She's not me

Untouchable: Closed off from Love

You and your sister Sera have always been best friends since the day you were born. She was a year older than you and your greatest role model. She has great personality, beaming with positivity and kindness. She was talented in fine arts such as painting, drawing, and music. Being a prodigy in art, she participated in numerous competitions and always recieved awards of distinction. On top of that, she was beautiful. With medium-long dark brown hair, clear skin, and a slim body with all the right curves, everywhere she went, she attracted attention yet she was down to earth and always cared for those around her. She had plenty of friends due to her warm and outgoing personality which captivated males and females. She was loved as she had every right to be. 

In other words, she was the complete opposite of you.

jin+se+yun.jpg

Born to the same parents, you were not nearly as gifted as her in terms of grace, beauty, and elegance. You were much more introverted, preferring to keep to yourself-a wall flower. You did not have the same artistic talents as her but you were smart, studious, and talented in other areas such as dance. Unlike your sister with a feminine frame and lovely personality, you were tall and curvier than most girls your age,  with long black hair and blemished skin. You have always loved the fine arts however your skills were always inferior to that of your sister so you quit at a young age in the hopes of looking for an alternative hobby. Growing up you never really had a lot of friends, you were different from the other kids at school. You preferred having very few close friends for long periods of time. Since the 5th grade, you had the same best friend, Narae. She was the second closest person to you after your sister Sera and you two grew up together until the start of high school. You and Narae parted ways after she transferred to a different high school after her freshman year as her family moved to the suburbs to be closer to her aging grandparents. She was still relatively close-by, living 40 mins away from her old home but nevertheless, you were alone again. 

 

____________________________________________________________________________

 

It was the start of your sophmore year at J.Y. Arts Academy, one of the top high schools in the city renowned for its distinguished Arts department and academics. You could not sleep the night before as this year would be something new, you would go to school without your bestfriend Narae for the first time in 5 years. You never particularly hated to be alone, you were used to it but you stilled missed her presence. 

"Aerin! Wake up, it's time for school! You're not going to be able to enjoy the breakfast I made for you! I made pancakes, homefries, and fruit salad." Sera chirped. 

You were still groggy and wanted to continue to sleep but you hated to be late for school. 

"Okay, okay Sera, let me sleep for 5 more minutes" you said. 

"Aerin, I know you won't be able to get up even after 5 minutes or an hour for that matter!" 

She pulled the covers off the bed and your body was hit with a cool draft which made you shiver. You slowly forced yourself to get up from your soft bed and made your way into the bathroom to take a shower. 

"Aerin, I ironed your uniform this morning. I'm going to leave it on your bed okay?" she said through the bathroom door 

"Got it, thanks unnie!" you replied. 

You put your wet hair up in a towel turban as you began to apply light makeup, some concealer, eyeliner, mascara, and tinted lip balm. You looked tired, but you thought about putting some effort today since it was the first day of school. You quickly blow-dried your hair and slipped on your uniform which was a navy blue blazer with the school's crest over your cream sweater and plaid skirt. You made your way downstairs and into the kitchen where you greeted by your parents. 

Spring-and-autumn-blazer-font-b-school-b

"Well good morning sweetie" said your Dad with a cup of hot coffee in his hand. 

"Have a good sleep? Did you pack all of your things for school?" he asked.

"I couldn't sleep, I was too anxious" I replied. 

"Sera cooked us a feast this morning, grab a plate and sit down honey" said Mom. 

The kitchen table looked like a buffet with croissants, pancakes, fruit salad, potatoes, and hot chocolate. Your mom and dad worked full time, so it was usually Sera who did most of the housework. As usual, she was great at it and her skills in the kitchen was not a joking matter. I was blessed to have such a caring family and especially such a great sister like Sera.

Little did you know, this warm feeling with the whole family in the kitchen sharing a meal together would only remain as a precious memory.  

 

__________________________________________________________________

SIDENOTE: Imagine Sera's character to be feminine/mature like actress Jin Se Yeon and Narae, your bestfriend to be Min from Miss A