Finale

Yehet&Ohorat;

“Get up!” Sehun hears a charmingly familiar voice, and would’ve smiled and continued sleeping if he weren’t thrown onto the floor by an unbearably strong force.

“Huh …?” Sehun blinks and Tao comes into focus before his eyes. He turns his head to look at the clock. 10:30 on a Sunday. “What the hell, Tao? It’s Sunday, lemme – ”

“I’m leaving today.” The words immediately wake Sehun up like a slap to the face, and the sad smile that hangs on Tao’s face feels like a stab to his heart. Wordlessly, he gets up from the ground and begins changing.

Today is their last day. And Tao’s leaving in around 5 hours.

“When’s your flight?”

“7 o’clock, but I’m going there early just in case something happens.”

“Oh.”

“Help me carry my stuff, will you? After breakfast?” Tao asks, and Sehun snorts because he knows Tao knows he’d do it anyway even if Tao is kicking and screaming for him not to.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Well, this is it?” They both stare at each other once they’ve loaded the bags in the taxi.

“It’s a little quiet, isn’t it?” Tao murmurs, and he shivers in the autumn wind.

“They’ve gone to watch the school competition thing,” Sehun replies. “It’s the most important event of the year. And the most exciting.”

“Why didn’t you go then?”

“…Really.” Sehun gives him a ‘Are you kidding me?’ look and Tao chuckles.

“What time is it?”

“It’s …” Sehun takes out his phone. “…3:40. You’d better go or you’ll be l –”

“Excuse me, but can you please wait for a few hours? There're some refreshments inside the school, and I'm pretty sure the cafeteria ladies would be thrilled into giving you some snacks. I’ll be back in around one to two hours!” With that, Tao takes Sehun by the hand and starts running.

“What are you doing?” Sehun shouts once he’s running side by side with Tao. His boyfriend smiles.

“Can’t miss out on the most important event of the school year, right? How boring would that be?” At that, Sehun gapes.

“But – your flight …”

“We’ll make it. We’ll have time.” Tao squeezes Sehun’s hand, and suddenly Sehun’s heart starts racing again and he feels the joy begin to surge back inside him. He smiles.

Aching legs. Short breaths. Sore Throats. Hurting stitches. But the excited souls that sore in the sky are enough to admonish all the pain, and their intertwined fingers are enough to leave a lasting footprint in their hearts.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“I cannot believe we’re coming second! By a few points! What is this?” Jongdae huffs in frustration as he looks at the score board. This event is usually the most important of the year because it’s the only thing they have a chance of winning, and for the last two years they’ve come second, which is extremely disappointing.

“I hate Shinee High, man.” Lu Han sighs as he takes a seat next to Jongdae. “They always laugh at us when they win. It’s so annoying.”

“How was soccer?” Yi Xing asks nervously, but Lu Han shakes his head.

“We lost by one point,” he replies, and they all groan. “Minseok-hyung’s team is still going on, though.”

“What about the others?”

“Kyungsoo, Jongin and Chanyeol are still at bowling,” Jongdae explains. “Jongin and Kyungsoo make a good team, but apparently Chanyeol’s just …” Jongdae shakes his head. Lu Han stares at the ground dejectedly.

“According to Baekhyun-hyung, Chanyeol-hyung boasted about his bowling skills but the truth is that five out of six times he doesn’t even hit one down, let alone a strike."

“Trying to impress Baekhyun, obviously.” Jongdae rolls his eyes and they all agree solemnly.

“I really want to win this year.” Lu Han demands, fire in his voice. “We better win this year.”

“But at this point, we probably won’t.” Yi Xing sighs.

“I guess we need to count on the last race: the three-legged race…”

“I heard there’s no one participating though.”

“If only there was a miracle …”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“What are going to do for the last event?” Junmyeon asks as he looks at the paper in his hand. The sport teacher sighs.

“Nothing. We’re going to have to forfeit.”

“What? But that’s our last chance of winning.”

“There are no competitors. They just didn’t come.” They both stare at the ground.

“If only there was a mira – ”

“COACH! JUNMYEON HYUNG!” Two voices shout in sync, and the two of them turn around to find their very own participants running towards them. Coach almost tears up.

“We’re here! We’re going to participate! Are we in time?” The both of them approach the elders of the four and catch their breaths.

“Yes!” Junmyeon exclaims excitedly and immediately ticks their names off. “The three legged race starts now, hurry up! Over there!” He points to the athletics track and urges them away. Coach smiles to himself proudly – with the way those two boys are moving, their steps falling in sync even without them noticing and their arms swinging as if they are one person, they will definitely win. Definitely.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“I can’t believe we’re doing this again.” Sehun says as Tao ties up their feet. Everyone else has already started stretches or whispering strategies.

“What if we aren’t in sync like last time? What if I trip and you trip too? What if I miss –”

“Shut up. This was your decision.” Sehun rolls his eyes but wraps his arms around Tao’s waist and buries his nose in Tao’s neck. Tao stiffens, but only because they haven’t touched each other properly in over three weeks.

