01

I'm Yours

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Isn’t he so dreamy?”

 

“What?” I looked up, turning my head around to see who Chaeyeon was talking about. The classes at the school were divided by gender, and the only boy I saw in our class was Chanyeol, the Class Rep from Room 2-3, going over some last minute cramming before the test next period.

 

“Look he's passing by.”

 

I looked over towards the windows of the classroom and saw a guy walking by, with two other girls following behind him at a distance, and another two girls fangirling over him in the hallways.

 

“Isn’t that Suho?” I blinked my eyes as I tilted my head, turning my gaze back on to Chaeyeon again. She started to blush and grin, ear to ear. “Yeah that is,” she replied followed by a girly chuckle that she only uses for this kind of circumstance.

 

I laughed at her as I rolled my eyes, pushing her lightly by the arm. “Oh my god, what are you doing? Think about your boyfriend Baekhyun! He is so good to you, and you’re looking at other men behind his back?”

 

That just made Chaeyeon laugh even more as she pushed back a strand of hair behind her ear. “Well you know, it isn’t the same ... Baekhyun is still a year younger ... so yaknow...” I gave her the “I can’t believe you” look which just made Chaeyeon laugh even more. “I’m kidding! Suho is just eye candy,” she explained as she smiled to herself. I shook my head with discontent and went back to work.

 

“Did hear about the rumors though?”

 

I looked up from my hagwon workbook, “What rumors?”

 

“I heard,” she began with a hushed whisper, “that he used to be in a gang!”

 

“What the hell,” I exclaimed and looked at her. “Yeah right! Who's spreading that bull around?”

 

“That’s what I heard! Mina told me that one of her hagwon friends went to school with Suho in our first year. He was supposedly the leader of this gang there!”

 

“I doubt that's true. Suho places within in the top ten for every test we take. He doesn't seem the type to be involved in that kind of stuff” I protested, shaking my head. “Sounds like Mina has been watching too many dramas!”

 

“Wait I’m pretty sure its true. You know how Mina is the gossip queen at our school, but she is never wrong. I mean think about it Hyunwoo, the way he acts, the fact that he doesn’t talk to anyone or does anything else but study and walk around.”

 

Suho had transferred into our school at the end of our first year, and from what others have been saying, Suho was really quiet and kept to himself. He rarely talked and no one has ever seen him smile before either.

 

“Well.. I guess it might be possible.” I shrugged it off and went back to work.

 

I kept thinking about what Chaeyeon said, and it was a clearly a huge mistake too. Here I was being distracted by thoughts of a stranger when I had a huge midterm coming up next period. But Chaeyeon did have a point, that he was rather strange. But then again, what does that have to do with me?

 

 

 

“Hey Hyunwoo,” Chanyeol was standing next to me with a serious look.

 

“Hey Chanyeol, wassup?” I smiled as I looked up from my work.

 

“Studying as usual,” he reached out his hand to put behind his head as he scratched it shyly. “Listen, I’m sorry about your dad. I wasn’t able to make the funeral on time since I was out on vacation with my family.”

 

My heart felt a sharp pain, and my body soon felt numb all over, but I pretended to not notice. “Nah, it’s chill! It was really short notice anyways. And your dad ended up coming!”

 

"Yeah, he kind of went home early because of it." He started to shuffle his feet about awkwardly. I could even feel the atmosphere change around us. “I heard you moved too,” he said, biting his lip. “It must be pretty hard adjusting, isn’t it?”

 

I shook my head and smiled, “It isn’t that bad. My dad’s company still sends me some money every two weeks, so I'm pretty comfortable.”

 

Chanyeol then took out a white envelope and placed it on my desk. “My dad wanted me to give this to you. He was in such a rush to get to the funeral that he didn’t have time to give you this then.”

 

“Chanyeol ...” I said, pushing away the envelope. “You don’t need to do this.”

 

“It’s only proper. Besides, your dad was a good friend of my dad’s. This is the least we can do.” He pushed it back towards me and then placed it in my hands this time. “Mom said that you can come over whenever to eat dinner with us.”

 

The bell rang for fourth period to start. “I’ll catch up with you later,” Chanyeol said as he waved to me. “Good luck on the test!”

 

“You too! Thanks Chanyeol,” I smiled and waved back. I started to reorganize my desk, putting away my workbook and the envelope. As I looked up to see the front of the desk, the corner of my eye caught something moving. I turned my head to see Suho walking back to class, with another entourage trailing behind him. This time, I stared at him more intently, studying his facial features quickly before I couldn’t see him anymore. I guess he was good looking, like everyone has said, but he seemed like a jerk.

 

“Are you ready?” Chaeyeon turned around smiling.

 

I chuckled and shook my head.

 

Chaeyeon reached over and took off my white pin*** in my hair. ”good luck!"

 

 

 

I nodded smiling. "You too."





 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

*** Korean culture- When a parent dies, the daughters of the parent must wear a white ribboned pin in their hair to show that they are mourning.