally dialing his number. As it began ringing, Baekhyun got up and went on to the balcony, closing the door behind him.

"Please don't pick up, please don't pick up…" Baekhyun prayed as the phone continued to ring. It would be easier to leave a message, and not have to speak to his mother.

"Hello?" No such luck.

"Mom, it's me."

"Baekhyun-ah!" His mother exclaimed. "Where are you?"

"I'm at uh… Yixing's place…" Baekhyun mentally smacked himself for the lie; his mother wasn't going to believe that.

"Don't lie to me," Her voice was lower now. "I just called Yixing, and he told me he had no idea where you were. I think he would have mentioned if you were there."

.

"I'm… I'm at Chanyeol's." He reluctantly admitted, not wanting to lie to his mother anymore. "I probably won't go home to-"

"Byun Baekhyun, you come home this very moment!" She yelled, and Baekhyun winced as he moved the phone away from his ear. "Or I swear I will call the police and tell them you were kidnapped!"

Baekhyun was at a loss for words, his mouth slowly closing and opening like a fish out of water as he tried to find something to say. He just didn't understand why his mother disliked Chanyeol so much.

"Mom…"

There was a tense silence before she finally spoke again, her voice softer. "He's going to hurt you, Baekhyun-ah… I just know it."

"Just for tonight, mom, I promise…" Baekhyun pleaded, a hand gripping the railing. "First thing tomorrow morning, I'll go home."

"…I just don't want to lose you too." And then she hung up, no more words, not even a goodbye.

Baekhyun stared at the phone numbly for a good minute before going back inside. His phone was slid back into his pocket before he looked up to see Chanyeol looking at him, concerned. "Are you okay?"

Baekhyun thought about the question for a moment, because he wasn't okay, and he probably wouldn't be for a long time. Instead though, he didn't say that, instead he said: "I can stay." Except even as the words left his mouth, he wasn't completely sure that was true; his mother hadn't agreed, but she hadn't disagreed.

"Is that bad?" Chanyeol asked, his head tilting to the side in confusion. "Why do you look so upset?"

"Oh, just uh… my arm's been bothering me," Baekhyun said quickly, and it was true, but that wasn't what was upsetting him at that moment in time. "It's fine."

"Oh… I'm sorry about your arm…"

"It's fine," Baekhyun replied as he subconsciously ran a hand over the bandages. "It's not your fault."

The look that crossed Chanyeol's face then was the same as the one that had crossed his face when Baekhyun had told him about his father's death, a cross between guilt and pain. Eventually, Chanyeol nodded mutely, like he no longer had anything to say. Slightly concerned, Baekhyun sat down on the couch again, before motioning for Chanyeol to join him, which he did so, after a pause. Yixing's words were still ringing in his head, that Chanyeol was the one setting the buildings on fire, that Chanyeol was responsible for his father's death… Baekhyun didn't want to believe it, but he wanted to be sure.

"Chanyeol-ah…" He began reluctantly, folding his hands in his lap. "Yixing said that… he saw you setting a building on fire… is he telling the truth?"

There was silence, and Baekhyun turned to look at him, noticing that Chanyeol had paled considerably, and he was frozen. But then he relaxed, just a little bit, his expression serious. "Yes, he did see me…"

Baekhyun pursed his lips, deciding to just press on. "So you're really the arsonist that the police are looking for?"

"Pyromaniac…" Chanyeol replied. "I just like fire…"

"And you…" Baekhyun swallowed, suddenly finding his throat very dry. "And you… killed my father?"

"I…" Chanyeol looked like a child that had been caught doing something terrible as he looked down at his feet. "Yes, I'm responsible for your father's death."

For some reason, though, Baekhyun found that he didn't believe him. He sat back, his eyes still on Chanyeol.

"Are you lying to me?" Baekhyun said. "You and Yixing are both playing some sort of practical joke on me, aren't you?"

"You don't believe me?" Chanyeol looked surprised as he shifted a little closer to Baekhyun.

"No, I don't think you're that kind of person," Baekhyun smiled as Chanyeol pulled him into a one-armed hug. "You're kind, gentle, and just beautiful… I honestly don't believe you could ever hurt me, and you're definitely not a bad person." Chanyeol pressed a kiss to Baekhyun's forehead, before wrapping his other arm around him as well. "I mean, if Yixing had really seen you, why hadn't he called the police?"

"He said he wouldn't for your sake." Baekhyun shivered at the pleasant sensations Chanyeol's voice sent down his spine, not quite taking in what was said.

"Can you say that again?" Baekhyun whispered, breathing in Chanyeol's scent, a mix between smoke, and cinnamon

"He gave me a warning, said he wouldn't call the police for your sake, this time."

