Chapter 1: When In Korea; FANGIRL

Chasing Biases

This story, is about the dreams of five different girls and how they strive to make it them happen. 

When it comes to thinking back to before they all met, to these girls they each wouldn’t dream that they would actually get along. 

 

Two are best friends. 

They came from the same town, knew the same people, they even had military backgrounds in their family. Nothing really out of the ordinary coming from a town with a base near by. 

These two are a Cancer and Aquarius. 

Cancer is the motherly like person. One that is emotional, and listen and sticks with what her inner self says. 

Aquarius is the hyper-active type. One that sees things from a different perspective. Sometimes even finding the most simplest things unnecessary. She even jumps with whatever impulses come to mind.  

Their personalities may have been the opposite of each other, but each definitely taught something to one another throughout the years of knowing each other. 

 

The other two, are mother and daughter, but acted like sisters most of the time. Perhaps their helps with that.  

These two being Gemini, both have about the same personalities. There are times when one can get under the others skin, causing their relationship to turn into one of a mother and daughter. However when two Gemini find an argument, it is subsided quickly, and they go back as if nothing happened. Continuing to act like sisters and share everything. Comes to show when you put two pairs of “twins” together, you get something like this. 

 

The last, fifth girl, is a Scorpio. She is a girl one would never have thought would like the things she does due to her appearance. She was different, and her zodiac describes her well. She herself was someone who never would of thought would be caught up in such a dream as this. 

 

Something that is so simple that people forget is that dreams change. Along with the person. 

 

The Scorpio and the Cancer met first as roommates at their college. With that friendship, came the Aquarius. 

What the Scorpio brought into their lives was something all five girls fell into, so deep. 

That subject was Asian culture. To be more upfront about it, she brought Korean pop into their lives; K-Pop.

 

In fangirl terms, “it ruined their lives.” 

 

The three girls didn’t meet the mother and daughter Gemini ‘til they had decided to take their obsession dream, to the next level. They started taking Korean language classes, they figured would help them towards their dreams. 

 

And what was their dream?

 

Their dreams were to live and have their careers in South Korea. 

 

....While also trying to find their husbands, otherwise known as their number one biases. 

 

Immediately, their friendship had blossomed, the group of girls felt homey with each other. 

Able to talk about anything, get and ask advice for anything, not to mention fangirl about everything that happened in the K-pop world. Having such an obsession is hard to cope with when the people around you judge don’t understand. To be able to share this obsession was definitely something that make their friendship that much more fun.

Talking about who we love, and who we’d like to marry. 

Even gone through a few relationships that Candice liked to call, stepping stones. 

 

We were all for finding the ones we wanted. It was just a matter of getting there.. 

 

Three years later:

Capitol Airport

 

“Holy I can’t do this.” Candice’s anxiety started to set in once she saw that they were at the gate of their airplane. Her walk had even come to a quick stop.

 

“No mom don’t do this. You’re fine!” Lexi tried to comfort her mother, while also hoping that she wasn’t going to punk out. 

 

“Yeah everything is going to be fine. Don’t freak yourself out like this now that we are here. We are seriously like halfway to where we want to be.” Stefanie tried to help too as she wrapped an arm around Candice.

 

“OH MY JUST THINK ABOUT IT. ALL WE HAVE TO DO IS GET ON THE PLANE. DO IT FOR KIM HYUN JOONG!” Janelle immediately started to pull this conversation into one of k-pop fangirling. Her imagination was starting to run.  

 

“YES!! Candice! Think of yo’ babay!~” Lanetta added with a huge smile. 

 

Candice tried to take a deep breath but it came out shaky. “It’s all for him..and I can have his babies..” 

 

Stefanie and Lexi gave a look to each other that read the sarcastic ‘really?’ before turning back to the oldest. 

 

“Alright come on let’s go sit down and wait for the plane.” Stefanie said as she and the others walked to the seats in their gate. 

 

It was an anxious wait. Different emotions, thoughts, and worries flowing through each of the girls’ heads. 

But the butterflies in their stomach weren’t going away. 

Their excitement was overshadowing every bad thought they could all think of as they sat there waiting.

This first step of getting on the plane was something they never thought they would even get to. Their plane to Seoul, South Korea..was the start of their dreams.  

 

Candice was off to become an actress, Lanetta; off to become a chef and learn more about Asian cuisine, and Lexi, Stef, and Janelle would be off to be the next best music company. Up there to fight with SM and YG. 

Lexi to be one of their first trainees, Stef to be the owner and recording engineer, and Nelle to be a PR, or manager. 

 

Sure, all could be said to be farfetched dreams. 

Neither of the girls were full blown Asian. 

Lexi was half Philippine half Mexican. 

