Dance for two

Untouchable: Closed off from Love

Since the start of high school, you made a promise with Sera that you would never reveal the fact that you two were sisters openly, unless someone asked about it or could recognize the both of you to be siblings. You asked Sera to make this promise to you because you felt uncomfortable being compared to her and disappointing others with your lack-lustre achievements. Being labelled as Sera Kwon's sister was tiring and brought a lot of unnecessary attention to yourself. Teachers would treat you differently and hold certain expectations of you. Your classmates all tried to act like your close friend-it was exhausting. She understood your stance about the matter and how you felt, so she agreed. Since you two went to different middle schools, hardly anyone knew the fact that you two were sisters except for your bestfriend Narae, and a few of Sera's close friends. You intended to keep it that way as no one has ever made the connection that you two were siblings since you were children. The only thing you two shared in common was the same last name. 

_______________________________________________________________________________

Two months has passed since the start of the new school year, and you have since settled into your new timetable. Things were getting busy for students at J.Y. as midterms were just around the corner. For academic students, midterm papers and tests and for arts students, assignments and skill assesments. Midterms for you were never that difficult and you often did very well. However, this year things were different with dance as one of your classes. There are two skills assesments during the year, one through an annual fall showcase and the second one was through the spring arts festival. You were extremely nervous. You had gotten the hang of dance class and began to find your sense of rhythm again. You made some new friends including E-Young, who would guide you when you were unsure and give you the feedback you needed. The fall showcase was coming up in less than a month and it lasted for about 3 days and as with all J.Y. Arts Academy events, they were a big deal drawing in the entire student body, parents, and special honorary guests including talent scouts, investors, and university reps. The pressure was on. 

For the fall showcase, arts students were required to perform in at least 3 routines/programs but lucky for you, you were only required to do 1. But of course, it was still out of your comfort zone especially since you would be performing in a "couples" co-ed dance sequence. You didn't have very many friends and so you were not used to interacting with so many people especially in group activities not to mention, with a male partner. 

"Gather around everyone" said Mr. Minwoo, head of the dance department in the dance student assembly.

"This year in the fall showcase, the freshman class will be performing in the musical play with the theatre department and music department" "The second years and third year students will have a combined co-ed sequence testing your ability to synchronize dance movements and compatibility with your partners while the seniors will be responsible for the opening and closing routines of the showcase together with the music department along with your individual group solo performances" 

"This year, there will be numerous talent scouts from major entertainment companies along with casting directors from musicals and university admission representatives" "It is imperative that you all do not take this showcase lightly and really perform to the best of your abilities" "Ms. Kahi and Ms. Fei will teach the first years and the female portion of the co-ed dance sequence while Mr. Yunho with teach the males as he coordinates the seniors' dance performance" 

"That is all, you may all proceed back to your respective classes" he announced. 

You definitely felt the tension and anxiety in the air but also the hidden excitement of your peers. For you, all you wanted was to pass the class with a satisfactory grade but for the arts students, the stakes were much higher. You knew that since this was a collaborative dance, you had to work just as hard and put even more effort not to screw up the reputation of your peers. 

It was the end of the school day and most students had already left the school. You knew how important the showcase was for arts students and so you knew that you had to practice with all the spare time you had. You packed your bags and headed for the dance studio to rehearse your routine. You were hoping that no one would be there after school since it was a Friday, and most club activities had concluded. You made your way to the entrance of the dance studio and listened at the door to see if there was anyone there before you walked in. You didn't hear anything and so you proceeded to quietly open the door the see if there was anyone inside. 

*Thank goodness there is no one here* you thought to yourself 

*Now I can practice the dance sequence comfortably without people staring at me*

You put your things in the corner and went into the girls changeroom to change out of your uniform. When you came out, you the music from your Ipod to BoA's "Only One" this was the first half of the dance sequence as it was a mash up-between several songs including the female routine: "Wild" from 9Muses and the male routine: "Breath" by Beast. You were dancing for close to 40 mins now and you were getting tired but you kept going. You were in extremely concentrated state and didn't notice that someone was at the door. It was Mark. 

He heard music coming from down the hall and wondered who would still be practicing so late after school on a Friday and so he went to check it out. He opened the door slightly and took a peek. To his surprise, he saw you practicing dilligently the routines for the fall showcase. 

