Beaches

Yehet&Ohorat;

“So you’re really leaving, huh?” Sehun asks as he leans against the doorway, watching Tao pack everything up in that annoyingly huge bag of his. Tao nods as he gets up and wipes sweat from his brow.

“Yeah.” He heaves a huge sigh. “In a week.” They smile sadly at each other.

The both of them speak at the same time.

“I’m not saying goodbye, if that’s what you think I’m doing.”

“It’s not goodbye yet, we have a week!”

They both stare silently at each other, then start speaking again at the same time.

“I’m not going to miss you.”

“Don’t worry, I’ll keep in touch with you.”

The slightest hint of a smile lights up both their features.

“Stop copying me.” The both of them finally say, and their neutral masks break as they fall to the ground laughing.

When they recover, they sit on the bed, a strange distance between them that has never been there before, even when they hated each other. It’s a little awkward, and they know they only have a week left, but they can’t bring themselves to touch each other.

Maybe because they’re afraid it’ll be harder on them if they do touch each other?

“Well …” Tao starts, and he starts fidgeting. “We still have some time before dinner, so you wanna go somewhere?”

“Like where?” Sehun retorts.

“I don’t know … the beach, maybe?” Tao sounds a little shy and slightly insecure, as if Sehun would outright reject him. Sehun stares at him instead in surprise.

“For real? I thou – ”

“Do you want to? You don’t have to.” Tao interrupts, and his voice is just barely shaky. “I mean, it’s too far anyway, maybe we shou – ”

“Let’s go then.” Sehun stands up. “Right now.” Tao looks up in shock, but before he can protest or even speak, Sehun grips him by the arm and leads him out.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Maybe this was a bad idea!” Tao whispers uncertainly once they’re out of the school grounds. Sehun rolls his eyes.

“This was your idea, stupid.” He looks around before moving, pulling Tao along with him.

“What if we get caught? We’re not allowed outside unless we have permission … What if there’s a fire and they have to call the roll and they find that we’re not there? They’re going to pa – ”

“Calm down.” Sehun sighs. “This is a once in a lifetime thing. We’re never going to do it again, are we?” There is silence, and this time less resistance.

“It’ll take us ages to get there by foot though …”

“Yehet,” Sehun replies, because Yehet is YOLO in Sehun language, “we have so much time on our hands it’s not even funny. Now get going or else we’ll run out of time before we reach there.”

Eventually Tao catches up, but he still seems a little hesitant.

“Don’t worry,” Sehun grits his teeth, “if it means so much to you that you'd rather be alone with it, just pretend I’m a random stranger because that’s what I’ll be soon enough.”

Sehun doesn’t mean to come out so harshly, but that’s just a snippet of what he feels inside. Tao quietens and they don’t speak for a while. Sehun feels bitter, a feeling that he’s become accustomed to the past two weeks ever since Tao has announced he’ll be going back.

“That’s not true,” Tao protests after a while and this time he’s brave enough to walk side by side with Sehun, “that’s not true at all. Hunhun, if we both try, we can work. You know that.”

“Sure,” Sehun scoffs, “like how you so quickly got over your Canadian ex when you met me, right?” Jealousy bubbles inside him.

“Sehun …” Tao whispers, but says nothing more. At this state, with Sehun disbelieving and Tao helpless, they won’t work out at all.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

They arrive at the beach after around an hour and a bit. Tao immediately takes his sandals off and breathes out a sigh of relief when he feels the sand between his toes. It makes him feel so much better.

“Finally we’re here!” He shouts, and already he’s feeling more refreshed than before. Despite their fragile relationship right now, Tao’s glad Sehun’s here with him, because it makes everything else look and seem so much better.

Because nowadays, Sehun’s his first source of comfort, even if he doesn't realise it.

“See? Isn’t the sand soft here?” Tao smiles as he looks down as his feet, unaware that Sehun’s eyes are on him, watching the way he smiles and smiling lightly in return.

“Yeah,” he replies softly even though he’s still wearing his shoes.

“You’ve got to try jogging on the beach man.” Tao suggests as he stands there, and the way he jumps slightly on the spot makes it seem as if he's really keen on moving around. 

“The first to get to that horizon is the manlier one!” Sehun points at the section of the beach furthest from them and begins running, mostly because he wants to fulfil Tao’s current desire to move. He hears Tao’s protests and then sees Tao catching up to him. The Chinese’s face is split into a wide grin, and Sehun is okay with exercising upon seeing that, because if anything, it’s Tao’s expression that always seems to calm him.

“Cheater!” Tao gasps as he continues running alongside the Sehun that’s beginning to slow down. “You … started … first.”