Candice and Stefanie were both Mexicans. Although both could play off Asian if they wanted to. 

Then Janelle and Lanetta were both African-American. 

Being a mixture of brown and black, many people said that it will be hard to get so far in such a traditional country as South Korea.  

 

Would that stop them? 

Hell no. 

 

Neither girl was thinking about giving up.

 

After a long moment of silence in between them all, Janelle spoke up first. “Hey guys, let’s make our last moments here special.” she smiled. 

 

“By doing what?” Lexi asked. 

 

“Let’s make a vow.” she answered excited by the thought of it.

  

“A vow?” Stef questioned. 

 

“Of what?” Netta asked not completely following.

 

“Our dreams booty!” Janelle answered making herself clear. 

 

“So..a promise about our dreams?” Candice started to question now that she was distracted from her anxiety attack. 

“YEAAHH!~” Nelle gleamed. “Let’s promise that we won’t give up, we will help each other to the very end, and we will end up with our biases!” 

 

“Tck” Stef scoffed. “You make is sound like it will be so easy.”

 

“Of course it’s not!” Netta spoke defending her best friend. “But now if we promise we have no choice and it could be that much easier on us.” 

 

“It ain’t got to be that serious..” Stef muttered. 

 

“STEF, SHUT UP... Just let Nelle do this one thing!” Netta sighed getting slightly frustrated by Stef’s lack of spirit. 

 

“Fine, whatever.” she gave up. 

 

“Okay so..” Janelle slowly started thinking of a way to word everything. ”Now that we are finally moving to Korea there is one thing we must promise each other. We will end up with our number one biases. And we will do whatever it takes to make our many dreams come true. And we will only make our bonds stronger and never get torn apart. Let’s vow that nothing will get in our way.”

 

Janelle then put her pinky out for the others to all grab a hold on. “Yagsog?”

 

Each girl one by one met in the middle to hold on to each other’s pinky. Last was Stef. “Kkk. You tried.” she laughed slightly as she grabbed on as well. 

 

“WHATEVA BOOTY” Nelle shouted laughing as well already knowing that it wasn’t a perfect vow.

 

The other girls laughed along while at the same time bringing their thumbs up to meet in the middle. 

A “Korean” pinky promise. 

 

“OW IT HURTS” 

 

“OOOWWWW~”

The girls all shouted in some kind of pain from their fingers getting twisted together. 

 

“Nelle...let’s not do that again..I think that doing that pinky promise is only make for two people. I don’t know about five.” Netta said shaking her hand from the pain. 

 

“Heh. Least we touched. NOW IT’S OFFICIAL.” she answered back in with a derpy face. 

 

“EWW DON’T DO THAT! XD” Stef said laughing with Lexi and Candice joining in. 

 

Suddenly it turned into nothing but derpy faces going back an forth in between Lexi and Janelle since they are good at it. It threw everyone into a laughing fit. 

 

“Passengers of flight GSCA5 to Icheon Airport, please be prepared to board.” a women spoke from the intercom. 

 

“Guess it’s finally time..” Stef said with a smile. 

 

“OH GOD” Candice said starting to panic again. 

 

“DON’T DO THIS CANDICE!” Janelle shouted theatrically. 

 

“MOM!” Lexi yelled right after.

 

“CANDICE. NO!” Netta added.

 

Candice had finally settled down, the girls didn’t want her to start up again. So all she could do was bite her tongue and let the others push her to the ticket lady. 

 

-14 and half hours later- 

 

“OH MY GOD.” Lexi breathed as the group entered from the terminal. 

 

“We made it.” Stef said with a smile and hugged Lexi. “Oh my God!!!” she said excitedly. 

 

“AND I SURVIVED!” Candice shouted happily, arms reaching for the sky. 

 

Right behind Candice was Janelle and Lanetta. Janelle ran out in front of the rest of the girls, “OH MY , NETTA! WE ARE BREATHING THE SAME AIR AS OUR BIASES. WE ARE SERIOUSLY SO CLOSE RIGHT NOW I CAN TASTE THEM.” she started freaking out creating a huge fangirl moment. 

 

“AHHH!” Netta started to freak out along with her best friend, she even grabbed a hold of her, and was almost on her knees as the fangirl moment escalated. 

 

Candice then stepped up joining them, “Kim Hyung Joong, HERE I COME!”

 

Lexi and Stefanie started laughing at them. “See Candice, the flight wasn’t that bad now was it?” Stef asked with her arm around her dongsaeng. 

 

“Pfft, once I slept.” Candice muttered coming down from her high. 

 

“Heh, what else are you supposed to do on a 14 and a half hour flight?” Stef teased. 

Candice relied silently with a face, and Stef shot back a merong. XP 

 

“So, where’s our apartment?” Lexi asked excitedly. “I hope we’re in a good place!” 

