Wandering

Untouchable: Closed off from Love

When you got home, you had a full blown argument between your parents. They recieved word from the disciplinary principal Ms. Baek about what had transpired during lunch and needless to say, they were less than thrilled. You tried to explain but they were just not having it. Not only did they think the school had called the wrong household, but they also learned that this conflict involved Sera and Seolhyun. They were disappointed in you and you were grounded for a week. Your allowance was cut to only 10,000W that week and you had to hand over your cellphone when you got home from school. You quietly accepted your punishment. You knew it wasn't fair and that no one knew the full story except for Seolhyun but you also knew that there was no point in explaining yourself. 

You skipped out on dinner and went directly into your room. You avoided all contact with Sera, averting your gaze and just simply ignoring her when she tried to talk to you. You went to take a long, warm shower to try and relax yourself and to suppress your anger. You turned off the lights in your room and tucked into bed with your textbooks. You wanted to avoid going to bed as much as possible because you knew it was going to be a sleepless night. Since you skipped out on class, you had some catching up to do. You drowned out all your thoughts about Sera, Seolhyun, and Mark, trying to focus on your reading. 

You stayed up all night, reading and reading until you were almost 3 chapters ahead in each subject. Your suspension was in effect tomorrow but you refused to stay at home. You needed time to cool-off and just some space away from the world. You left the house early in the morning and left a note on the kitchen table telling your parents where you were. You also left your cellphone there too, because for one, you were in no mood to talk to anyone, and secondly, you were determined to not let the punishment your parents set out affect you. You stuffed your backpack with some books, your laptop, and some snacks since you had no money for lunch. You were mentally and physically drained. You had no where to go, but to wander the neighbourhood and to wait for the shops to open. You tried to kill time at the park for half and hour before heading to the library to spend the rest of your day. You had a reflection letter to write and homework to catch up on for the days you missed. It was now 8:00pm and you were certain your parents were wondering where you were. You didn't want to go home but you definitely didn't want extended punishment. 

Dinner time had already passed, and you were famished. You let yourself into the house and quietly greeted your parents before heading to your room. You took a shower and changed your clothes. You went back down stairs to grab some food and opted for some instant cup noodles. You heard someone come down the stairs, it was Sera. You ignored her and continue to eat your noodles. 

"Hey Aerin, can we talk for a bit?" she said 

"I think I've heard enough today" you replied 

"I..I..sorry..for slapping you like that" "I don't know what came over me to hit you like that and I'm really sorry." 

"I think we're past the point of apologizing don't you think?" you said as you moved your food to the kitchen table. You knew Sera was apologizing whole-heartedly but you just couldn't bring yourself to forgive her, at least not yet anyways.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

There were two more days left in your suspension but you didn't want to just go about aimlessly like today. You needed someone to talk to, someone to vent to and to let out your frustration with this whole situation. There is no better person than your best friend Narae, although she moved to a neighouring town and transfered to a different school, she is the only person you could count on in times like this. 

"Hello? YAH KWON AERIN! WHY ARE YOU CALLING ME THIS LATE ON A SCHOOL-NIGHT. YOU SHOULD BE LUCKY I EVEN ANSWERED YOUR CALL" 

"Hey Narae, sorry, but I just really need someone to talk to. IT'S A DRAMATIC STORY OKAY." 

"Well, well, you should've mentioned that earlier, so what's up? What's got you calling me at 11pm and disturbing me from my precious sleep? This better be good Aerin-ah" 

You spent the next hour talking to her on the phone, only discussing the most important details and leaving the rest for another time. You knew it was an inconvenient time so you minimized the ranting. 

"Aerin-ah, come over to my place. I wouldn't be able to stay at your house if I were you. You need to get away from the bustling streets of Seoul, girl gossip, and J.Y. Arts Academy. Come over tomorrow on bus route 73, I'll pick you up at the station at around 4:00p.m. and you know what, stay the night!" 

You woke up the next morning at around 10:00 am, when everyone had already left the house. You got ready and went downstairs to grab some food. You only had 10,000W so you knew that would be barely enough to get you to Narae's house. You rummaged around your room to look for some money, checking pant pockets and bags. You managed to find 15,000W, leftover money from your previous allowance and some spare change. You packed large tote with a change of clothes and some other personal items for your trip. You called your parents to let them know you would be visiting Narae. They didn't approve of the sudden trip but they probably knew that little could be done to stop you. 

Instead of just spending one night over at Narae's, you spent both nights there. You needed time to cool off and there was nothing better than to spend it with your best friend. You two catched up on everything, including your one-sided love for Mark and ranted about Seolhyun's two-faced personality. 

"OH THAT GIZIBE SEOLHYUN, IF I COULD ONLY YANK HER HAIR OUT AND REALLY POUR SOME HOT COFFEE ON HER" said Narae 

"You're just about the only person who can see through her B.S." you said while laughing.

"So what about this Mark guy? He's dating Sera and all, isn't it uncomfortable to see them all chummy?" she asked. 

"I..I don't know what to think. It's Sera after all, he would be a fool to not fall in love with her" you replied while staring at the ceiling. 