Sehun lets out a choked laugh and pushes himself more, making sure his already-tired legs stretch further as he runs faster,  just so he can annoy Tao just as much. And it does.

“Hey! Come back …here, you!” Tao shouts. The beach is deserted except for the both of them, and the air fills with laughter and annoyed yells.

 

 

 

 

 

 

When they finally stop, it’s late afternoon. They lie down on the sand as they rest, chests heaving as beads of sweat roll down their foreheads.

“You never told me you at running,” Tao complains between pants. “I caught up to you in no time.”

“You never told me that you trip once every ten steps!” Sehun shoots back.

“At least I catch up to you!”

They both glare at each other for a while but eventually end up cracking a grin.

“You’re such an idiot.”

“You’re such a moron.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

When they’ve finally caught their breaths and the strength returns to their legs, they get up and brush the sand off them.

“Wow!” Tao exclaims suddenly, and Sehun looks up. Tao’s eyes are wide with wonder as they look out over to the sea, where the sun is beginning to set and a gentle orange settles over in the sky, mingling with the light blue.

“It’s a sunset! It looks great!” He starts fumbling for something but doesn’t seem to be able to find it. “Argh … I forgot my phone …” Then he turns to Sehun.

“Take out your phone!” He orders, pointing his finger at Sehun’s pockets then outward to the sun. “Take photos, you idiot! Hurry up!” Tao’s voice is on the edge of whiny, but in a Tao-like way that will always be cuter than the little kids’.

“Okay, okay.” Sehun sighs as he takes out his phone before switching it on.

“Wow! Isn’t it beautiful? It’s beautiful, right?” Tao’s talking to himself again, and rambles in snippets of Chinese. Sehun rolls his eyes but lets out a soft smile – After Tao leaves, will he ever be able to see this again?

“It’s setting! Hunhun, are you taping this?” Tao lets out a high-pitched noise between a laugh and a giggle as he jumps up and down slightly on the spot. It’s so contagious, so hearty that Sehun laughs too.

“Yes, I am.” He replies, and rolls his eyes. He’s secretly thankful to Tao for bringing him here today, because now all his bitter feelings have faded away.

-

“It’s gone.” Tao sighs a little disappointedly when the source of light disappears down the horizon, and he turns back around. “I swear you better have videotaped that.”

“I did. Why don’t you believe me?” Sehun gives him the innocent expression, and Tao narrows his eyes.

“Show me then.” He moves closer, and Sehun can feel his breath catch in his throat with each step Tao takes until Tao’s opposite him and leaning his head in to look at Sehun’s masterpiece of a video. Sehun sees Tao’s dark, soft hair, and suddenly he feels tempted to bury his nose in it. He gulps and then accidentally presses play.

The video comes into play, and the colours of the sunset are evident in the background, making the video seem light and romantic, but the camera is focused on mostly Tao, capturing his features when he hopped in delight or when he demanded for Sehun to do something.

“Whaaaaat?” Tao’s voice is soft and caught between surprise and disappointment. “Why did you tape me? I always look ugly in photos and videos …”

“What are you talking about?” Sehun snorts, slightly relieved that Tao hasn't asked him why he didn't tape the sunset properly. “You always look ugly no matter what.” Tao replies by slapping him on the shoulder. Hard.

 

 

But that’s not true.

Even though I’ll never admit it, I see nothing but you. Even when the sun is setting so rarely and beautifully along the flat horizon of the sea, it doesn’t even compare to you.

 

 

They begin to walk back, and Sehun tucks his phone in his pocket, because now it holds something more precious than ever before.

 

 

I capture only you in the video not because I’m here to mock you or ridicule you, but because I see nothing but you in my eyes.

Nothing but you.

 

 

“Goodnight.” They whisper to each other on separate beds, and if asked ‘Do you miss sleeping on the same bed with Tao?’ Sehun will always deny it even though his whole body is aching for Tao’s warmth.

The midnight air feels empty and strange without the loud music that Tao always played before he decided to go home, feels empty without Tao by his side. Sehun can’t sleep because it feels like something’s missing. He realises then that he’s gotten used to the loud music or Tao's warmth, and will have to get used to nights without it once again.

Just like how he has to get used to a life without Tao.

After a long while of tossing and turning and confirming that Tao’s asleep, Sehun takes out his phone and puts on earplugs, replaying that evening of nothing but Tao, the beach, and their little world over and over again until he falls asleep to Tao’s adorable shrieks of glee.

 Tao, even though I don’t say it, even though I don’t admit it, you know I don’t think you’re ugly, right?

You know it’s the complete opposite, right?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

You know I’m in love with you, right?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Oh my gosh, do it right!” Tao sighs as he takes over and wraps his scarf around Sehun’s neck properly. Sehun sniffs in return.