“According to the email, our apartment is in…Mapo-gu?” Netta answered looking at her phone. 

 

“…”

There was a slight silence.

 

“Uh, that’s in Seoul, right?” Candice asked with a bit of sassy tone. 

 

“PFT, How would I know?!” Netta answered again. 

 

“I mean..It should be right?” Nelle added trying to hell, but being her blank self..

 

Stef then nonchalantly took out her phone and typed in where the address is. “Oh!” she spoke suddenly.

 

“What is it?” Lexi asked looking over her shoulder. 

 

“HOLY ! XD” Stef exclaimed. “Our apartment is in Hongdae!” 

 

“No way!!!” Lexi started celebrating, and jumped around with Stef.
The other three still seemed to be lost. 

 

“Uh…Hongdae?” Nelle asked out loud.

 

“You’d know if you water more dramas, Nelle. -.- ” Stef stated. 

 

Nelle shrugged her shoulders and put on a “how-the-hell-should-i-know” type of derp face. 

 

“There’s a bunch of shops and cafes there!” Lexi started to inform the others. 

 

“As well as street talent! This is perfect!” Stef added thinking about her career. 

 

“Oh! That sound’s cool!” Janelle said starting to get excited. 

 

“Netta, it’s one of the few places that is always in dramas.” Stef tried to help her remember. 

It didn’t work. It never does..

 

“Stef..you know my memory.” Netta replied annoyed. 

 

“Aish! Whatever, let’s just grab our stuff and head out. You’ll recognize it.” Stef said defeated, walking towards the baggage claim. 

 

~ ~ ~

Walking into their 4 bedroom apartment, the girls were in awe.
The apartments in Korea were so much different than in America. 

 

“Damn..seonsaengnim wasn’t lying when they said apartments are homes here.” Janelle said while looking around. 

 

“No kidding!” Candice said as she stood in the middle of their large living room. 

 

“This living room is big enough for us to dance in!” Lexi said happily.

 

“Lexi~” Stef sang, “Let’s go choose our rooms!”

 

“Okay unnie!” she answered as they ran off to the bedrooms. 

 

“YA! Wait for us!” Netta yelled after, following behind.

 

“HEY I WANT A ROOM TO MYSELF.” Janelle yelled as well running down the hall. 

 

The next few hours consisted of the girls fighting over rooms, unpacking, and decorating.
After some time, the house was k-popped out with posters and mercy of different groups. 

Girls and guys..

But mostly guys. 

 

“Woo~ finally done!” Lexi said as they all gathered in the living room, falling on the chairs and couches. 

 

“Now what?” Stef asked looking around to her friends. It was their first day in South Korea and it was basically evening time. 

 

“Now what my ! I’m tired y’all! You ain’t jet legged?” Janelle asked confused almost past out on the couch. 

 

“Too excited, haha” Stef laughed even though she was tired. 

 

“Haha Janelle you look like a poop.” Netta started laughing. 

 

“SHUT UP NETTA.” 

 

“Let’s at least get something to eat.” Netta said after her laugh. “AND I’M NOT COOKING.” 

 

“Not in that beautiful kitchen?” Stef poked at Netta. 

 

“HA…No.”

 

“Oh! I know where we can go!” Candice jumped up suddenly full of energy. “We’re going to Jamsil.”

 

“What?” they all said. 

 

~ Outside of a chicken restaurant in Jamsil~ 

 

“KIM HYUN JOONG’S PLACE MA?! REALLY?” Lexi screamed.
She should of known her mother was going to being them here…

 

“He owns a chicken place?” Janelle asked. 

 

“It’s his mom’s, Nelle. His family’s restaurant.” Lanetta explained. 

 

“Yup, he even used to work here when he was younger.” Candice informed. 

 

“Damn Candice, you sure do know yo’ man.” Nelle laughed. 

“Duh. To be his future wife I have to.”

 

“Okay..since we’re going in, please…Candice don’t fangirl too hard..” Stef pleaded knowing her friend. She and Lexi wanted to be spared from embarrassment.

 

“Not making any promises.” she said walking in, without a care in the world.

 

“FUUUUUUU” Lexi and Stef said at the same time scared for their life, before following the others in. 

 

“Welcome!” one of the waitresses said as they came in. 

 

“Annyeonghasaeyo~” the girls all replied before sitting at the table the waitress picked. 

Since it was kinda late, there wan’t that many people in the restaurant.  

The waitress came around again with menus and tray of cups and a small water container for the table. 

“Call me when you are ready.” she said politely. 

 

“Neh~” they all chorused while looking through the menu. 

 

“Alright. Let’s talk about something important.” Candice said distracting everyone. “How are you guys planning on getting your bias?”