"I don't believe that," Baekhyun was a little shocked by his own words, once again wondering when he had stopped trusting Yixing wholeheartedly. "If he'd really seen you, he would have called the police without hesitation. He wouldn't really do anything for my sake, especially turning a blind eye to someone doing something illegal."

"You really don't think…" Chanyeol trailed off, his voice a little shaky. "You really believe…"

"Yes, I truly believe that you aren't the one setting those fires."

Baekhyun was surprised when Chanyeol lifted his chin and kissed him, but he didn't hesitate to return it, relishing in this feeling. The last time he'd kissed Chanyeol, it had been rushed, and unreturned. This time Baekhyun was going to savour it. Chanyeol pulled away first, panting a little, his eyes bright.

"I… think I like you too, Baekhyun-ah," Chanyeol told him sincerely, pressing their foreheads together. "But I don't think we should be together."

"…Why not?" Baekhyun was trying not to sound hurt, trying to understand Chanyeol's reasoning, but he just couldn't.

"Because I care about you too much," Chanyeol's eyes were lowered, like he couldn't quite face Baekhyun. "Because you deserve better… and because no one would approve of this."

"I care about you too, far more than I ever thought possible," Baekhyun replied. "I honestly don't believe I can find anyone better, and I don't care about what anyone else thinks…"

Even as he said this though, he could feel the disapproving looks from his mother and Yixing, as well as the words they would be saying to him, to convince him otherwise. Baekhyun quickly tried to get the thoughts out of his head; the only person that he wanted, the person that mattered above all else was Chanyeol. And as he pressed another soft kiss to Chanyeol's lips, he knew he couldn't just let this opportunity slip by.

"Please, Chanyeol-ah," Baekhyun said, running a hand through Chanyeol's unruly hair. "Give me a chance, give us a chance."

There was a long stretch of awkward silence, which was still strangely comfortable, during which Baekhyun found himself desperately wishing he knew what Chanyeol was thinking about. He pulled back slightly, staring at Chanyeol, watching the other chew on his bottom lip, clearly conflicted. Finally though, Chanyeol sighed, and reached out to take one of Baekhyun's hands.

"Okay," Baekhyun smiled as his hand was squeezed gently. "Just please don't tell anyone yet…"

"Of course, Chanyeol-ah," Baekhyun couldn't quite describe what he was feeling at that moment, it was just a moment of inexplicable happiness. "This is just between you and I."

 

Baekhyun was woken up at some point by a loud bang, and a string of soft curses. He was going to get up, to check on Chanyeol, but then he heard the front door opening.

He probably just needs some air, Baekhyun thought, closing his eyes. His sleep-muddled brain was too tired to find this anything but normal, and he had no idea what time it was. So he drifted off to sleep again, and was deeply unconscious by the time sirens filled the night air, loud and deafening.

 

“Baekhyun-ah,” Baekhyun flinched at his mother’s voice, having not been expecting it. “Tell me the truth.”

For two days, Baekhyun had been home from Chanyeol’s house, and he and his mother hadn’t spoken since that phone call. Needless to say, he was a little worried about what she wanted to talk about. He looked up from his arm, where he had been peeling the bandages off and staring at the healing wound; it was almost impressive, but more so disgusting.

“About what?” Baekhyun asked, hoping she didn’t want to ask about Chanyeol.

“The bullying,” His mother said softly, and Baekhyun released a breath he hadn’t realized he’d been holding. She sat down next to him, her gaze landing upon his arm sadly. “I know you’ve been lying to me about it. I’ve seen the bruises, and the cuts, the sadness and hurt in your eyes, and I’ve chosen to turn a blind eye all this time because I could see how much you wanted a normal life. But I can’t anymore… there’s no way I can just let this continue.”

Baekhyun nodded, understanding where she was coming from. He’d been thinking about it since the last time she’d brought it up, and he had decided that she was right, and that she deserved to know the whole truth.

“It’s been the worst it’s ever been,” He admitted reluctantly, picking at his bandages again. “It been the same three people since the first day, and almost every day, they did this to me…” He lowered his voice intentionally, his eyes still on his arm as a finger slowly trailed down the bandages. “Yixing, Kyungsoo, and Chanyeol…” Chanyeol’s name came out as a content sigh. “They’ve really helped me adjust, and for the first time in my life, I feel like I actually belong somewhere. I hated moving, I hated leaving everything I knew behind… All I wanted was to have friends, to maybe even find love.”

His mother pulled her into his arms, holding him tightly. Baekhyun almost smiled as she ran a hand through his hair comfortingly. He still couldn’t tell her everything though, not about the names they called him, or the full extent of how much they had hurt him and his friends. From the way she was still holding him though, he had a feeling that she already knew, in that way that mothers just seemed to know.