“You said you want to leave this school with a good impression, right?” Sehun murmurs, and tightens his hold. Tao gulps and then relaxes, letting out a sigh.

“You’re right.” He says, and they pull away as they get in positions.

“Ready?”

Tao and Sehun put their arms around each other and give each other a small smile.

“Set?”

“WE ARE ONE! WE ARE EXO!”

“SHINEE HWAITING!”

The gun sounds and everyone starts moving. The moment they take the first step, Sehun and Tao forget about everyone else.

With the second step, all sound around them drowns out until the world is quiet.

With every step they take, the world slows down and everything else around them disappears until it’s only the two of them left.

With every swing of their arm, they reminisce each time they’ve used those fingers to prank the other.

With every flutter of their eyelids, they recall each time they had unconsciously looked at each other in classes and even when they pass each other in hallways.

With every move they make, they think about all the times they’ve touched each other, hugged each other, kissed each other, got in the same bed, ate from the same spoon, showered from the same water.

With every breath they take, they remember the memories they shared, remembered the way they trusted on each other or how they were willing to let the other trust on them. They remembered their feelings for each other. Remembered each other’s smiles.

Remembered how last time they had raced just like this, and even though they were together, they were versing each other more than against anyone else. They’re now fighting against everyone else, and they're doing it together, as one.

They want to win. They’re doing this for themselves. It’s the last thing they’ll ever do together, and that’s what’s keeping them going even though they’ve tired themselves by running a mile just by coming here.

The red line approaches, and with shallow breaths and desperate hearts, they both shut their eyes simultaneously, let out a loud battle cry; push themselves forward.

And let their tears of losing each other fly along with their victory.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It’s over in a second.

Suddenly, everything comes back into view. The noise is suddenly so loud it hurts. The light is brighter than before, and faces crowd around them so much that it makes Sehun dizzy.

“Congratulations!”

“You came first place!”

All around them people are complimenting them, but Sehun’s looking at Tao, just as Tao’s looking at him. They both smile at each other, and even though sweat’s beading down Tao’s forehead, he looks messily pristine.

“Congratulations, boys!” An old man pushes in front of the crowd with a paper and a mike in hand, smiling a strangely fake smile as two other cameramen surround him. “You’ve broken the record for all the seven schools participating for the three-legged race!”

“Now …” the old man wraps his arms around both Sehun and Tao’s shoulders. “Why don't you discuss how you did it in my inter – ” But before he can finish, the both of them have already slipped out of his grasp.

“Guys, I’m so proud of you!” Yi Xing cries as him and the others come to congratulate them. Sehun’s in a daze as he feels strong pats on his backs and ruffles of his hair.

“We won!” Lu Han shouts and whoops as he and Jongdae approach the mean-looking students from Shinee High and start mocking them.

“First win in ages! Didn’t know you guys could work that well!” Junmyeon approaches out of nowhere and pats both their backs. “You guys are a match made in heaven! I’ll be the priest when you guys say your vows – ”

“Don’t listen to him.” Jongin interrupts with Kyungsoo behind him. “He’s a huge Taohun shipper, seriously.”

“Well, guys, we kinda have to go, so …” Tao starts, but he decides that he likes the praise so he continues to talk with the others for a few more minutes. Out of the corner of his eye, Sehun notices Jongin and Kyungsoo brushing their hands against each other in such an innocently subtle way that it’s not natural. He smiles and pulls away from the crowd as he walks towards Jongin, patting him on the back.

“Good job.” He smirks. Jongin blinks innocently and flushes. Sehun walks back to his boyfriend and links his fingers through Tao’s. “Let’s go.”

Tao smiles back. “Okay.”

 

 

 

 

 

“Why did you keep me?” Tao shouts as he wheels his luggage while running with Sehun helping him.

“What? It was you that wanted to boast!” Sehun shouts back as they rush across the airport.

“Ugh! You should’ve stopped me!”

“With that attitude of yours, you can’t ever be stopped!”

“I can’t believe we’re going to end this on a bad note!”

“Damn you, Tao! This is all your fault.”

“My fault? I was doing all this for you!

“Well, I’m helping with your luggage now, so you can’t talk!”

They both glare at each other as they continue pushing the trolley of luggage.

“LAST CALL BEFORE THE KOREAN AIRLINES TO CHINA CLOSES!” A woman shouts and comes into view as they push the trolley. Tao runs up and takes out his passport and tickets in a hurry.

“Barely … made it.” He pants once the woman gives him back his passport. They look at each other for a while, speechless, unaware and unprepared on how they should say their goodbyes –

“Please hurry, sir.” The woman interrupts. “We’re short on time.”

“Oh, I … but I …” Tao looks from Sehun to the woman, but Sehun pushes him through.

“Just go.” He urges. “Don’t miss your flight. I know how long you’ve been waiting for this.” Tao gulps, but nods eventually. He holds up his index finger and middle finger together like a joint peace sign, kisses it, and holds it up in the air.

“Yehet!” He shouts, and grins a triumphant grin.