*This girl* he thought to himself with a smile   *What is she doing here so late anyways?* 

He walked in and called your name several times but you didn't hear him at all. It wasn't until you were practicing "Only One" by BoA, the couple's dance when you felt someone grab your waist. 

"YAAAHH!" you screamed in shock 

"WHAT THE HELL?" as you whipped your head around to see who the creep was. To your surprise, it was Mark. 

"What are you doing here?! OMG You scared me, I thought you were some ert! I didn't even hear anyone come in!" you said as you nearly fainted from the shock.

"HAHAHAHAHA" "Sorry sorry!" "I called your name several times but I guess you didn't hear me" Mark said as he was laughing at your stunned expression. 

You definitely looked like a hot mess, but you felt your cheeks starting to burn up, and it was not because of the dance. 

"So what are you doing practicing so late after school alone anyways?" asked Mark, still barely able to control his laughter from what had just happened. 

"I..I'm rehearsing the individual components of the dance before Monday, when we have the co-ed practice session" you replied 

"You heard Mr. Minwoo, the showcase is going to be a big deal and even though it doesn't affect me as much, the reputation of our class and of the school is at stake" 

"That's true, I guess there is no helping it, care if I join you?" he asked 

"I..uhm..no, but I get more nervous when someone is watching me" you said

"Well lucky for you, it's just me watching you" "At the showcase, there will be at least 200 people in the crowd" "Don't be nervous, just dance and pretend like I'm not even here" he said with a smile

*That's kinda hard to do* you thought to yourself. *It's not like I can pretend to not notice you...* *WAIT WHAT..* Your heart was starting to beat quicker and louder and you felt it thumping in your chest. 

"YYou're right, I should get used to it now and overcome my stage fright before the big day" "But..I..it's not perfect okay?" "Give me contructive criticism so I can correct them" you said, barely able to get the words out of your mouth. 

The music started and you began to dance the couples' routine, you were halfway through until you saw Mark stand up and approach you. You kept going unsure of what to do and you saw that he was dancing along side of you. He was dancing the male sequence of the dance. Flustered, you kept your head down and averted his gaze. To him, he thought it was cute to see how shy you were and it made him chuckle. You both finished the dance with the ending pose, and you two were face to face, breathing heavily. He let out a small smile and walked away seeing your discomfort. 

"You've improved a lot since I've last seen you" he said while starting to clap 

"I..I hope so, I've been practicing more often and I seem to get a better feel for the moves now" you replied, staring at your feet. 

You weren't usually like this. Something was different when you were with him alone in the same room. You two continued to practice together as he went through his routines for another half an hour until it started to get late. It was nearing 6:30, dinner time, and you had told Sera to go home without you because you wanted to rehearse for the showcase but she didn't know you would be staying this late. 

*buzzz buzzz buzz* you heard your phone vibrate. 

"Hello?" you answered. It was Sera and she was calling to check up on you

"Oh unnie!" "Sorry, I lost track of time." "I'm still at school but I'm heading home now" "You can start eating dinner without me since it's getting late" "Did mom and dad get back yet?" "Oh okay, byeee~" you said, ending the call. 

"I gotta get going, my parents are wondering where I am" you said to Mark as you started packing away your things. 

"Woah, it's pretty late, I didn't even realize" "It got dark outside already" he replied staring at the window outside the studio. 

"Where do you live? I can drop you off at your house since you're so scared all the time" he teased

You let out a small laugh and replied "I can handle it hahaha" "Although many people don't expect this of me, I used to learn Taekwondo when I younger, I can take care of myself" "I live 30 minutes away from here walking distance."

"Oh really now?" "You're right, I really didn't expect that from you" "So, let me try piece this together, you're a nerdy ninja who likes to dance" he said.

"That's right, but that's not all I am.. you better watch out" you replied with a chuckle.

You two walked to the entrance of the school and towards the subway station. 

"I'll see you around Aerin, I live 5 subway stops away near the community center" 

"Yeah..I'll probably see you on Monday in class. Thanks for helping me today, sorry I took so much of your time" you replied

"Not at all, we're friends right?" he said with a smile 

He walked down the stairs into the underground station, turning back to wave. You waved back and continued to walk towards your house and quickened your steps knowing that you were late. 

*Thump..thump..thump*  you felt your heart beating.

 

_____________________________________________________________

SIDENOTE: This is going to be a fairly long story so think of this series like a drama series, each chapter=one episode :)