“You know I can’t let you stay there, right?” She murmured as she placed a soft kiss upon the crown of his head. “I won’t stand by and watch you be hurt anymore.”

“I understand, mom,” He replied, and he did, he knew his mother was right; he no longer wanted to be hurt either. “Can we not move anymore though? I would like to stay here, in this city…” Stay with Chanyeol, but he didn’t say that out loud.

“Of course,” His mother agreed readily, a hand slowly running through his hair. “I didn’t enjoy moving either, you know? But for you, I was willing. How about I find you a tutor?”

“Thanks, mom,” Baekhyun smiled, leaning into his mother’s touch. “I love you.”

“I love you too, baby,” She said, placing a kiss upon his forehead before getting up. “I’m going to call the school, and then I have to go to work. Will you be okay on your own?”

“I’ll be fine, mom,” Baekhyun grinned, trying to reassure her. “I promise.”

 

About an hour after his mother left the apartment, Baekhyun left too, the only thing on his mind was Chanyeol, and to feel that joy he only felt with Chanyeol. The sun was already setting outside, and the slight breeze made it quite comfortable. He walked until he no longer recognized where he was, and then he started looking for familiar landmarks. Just when he was sure the he was lost, he saw Chanyeol walking right by him. Grinning, he started waving, and was about call out to him when he noticed that Chanyeol looked quite nervous. He was looking from side to side frantically, but he didn’t see Baekhyun at all, his mind obviously preoccupied, a small bottle of a clear liquid in his hands. And then Chanyeol was rushing away like he was being chased. Baekhyun stared after him for a couple of seconds before beginning to follow him, curiosity overshadowing common sense.

Chanyeol stopped in front of a small building, and Baekhyun watched, confused, as he splashed whatever was in the bottle on to the building. Confusion became shock and horror when a match was lit, tossed at the covered surface, and a fire roared to life. The bright flames were almost blinding as Baekhyun moved closer to the burning building, ignoring everything except for his need for answers.

“So you really were telling the truth…” Chanyeol’s head turned away from the flames slowly, and what had been fascination became fear and guilt, which eventually just became sadness and distress. “I chose not to listen, I chose to believe in you. I’m such an idiot.”

“Baekhyun-ah…” Chanyeol’s voice was barely audible over the fire; the reds and oranges reflecting across his face made his features look sharp, and almost threatening. “I’m sorry.”

“So Yixing was telling the truth,” Baekhyun continued, slowly rocking back on his heels, like Chanyeol hadn’t just spoken. “I can’t believe I doubted him, that I trusted your word over his.  I thought you were better than this.  Just… tell me why.”

“I can’t help it anymore,” Chanyeol’s voice was sad, and Baekhyun had to move closer in order to hear him. “It helps me cope…”

"You killed my father!" Baekhyun yelled, stomping angrily towards Chanyeol until a hand was grasping Chanyeol's shirt tightly. "You left my mother a widow! Do you know how hard she's been working just to take care of me? To cover my hospital fees… my arm…" Baekhyun realised, with alarm, that Chanyeol had been right all along, that he was bad for him, that he would hurt him; he'd just been too blind to notice. "You're a bad person… You've really done nothing but hurt me…"

"I know…" Chanyeol's head was bowed, his arms dangling uselessly, and the fire growing larger in the background. "Nothing I say would help… but I'm still so sorry…"

"I can't believe I asked my mom to stay in this city," Baekhyun yelled, getting visibly more upset by the minute. "To stay for you…"

Angry tears were now streaming down his cheeks, his hand falling limply down to his side. He was at a complete loss, he felt so betrayed, so lonely… like nothing had ever changed. A small piece of debris fell by his foot, but Baekhyun paid it no mind until more fell, and that was when he knew the wall was going to collapse right on top of them, that it was already falling.

"Chanyeol-ah, watch out!"

And then he was pushing Chanyeol out of the way, his body acting instinctually. At that moment, the only one that he could see was the Chanyeol he had fallen in love with, and no matter what, he wanted no harm to ever befall Chanyeol. Baekhyun was so unconditionally in love that he was willing to forget all of the bad things the second the other was in danger. So as Chanyeol stumbled back, and fell, the last things Baekhyun could remember were the look of absolutely shock in Chanyeol’s eyes, and the scream of horror that left Chanyeol’s lips in the form of his name, before the wall crushed him.

 

End of chapter 6

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Fairly long chapter, and I'm sorry about the cliffhanger... um... I'm also sorry about where this is going, and I hope you guys don't hate me... ^_^;;;

Thank you so much for all the people that subscribed to, commented on, upvoted, and just taken the time to read this fic, it really means the word to me, and I hope this fic is living up to your expectations and standards.

So until the next chapter... probably also two weeks.