“Well I’m sorry I have a cold!” Sehun talks back, and sneezes twice in a row.

“They never stop bickering.” Minseok points out to Lu Han and Jongdae, and they both nod in agreement.

“Makes me think twice before getting a girlfriend.” Jongdae replies.

“Who’d wanna date you anyway?” Lu Han speaks up, then lets out a cheeky grin when Jongdae’s lips curl in mock annoyance before he slaps Lu Han. Hard.

“You’re so stupid,” Tao says as he makes sure there is not a hole anywhere that will allow cold wind to blow on Sehun. “You know without me you wouldn’t be here today, right?”

“Right.” Sehun rolls his eyes but replies obediently, and then smiles sweetly and innocently. “Thank you, oppa.” Tao flushes.

“Now you’re just mocking me.” He complains and they both sit down, ready to eat dinner.

They eat quietly, not sure what to say because after today, Tao will be leaving.

Sehun wants to speak, but he’s afraid that if he does so, their time will be over in a second.

Tao wants to talk, but he’s afraid to, not because he doesn’t want to run out of things to say, but because he’s scared they’ll run out of time.

“Tao, Sehun!” A deep, gruff voice comes in between them, scaring them so much that they jump away. Their sport teacher is staring at the both of them intensely.

 “We have a competition against other schools tomorrow, you know that, right? Anyway, one of our participants is currently injured.” He says as he continues to look at them. He was one of our two three-legged race champions, so now we’re short on one team.”

“What I’m saying is, lads, that you guys should replace them.” Tao and Sehun both glance at each other. “It’s worth double the usual points, since it's the last event, and with you guys, we have a chance of winning the whole event. Seriously. I’ve seen the two of you work toegether.”

“I … uh,” Tao chuckles nervously. “I’m leaving tomorrow back to China, sir.” But the teacher doesn’t care, because he continues to stare at them with his ferociously wide eyes.

“I can’t find any other teams because to be honest, this school .” He replies truthfully. “But you two have something going on. Think about it, at least. If you decide to come, meet us in the school athletic fields tomorrow at 9am.  This is the most important event of the year! The three legged race is the last race. The whole school reputation’s counting on you.” Then he leaves.

“Are you …?” Sehun asks hopefully, because he wants Tao to miss his flight and stay here, even if it’s for one more day. “I mean, you leave in the evening, don’t you?”

“I can’t,” Tao replies sadly. “I can’t miss my flight.” I can’t miss the chance of going home. Those are the words left unsaid, but ones that scream out to Sehun more than anything Tao’s ever said before.

 

 

 

 

 

The night is silent once again, something that Sehun’s still not used to, no matter how hard he tries to.

Even though the air is quiet, Sehun knows Tao is awake just as Tao knows he’s awake, but they don’t say anything, because what they want to say is already clear enough in the air.

It’s our last night together.

I don’t want to sleep.

Me neither.

Let’s just stay like this for a while.

 

 

 

 “Tao, I don’t want to sleep.”

“Go sleep, silly. You have to have the energy to study for upcoming exams tomorrow.”

“Who cares? No one's going to study anyway. I’m never going to spend a night together with you ever again. Probably not.”

“Don’t be such a drama queen.”

“But it’s true, isn’t it? Even if we’re lucky, the next time we see each other might have to be in years.”

“Still – ”

“Just shut up, Tao. I’m already losing you, so why are you still trying to let me go so quickly?”

Tao falls silent as Sehun lets out a frustrated sigh. He’s ruined their moment, one where words don’t need to be spoken and where touches don’t need to be shared because each other’s presences are enough. Now the atmosphere is bristling with tension, one that Sehun’s been bottling up inside and accidentally lets out to make himself feel better – it doesn’t.

Still, this is better than nothing. Better than falling into a dreamless night, one without Tao by his side, without Tao in his mind.

He’s trying to reach out, to grab the last strings of consciousness, but eventually he’s falling deeper into the darkness, into those dreamless nights that he dreads. Worse, he’s falling asleep.

No, Sehun thinks desperately, let me stay … for one more minute, at least.

“Hunhun …” Tao’s voice rings softly in the air but Sehun doesn’t know if this is reality or the dream that’s beginning in his mind. “I’ve been thinking …”

Maybe sleeping is okay after all, if that means I can dream about Tao.

He doesn’t hear the rest of Tao’s sentence because he falls into dark oblivion.

 

 

 

 


I swear i saved this chapter earlier but it just vanished ._.

i think the next chapter's the last one so i hope you guys look forward to it ahahahahahah

thank you for reading this far ^u^