Getting Started/ The Fear Factor of Writer's Block

Of Shawols and Star1's: How to Write Kpop Fanfictions that Rock.

tumblr_mgpb7fiLiS1rb8d8mo1_500.jpg

Writer's Block (B? xD) is mostly fear!!

 

 

There is no such thing as writer's block. It's an illusion of the cranium (totally awkward wording, but you get my point ^.~), and it can be fixed.

Four main things that stop people from writing are:
- Life Stuff
-Physical Needs
-Distractions
- "Writer's Block"
-Fear

If you're distracted or don't have enough time to write due to a hectic schedule, there's a simple way to fix it: make writing PART of your schedule. When you schedule your priorities rather than prioritize your schedule, it makes it that much easier to squeeze it in.

Physical needs have to do with how it has to be while you write. Some people can't work when it's quiet, while others can't work when it's too loud.

Figure out which one is you.

A good way to balance this is to put in some headphones and play a score from a film. It drowns out noise and keeps your mind focused on your writing. And since film scores are instrumental, you don't have to worry about being distracted by singing along. If you're the type that has to have something to munch on while you write or type, get the food before you sit down so you don't have to have a reason to get up and get distracted from what you're writing.

People's REAL "writer's block" issues come from some of these things:

-It's too much work
-Not Inspired
-Not #1 priority
-Lack of Creativity
-Project is too big
-No clear direction
-Don't know how to start
-Don't know how to fix a part
-Spent too much time researching.

EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THESE can be solved by simply thinking about the story more. You don't have to write as soon as the idea pops into your head; take a while to form the idea in your brain before sitting down at the computer.

shark04.jpg

(Yes, I loved Sharkboy and Lavagirl as a kid, don't judge me!)

Brainstorming is a crucial part to writing a story, even when you think you have the idea ready. Brainstorm middle parts, brainstorm endings. And the secret tip to this? Brainstorming works best when your body is busy and your mind isn't. So when you're doing laundry next time or when you're walking your dog, take those quiet times and continue to flesh it out. My best ideas come from the shower:)

There are four different kinds of fear when it comes to writing.
-Thinking you're not good enough and that everyone else is better
-Fear of failure
-Emotional Setbacks
-Wanting to be perfect from the start

Susan Dennard conducted a fascinating research on the "fear factor" of writer's block. I won't go into extreme detail about it, but here's the link if you'd like to read From Frab to Fab (she explains what Frab is in there, no worries.)

http://susandennard.com/2014/01/13/from-frab-to-fab-part-1-the-oft-forgotten-oft-unspoken-culprit-behind-writers-block/ (copy and paste it into your address bar if you want to read it)

Everyone tells you that you're supposed to face your fears.

With writing, DON'T.

Facing your fears just makes them come back, and it doesn't make the situation any better. Instead, make friends with your fear. Fear is there to protect you, because your mind can't differentiate the difference between emotional fear (like fear of failure or public speaking) and physical fear (getting attacked by zombies or something.)

Instead, embrace it.

For example, let's pretend that it's true. Every living thing on earth can write better stories than you.

What do you do?

-You can revise, revise, revise.

-You can use those "better writers" as critique partners

ect.

Tell your fear you have a backup plan. Tell it "it's okay, even if that's really how it is."