___________________________________________________________________________________

On your first day back to school, you felt heated stares from your school mates. Everyone was whispering in hushed tones about what had happened, but you had no idea that it would be this bad. You figured people would get over it in the last few days, but clearly not. You arrived to your first period class and sat in your seat, organizing your books while putting in your earphones in an attempt to drown out the noise. A few girls came up to you but you didn't notice until they knocked on your desk and shook you rather roughly. 

"Kwon Aerin! I didn't know you were such a bold person, always hiding behind your books and being the teacher's pet" 

"You fooled all of us!" they snickered 

"You really picked the wrong person to mess with, I mean you? And Seolhyun? Not everyone can be popular you know, you should really know your place around here book worm." 

You simply stared at them, turning up the volume to your music. You put your head down on your desk and closed your eyes. 

"YAH Look at her, even ignoring us when we're giving her advice" a girl said while rolling her eyes. 

It was not long before the bell would ring to signal the start of class but you were already sick of being here. You felt someone kick your chair, and you were already in a foul mood. You ignored it and continued to listen to your music. 

"HEY! I think you're in my seat" said a male 

You opened your eyes and took out one of your earphones, looking up to the unknown male student. 

"Who are you?" you asked as you scanned him from head to toe. 

"Jackson Wang, now move" he ordered. 

You let out a sigh in disbelief as this stranger was telling you to move from your own seat. 

"I don't know who you are, but this is my spot." you assured him 

"Get up" he ordered again in a commanding tone. 

You rolled your eyes and slammed your desk with one hand. "Get lost" you replied 

By now, there were a group of students surrounding you two, which only added to the gossip and rumours spreading throughout the school. Just then, the homeroom teacher, Mr. Lee walked in and ordered everyone to their seats. You and Jackson were the only ones still standing, both intensely staring at each other. 

"Hey! Hey, everyone get into your seats, the bell has rung, class is starting!" Mr Lee said. 

"Kwon Aerin! Wang Jackson! What are you two still doing standing there?" he yelled. 

"She's in my seat" Jackson said, gesturing to you. 

"Ah, that's right. Kwon Aerin, this is new transfer student Jackson Wang, he just started at J.Y. yesterday. This is originally Kwon Aerin's seat but well, you can sit at an empty spot in the next row, Jackson" said Mr. Lee. 

He scoffed and muttered "You got lucky" under his breath. You sat there confused and thoroughly disturbed by how hateful this guy was. Not only was he a new student around here, but he was acting as if he owned the whole damn place. You sat through the entire lesson annoyed by the events that had happened earlier today and you couldn't wait for school to end. Second period was the same as usual, it was a new lesson and you vigorously took notes. By lunch, you were ready to go out and have some fresh air. You skipped out on going to the cafeteria, fully knowing the drama that awaited you behind those doors, so, you opted to head to the courtyard. You had no appetite but decided to eat a pack of snacks while wandering around to find an empty bench. You sat down by the shade and put in your earphones but the peace and tranquility soon ended when you saw Jackson walking your way. 

peacehaven-community-school-008.jpg

 

*Dammit* you thought to yourself. *I can just never catch a break around here anymore can I?* 

"Move" said Jackson, motioning his hand 

You rolled your eyes at him for the unlucky encounter and snorted at his cockiness. 

"Are you deaf? I said move" said Jackson

"Are you bored? I'm not here to entertain you. Go away" you replied 

He smirked and put his hands on his hips before sitting down beside you, putting his arm around your shoulder. 

"You're really starting to get on my nerves you know that?" he said 

You gave him cold stare, letting him know you were unamused by his actions. 

"Get off of me" you said while yanking his arm off. 

"If you don't like it, then move. Don't make me repeat myself" he replied 

"You must be a real brat if you think you can go around this school ordering people around new kid" 

"Don't act like you're some top of the class student now Kwon Aerin, I heard what the other kids are saying about you. You're quite the delinquent yourself" he snickered. He then attempted to lie down on the bench, resting his head on your lap. "If you don't wanna move, then good, stay here while I take a nap" 

*This jerk!* you thought to yourself. You had a black belt in Taekwondo and at this point, there was little holding you back from spraining his arm and kicking him in the face. You took a deep breath and tried to suppress your anger boiling inside, channeling the discipline you had learned from all those years of training. You couldn't believe that there could be a bigger at this school than queen Seolhyun herself. With the rest of your snacks, you took the bag and poured it on his face causing him to jolt right out of his sleeping position. And with that you walked away, dusting the crumbs that fell onto your uniform. 

"YAH! WHAT THE HELL! YOU BETTER STOP RIGHT THERE! YAH!" Jackson yelled while brushing off the snacks on his face and in his hair. It made you laugh to see him in such dishoveled state. *Serves him right* you thought to yourself. 

"Annyeong~" you said as you continued to walk away while waving behind. 

 

 

_______________________________________________________________________________-

SIDENOTE: I didn't originally plan to make Jackson into a bad boy character, instead he was supposed to be this goofy, spontaneous guy but this is the direction that my writing has taken me and I'm just gonna roll with it! Leave comments on what you think will happen & whether you like this character profile for Jackson! Thanks for reading~