 

“Do we have to talk about this now?” Stef whined. 

 

“YES” Netta, Nelle, and Candice said at once. Here they go with their fangirl moment again. 

 

“God help..” Lexi whispered. 

 

“Alright, I want y’all to talk, cuz you all already know my plan. I’ve told you, I don’t know how many times.” Candice started then took a sip of water. 

 

“So you’re really doing this? You’re gonna come here everyday and get close to his mom?” Netta asked laughing a bit. 

 

“Hey he’s bound to come here sometime.” she defended. “And even if he doesn’t, if she ends up liking me she will introduce me herself.” 

 

“Oh mom..” Lexi sighed.

 

“Doing the most..” Stef mummered. 

 

“It’s what I do.” Candice joked, teasing the two. 

 

“Well me and Jannle are going to stalk GD and T.O.P’s lives~~” Netta said excitedly but at the same time in some sort of creepy fashion. 

 

“Oh God, not this again…” Stef grumbled. “You failed twice when you guys went to their concert in L.A BOTH days. Do you really think this is gonna work out here? Stalk Big Bang?!” 

 

“Duh, we got Candice now!” Janelle added. 

 

“Yeah! They got me now!” Candice echoed. 

 

Stef felt dead panned. 

 

“..ugh.. mom no..” Lexi groaned feeling the same. 

 

“So what about you two?” Candice asked pointing to her daughter and Stef. 

 

“GET INTO SM.” Lexi cried. 

 

“YA! You’re supposed to be MY trainee remember?!” Stefanie shouted lightly slapping Lexi’s shoulder.

 

“Oh..well..” she started stammering. “I HAVE TO GET F(X) AWAY FROM SHINEE.” 

 

“Dude don’t worry about it. I’ll get you to meet Taemin for sure!” Stef said with confidence. 

 

Lexi then used both of her hands to push up her cheeks, causing her lips to form into an exaggerated derp like smile. : > “Really~?” she said in a trace like voice. 

 

All the girls started to laugh. 

 

“Yes.” Stef answered still laughing.

 

“Unnie, how are you planning to get close to D.O?” Lexi asked once everyone started to settle down. 

 

Stefanie started to blush. “Uh..heh.. I don’t know.” 

 

“Come on, I know you’ve thought about it.” Candice teased with a smile.

 

“Yeah..I have..but— It’s not like I can plan it. I’m just gonna, let things happen.” she said sincerely. 

 

“GOD STEF! WHY DO YOU HAVE TO BE THE COOL ONE?” Janelle playfully whined. “Believing in fate and sheit.” 

“Perf Stef strikes again.” Netta added smiling, shaking her head while playing with her straw. 

 

Stefanie rolled her eyes at her old nickname Janelle had given to her. But she smiled a little. 

 

“Stef you’re perf. Yours and D.O’s relationship will be nothin’ but perf.” Netta said brushing it off like she already knew and wasn’t a big deal. 

 

“Yeah.” Nelle added. 

 

“I believe it.” Candice joined starting to tease again. 

 

“Haha, unnie. ^^” Lexi giggled understanding the nickname. 

 

“GUIES QUIT WITH THE NICKNAME ALREADY!” Stef shouted completely embarrassed now that everyone was in on it. 

 

The girls started laughing again continuing the little teasing session a while longer, while also attacking each other about how each would react when they would come face to face with their number one bias.

 

“Alright guys let’s order, I’m ing hungry.” Netta said looking through the menu. Causing the others to look through as well. 

 

“Ooo! Let’s drink! Celebrate our first night here!” Janelle proposed.

 

“I’m down” Candice said instantly. 

 

“Let’s do it!” Netta agreed. 

 

“Haha sorry Lexi. You’re still a year short.” Stef said hugging her. 

 

“Technically I’m not~~~” she sang. “Remember how age works here? I’m 18 in Korea.” 

 

“Oh, she’s right!” Stef smiled. 

 

“Nuh huh! Screw you. You’re still 17 to me so you ain’t drinkin’.” her mom said with her sass. 

 

After the waitress came back and took their orders, once the soju and the food came rolling out, all of the girls had a shot in hand. They even got Candice to let Lexi have this one shot.

 

“Oh hey, now that we’re in Korea we can use our names seonsaengnim gave us!” Candice pointed out. 

“Oh yeah!” 

“Yay!” 

 

“So here’s to us! Our new names, and our dreams!” Nelle toasted. 

 

“To new names and our dreams!” they repeated and drank down the shot happily. 

 

No longer were their names, Candice, Lexi, Stefanie, Janelle, and Lanetta. 

Now these girls were Mihyeonjae, Soomin, Mirim, Yoonhee, and Lina.