04

I'm Yours

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

My alarm goes off at 6 AM every morning, and today wasn’t any different.

 

The whole routine is now something too tedious for me to do. Waking up at 6 AM after only three hours of sleep is hell. Especially if you have to do this six out of the seven days in the week.

 

Get up. Wash my face. Brush my teeth. Blow dry my wet hair from last night’s shower. Change into my uniform. Put on some makeup, but nothing too noticeable because I’ll get in trouble for it.

 

I looked around the kitchen really quickly. It is 7:05 and I was supposed to be out of the house five minutes ago. No more bread and eggs took too long to cook. I run out of the house with an empty stomach and a extremely hangry face. I regret not going to the mart last night. I regret all the events last night.

 

As soon I stepped out of the house, I knocked down something small. I crouch down to discover a small carton of strawberry milk. I pick it up and examine it for a bit.

 

Strange, I thought to myself. I don’t usually order milk deliveries... and I don’t remember ordering anything for this month.

 

I took out the straw from its plastic covering, then unfolded the side of the carton, making a triangular shape at the top. I stick the straw in it and began drinking away as I ran for the bus. I almost missed it; by the time I got there, it was already very packed, but I managed to get in.

 

After riding for about 20 mins, I squirmed my way out of the bus, hair frazzled and only half way done with the milk. I almost spill my milk in the bus, but thankfully I didn’t.

 

Today was like any other day. Going to class, waiting for my homeroom teacher, then have Korean and Science in the morning. PE after recess and then Math before lunch. Everything was the same, till lunch.

 

At the start of lunch I was still in my seat, looking over the new material we received by our math teacher just a few moments ago. Everyone else was talking and eating, but I ignored them as I finished tidying.

 

Suddenly, I saw two hands setting down four onigiris and two cans of soda. I looked up to see Suho.

 

He proceeded to pull up the empty chair in front of me and sat down.

 

“... What are you doing here?”

 

He ignores me and opens one of the soda cans. After doing so, he held it towards me, offering me the can. Instead of taking it, I kept staring at him, confused and somewhat surprised.

 

“My arm is about to fall off.” He said. He wasn’t smiling, like usual. I guess he became impatient because he grabbed my hand and placed it on the side of the soda can, then pushed it towards me. I looked around and could tell the other girls in my class staring at me. I watch from the corner of my eye that they are whispering amongst themselves. I assume it is about us. Suho and I.

 

“Why are you ...”

 

“You’re so skinny. You should eat more.” He cut me off as he began peeling a wrapped onigiri, placing the finished product in my other hand.

 

He looks up at me with his solemn expensive and stares at me in silence. “Go ahead eat.” He tells me once more and continues to stare.

 

Feeling extremely awkward, I slowly bite off the tip of the rice ball, chewing, then swallowing it. After seeing me do so, Suho proceeds to take another one out, joining me in an uninvited lunch.

 

“Do you even know me?” I ask him

 

He looks up at me, chewing after taking a bite, then swallows with his finger pointing at my jacket. “It says Cha Hyunwoo on your name tag, so I’m guessing you’re Cha Hyunwoo.”

 

He continues to eat while I stare at him. He looks over at the corner of my desk. “Do you like strawberry milk?” He asks, taking a sip of his soda can. “I assumed all girls do so I got you that.”

 

So he was the one that left that in front of my house. That makes sense now.

 

“Why are you doing this?” I ask again. It was silent for a few seconds, then I watch him as he shrugs his shoulders, eating the rest of his rice ball.

 

“I just want to.”

 

I stare at him and he stares back at me. I don’t get what he is trying to do. And why he is doing this. Did he feel bad about yesterday?

 

“Thanks for yesterday,” I said calmly and looked down at my food.

 

“Just eat,” he said, bringing my hand with the Onigiri up to my mouth. “I bought you two, so you better eat both.”

 

I look up at him, and then down at the rice ball once more.

 

“I like chocolate milk better.” I started eating the rice ball. It probably looked more like me killing it. I was hungry. Unfortunately, I forgot that he was watching me eat, realizing how disgusting this might look.

 

After devouring the first onigiri within 15 seconds, I look up, with my mouth full, and see him. He was watching me eat the whole time. Instead of his jaws dropping, I see him crack a slight smile.

 

Shocking.

 

This is the first time I ever saw him smile, and it wasn’t as scary as I thought it would look.

 

He finally seemed human.

 

“What?” I inquired with my eyebrows furrowed, glaring at him. “You said to eat”

 

He his lips, and smiled.

 

“Just eat,” he said and started to eat his second rice ball in silence with a smile on his face.