“Ohorat!” Sehun does the same gesture, and lets out a bright smile even though his heart is bleeding. He watches Tao’s retreating back and continues to stare even though Tao’s long gone, stands there even after the plane's long departed.

He stays in the airport until midnight creeps in.

There are no tears from either of them, and their eyes are as dry as the desert, but their bodies feel light and calm because their hearts have already spoken enough for themselves earlier that day. 

And there is nothing more that needed to be said.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Epilogue - Home.

Sehun sits down on his seat by the window as he waits for the teacher to arrive and takes out his phone. He smiles lightly when he sees a text from Tao, whining about how boring school is and how most of the kids in his class are idiots. All his fears that they will be forever over were for nothing, because even after two months, they’re still the same. Bickering and annoying each other, the only thing missing are the physical touches.

“Who was complaining about me being on the phone too much? Well look at you now.” Jongin comes in and smirks at Sehun, who rolls his eyes and ignores Jongin as he texts Tao back.

Tao: GUESS WHO’S COMING OVER DURING THE CHRISTMAS HOLIDAYS?

        ME!

Sehun smiles brightly and jumps a little in his seat in excitement, doing a little dance with his arms and feet once Jongin’s disappeared. His heart’s thumping – Tao’s coming back soon! To think he’d never see Tao again …

Maybe they have a chance after all.

“Hand it over.” Kyungsoo’s annoying voice breaks Sehun’s dreamy state, and he looks up to send a death glare towards those unnaturally round eyes.

“What?” Sehun deadpans before looking back down to text Tao back.

“The bet, remember?” Kyungsoo’s lips twitch up into a triumphant smirk. Sehun rolls his eyes for a moment. What is he talking about?

“I need the money, since Yi Xing stopped believing in my fortune-tellings.” Kyungsoo sighs and sends a glare towards Lu Han, who had managed to convince Yi Xing to stop. What money? Then he realises it.

“Something is going to happen today that will change your life.”

Sehun curses.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

He hears laughter of glee as he settles back in his chair, pockets and bag devoid of the money that he’s saved up for the past few months. He watches as Kyungsoo and Jongin, now a couple, split the money together.

"Actually, Sehun," Kyungsoo calls after he's finished grinning like mad. "I wasn't actually expecting to win, and would've told Jonginnie to distract you from the bet so I wouldn't have to pay, but hey, this is a much better turnout." Then he cackles.

Sehun's supposed to be angry. In fact, he's supposed to be furious, but strangely, he's not. 

Instead, he’s smiling.

Because Tao’s worth more than 50000 won any day.

 

 

Sehun: I sure can’t wait to get your annoying back >.> You better not get me addicted to loud music nights again; took me so long to get over that!

 

 

 

 

 

When Tao went back to China, there was a sense of loss he felt. As if something was missing, something that he needed in order not to feel numb and absolutely empty.

He was happy that he got back to his family, who nowadays pampered him more than ever because of the hurt they had shoved on him those earlier few months. He was glad for that, and he was happy to forgive them any day, because in the end he still loved them.

Still, something was not complete, and for a while he took a long time to figure it out.

Tao realised that every time he talked to Sehun, be it online or video call, it always left him with a sense of wholeness, and he always felt content even after they’ve ended the call on an argument on petty things such as which brands of socks are better.

Tao’s life was nearly complete – except for Sehun.

Maybe he had underestimated his feelings and the strength of their relationship. Because he thought about Sehun more than he should, heard his voice in his mind more than he hears his own, and saw his smile beneath his own eyelids more than he saw his parents in real life.

He missed Sehun terribly, and no matter how hard he tried to forget about Sehun (a little bit, at least), he couldn’t.

Something he couldn’t understand at all was that even though he was back in his home sweet home, he still felt homesick.

And when he thought and thought over what he should to about his homesickness, he realised how obvious it was all along.

When he realised how simple it was, he smiled.

“Mum? Dad?” He called softly on the dinner table that night. “Can I ask you a favour?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Now that you’re back, my private showers are gone.” Sehun complains, the first thing he says the moment he sees Tao on a Christmas morning, even though the first things running through his mind are too indescribable to be put into words. Like how Tao has dyed his hair blond and cut his hair in a way that looks amazingly y on him.

 “Yeah, well, no one would shower with me back in Qingdao, so I had to come back.” Tao retorts, and the both of them smile at each other before walking out of the airport, side by side, their steps falling in sync. It's as if Tao has never left at all.

Guess I love you more than my parents after all, to want to come back to an idiot jerk like you.

 

 

 

 

“I’m home.” Tao finally says once he’s bold enough to grab Sehun’s long fingers. Sehun smiles knowingly, as if he knew it all along (even though he only found out after having to hear Tao's complaints of missing him on the phone every night when they were separated). He squeezes Tao’s hand.

“It’s good to have you back.”

 


So what do you guys think? Any questions, observations? Feel free to comment below about it, I'd love to hear your thoughts ><

And it was fun participating in this TAOHUN writing competition, because it gave me a lot of thought for the past week. 

Thank you to the people who gave me this lovely opportunity to participate, and thank you all for reading. <3