Using Description in Your Stories

Of Shawols and Star1's: How to Write Kpop Fanfictions that Rock.

This is a street the day after Christmas in Seoul. How would you describe the scene?

 

 

Description appears in stories for particular reasons: to help you inform, clarify, persuade, or create a mood.

I see this element lacking in a lot of fanfics. Of course, it's set in Korea, but they don't ever give any indicators of what it looks like, feels like, smells like, what the food tastes like... this is a completely different culture, and readers are hungry to know what it's like.

But now you're thinking, "but I've never been to Korea."

The answer to this problem?

GOOOOGGLLLEE!!! Google is a wonderful resource! (I always say Google solves everything hehe ^^) Venture outside of the k-pop variety shows and go look up some of the cultural aspects! Go to Google Maps and VISIT the place! Remember, reseach, research, research.

(You can also come to me! I actually have a few people in my neighborhood who have actually lived in Korea, and I've hounded them with questions.)

However, there is a limit. Hundreds of authors agree on at least one thing when it comes to description: less is more. But don't leave it out completely. Pull out the most vivid details that will enhance the story. By using clear, precise words, you can improve any kind of writing. For example, someone's face can be "pale", or it can be "ashen", "pasty", or "porcelain white". Each carries a different meaning and mood for the word "pale".

Description doesn't just apply to setting, though. To shape a realistic secondary character without making them too complicated, give them a "Character Tag". This is a quirky mannerism or behavior that this character and only this character exhibits. This way, when a secondary character acts a certain way, you'll know immediately who it is, even if you haven't said their name. A commonly used Character Tag is some sort of hand gesture or habit.

A big key to creating a great story is being able to add the description in your character's voice. This ensures that the reader will see through your character's eyes.